PDA

View Full Version : With new rules and fewer plays per game...

Soonerus
9/5/2006, 10:01 PM
...turnovers are going to have a magnified effect on all games this year...I will project the teams with most favorable turnover ratio will be the top teams this year...it is like each turnover is equal to 1 1/2 this year....

sooner13f
9/5/2006, 10:08 PM
I will project the teams with the most wins are the top teams.:D

Turnovers usually have something to do with that.

sooneron
9/5/2006, 10:08 PM
Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. It's a good point. Sort of like Stoops saying that the underdogs have a better chance with less time.

sooner13f
9/5/2006, 10:13 PM
They always say underdogs should take up the clock. Make the game shorter. Well that only works if the other teams is not just running the ball all day and you cant stop them. Just as bad as saying the D has been on the field all day. Well if they stopped them they wouldnt be....Oh whatever.

Soonerus
9/5/2006, 10:15 PM
Ooh, I hadn't thought about that. It's a good point. Sort of like Stoops saying that the underdogs have a better chance with less time.

Which makes our victory over UAB even more impressive....

Bruiser53
9/5/2006, 10:18 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly what the new timing rules are. I think they are great, games were starting to get a little long in my opinon.

Soonerus
9/5/2006, 10:20 PM
The effect is you get slightly over 50 offensive plays per game, under old rules slightly over 70 offensive plays per game....big difference....

sooner13f
9/5/2006, 10:22 PM
You can look here and read them along with the other rule changes. Uhhh have fun with that and let me know.

http://www1.ncaa.org/eprise/main/playingrules/football/NCAANewsletter2006.pdf?ObjectID=40647&ViewMode=0&PreviewState=0#search=%22ncaa%20football%20timing% 20rule%22

boomersooner82
9/6/2006, 01:59 PM
Can anyone tell me exactly what the new timing rules are. I think they are great, games were starting to get a little long in my opinon.

Is that a bad thing? I'm of the opinion that more football is better than less.

Running the fewer plays than we have in 40 years is a not good. The fans are getting royally screwed out of some football.

r5TPsooner
9/6/2006, 02:07 PM
The games do seem to be moving a little quicker this year.

Ground_Attack
9/6/2006, 02:45 PM
its only good for the TV networks. As BS82 said, the fans are the ones getting screwed by the new changes. For the price of my season tickets, I want all the plays I can get! If the games are too long for you, go watch a horse race instead.

85Sooner
9/6/2006, 03:07 PM
The networks suck. Just run all the ads during halftime and go commercial free during the game. Who needs to listen to those twits repeat themselves over and over for 15 minutes. Bring back football.

Texas Golfer
9/6/2006, 03:14 PM
I don't like the shortened game either.

What's funny is how some say all off-season long about how they can't wait for college football to return and then complain that the game is too long.

daddywarbucks
9/6/2006, 08:20 PM
It would be different if they would add a couple extra games at the end of the year to "recover" this time but it wont happen. Simple math if its an average of ohh even 15 offensive plays a game over a span of 12 games thats 180 plays...a couple of games.... these new rules Blow harder than texas cheerleaders...

Eddie Money
9/7/2006, 12:55 AM
The effect is you get slightly over 50 offensive plays per game, under old rules slightly over 70 offensive plays per game....big difference....

I didn't realize it was that much. We may need to go to no huddle in the first half to get AD properly warmed up.

nanimonai
9/7/2006, 01:28 AM
Rule tinkering shouldn't affect the outcome of games as seriously as this could.

We basically get a watered-down game and the netowrk gets to cram in more commercials.

RedstickSooner
9/7/2006, 01:50 PM
If they want to shorten the time the games take, they could do a lot of it by using the play clock -- start the play clock the instant any play is blown dead, giving extra time for some sorts of plays (like change of posessions, or after scoring).

But having the play clock run doesn't mean the game clock has to run. If teams were forced to do certain things faster (like kickoffs), the game'd be shortened without losing any plays.

soonerhubs
9/7/2006, 02:15 PM
Well, since the rule can't change anytime soon, are there any ideas as to how the coaches could use this to their advantage?

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/7/2006, 03:29 PM
It also resulted in 100 yards less offense per game than the first week of 2005.

Folks are saying that Peterson needs 2000 yards to get the heisman. Let's say he averages 4 less touches per game. His career average is 5.4 yds per carry. That means over a 12 game season, he would get 259.2 less yards than he would have under the old clock rules (all else being equal).

There's a really big difference between 2000 yards and 1741 in the eyes of everyone.

r5TPsooner
9/7/2006, 04:21 PM
It also makes it really hard if you're the team trying to make a comeback in the final few minutes of a game.

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/7/2006, 04:38 PM
It also makes it really hard if you're the team trying to make a comeback in the final few minutes of a game.

If the rules were in effect last year, neither USC nor Texas wins the National title.