PDA

View Full Version : ARgh.

proud gonzo
9/6/2006, 12:36 AM
I think maybe it says something about the school of journalism here that as a senior i'm taking an upper division class called INTRO to professional writing that feels like high school english.

i thought i had gotten away from busy work. I just did a frickin VOCABULARY assignment. I didn't just get to look up definitions--i got to look up definitions, write my own definition, and find a quote using the word. The words were:

Emotions
Feelings
Emoting
Conscious
Subconscious
Self-awareness
Denial
Human Condition
Awareness
MEtaphysical
Intuition
Truth
Suffering
Transcendence

I have a vocabulary word for our professor:

RETARDED:
"characterized by retardation--a slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay."

my definition: stupid, pointless, and needing to be kicked in the head

"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded." Brick Tamland

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/6/2006, 12:47 AM
I have a word for you: quityerbitchin

Definition: STFU
My Def: Oh Good Lord Someone Make it STOP!

"Newbie, you're talking to a bunch old codgers that think folks who walked both ways uphill in the snow to school were (and I quote) 'The Good Old Days.' You may think that farts complaining here and there about everything under the sun entitles you to the same, Carol. However (and you can bet your bottom dollar on this one) nobody here reads what other people write. All those other letters on the page are simply there to justify my spending $49.95 per month on the broadband internet while at the same time allowing me to pretend I have friends outside of this room. So, in fact, Shirl, I think I speak for everyone here (and I'm going to say it even if I don't) when I say... quityerbitchin." -Dr. Cox from Scrubs

StoopTroup
9/6/2006, 12:48 AM
Heh.

GottaHavePride
9/6/2006, 12:54 AM
I have a word for you: quityerbitchin

Definition: STFU
My Def: Oh Good Lord Someone Make it STOP!

"Newbie, you're talking to a bunch old codgers that think folks who walked both ways uphill in the snow to school were (and I quote) 'The Good Old Days.' You may think that farts complaining here and there about everything under the sun entitles you to the same, Carol. However (and you can bet your bottom dollar on this one) nobody here reads what other people write. All those other letters on the page are simply there to justify my spending $49.95 per month on the broadband internet while at the same time allowing me to pretend I have friends outside of this room. So, in fact, Shirl, I think I speak for everyone here (and I'm going to say it even if I don't)... quityerbitchin." -Dr. Cox from Scrubs

There has to be some way to hack the board software so that admins can recieve unlimited amounts of green-spek, bypassing the usual rules.

until then, YMSSRA...

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 12:58 AM
Man, I remember when I was a senior in Economics and had to take real classes that actually taught stuff.

Oh, no, wait. I forgot. It was Economics.

Ike
9/6/2006, 01:26 AM
I think maybe it says something about the school of journalism here that as a senior i'm taking an upper division class called INTRO to professional writing that feels like high school english.

i thought i had gotten away from busy work. I just did a frickin VOCABULARY assignment. I didn't just get to look up definitions--i got to look up definitions, write my own definition, and find a quote using the word. The words were:

Emotions
Feelings
Emoting
Conscious
Subconscious
Self-awareness
Denial
Human Condition
Awareness
MEtaphysical
Intuition
Truth
Suffering
Transcendence

RETARDED:
"characterized by retardation--a slowing down or hindering of progress; a delay."

"People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me that I have an I.Q. of 48 and am what some people call mentally retarded." Brick Tamland

Perhaps in your assignment you should write for your own definition "irrelevant as far as journalism is concerned"

SicEmBaylor
9/6/2006, 05:38 AM
The only class I've ever had that felt like a high school class was my Texas Constitution class. It was required for Education majors and PoliSci majors alike. Both departments offered the class, but the PoliSci one filled up so I ended up taking it with the ED department.

There were a total of 6 of us in that class taught by this attorney who had never taught before. We never honestly did a damned thing. It worked out well though becuase she didn't know how to teach and, since everyone in the class (except for me) was an Education major, they didn't know how to learn.

Chuck Bao
9/6/2006, 09:17 AM
Gawd that sucks!

You're paying how much for that class?

It seems you should get a rebate or something if the class isn't up to standards.

I taught one year at a university. Yeah right, what university would be crazy enough to allow me to teach?

I found that the hardest was a intro business course for non-business majors. They didn't want to be there. I was bored and didn't want to be there.

The upper level business courses were so much more fun to teach.

OU4LIFE
9/6/2006, 09:38 AM
There's nothing more entertaining than a PG complaint.

I beg to differ:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1524268&postcount=116

OUstudent4life
9/6/2006, 09:44 AM
I think maybe it says something about the school of journalism here when it's named after the Gaylords.

Fixed :D

colleyvillesooner
9/6/2006, 09:46 AM
I beg to differ:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1524268&postcount=116

I thought for sure that was gonna be your thread about the hole in one.

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 10:34 AM
The only class I've ever had that felt like a high school class was my Texas Constitution class. It was required for Education majors and PoliSci majors alike. Both departments offered the class, but the PoliSci one filled up so I ended up taking it with the ED department.

There were a total of 6 of us in that class taught by this attorney who had never taught before. We never honestly did a damned thing. It worked out well though becuase she didn't know how to teach and, since everyone in the class (except for me) was an Education major, they didn't know how to learn.

You're a Poli Sci major, dude. I wouldn't be throwing stones if I were you.

NormanPride
9/6/2006, 11:18 AM
My favorite past-time while I was still taking bs classes like that was to make up stupid definitions and even more stupid sentences. Most of those assignments were "no answer is really wrong" pieces of trash, so I treated them as such.

OU4LIFE
9/6/2006, 11:25 AM
I thought for sure that was gonna be your thread about the hole in one.

I'm trying to just let other people talk about my hole-in-one now.....it seems to be working.:D

Viking Kitten
9/6/2006, 12:02 PM

Emotions
Feelings
Emoting
Conscious
Subconscious
Self-awareness
Denial
Human Condition
Awareness
MEtaphysical
Intuition
Truth
Suffering
Transcendence

RETARDED:

See PG... the thing you've got to realize is, though you are able to write well, your peers probably can't. In fact, they suck at it. Trust me. I spent the summer interviewing interns, and you would be appalled at how lousy their writing is. We're talking about seniors with high GPAs and even some master's students here. When the intern candidate is from OU, it's downright embarrassing. Please let the little boogers practice in peace so that I don't have to be embarrassed anymore.

GottaHavePride
9/6/2006, 04:02 PM
Perhaps in your assignment you should write for your own definition "irrelevant as far as journalism is concerned"

I told her she should take all her definitions from UrbanDictionary.com and when she comes up with her own definition it should be "Denial - asking college seniors to do a middle-school level assignment for a degree-required course."

GottaHavePride
9/6/2006, 04:10 PM
The best definitions from UrbanDictionary?

Emotions - Emotions is the word for dumbasses who can't spell emoticons.

Feelings - Feeling are for bitches

Emoting - Giving off an emo (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo) vibe (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=vibe).

Denial - The first sign that you are a Trekkie.

Awareness - Another word for intellegence used in the middle-class ghetto.

Intuition - A person who very annoying on Team Speak. He speaks in a super- sonic extra high voice. And uses lame terms like "GG", "OMG", "HI2U", "What the **** did you say to me", "Your Mother"

Truth - Something which would probably upset a great many of people if it were known and made public.

:D

proud gonzo
9/6/2006, 04:19 PM
HEH. I like that definition of Truth :D

Jimminy Crimson
9/6/2006, 04:21 PM
since everyone in the class (except for me) was an Education major, they didn't know how to learn.

heh :D

proud gonzo
9/11/2006, 12:31 AM
11 ****ing pages of homework for class tomorrow, not including the 3 query letters that were assigned that i'm not doing.

It's not just that I think 11 pages are enough or that I haven't even had time to do my laundry for the past two weeks or even that I procrastinated some on the assignment. I just think it's a little stupid to be doing an assignment when I have been taught nothing. If all the information I need to be a professonal writer is in this goddamned text book then why do I need to take a class? I challenge my bonehead professor to teach me something, anything at all tomorrow in class and I will eagerly do any lame-*** assignment immediately with a crazy ren-wearing-the-happy-helmet smile on my face. I defy him to further my education! I stomp my feet at him and go "neener neener" with my thumbs in my ears!!!

Vaevictis
9/11/2006, 12:44 AM
See PG... the thing you've got to realize is, though you are able to write well, your peers probably can't. In fact, they suck at it. Trust me. I spent the summer interviewing interns, and you would be appalled at how lousy their writing is.

I always wondered why they made us take writing classes in college. I guess I now know why. :/

Of course, it's not limited to writing. A friend of mine actually had a Mech Eng PhD student ask him, "What does this pi/2 symbol mean?"

(which means, apparently, no matter what the level of education, it's impossible to take any level of expertise, no matter how trivial, for granted)

critical_phil
9/11/2006, 12:50 AM
i have a 15 page paper on schizoaffective disorder due in a few weeks if you're looking for something challenging...

just PM it to me when you're done.

PhxSooner
9/11/2006, 12:58 AM
11 ****ing pages of homework for class tomorrow, not including the 3 query letters that were assigned that i'm not doing.

Holy carp. I never had 11 pages of homework. Of course, I was an Econ major, so...I can't remember any homework.:D

I took technical writing for business majors. Easiest class I ever had, but dang'd if there weren't juniors and seniors who seriously could not write a coherent sentence.

Vaevictis
9/11/2006, 01:03 AM

Heh, come on over and take my DSP class with me. 30 page lab reports are the norm. I'd kill for 11 pages ;)

Ike
9/11/2006, 01:06 AM

It's not just that I think 11 pages are enough or that I haven't even had time to do my laundry for the past two weeks or even that I procrastinated some on the assignment. I just think it's a little stupid to be doing an assignment when I have been taught nothing. If all the information I need to be a professonal writer is in this goddamned text book then why do I need to take a class? I challenge my bonehead professor to teach me something, anything at all tomorrow in class and I will eagerly do any lame-*** assignment immediately with a crazy ren-wearing-the-happy-helmet smile on my face. I defy him to further my education! I stomp my feet at him and go "neener neener" with my thumbs in my ears!!!

At the beginning of class, ask him "what is the sound of **** happening?"

after class tell him "that was it"

It's not like he cares. His money comes from whatever it is that journalism professors do in the time they are not teaching.

proud gonzo
9/11/2006, 08:25 AM
that's an awesome idea :D