PDA

View Full Version : Your offensive line problems could be a lot worse

Statalyzer
9/5/2006, 12:59 AM
You could be stuck with Miami or Florida State's offensive line.

That was atrocious. I know those were good defenses, but still. Three combined rushing yards? That is not just good defense, that is inept offense. Coker and Bowden must have been in a contest over who can waste the most offensive talent. They make 2001-2003 Greg Davis look like Mike Leach.

Octavian
9/5/2006, 01:06 AM
To be fair, Mickey Andrews absolutely confused the hell out of Kyle Wright all night long and the Florida St. defense is extremely athletic....very impressive.

12 yards is inexcusable no matter how you slice it though.

And our OL will only get better barring injuries

Readyfor8
9/5/2006, 01:35 AM
Playing the first game of teh season against a hated rival who also happens to be ranked in the top 11...

What did you expect? What if we played Texas the first game this year?

Spray
9/5/2006, 06:45 AM
They have ruined that series by playing it the first game of the year. No way do the offenses get so completely dominated the past two years if they play that game in October.

tbl
9/5/2006, 07:22 AM
Playing the first game of teh season against a hated rival who also happens to be ranked in the top 11...

OU - 77
TX - 3

Chuck Bao
9/5/2006, 07:24 AM
I didn't watch this game and I may be totally wet here, but it seems that more and more defensive coordinators are loading the box and stopping the run first, daring the opposing offense to beat them with the pass.

At least in this game and with these two quarterbacks and these two defenses, it would have been the best defensive strategy. So, I don't think it was all their poor OL at fault.

The best counter is a passing quarterback that can consistently move the chains and force a change in the defensive strategy.

Does anyone else think that improving skills in a run-stop defense could be changing the nature of the game?

Statalyzer
9/5/2006, 08:08 AM

I'd expect you to rush for more than 1 yard on us.

TheGodfather889
9/5/2006, 10:55 AM
I would have to say that Miami and Florida State have seen better years. It appears Miami is on the decline with their team looking like they just laid down and died. Their coaching and offense is in a real mess. And personally I'm happy about that because we play them next year.:D

NormanPride
9/5/2006, 11:17 AM
I loved the commentators desperately trying to talk up these pathetic offenses. Did you see Miami's Oline? Fat and lazy. FSUs wasn't that great either, but at least they kept Miami's sad pass rush away. Where were Miami's all-universe safeties the whole game? In the box stuffing that potent rush offense of FSU's? :rolleyes:

Their game plans were pathetic, and their halftime adjustments were almost equally pathetic. Well, that's assuming Miami MADE any halftime adjustments.

Chuck Bao
9/5/2006, 12:19 PM
Good points, all. I hate both of these teams.

I'm still having trouble understanding some of the blame game going against the offensive line for the lack of a running game.

The days of OU, Nebraska or Penn State dominating the line of scrimage and grounding it out on the ground against a quality opponent doesn't seem to be the case anymore without a potent passing attack.

Fat and lazy?

Okay, I'm biased towards the big OL players.