PDA

View Full Version : Why does Stoops' call-in show have to be so painful??

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2006, 11:28 AM
It's like, the only people calling in are the folks who don't own computers or have cable TV. Or are total football beginners. Or are mildly retarded. You know those people at the games you want to throat punch, who bitch & moan out loud about the stupidest things? They pretty much monolopize the airtime on Stoops' show.

I'm guilty as anyone of not calling in; I promised myself I'm gonna call next week. We all oughtta start calling in. The lines are always open, and I get the feeling Stoops is dying up there for a halfway intelligent caller to ask him an almost-intelligent question or two.

Do any of you guys and gals listen to his call-in show? Thoughts?

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 11:33 AM
It's like, the only people calling in are the folks who don't own computers or have cable TV. Or are total football beginners. Or are mildly retarded. You know those people at the games you want to throat punch, who bitch & moan out loud about the stupidest things? They pretty much monolopize the airtime on Stoops' show.

I'm guilty as anyone of not calling in; I promised myself I'm gonna call next week. We all oughtta start calling in. The lines are always open, and I get the feeling Stoops is dying up there for a halfway intelligent caller to ask him an almost-intelligent question or two.

Do any of you guys and gals listen to his call-in show? Thoughts?

They are nothing compared to the callers for Al's postgame show on the animal. My ears start to bleed sometimes after a few minutes.

NormanPride
9/6/2006, 11:42 AM
"Hey, what u guys think of a OU-OSU big 12 champ'ship?"

And then the occasional 12 year old texas fan who doesn't even know the name of their starting WRs. Ugh.

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2006, 11:51 AM
"Bob, what do you think about Larry Coker's status, since, you know, they lost at home to FSU and all?"

:confused:

Pricetag
9/6/2006, 11:54 AM
They are nothing compared to the callers for Al's postgame show on the animal. My ears start to bleed sometimes after a few minutes.
I used to like it when someone would call in and then hold the receiver up to a flushing toilet whenever he'd get on the air.

fadada1
9/6/2006, 11:58 AM

DUDE, the would be classic!!!!

;)

JonnyRed
9/6/2006, 12:23 PM

I didn't catch the show but please tell me some OU fan didn't say this.

Egeo
9/6/2006, 12:26 PM
sooo... uhhh...
when and where does this show come on... and what is the number and stuff?

bweezie
9/6/2006, 12:33 PM

how is that possible since both are in the south division?

picasso
9/6/2006, 12:34 PM
all call-in shows are painful.

I think Bob earns his money with things like this.

soonerinabilene
9/6/2006, 12:38 PM
please, dear god, let nick call! that would be an instant classic!
nick-"so, how do you plan to replace the best o.c. of all time chuck long, especially since you have forgotten how to coach and should just go ahead and resign?"
bob- "aww, i love talking with M.H.M.R. kids. Whats your name little fella?"

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2006, 12:39 PM
sooo... uhhh...
when and where does this show come on... and what is the number and stuff?

Sorry! It's on AM 1520 on Tuesdays from 7-8 PM; I believe KREF (AM 1400) covers it too. The number is (877) 600-6432.

..as I'm typing this, I realize maybe that's why more sane ppl don't call in. Kref's signal doesn't stretch very far... and sometimes, I forget 1520 exists.

Egeo
9/6/2006, 12:41 PM
thanks
there is a sports animal station now near tulsa... 97.3 i think

and noticed on thursdays there is an assistant coach call in show
google is my friend

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2006, 12:42 PM
indeed.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2475&&ATCLID=24461

1991SOONER
9/6/2006, 12:54 PM

For a minute there I was like....whuuuuaaaaattt???? :confused:

Stoop Dawg
9/6/2006, 12:54 PM
Since when did Bob NOT act like a question asked of him was the dumbest thing he's ever heard? It's his calling card.

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 01:00 PM
uhh Bob, I was noticin' that AD gained more yards when he had on black cleats. Do you plan on switching from white back to black cleats next game?

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 01:01 PM
Hey Bob, I was wondering, it burns when I pee. Do you think I should go to the Doctor? I'll take the answer off of the air.

msteudem
9/6/2006, 01:02 PM
I used to like it when someone would call in and then hold the receiver up to a flushing toilet whenever he'd get on the air.

I called up a sports radio show (Sports Rock) last year before the season begin and impersonated Beavis and Butthead saying stuff like We love Bob he rocks and at the end of my spiel I said the only bowl game that Texas is going to is this one. At this point I held the phone up to the toilet and flushed it. The DJs were cracking up laughing. (This was a Christian based sports show which made it even better)

Course them darn longhorns had to go win the dang MNC, so I guess I was wrong in my prediciton :rolleyes:

OUstudent4life
9/6/2006, 01:02 PM
uhh Bob, I was noticin' that AD gained more yards when he had his name on the back of his jersey? Do you plan on switching back to the old jerseys next game?

:D

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 01:04 PM
Bob, my mother in law wants to move in with the wife and me. Should we make her share a room with our baby or give her her own room. Should we let her move in at all?

TIA

SoonerPr8r
9/6/2006, 01:40 PM
Hey Bob, are you coaching the basketball teem now cause that would be sweet.

tator
9/6/2006, 01:47 PM
"Bob, what do you think about Larry Coker's status, since, you know, they lost at home to FSU and all?"

:confused:

i heard that call last night. i was driving home and got all disoriented and dizzy.

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2006, 01:47 PM
Since when did Bob NOT act like a question asked of him was the dumbest thing he's ever heard? It's his calling card.

But dude, you should hear some of these questions/comments. It's bad and unlike his responses to the media, he tries his best to come up with a good answer and be very polite.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 01:53 PM
please, dear god, let nick call! that would be an instant classic!
nick-"so, how do you plan to replace the best o.c. of all time chuck long, especially since you have forgotten how to coach and should just go ahead and resign?"
bob- "aww, i love talking with M.H.M.R. kids. Whats your name little fella?"

Classic! :D

jackietreehorn
9/6/2006, 02:00 PM
how is that possible since both are in the south division?

that's the point genious.

really though-- someone did call into al's show a couple years ago asking,

caller: "So Al, what are the chances that OU plays osu in the big12 championship this year?"

Al: ".................................................. ............. c-ya. back to the phones."

true story, swear to God.

picasso
9/6/2006, 02:15 PM
Jim in Checotah, you're on with coach Stoops.

"hey coach, yew remember me? I saw you at Red Lobster in Norman that one time. I'm short, dark hair. We asked yew to sign ma wife's teet."

"hey coach, how come yew didn't put Paul Thompson in for Paul Thompson against TCU last year. And maybe even last week?"

bweezie
9/6/2006, 02:16 PM
that's the point genious.

really though-- someone did call into al's show a couple years ago asking,

caller: "So Al, what are the chances that OU plays osu in the big12 championship this year?"

Al: ".................................................. ............. c-ya. back to the phones."

true story, swear to God.
oh, ok. you misspelled genius, by the way.

picasso
9/6/2006, 02:19 PM
"hey coach. yew ever been with a big woman? I mean REEEEEL big. I love me some big womens."

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 02:22 PM
Hey coach, Jerry here from Ardmore...

"hey coach, were you proud of the clarinets lining up first?"

47straight
9/6/2006, 02:32 PM
"hey coach, what does ENA stand for? and who do you like in high school district 5A-2?"

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 02:36 PM
"Hey Coach, Matt from Hominy here, do you ever eat when you're sitting on the terlit?"

stoopified
9/6/2006, 02:38 PM
lot of people( myself included )are nervous about asking Bob a question since he is often less than polite with a question he considers stupid. Last season I called in and asked him why JD never carried the ball.I suggested that if JD got the ball handed to him 2-3 times a game LBs would have think for just a second before charging after AD.Bob eeplied that AD IS the best runner but that I might have a point.The next week on a fake punt on 4th and short JD got the ball and the first down.I have taken credit for that call ever since.

Btw most(not all) stations that carry the games carry the call-in show.

TheUnnamedSooner
9/6/2006, 02:43 PM
oh, ok. you misspelled genius, by the way.

"Next time you have a thought, just shut up"
- Ron White

OklahomaTuba
9/6/2006, 02:45 PM
coach, can you explain the playcalling at the end of the sugarbowl again. I'll listen off the air, thanks.

badger
9/6/2006, 02:46 PM
heeeey bobby. don't you wish you started paul thompson instead of jason white at the sugar bowl???

(I heard he gets ****ed at that question, especially when it comes from an armchair quarterback)

picasso
9/6/2006, 03:13 PM
"Hey Coach, Matt from Hominy here, do you ever eat when you're sitting on the terlit?"
"ahhhhh certainly there Matt. my whole family grew up eatin on the toilet back in Ohio."

MikeInNorman
9/6/2006, 03:16 PM
It's called a "call screener", folks.

SouthFortySooner
9/6/2006, 05:29 PM
this call wud be dynomite,

uh yeah Coach Stoops did you think we woulda done better with Bomar?...

EXPLOSION SOUND

the_ouskull
9/6/2006, 10:25 PM
I didn't catch the show but please tell me some OU fan didn't say this.

Find me ONE OU fan that thinks that OSU will EVER play in the B12CG.

the_ouskull

Sooner_Havok
9/6/2006, 10:39 PM
Coach Stoops, this be Henry Lee Rambler from Gotebo, naw does ya'll think that use might haven a shot a beetin Tejas this yer, seeing as use got them home filed advantage?

Ash
9/6/2006, 10:49 PM
Not just for Stoops' show, I seem to hear this or some variation on every show:
this is Billy Ray from Arpelar, we got us a reel good football play'r down 'ere, name is Bobby Jack Bumpkis, I wanna know why you didn't recruit him up there. Yer lettin' the instate talent git away!

Dio
9/6/2006, 10:50 PM
Coach, this here's Clem from Okemah. My question is- does you think the Pride plays loud enough?

goingoneight
9/6/2006, 11:00 PM
Bob, Boo for President! :stunned:

47straight
9/6/2006, 11:25 PM
"Hey coach, Justin from Ixl here... whatcha think about that soonerfans.com tailgate? you ever walk over and git some chicken right before a game?"

bweezie
9/7/2006, 12:07 AM
"Next time you have a thought, just shut up"
- Ron White
"Next time you have a thought, just let it go" sounds more like it.

Sooner98
9/7/2006, 12:25 AM
"Hey coach, Frank Bob from Madill here...are we gonna beat OSU this year? Oh, and do you know where I can get a Boomer Sooner ringtone? I'll take it off the air."

Blue
9/7/2006, 12:50 AM
This thread is hilarious. In a GREAT WAY.

Howzit Coach! L.J. from Waurika here. Ya ever think about puttin one of dem air conditioned domes in up der in Norman? I sweat like a whore in church on gameday. Anyway, Git r' done Coach. We're behind ya.

Eddie Money
9/7/2006, 12:52 AM

One of the many things I love about him - he has put more dums *** media people in their place than their idiotic predictions do.

The best radio in the world was in the Blake era on the postgame show after we would lose to East Popcorn State at home - I'm sure anyone who heard it remembers this, but Joe Dickinson was on after we got beat by someone ridiculous (I think Tulsa, maybe) and he got a call like this:

"Yes, coach, two questions. One, what kind of a hat were you pulling those plays out of and two, where do you think you will be coaching next year? Thanks and I'll take that off the air."

Well Joe D bit hook, line, and sinker and he got pretty upest. I don't remember his exact response, but I do remember him in that accent of his saying "If you think you can do a better job buddy, why don't you just come on down here" and then I think he mentioned he would "whoop" the kid, but I'm not exactly sure.

TrophyCollector
9/7/2006, 01:38 AM
One of the many things I love about him - he has put more dums *** media people in their place than their idiotic predictions do.

The best radio in the world was in the Blake era on the postgame show after we would lose to East Popcorn State at home - I'm sure anyone who heard it remembers this, but Joe Dickinson was on after we got beat by someone ridiculous (I think Tulsa, maybe) and he got a call like this:

"Yes, coach, two questions. One, what kind of a hat were you pulling those plays out of and two, where do you think you will be coaching next year? Thanks and I'll take that off the air."

Well Joe D bit hook, line, and sinker and he got pretty upest. I don't remember his exact response, but I do remember him in that accent of his saying "If you think you can do a better job buddy, why don't you just come on down here" and then I think he mentioned he would "whoop" the kid, but I'm not exactly sure.

Haha, classic! How about Boo after losing to CU...
"If we get the one, then we can go for the two. But if we get the two, then we can get the one. That's what we were thinking."