PDA

View Full Version : GHP and PG, this might interest you....

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 09:06 PM
Your hometown minor league baseball team is going to be a lame duck next season:

"Springdale approves contract with Wichita Wranglers

SPRINGDALE, Ark. (AP) — After weeks of wrangling, Springdale city officials on Tuesday approved a contract to bring a minor league baseball team to northwest Arkansas in 2008.
By a 6-1 vote, the Springdale City Council approved the contract with the Wichita Wranglers.
The stadium — paid for by a $50 million bond package approved by voters in July — will be leased to the Wranglers for $325,000 annually.
The bond proposal covers the purchase of land, a $33 million stadium and infrastructure improvements. Construction is expected to last 18 months.
The Wranglers, a Texas League team, are owned by Rich Baseball Inc. of Buffalo, N.Y."

royalfan5
9/5/2006, 09:18 PM
The Wranglers haven't been all that thrilled with their situation for awhile so I'm not real surprised by this. It also puts the AA club much closer to David Glass as well.

BoogercountySooner
9/5/2006, 09:20 PM
Will we be able to drink Beers at the games is an important question!

GottaHavePride
9/5/2006, 10:52 PM
Your hometown minor league baseball team is going to be a lame duck next season:

"Springdale approves contract with Wichita Wranglers

SPRINGDALE, Ark. (AP) — After weeks of wrangling, Springdale city officials on Tuesday approved a contract to bring a minor league baseball team to northwest Arkansas in 2008.
By a 6-1 vote, the Springdale City Council approved the contract with the Wichita Wranglers.
The stadium — paid for by a $50 million bond package approved by voters in July — will be leased to the Wranglers for $325,000 annually.
The bond proposal covers the purchase of land, a $33 million stadium and infrastructure improvements. Construction is expected to last 18 months.
The Wranglers, a Texas League team, are owned by Rich Baseball Inc. of Buffalo, N.Y."

I heard about that when I was up there over the summer. Of course, Wichita is bad about that. They also managed to let one of the oldest existing pro soccer franchises in the country (the Wichita Wings) fold a few years back. The only sports Wichita supports are WSU baseball and WSU basketball. Anything else is pretty much ignored.

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2006, 11:00 PM
Rich Baseball Inc. of Buffalo, N.Y."

We're everywhere.

Actually, that is us. Just a distant branch. At least I assume it's the same family that Rich Stadium used to be named after.

proud gonzo
9/5/2006, 11:40 PM
Woo! that's perfect since everybody there is paying higher taxes to put in a brand new downtown arena that won't have any parking or purpose!!

:rolleyes: :mad:

tards.

Mixer!
9/6/2006, 07:10 AM
No love for the Wichita Thunder?

bastards! :mack:

Fugue
9/6/2006, 08:31 AM
No love for the Wichita Thunder?

bastards! :mack:

I loves me some Thunda. They average between 5 and 6k a game.

Funny pic I found. I was doing some research into baseball that was played in 1800's Wichita. There was a Negro league team called the Monrovians(sp?). I found a pic of one of there games. Guess who they were playing.
You got it, an area kkk team. The Monrovians won. heh

Hate_Texas
9/6/2006, 11:01 AM
the Newass Rippers....

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 11:04 AM
Hey, if you want to watch baseball, there's always the Liberal,KS BJs.

Yep, the Liberal BJs.

Sometimes, jokes just write themselves.

Fugue
9/6/2006, 11:08 AM
Hey, if you want to watch baseball, there's always the Liberal,KS BJs.

Yep, the Liberal BJs.

Sometimes, jokes just write themselves.

they draw better than the Wranglers too. The whole town shows up for those games and they play or used to play in the middle of a horse track.

Mixer!
9/6/2006, 11:36 AM
Used to - the games were held in the infield of the 5 State Fair Speedway. They now play at the local community college.

As for the name: (http://www.cityofliberal.com/thingstodo/recreation/beejays.html)

The Bee Jays are named after baseball pioneer Byron Bancroft Johnson, the creator of the American Baseball League. After a short stint as a baseball player, "Ban" Johnson took over a struggling minor league circuit in 1893, made it a success, and changed it's name to the American League.

BigRedJed
9/6/2006, 11:44 AM
Back when I was growing up in Wichitittay, we had a triple A team. The Aeros. Triple A, then AA, now no A. Sounds like they're moving in the wrong direction.

royalfan5
9/6/2006, 11:48 AM
Back when I was growing up in Wichitittay, we had a triple A team. The Aeros. Triple A, then AA, now no A. Sounds like they're moving in the wrong direction.
I'm sure the new American Association will give them a team. Fort Worth, El Paso, St. Paul, Lincoln, Sioux City, Sioux Falls, Shreveport, and Pensacola are in it now. That would probably give Wichita some baseball.

Cam
9/6/2006, 08:22 PM
The Aeros, now you're showing your age. ;)

We were back in Wichita 3 or 4 weeks ago and it sounded like it was a done deal then. I'm kind of surprised it's taken this long for them to bolt. I remember when they used to put stacks of free tickets at the local QT.

Before the Thunder, there was the Wichita Wind. Those games were fun. The players used to give away old sticks and we'd play street hockey in the winter.

Broke my heart when the Wings folded. Had a 3 week try out with them after college. Met and played with/for a ton of great guys who played for the Wings.