PDA

View Full Version : Anybody excited about OU/UW?

KaiserSooner
9/4/2006, 11:18 PM
Well?

Ever since the waning days of Don James' career at Washington...I was too young to remember much of him before then (and too young to remember the Orange Bowl game at the end of the '84 season)...I've been a fan of UW. I'd even say they're probably my second favorite college team. So next Saturday will be very awesome for me.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 11:39 PM
It's a Sooner football game, right? Is anyone NOT excited about it? ;)

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 11:40 PM
I'm waiting to see how much improvement we can make, since I honestly believe UW=UAB.

william_brasky
9/5/2006, 02:14 AM
I'm still pi55ed about that Orange Bowl loss.

Payback's a beeyatch. Moreso 20+ years down the line.

Damn I'm gettin' old.

yermom
9/5/2006, 02:32 AM
i wonder if BYU sent them a fruitcake or anything

sooneron
9/5/2006, 07:26 AM
I'm looking forward to it as I will be there. I can't wait to get some payback from the 85 OB.

I may bring a few huskies by the 'gate if there's time. One of the wife's co-workers went to UW and he and some buds are making the trip to Norman.
Not only am I glas I'll be there, I think the biggest indication of improvement can be seen from the first game to the second- as in heading down the right road. I think we'll definitely see improvement.

tbl
9/5/2006, 07:30 AM
I'm already getting anxious....

sooneron
9/5/2006, 07:32 AM
I'm bringing a friend down with me that has never been to a big time college football game (yankee) as well and my Mom set up a tour of the athl facilities with Merv on Friday. THAT I am really pyched for!

lubbocksooner
9/5/2006, 08:31 AM
Yes I am excited. I am going to be there. Plus before I came to my senses and moved back to the south I spent 3 years in grad school at WSU so I developed a dislike for the Huskies...hopefully its a beatdown.

daddywarbucks
9/5/2006, 08:37 AM
Well?

Ever since the waning days of Don James' career at Washington...I was too young to remember much of him before then (and too young to remember the Orange Bowl game at the end of the '84 season)

I wasnt old enough to see ND break our winning streak either, however I could swollow a live rat before I could EVER root for ND or UW..

Boomer Sooner.....get some payback baby

sooneron
9/5/2006, 08:48 AM
I want payback, but I don't hate UW.

daddywarbucks
9/5/2006, 08:50 AM
I want payback, but I don't hate UW.

how about ND???? you gotta hate ND...cmon

CincySooner
9/5/2006, 08:52 AM
It's a Sooner football game, right? Is anyone NOT excited about it? ;)

exactly... hit the nail on the head

sooneron
9/5/2006, 08:55 AM
how about ND???? you gotta hate ND...cmon
Who!? I don't know what you're talking about. I know nothing of this nd that you speak of.

daddywarbucks
9/5/2006, 08:59 AM
Who!? I don't know what you're talking about. I know nothing of this nd that you speak of.

wow classic case of denial.....Your gonna be ok but at some point we will have to deal with this..OK?

yermom
9/5/2006, 10:06 AM
I'm bringing a friend down with me that has never been to a big time college football game (yankee) as well and my Mom set up a tour of the athl facilities with Merv on Friday. THAT I am really pyched for!

that tour is great, Merv has been here for a LOT of football

RacerX
9/5/2006, 11:50 AM
Merv is a funny guy.

A sis-in-law and her hubby are UW grads.

WE MUST DESTROY THEM!

OUmillenium
9/5/2006, 12:01 PM
Ya think are receivers/TEs are getting a crash course in hanging on the the football this week? I hope PT tears up the UW...Huck the Fuskies!

Eddie Money
9/5/2006, 12:16 PM
I am really curious to see how they will tweak the offense and if we'll see some ENA bootlegs. This is by no means a cupcake game, but it is our last chance to get everything tightened down before it gets tough. But yeah, it is an OU game and of course there is the revenge factor, plus another chance to pimpslap the Pac 10, so, yes, put me in the "excited" column.

sooneron
9/5/2006, 12:22 PM
wow classic case of denial.....Your gonna be ok but at some point we will have to deal with this..OK?
Just so you know sarcasm and a good sarcasm detector are pre-requisites for this board.

Kingwoodboomer
9/5/2006, 12:57 PM
My wife's family is from Washington, so it will definetely make it a lot more interesting for me. I just want to know how much to "wager" with the family. :)

KaiserSooner
9/5/2006, 05:00 PM
I'm waiting to see how much improvement we can make, since I honestly believe UW=UAB.

Yeah, I don't think they're much better than UAB either, if at all. Nonetheless, I can't wait to see those gold helmets/purple Ws on Owen Field this weekend.

william_brasky
9/5/2006, 05:17 PM
Don't kid yourselves folks, UW is gonna come to Norman looking for the win.

If we don't show up a better team than last game, it's gonna be a toughie.

TrophyCollector
9/5/2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, Nonetheless, I can't wait to see those gold helmets/purple Ws on Owen Field this weekend.

It's pretty cool to see the red ones with OU on them too.

sendbaht
9/5/2006, 07:25 PM
I am MORE then looking forward to the game. It's been years since I have been to Norman. My wife and I fly in to OKC friday night, go to the game Saturday, visit the folks then fly to Oregon to watch OU there.. What a vacation for us...so can't wait!!!!

birddog
9/5/2006, 07:27 PM
i knew uab would be tough. uw will be much easier. 38-17.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/5/2006, 07:32 PM
i knew uab would be tough. uw will be much easier. 38-17.

Geez, I hope you are right.

However, I look for our D to be much improved after being reamed out by BV in the film room. Look for AD to get 150+ yards rushing and maybe 50 or so yards recieving. ENA is sufficient throwing no picks and managing the game very well.

SeattleRUF/NEK
9/5/2006, 07:55 PM
The year was 1985. My parents had been OU grads living in Seattle for around 10 years and were watching the Orange Bowl vs UW. A freak accident with the Schooner, probably because of some dumb RUF/NEK junior member, occured resulting in a 15 yard penalty pushing back our fieldgoal attempt. The fieldgoal was missed and the momentum of the game swayed. After Washington's victory, my parents' next door neighbors, both UW grads, proceeded to burst into the house and pelt my parents with oranges. My mom was pregnant with me at the time....

Now over 20 years later I'm at OU and a RUF/NEK and am ready for some serious revenge. Not only this year, but next year up in Seattle too.

2006: 42-17.
2007: 35-10.

starclassic tama
9/5/2006, 08:36 PM
while uab may be a better overall football team than uw, uw undoubtedly has more athleticism. this means if we aren't tackling well, a la uab, we could be in for a long night. uw's QB isaiah stanback is freakishly fast.

goingoneight
9/5/2006, 10:14 PM
Anyone happen to think maybe... just maybe... Bob Stoops remembers his last run-in with Ty??? BIG home victory and more pre-season Sooner questions answered positively.

In Jesus' name... amen. :D

KaiserSooner
9/6/2006, 12:34 AM
It's pretty cool to see the red ones with OU on them too.

That's a given.

KaiserSooner
9/6/2006, 12:38 AM
Anyone happen to think maybe... just maybe... Bob Stoops remembers his last run-in with Ty??? BIG home victory and more pre-season Sooner questions answered positively.

In Jesus' name... amen. :D

I'm not sure Willingham and Stoops teams have ever faced each other. I'm pretty sure Bob Davie was the HC at ND back in 1999, if that's what your thinking of.

GottaHavePride
9/6/2006, 12:46 AM
I'm not sure Willingham and Stoops teams have ever faced each other. I'm pretty sure Bob Davie was the HC at ND back in 1999, if that's what your thinking of.
Yeah, that was even before the George O'Leary incident. Willingham was still at Stanford back then, I think.

Paperclip
9/6/2006, 01:05 AM
Davie was definitely the coach in '99.

olevetonahill
9/6/2006, 01:24 AM
Why in hell would any one get excited about OU football :confused:

Desert Sapper
9/6/2006, 01:41 AM
Geez, I hope you are right.

However, I look for our D to be much improved after being reamed out by BV in the film room. Look for AD to get 150+ yards rushing and maybe 50 or so yards recieving. ENA is sufficient throwing no picks and managing the game very well.

You're forgetting the best part of OUr team --- the special part. If UW doesn't have a stellar kicker/punter to waylay people as the last remaining guy, they WILL get torched for at least one ST TD.

GDC
9/6/2006, 07:34 AM
The Schooner Game
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/6/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

The horses, buggy got in the way of the 1985 OU-Washington game
NORMAN -- Tim Lashar had to get out of the way of a determined referee. Tony Casillas couldn't believe something else was going against his team. Barry Switzer said at the time it was a "dumb-assed" call.

Don James thought it was kind of exciting. Hugh Millen didn't seem to care one way or the other.

It's been 21 years, but some memories never fade.

When 15th-ranked Oklahoma hosts Washington on Saturday at Memorial Stadium, it'll mark the first meeting between the Sooners and Huskies since the Orange Bowl capped off the 1984 college football season and crowned a national champion some 2,500 miles away.

It was a game that cost the Sooners what might have been a run at three consecutive national championships. It was a game that Washington fans count among their greatest ever. It was a game that BYU would rather have never been played.

But it will always be remembered as the "Sooner Schooner" game -- the game that OU's sideline mascot drew a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and pushed the Sooners to the edge of Lashar's field goal range.

Whether or not Lashar's miss -- following 20 yards of penalties after he had made

a 22- yard chip shot -- ultimately cost the Sooners is debatable. Washington prevailed 28-17, so how much difference did three points make?

"It was one of the craziest things ever. I've never seen a flag thrown on our ponies, before or since," Switzer said recently. "But that wasn't the difference. It would've been closer. But they were better team that night."

"It was more of a distraction," said Millen, who came off the bench to spark two fourth-quarter touchdowns. "It was just kind of weird."

Here's how it happened:

Unbeaten BYU, which beat a shaky Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl two weeks earlier, was ranked No. 1. OU (9-1-1) was second, Florida third and Washington fourth. NBC asked both coaches to promote the matchup in the Orange Bowl as the national championship. Switzer obliged, but James, having to play BYU the next two years, declined.

After a scoreless third quarter, OU and Washington were tied at 14-14. The Sooners started the fateful drive late in the third quarter after Casillas recovered a fumble by starting quarterback Richard Sicuro. It was Sicuro's third turnover of the night, and the Sooners were gaining momentum.

When the drive stalled at the Washington 4-yard line, Lashar booted a 22-yard field goal. But tackle Mark Hutson, wearing a tight end number for special offensive packages, failed to report his jersey number to the officiating crew before lining up inside for field goal protection. That's a 5-yard penalty for illegal procedure, which took the points off the scoreboard.

But no one on the OU sideline saw the flag. Lashar and the kickoff unit were in front of the bench preparing to kick off. The Sooner Schooner -- the miniature covered wagon pulled by Shetland ponies Boomer and Sooner and driven by the Ruf/Neks spirit squad -- raced onto the field, per standard mascot procedure, for its post-score celebration.

The Schooner, however, got bogged down in some thick, wet grass, and almost came to a halt in front of the Washington bench. UW players got shouting-mad over what looked like a taunt, and the officiating crew responded with a 15-yard penalty flag.

Lashar had returned to the field and was placing his tee down for a 27-yard field goal, but the referee almost pushed him out of the way while marking off the additional penalty yardage.

"I'm like, where's this guy going?" said Lashar. "I just remember thinking, 'This is crazy.' I mean, all of a sudden it was a 20-yard penalty. I had never been a part of one of those before. And I'd certainly never been a part of something where the team's mascot had been called for unsportsmanlike conduct. So it was kind of surreal."

Lashar's second kick, from 42 yards, was blocked with an outside rush by safety Tim Peoples. Peoples was burned by Derrick Shepherd on a 69-yard slant pass for a touchdown on the last play of the first half, so blocking the kick was redemption.

Casillas, an All-American noseguard, was the lynchpin of the Sooners' No. 1-ranked rushing defense (68 yards per game), but against Washington became the target of a new game plan that netted the Huskies 192 yards on the ground.

Offensive line coach Dan Dorazio devised a series of checks to neutralize Casillas. If Casillas lined up over center Dan Eernissee, then Casillas was double-teamed and the Huskies handed off to Rick Fenney on fullback blast (Fenney gained 66 yards on nine carries). If Casillas lined up over a guard, he would be allowed through and trap-blocked out of the play by a tackle.

"I really believe that part of the running game is what won it for us, that game plan," said James, the Huskies' all-time winningest coach. "I couldn't tell you five other game plans in my whole coaching career, but it was that important to winning that game."

Casillas was frustrated by the scheme, but today he talks of it with admiration.

"The complexion of our defense was making the big play," Casillas said. "But they played against our strength. Great job of devising that game plan."

And when the Schooner was flagged, Casillas' frustration swelled.

"That's the old cliche," he said, "when things don't go your way, it's just one of those days."

Contrary to popular opinion, the sudden change wasn't exactly a momentum swing for the Huskies. Millen -- who began the year as the starter but was benched for a bad game late in the year -- came off the bench and promptly directed a three-and-out. And the Sooners were anything but sapped: Danny Bradley and Steve Sewell led a 32-yard drive that resulted in another Lashar field goal and put OU up 17-14 with 8:45.

Millen's second drive seemed headed for nowhere when Fenney recovered a fumble by Jacque Robinson (the game's MVP with 135 yards). But Millen hit Danny Greene for 29 yards on third-and-9, and the 74-yard drive resulted in a touchdown to Mark Pattison (Millen's high school teammate) and a 21-17 Husky lead.

Buster Rhymes fumbled the ensuing kickoff out of bounds ("terrible play," Switzer said), and Bradley's first-down pass was intercepted by linebacker Joe Kelly. Fenney scored to make it 28-17.

Despite the frantic finish, the Huskies' rushing strategy and the national championship implications, the game will always be known as "The Sooner Schooner Game."

"Hell," Switzer said, "the ponies don't know whether it was a score or not. They didn't know there was a penalty."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].

MamaMia
9/6/2006, 09:31 AM
I'm having surgery on the 11th, so I plan to have fun this weekend.

Don't worry, its nothing life threatening. Just a two day stay for a total sinus reconstruction. Crying would impede my healing process, so the Sooners have to win. :D

MiccoMacey
9/6/2006, 10:29 AM
I'm having surgery on the 11th, so I plan to have fun this weekend.

Don't worry, its nothing life threatening. Just a two day stay for a total sinus reconstruction. Crying would impede my healing process, so the Sooners have to win. :D

Best of luck. I hope it goes well for you.

jdsooner
9/6/2006, 12:42 PM
Let's get some payback for '85!!