PDA

View Full Version : Miami next year

tbl
9/5/2006, 08:11 PM
So I'm wondering if Coker is gonna get fired, and Miami will be in a slight case of disarray next year. I want some sweet revenge, and I'll take anything that will help us to acheive that.

I looked and here are the seniors on their roster:
Mark Lisante DL
Bryan Pata DL
Chris Napoli OL
Brian Monroe P
Tyrone Moss RB
Darnell Jenkins WR
Anthony Wollschlager C
Baraka Atkins DL
Kareem Brown DT
Jon Peattie K
Francesco Zampogna K
Alex Pou OL
Brandon Meriweather S
Ryan Moore WR

I'm not sure how much of an impact losing these guys is gonna make...

Point of this thread? I'm not sure....

OUGreg723
9/5/2006, 08:20 PM
Coker wont get fired. He's won a MNC, Played for the MNC two times, 2 BCS Bowl victories, recruited well, Bear Bryant coach of the year in 2001, went 22-0 to start his career, has 3 conference titles, is 5-3 vs FSU, has a 53-11 record and 42 players drafted while at Miami.

You cant do much better than that. Miami is crazy if they let Coker go.

starclassic tama
9/5/2006, 08:24 PM
looking at those seniors, they lose a fair bit of talent. merriweather is the best player on the team, one of the best players in the country. baraka atkins is a stud, ryan moore is/was their best receiver. darnell jenkins is their second best receiver, tyrone moss is their best back... pata and karim brown are major contributers on the d-line...

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 08:24 PM
Coker wont get fired. He's won a MNC, Played for the MNC two times, 2 BCS Bowl victories, recruited well, Bear Bryant coach of the year in 2001, went 22-0 to start his career, has 3 conference titles, is 5-3 vs FSU, has a 53-11 record and 42 players drafted while at Miami.

that's the problem. i believe they're dumb enough to do it. something that was mentioned today on espn was that after coker started 22-1 and dorsey and mcgahee graduated, he's gone on a 22-9 stretch. that's really not that spectacular for a team like miami. does that warrant a firing? in my mind, no, but the athletic department wants to get back to winning very quickly. 9-3 seasons aren't good enough for them.

1991SOONER
9/5/2006, 08:26 PM
My fantasy: beat texas this year, beat usc in a BCS bowl this year, then beat miami next year. Then I could die because I would then be happy!! :)

Salt City Sooner
9/5/2006, 08:29 PM
"Coker wont get fired. He's won a MNC, Played for the MNC two times, 2 BCS Bowl victories, recruited well, Bear Bryant coach of the year in 2001, went 22-0 to start his career, has 3 conference titles, is 5-3 vs FSU, has a 53-11 record and 42 players drafted while at Miami.

They're also 12-7 in their last 19. That ain't gonna fly in Coral Gables, & LC would do well to get that trend reversed in short order, IMO. It ain't what you've done, it's what have you done LATELY.

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 08:30 PM
My fantasy: beat texas this year, beat usc in a BCS bowl this year, then beat miami next year. Then I could die because I would then be happy!! :)
the usc beatdown has to come by 37 points or more

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 08:30 PM
They're also 12-7 in their last 19. That ain't gonna fly in Coral Gables, & LC would do well to get that trend reversed in short order, IMO. It ain't what you've done, it's what have you done LATELY.
wow, i hadn't seen that number before. that's horrible. thanks for pulling that one up

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 08:46 PM
Coker's not a bad coach, but he seems to be the latest victim of the George Seifert Syndrome: Win immediately with someone else's best players, but struggle afterward with your own players.

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 08:48 PM
Coker's not a bad coach, but he seems to be the latest victim of the George Seifert Syndrome: Win immediately with someone else's best players, but struggle afterward with your own players.
i'd take coker as a coach any day.(not before stoops though, of course)

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 08:50 PM
i'd take coker as a coach any day.(not before stoops though, of course)
It's easy to do it at a place like Miami. Could Coker cut it, though, at a Duke or a Kentucky?

sooneron
9/5/2006, 08:53 PM
I don't see Coker being there after this season.

sooner94
9/5/2006, 08:55 PM
Coker's best years were right after he took over, and had Butch Davis' players.

I don't know if you can completely blame Coker. College football kind of goes in cycles. The Canes won 34 straight, then lost the NC game to tOSU and have fallen off a little.

Despite their dominating win last week against Ark, I expect USC to fall off a little and follow in the Canes footsteps. They are definitely following the Canes in thuggery.

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 08:59 PM

I don't know if you can completely blame Coker. College football kind of goes in cycles. The Canes won 34 straight, then lost the NC game to tOSU and have fallen off a little.

Despite their dominating win last week against Ark, I expect USC to fall off a little and follow in the Canes footsteps. They are definitely following the Canes in thuggery.
try telling espn that

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 09:04 PM

I don't think the 'Canes have fully recovered from the Fiesta Bowl loss to tOSU.

badger
9/5/2006, 09:07 PM
so you would be happy with a six win regular season (because that's all you need to get into a bowl) if the seventh win is over usc in the bowl game?;)

MITSooner
9/5/2006, 09:07 PM
man... where have I heard that before...

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 09:09 PM
so you would be happy with a six win regular season (because that's all you need to get into a bowl) if the seventh win is over usc in the bowl game?;)
he said bcs

badger
9/5/2006, 09:12 PM
he said bcs
i could see a competitive big 12 result in the big 12 champ have a crappy record... couldn't you? i mean, colorado had a slight chance of going to a bcs game last year, remember? they were only one win away, lol

1991SOONER
9/5/2006, 09:14 PM

Well, in order to play USC in a BCS I'd say we'd have to have at least 10 wins. But yes, our national titles will come later. But this is an opportunity of a lifetime!!!

1991SOONER
9/5/2006, 09:16 PM
the usc beatdown has to come by 37 points or more

word

badger
9/5/2006, 09:16 PM
i would laugh if coker got fired, though. wouldn't you? I mean, what other coach has led a team to a nat'l title in one year (even if he used some other coach's players to do it)

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 09:17 PM
i could see a competitive big 12 result in the big 12 champ have a crappy record... couldn't you? i mean, colorado had a slight chance of going to a bcs game last year, remember? they were only one win away, lol
good point. hell, they could go to the bcs this year

goingoneight
9/5/2006, 10:08 PM
Okay-Okay-Okay... Choker gets fired, comes to OU to utilize his Florida recruiting reputation... :D

I'm not complaining about anything we've gotten out of Florida lately! :D

TheGodfather889
9/5/2006, 10:15 PM
I think Larry Coker is a bad coach. He won the title in 2001 with Butch's players with alot of veteran guys and very talented guys. They've been declining every year since he took the job. I think Miami is going in kind of a downward spiral. Their offense is a mess even though their defense is good I think that's because of Randy Shannon's coaching. Larry's not nearly as good of a recruiter or coach as Butch Davis.

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 10:17 PM
For those interested, here's a similar thread regarding the "genius" that is Larry Coker:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/index.php/topic,31464.0.html

sooner94
9/5/2006, 11:00 PM
Wasn't Coker OUr offensive coordinator in the "Up the Middle! Up the Middle! Up the Middle! Punt!!!" Days, aka early 90's?