PDA

View Full Version : Clock Rule Changes...

Blue
9/4/2006, 10:42 PM
...Suck a hard one. Discuss.

emoinwinter
9/4/2006, 10:45 PM
Stats for the year are going to go down. That is the obvious one. Who wants to see that?

Blue
9/4/2006, 10:47 PM
It's complete bull****. I'm really angry about this.

If you want to cut time, cut the bull**** tv timeouts.

OUinFLA
9/4/2006, 10:48 PM
Is there a "positive" reason the change was made?
or.................even...........a reason?

Blue
9/4/2006, 10:49 PM

Cut the time games last. They want it to be a perfect 3 hours.

They better change it back after this year.

I can live with the stats thing due to a 12 game season and CCG.

OUinFLA
9/4/2006, 10:52 PM
so I only have 42 hours of OU football to look forward to this year?
bummer.

TheGodfather889
9/4/2006, 11:09 PM
Why are they starting the clock after punts? I don't get the point of that rule.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/4/2006, 11:11 PM
Well it is going to take the excitement out of ALOT of games....now a 2 or 3 TD lead almost become impossible to overcome.

The Preach Man
9/4/2006, 11:23 PM
yup, I dont like this rule either. We are going to have to change the 2 min Offense to the 4 min offense.

ouwasp
9/4/2006, 11:27 PM
To me, starting the clock at the kickoff makes sense; players are moving, blocking, in action...

Don't like the other twists. And with the added replays, seems like not much headway is to be gained.

All things considered, I'd rather have it like it was.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 11:38 PM
It's complete bull****. I'm really angry about this.

If you want to cut time, cut the bull**** tv timeouts.

No freakin' joke. Hey! TV wankers! You should adapt to how the game is played, not vice-versa! Beyonces!

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 11:41 PM
How about commercials that don't interupt the game and they can sell the time between quarters and at half at a premium?

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 11:45 PM
Don't hate me, but I will say that was one of the things I liked most about watching the World Cup - no freaking commercials except at halftime.

Statalyzer
9/5/2006, 12:50 AM
I agree with ouwasp. The clock should always run when a play is happening. The kickoff rule makes sense.

The change of possesion rules is nonsense.

No, there isn't.

TV has lengthened their crap to compensate, so it hasn't made the games shorter. I attended the Texas-UNT game and it took a little over 3 1/2 hours, same as always. The FSU-Miami game took almost an hour just to get through the 1st quarter.

Another stupid rule change is that when a call is being reviewed, it's illegal to replay it on the jumbotron.

Ardmore_Sooner
9/5/2006, 01:00 AM
They should do like some NASCAR and Indy races, put the commercial and game split screen during the commercial time and keep the game running. Plus that way your commercial would most certainly get watched. It's win- win for the TV ******s!

Ardmore_Sooner
9/5/2006, 01:01 AM
Another stupid rule change is that when a call is being reviewed, it's illegal to replay it on the jumbotron.

At the OU-UAB game, when Gresham fumbled the football, they replayed it on the big screen before it was reviewed... :confused:

LosAngelesSooner
9/5/2006, 02:19 AM
I hate the new rule.

I wish we could start a MAJOR petition to change the rules back. Is there ANY way that the masses could affect this change?

Sooner-N-KS
9/5/2006, 07:34 AM
The DOK reported that this game had the fewest plays in an OU game in the last 50 years. Stoops isn't happy about it either. I hope the coaches put up a fight.

Sooner-N-KS
9/5/2006, 07:39 AM
I already deleted the game from my DVR, but someone should count the number of commercials. I bet there are more commercials than football plays.

Statalyzer
9/5/2006, 08:14 AM
At the OU-UAB game, when Gresham fumbled the football, they replayed it on the big screen before it was reviewed...

Maybe the rule is only that it can't be replayed while the review is actually going on?

Sooner_Bob
9/5/2006, 08:40 AM
Sure, let's shorten the game time and have fewer plays in the interest of time, but by george lets review every freakin' play that might just need it . . . as long as there's a replay official in the booth the time it takes to play a game will not go down.

Sooner-N-KS
9/5/2006, 09:17 AM
I wouldn't think review time would be that big of an issue. The station needs to take commercial time anyway so they can do it during the review. There are plenty of times during the game when everyone's waiting to play, but there's a guy on the field telling officials they can't play yet because of the commercials.

handcrafted
9/5/2006, 09:54 AM
According to Stoops on the replay show, the game time was not shortened at all, but the number of snaps dropped significantly. I'll buy the new rules giving time for replay review without making the game longer, but I suspect that it's just so there can be more TV timeouts without making the game longer. Less football, more advertising. Woo.

ouflak
9/5/2006, 10:47 AM
Less football, more advertising.

Yup.

I actually like the new changes, but I think the advertisers have taken a good idea and turned it into something good for them, instead of something good for college football. The result is that we still have the original problem with college football (game too long) but now the fans are actually getting less entertainment product. I don't know how long that will last.

FaninAma
9/5/2006, 10:55 AM
The rule changes will magnify turnovers since both teams will have a reduced number of total plays. That's why OU's performance really wasn't half-bad considering we were a negative 3 in turnovers.

rhombic21
9/5/2006, 11:40 AM
I saw an interesting statistic that the number of total plays in college football games has been relatively constant over the past 30 years at about 141. So despite what the TV people want to say, it isn't the spread offenses and advent of the wide open passing attacks that make the game a lot longer. It's the advent of increased TV timeouts for advertising.

They could easily shorten the game by having the TV go to advertisements during replay reviews, rather than after change of possessions, by putting a greater emphasis on officials to not spend 5 minutes deciding whether or not it was a delay of game, by shortening the amount of time that timeouts last, by reducing halftime from 20 minutes to 15 minutes, by reducing the amount of time in between quarters, and by telling the TV crew to not start their broadcast of a game 10 minutes before the game starts. I don't need a bunch of announcers telling me that a game which I've obviously already decided to watch is important to watch (and most of the time there's a half hour pre-game show that comes on beforehand anyways which introduces the matchups).

rhombic21
9/5/2006, 11:48 AM
Also, I posted this in the other thread, but these rules hurt OU, for a number of reasons.

1) OU wants to run the ball with AD. The new clock rules make it such that if we're behind or in a close game against a lower tier team (like on Saturday), it makes it harder for us to catch up or pull away, because there are fewer snaps, which is magnified by the fact that we're going to be running the ball and chewing up a good amount of clock on offense.

2) The reduced number of snaps makes it harder for AD to wear defenses down like he has traditionally done. It's going to be a lot harder to get AD 30-35 carries a game with these new rules, especially if we want to be balanced on offense. AD is a workhorse type runner who gets better as the game goes on and the defense gets tired, and these rules shorten the game and reduce the number of snaps that the opponent has to defend AD.

3) These rules make it almost impossible to utilize HB depth like we want to. Allen Patrick got zero carries on Saturday, and Peterson still only had 24 carries. I know that UAB controlled the ball a lot, and we turned it over a ton, but still, I don't see how these new rules are going to make it possible for OU to get Peterson the 25-30 carries a game that we want him to have, and still allow time for us to get Patrick in the game. OU is a team with great depth at HB, which means that we have an advantage as the game goes on because we can wear the defense down with fresh legs when AD needs a blow. But because these new rules shorten the game by so much (they take away roughly 10% of the plays), we won't have as much time to use our HB depth.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/5/2006, 11:48 AM
Was it just me or did that Miami-FSU tilt last about 3 hours and 40 minutes last night? What, it would have lasted 4 hours without the new rules?

B.S.

soonerboy_odanorth
9/5/2006, 11:49 AM
BTW, I hate the new clock rules. It has totally altered the game for the worse in my opinion.

OUmillenium
9/5/2006, 11:58 AM
We should email/call the BIG 12 offices, networks, or any connection to them as much as possible to voice disapproval. Ripping the new rules on every message board you can find would also help.

Hopefully, if Stoops and other coaches are as ****ed as us, they'll take care of things themselves. I wish they could make the change in season but I doubt that will happen.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/5/2006, 11:59 AM
The rule is exceptionally stupid in that it is the same in the last 2 minutes of the game (5 minutes for that matter).

Imagine a game ending on a touchback? Under the new rules it could happen. If you want to shorten the game then remove a commercial from every TV time out and split screen it or whatever but don't steal it from the action in the game.

I also agree that the rule helps an underdog with a ball control game plan for the reasons that rhombic21 outlined.

RedstickSooner
9/5/2006, 12:38 PM
All valid points. But I'll tell you what cheesed me off more than ANYTHING about the change:

At some point over the weekend (the games kinda ran together in my head) the jackarse commentators had the GALL to say that "Everyone agreed these rules were necessary, and the games had to be shortened. Everyone except some of the coaches, perhaps."

As if to say that this was some kinda no-brainer, and had universal support.

I LOVE football, and the LAST thing I want is LESS FOOTBALL. And I absolutely CANNOT BELIEVE that they'd dramatically affect the competitive nature of the sport simply to satisfy this absurd and out-dated 3.25 hour scheduling fetish the networks have.

If you go to a live game without TV coverage, you already know why games take so long. Doesn't take a rocket scientist. Live non-covered games just *fly* by.

But that's okay. We tolerate 'em, because we know we want to be able to watch the games on TV sometimes. We also tolerate weird start times to accomodate TV scheduling decisions. Many teams even tolerate playing on weird nights so the TV lineup can expand its available audience space.

But when they start to actually modify the game, modify the number of plays run - that's not right, and it sure as heck should've taken a LOT more discussion and debate than it did.

To have the further GALL to claim that this was by some sort of mystical unanimous popular accord? Horse puckies. The only reason there wasn't more protest is that most fans didn't know about the change -- and even once they knew, they didn't realize just how much it affected the outcome of the game.

Even sitting through a game the change wouldn't be readily apparent unless you were a stat monkey (since the games still took as long as ever).

Why the fudge can't the networks just expand the "assumed" game length to 3.5 hours and be done with it? First game at 11 am, second round of games at 2:30 pm (they already do that part), third round at 6 pm, fourth round at 9:30 pm.

Heck, since the "normal" Saturday schedule includes that 3.5 hour delay, and then a 4.5 hour delay between the afternoon and evening game, why'd we even need to shorten the games at all?

Was this all so Sportscenter wouldn't have to start late?

What BS.

rhombic21
9/5/2006, 12:44 PM
I agree with everything you said, Redstick. Hopefully this rule is only a one year thing. It needs to be changed back, ASAP.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2006, 12:59 PM
First of all...they shouldn't show anything but football all day..I can get my news on Monday or Fox News if I really want to know what is going on in the world. Why don't we just do away with commercials and have the players sponsored like Nascar? Good Sponsors get better players. Ford Trucks brings you that Adrian Peterson 5 yard run. or what a nice block by Head On's Jon Cooper!

Octavian
9/5/2006, 01:00 PM
The rule is exceptionally stupid in that it is the same in the last 2 minutes of the game (5 minutes for that matter).

yup.

At the very least, the old rules should be in effect for the last 4 minutes of each half.

It really changes the strategy late in the game....and it bit Miami last night.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2006, 01:03 PM
I don't mind the punt rule but let's face it, college football is more exciting than the pro's because you used to could go 80 yards in 8 plays in under a minute without a timeout. The NFL doesn't have that ability.

daddywarbucks
9/5/2006, 01:12 PM
They suck, in essence removed an entire game from the schedule.

Sooner-N-KS
9/5/2006, 01:19 PM
Does anyone know any e-mail addresses for anyone that matters at the NCAA? We need a campaign to show the NCAA that fans are unhappy. I would think all schools would join in unity on this issue.

sparx1
9/5/2006, 01:42 PM
Why are they starting the clock after punts? I don't get the point of that rule.
OKAY.....I have a question.....and they did not answer it on TV. They indeed changed the rule so that the clock starts ticking with the kick rather than upon receipt. After our successful goal there was one second left.

(1) Why wasn't OU's strategy to kick the kickoff out of bounds...burning up the second?

(2) Would the rule about not being able to end the came on a penalty have come into play?

(3) If so...what would happen...another kick until one went in bounds?

JWS

rhombic21
9/5/2006, 01:48 PM
I imagine that UAB would have gotten an untimed down from the 35 (or 40?) yard line if OU had kicked out of bounds on a kickoff.

But I don't remember us scoring a TD or FG with only 1 second in a half.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2006, 01:53 PM
Well that would make more sense in a manner, i would think throwing 60 70 yard touchdown pass is ALOT less likely than a kickoff return for a touchdown, especially our team with Reggie and Iglesias back there, I would rather take my chances with Paul throwing a 60 yard touchdown if i was an opponent!

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2006, 02:23 PM
"I don't believe it's what we need in college football or what we want," "And I don't believe it's what the fans want. It's what the networks need to set their programming." "I believe 85,000 people pay to see more than 53 plays on offense and defense"

Ruh Roh...NCAA should be putting us on probation within an hour ;) :pop:

FaninAma
9/5/2006, 02:43 PM
Ruh Roh...NCAA should be putting us on probation within an hour ;) :pop:

The NCAA is made up of a bunch of senil bastages who are only worried about the dough-rei-me.

Stoops is exactly right. This crap stinks to high heaven. Although if these rules had been in place in 1999 OU might have gone 11-1. We just couldn't hold a lead and seemed to fade in the closing quarter. :D

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/5/2006, 02:51 PM
Team 2005 2006 Diff.

BU....70.6...67...- 3.6
CU....67.8...54...-13.8
ISU..71.6...67...- 4.6
KU....68.4...51...-17.4
KSU..68.2...54...-14.2
MU....81.8...75...- 6.8
NU....72.0...84...+12.0
OU....71.8...53...-18.8
OSU..68.5...68...- 0.5
TU....72.4...70...- 2.4
A&M..70.3...66...- 4.3
TT....74.7...77...+ 2.3

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2006, 02:53 PM
Well it doesn't help when 2 ball control teams collide ;)