PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could switch to USAA

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 06:26 PM
I got into a minor accident back in January (~500 to my car, 750-1000 to the other car). Pretty much what happened was we both tried to get in the same lane at the same time. We were both civil, trade info, and that was that.

Told my story to Farmers and they said it was mutual fault, but USAA claimed it was mine. I even had the USAA agent threaten me by saying that I admitted fault to the accident, I was lying, and he had it on tape.(if so, why are you calling me). Never heard another thing about it, until two weeks ago and Farmers said the accident was going to intercompany arbitration. So, I'm like whatever, its small potatoes, so why bother. Get a letter today saying that it was settled to 80-20 my fault. I'm shocked. Why in **** would you take it to arbitration for such small dollars and why can't my insurance company win in this when it's a he said, she said?

Now I'm ****ed because my company can't collect my $500 deductible from a prior accident (someone rear-ended me), but USAA can put the other driver at most of the fault with no third party witnesses or a police report.

mrowl
9/5/2006, 06:27 PM
I love me some USAA.

yermom
9/5/2006, 06:31 PM
i've thought about trying to get in with those guys

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 06:36 PM
why do companies arbitrate? because of principle - if you extrapolate the money they got back from your claim over all the other subrogation chances they have, its BIG $$$

if you want to be a member of USAA, you'll need to be a member of the military first, or married to somebody who is, or a dependent of somebody who is

edit - on matters of subrogation - here's sorta how it works.....

in your accident, both carriers will deny the third party claim....however one may decide to offer 50% for comparative negligence.....but never 51% because then they cant collect anything

but if both companies deny liability.....USAA (which is VERY aggressive in subrogation) will send a subrogation demand to Farmers.....Farmers will initially deny it, and then USAA will threaten suit - however if both carriers are members of arbitration (my company isnt), then they'll go to an arbitration hearing.....how is it weighted? if you've got a less than stellar driving record, and the other one has a good record....the other guy's story is more likely to be believed..points of impact on the vehicles is always "evidence"

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 06:36 PM
Don't you have to have someone in your family be in the military or something?

mrowl
9/5/2006, 06:38 PM
I married a former dependent of somebody in the military. now we are in. it rocks. Cost are so much lower, and the customer service is awesome.

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 06:38 PM
why do companies arbitrate? because of principle - if you extrapolate the money they got back from your claim over all the other subrogation chances they have, its BIG $$$

if you want to be a member of USAA, you'll need to be a member of the military first, or married to somebody who is, or a dependent of somebody who is

It just seems like in this case, they would lose more money in personal hours, then they would get back from Farmers. That's why I'm confused.

yermom
9/5/2006, 06:43 PM
Don't you have to have someone in your family be in the military or something?

i'm the former dependent of a former dependent of a former military person

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 06:44 PM
you're looking at it the wrong way - i dont know how many folks they have on staff that handle those claims, but lets say its a staff with a combined annual salary of $200K.......thats EASY to get back and then some via subrogation and arbitration - especially with a big carrier like USAA

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 07:00 PM
you're looking at it the wrong way - i dont know how many folks they have on staff that handle those claims, but lets say its a staff with a combined annual salary of $200K.......thats EASY to get back and then some via subrogation and arbitration - especially with a big carrier like USAA

I see your point, but I would figure it would take a year or so before they got around to it, given the $ amount involved. I still want to know how they could find me at 80% fault from 50%. You would think that they would leave it at 50% or change it to 100%, given the evidence of a he said, she said.

Vaevictis
9/5/2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, USAA > *, pretty much, on the auto insurance side.

My wife is bored one day, sees one of those Geico ads, calls up, and the guy asks who our current carrier is. She tells him, and he says, "Uh, yeah, we never beat them. They're my carrier too."

(their homeowners / renters people are, IMO, a bunch of **********s, however)

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 07:06 PM
I see your point, but I would figure it would take a year or so before they got around to it, given the $ amount involved. I still want to know how they could find me at 80% fault from 50%. You would think that they would leave it at 50% or change it to 100%, given the evidence of a he said, she said.

just a guess, but more than likely, Farmers handled the initial subro demand very poorly

also, their members of arbitration for a reason - because its cheaper than a lawsuit, much cheaper

but normally, if we get a subro demand on an accident like that.....i'll call and offer 50% right up front, pointing out there are no witnesses and no police report (or finding of fault)....some companies will take it no questions asked, others......like Allstate will go right to filing a lawsuit

its in the best interest of the carrier to get back anything they are able, no matter how small the amount

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 07:11 PM
JK, other than USAA, what insurance company do you recommend for people in the DFW area? I'm pretty tired of Farmer's, and really don't care about a local agent as long as the claim is handled in a timely manner.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 07:14 PM
for lower premiums? i think geico is pretty good......allstate seems to be...nationwide, progressive

from my perspective they're all the same really - from a claims perspective, they've all got to follow the texas auto policy, some are better at it than others.....from a consumer side, if farmers had treated you right, then we wouldnt be having this discussion and frankly it could have gone the same way with any of them

i'd get the best rate and be more careful! :)

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks. I normally only think about switching when I get the bill.

AlbqSooner
9/5/2006, 08:00 PM
You would think that they would leave it at 50% or change it to 100%, given the evidence of a he said, she said.
jk may slam me on this, but my experience as a lawyer negotiating with an insurance adjuster whether first party or subro is that you have to leave them something. If the carrier has a policy with a 100K limit and you have a case with a potential 125-175K value, you can probably settle that case for 75-90K but if you want the whole policy limit, they get really testy.

Hence, from 50% to 80% leaves something for the adjuster to go back to his company and say he saved. If they went to 100% he has to tell the claims manager that he lost.

colleyvillesooner
9/5/2006, 08:04 PM
USAA pwns.

Skysooner
9/5/2006, 08:06 PM
My father's house burned down while he had USAA homeowner's insurance. The adjuster was at the house before the fire department had even left. They had $5,000 in walking around money about 30 minutes later. The claim was handled in a very professional manner.

OUAndy1807
9/5/2006, 08:14 PM
I like how you get a check back from them at the end of the year, and also they'll negotiate your price on a new car and they do an awesome job.

soonerbrat
9/5/2006, 08:40 PM
i ****ing hate USAA

I have farmers...almost a year ago, one of USAA's insureds hit me, totalling my car..she pulled out of a gas station and broadsided me. She and her parents admitted guilt at the scene, and she was cited for failure to yield. I went to the ER, but i waited for about 5 hours and never got seen, so I left. They offered $4200 for my 2000 protege, showing me cars that were sold at auctions as comparisons..we had dealerships and the blue book value showing a much higher value of my car, but they wouldn't budge, so I made the claim with farmers and let them subrogate it instead..farmers gave me $5800 for my car..that's a big jump.

now, i have over $4000 in medical bills, my shoulder still hurts and my doctor says I should get an MRI on it...the adjuster accused my attorney of trying to "pad" the medical bills so i could pilfer more money from them...so she wrote a letter to him, and threatened to complain to the insurance commissioner. they changed adjusters and the new one offered about $1000 more than the first one, but it's still not satisfactory...i have another year before the statute runs, so i'm just going to wait it out, and file suit against the girl if i have to. then she won't be so happy that her insurance carrier is so cheap.

olevetonahill
9/5/2006, 08:47 PM
i ****ing hate USAA

I have farmers...almost a year ago, one of USAA's insureds hit me, totalling my car..she pulled out of a gas station and broadsided me. She and her parents admitted guilt at the scene, and she was cited for failure to yield. I went to the ER, but i waited for about 5 hours and never got seen, so I left. They offered $4200 for my 2000 protege, showing me cars that were sold at auctions as comparisons..we had dealerships and the blue book value showing a much higher value of my car, but they wouldn't budge, so I made the claim with farmers and let them subrogate it instead..farmers gave me $5800 for my car..that's a big jump.

now, i have over $4000 in medical bills, my shoulder still hurts and my doctor says I should get an MRI on it...the adjuster accused my attorney of trying to "pad" the medical bills so i could pilfer more money from them...so she wrote a letter to him, and threatened to complain to the insurance commissioner. they changed adjusters and the new one offered about $1000 more than the first one, but it's still not satisfactory...i have another year before the statute runs, so i'm just going to wait it out, and file suit against the girl if i have to. then she won't be so happy that her insurance carrier is so cheap.
Peem Phil or Oldanslo !
ur welcome
as per instructions, I received here, Ive fired the fat *** that just sat on my case for 4 yrs

soonerbrat
9/5/2006, 08:48 PM
it's not my attorney...it's the damned adjuster at USAA

mrowl
9/5/2006, 08:51 PM
i ****ing hate USAA

sorry, but if you were a usaa customer, they would be busting their *** to get your money.

olevetonahill
9/5/2006, 08:52 PM
it's not my attorney...it's the damned adjuster at USAA
Then YES it is the Attorney !:eek: JMHO ;)

soonerbrat
9/5/2006, 08:54 PM
farmer's has done everything they could do for me..they got me $1600 more for my car..and i had med pay too, which they paid...USAA is disputing the mecdical charges saying they were unnecessary because all i had was a soft tissue injury. but i think it's pretty bad when my head hurts so bad I can't even smile or talk.

Okla-homey
9/5/2006, 08:58 PM
USAA member since 1982. I wouldn't dream of using another insurance company. Claims are handled expeditiously and professionally, they are open 24-7 for policy service too. Its board is mostly retired GI's, the prime directive is taking care of the policyholder and they kick some serious tail when it comes to taking on other insurers.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 09:03 PM
jk may slam me on this, but my experience as a lawyer negotiating with an insurance adjuster whether first party or subro is that you have to leave them something. If the carrier has a policy with a 100K limit and you have a case with a potential 125-175K value, you can probably settle that case for 75-90K but if you want the whole policy limit, they get really testy.

Hence, from 50% to 80% leaves something for the adjuster to go back to his company and say he saved. If they went to 100% he has to tell the claims manager that he lost.

no slams, you speak the truth!

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 10:22 PM
So the moral of the story is if your covered by USAA, they got your back. If you're on the other side, get a lawyer or some good witnesses.

After AlbqSooner post, I should have just called them and said I was going to represent myself. Seems like I couldn't have done any worse then Farmers did.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 10:24 PM
you dont "get" good witnesses, they either exist or they dont

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 10:28 PM
with the right kind of money you can ;)

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 10:30 PM
adjusters see right thru that.....a fraud report to TDI isnt worth it!

if you're at fault, just realize that you have insurance for a reason! its there to protect you

jeremy885
9/5/2006, 10:32 PM
JK, you take your work to seriously.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 10:34 PM
you're right, i should be more nonchalant and flippant about it...because thats what claimants and insured's want ;)

Frozen Sooner
9/5/2006, 10:41 PM
Ah, crap. I had a long post written, but mainly the point was...

YMSSRA...jk.

Nicely done. All hail jk.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 10:45 PM
i feel faint....

SoonerInFla
9/6/2006, 02:21 AM
USAA has started to allow members that aren't somehow military or dependents.
You have to have good credit and such.

They've allways taken good care of my insurance needs. After hurricane Ivan they were to my house within a couple days and did a thorough job even finding stuff I never would have thought of.

I also bank there. My employer is in Louisianna.After Hurricane Katrina they flagged my account as one that may be affected by the hurricane. When my payroll direct deposit didn't show up because our office wasn't functioning, USAA put the funds in my account until our office got it together.

soonerbrat
9/6/2006, 07:34 AM
USAA member since 1982. I wouldn't dream of using another insurance company. Claims are handled expeditiously and professionally, they are open 24-7 for policy service too. Its board is mostly retired GI's, the prime directive is taking care of the policyholder and they kick some serious tail when it comes to taking on other insurers.

expeditiously & professionally? it's been a year & the adjuster basically called me a liar when I said my shoulder still hurts...that is neither expeditious nor professional. I'm sure the insured that hit me loves USAA, but they'll be hating them when I have to sue their daughter.

Vaevictis
9/6/2006, 08:57 AM
I'm sure the insured that hit me loves USAA, but they'll be hating them when I have to sue their daughter.

It'll hurt the insured less than you think. They'll cover the attorney fees -- or the equivalent of one of their own attorneys, if the insured uses their own attorney.

What that basically means is that the daughter ends up spending as much as one day in depositions, and as much as one day on trial, and maybe a day in prep. And assuming they have high enough coverage, that's as much as it's going to cost them -- collectively 3-5 days of their time.

Now, how much is it gonna cost you?

(not trying to be nasty, that's just my experience with being sued for an incident covered by USAA, and that's when they didn't want to work with us -- I imagine it's easier when they do!)

SoonerStormchaser
9/6/2006, 09:05 AM
I'm in USAA...saved my @$$ a year ago when I totalled a rental Sienna by hitting a moose in Jackson Hole. They even said it wasn't my fault...not like I was actively trying to hunt it or something! :rollseyes:

soonerbrat
9/6/2006, 09:06 AM
No, I know they'll cover all the attorney fees and stuff, but the girl is very naive..i'm sure she'll freak out when a process server shows up at her door and hands her a summons...i'm not trying to be nasty, either, I feel really bad about it because the girl was really sweet and her mother assured me that they had excellent insurance and everything would be taken care of. i just want them to settle the damn thing..they've put it on a back burner for almost a year (sept 16), my shoulder STILL hurts and they're basically calling me a liar and accusing me of running up medical bills, when in fact, i stopped treating because i didn't want to run up any more medical bills....as far as what it will cost me...the filing fees have gone up...i think it costs $109 to file a petition and summons now..it used to be $79.

jk the sooner fan
9/6/2006, 09:33 AM
the texas auto policy requires carriers to provide defense counsel for an insured upon a suit being served

if she's got half a brain, she'll hand your summons over to USAA, and their legal staff (or the firm they use for those types of cases) will get to work

jeremy885
9/6/2006, 09:34 AM
doesn't brat live in OK?

jk the sooner fan
9/6/2006, 09:46 AM
true, good point - i would imagine that part of the policy isnt any different in Oklahoma - but i dont know that for fact

soonerbrat
9/6/2006, 09:48 AM
yes, her insurance company will provide an attorney for her and defend her..but it's still no fun being sued

Mjcpr
9/6/2006, 09:50 AM
yes, her insurance company will provide an attorney for her and defend her..but it's still no fun being sued

In Oklahoma, I think they carrier is required to send their client to Frontier City during any lawsuits so, technically, it is fun being sued.

jk the sooner fan
9/6/2006, 10:02 AM

well......in theory i suppose, but the insurance company is making the decision they feel is best to protect their insured.......right or wrong....they either think 1) you're bluffing for more $ 2) they can win based on their current offer

OhU1
9/6/2006, 10:11 AM
USAA rules with the iron hand of the USSR if you try to bust them on a 3rd party claim apparently. Good to know as a policy holder.

I've been with them since 1982. They virtually offer cradle to grave services. Hell I have a IRA, mutual funds, USAA credit card, and had them finance and negotiate my auto purchase. They are also rated as one of the top companies in the U.S to work for.

soonerbrat
9/6/2006, 10:15 AM
well......in theory i suppose, but the insurance company is making the decision they feel is best to protect their insured.......right or wrong....they either think 1) you're bluffing for more $ 2) they can win based on their current offer

their current offer is $895 over the medical bills.

jk the sooner fan
9/6/2006, 10:18 AM
i would also assume that USAA takes into account, the trends of juries in these types of trials.......for instance, dallas area juries are generally insurance friendly and not likely to give a bunch of "pain and suffering"

where as san antonio is the exact opposite......we generally know the playing field and operate within what they think is "doable" for them

Frozen Sooner
9/6/2006, 10:30 AM
true, good point - i would imagine that part of the policy isnt any different in Oklahoma - but i dont know that for fact

I can't speak to USAA policies specifically, but I don't think there's an auto liability policy out there-commercial or personal-that doesn't pay defense outside of policy limits and require defense of all suits arising from automobile operations.

soonerbrat
9/6/2006, 11:46 AM
In Oklahoma, I think they carrier is required to send their client to Frontier City during any lawsuits so, technically, it is fun being sued.

you think frontier city is fun?
have you been there lately?

LoyalFan
9/6/2006, 05:47 PM
Upon reflection, four years in an aggressive ROTC program, seperation from wife and child, combat, were all worth it...I'm with USAA!
Great company! Would never leave it.

LF

Okla-homey
9/6/2006, 06:46 PM
expeditiously & professionally? it's been a year & the adjuster basically called me a liar when I said my shoulder still hurts...that is neither expeditious nor professional. I'm sure the insured that hit me loves USAA, but they'll be hating them when I have to sue their daughter.

If you attempt to litigate, they'll crush you before lunch. That's the way USAA rolls. I'd take the offer and move on if I were you.