PDA

View Full Version : I almost like Best Buy

Norm In Norman
9/4/2006, 09:05 PM
I went there today to use the 10% off coupon they always send me. I decided I wanted to get "The Three Amigos" on DVD. I figured the boy would love it (he does).

So I got there and this girl asked me if I needed help, to which I replied "No thanks." So I looked for the movie under T in the comedy section. No go. Then I looked to see if maybe it's "The 3 Amigos", but it wasn't. Then I decided to try finding "Unbreakable" instead. It wasn't in the drama section nor the action section. So I asked the girl to help me. She looked "TTA" up in the computer and said "I bet it's in one of the bins up front." It wasn't, so I asked her about Unbreakable, but she said they usually only get 2 of them and they are usually gone in minutes. But she said "I'll check out back for you." I know how this one usually goes - they don't have it. Well, she came back in 5 minutes with BOTH movies. And both were only $10. to top it off, she said "I think one of the employees was hiding Unbreakable for later, but I took it anyway."

To make a boring story boringer, I've had some pretty good luck there lately getting cheap movies that I want. In fact, my last electronics purchase worked out good too. I returned a bad DVD player on the 30th day after buying it and not only did they replace it no questions asked but it was cheaper so I got about $20 back. Did something happen to Best Buy? Or is the service in the Norman one just particularly good?

bri
9/4/2006, 09:07 PM
They're just scared of angering teh Nerm. ;)

royalfan5
9/4/2006, 09:10 PM
They are a Minnesota company, so they probably just demand politiness as part of the system. You betcha.

badger
9/4/2006, 09:28 PM
it's fun to play around with demos there. when i got my brother an iPod for his birthday, I got it from there.

Norm In Norman
9/4/2006, 09:42 PM
Remember when Dwight had the concussion and he was being really nice to Pam and Pam realized that she was sort of friends with Dwight? That's the effect I was going for with this story. I imagine Best Buy's concussion will get better.

OklahomaTuba
9/4/2006, 09:48 PM
I'll take best buy over circut city any day.

And even more so now since they are building one less than a mile from my house.

yermom
9/4/2006, 10:40 PM
holy crap, Best Buy AND Burger Street?

Owasso ROCKS

PhilTLL
9/4/2006, 11:34 PM
Am I one of the few people who has never had a serious problem with Best Buy? The only time I came close was when they didn't have any of a TV I wanted in stock other than the floor model and gave me a slightly more expensive one (same size, better brand) for the original price.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 11:53 PM
Am I one of the few people who has never had a serious problem with Best Buy? The only time I came close was when they didn't have any of a TV I wanted in stock other than the floor model and gave me a slightly more expensive one (same size, better brand) for the original price.

The day they opened a Best Buy in Norman was one of my happiest days. I no longer had to drive to freakin' OKC for computer equipment.

With that said, I tend to use newegg.com for computer stuff anymore.

yermom
9/5/2006, 02:14 AM
i rarely go there, but it's a nice option :)

DVDs are about the only thing that is really good to get there, most electronics are a LOT cheaper online, but at least you can look at them there first

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/5/2006, 09:32 AM
I bought a digital camera there in May. Almost exactly a month later it quit working on my vacation. The repair company BB sends cameras to, Precision Camera, said it wasn't under warranty because of blunt trauma to the lens. They would fix it though for $175 which is what I paid for the camera originally. The BB managers said they couldn't figure out why it wasn't under warranty, so they replaced it for free.

BeetDigger
9/5/2006, 09:58 AM
So, the Norm scorecard currently reads:

Walmart - Bad
Best Buy - Good

Norm In Norman
9/5/2006, 10:08 AM
I didn't say good. More like - not bad?

BeetDigger
9/5/2006, 10:11 AM
I didn't say good. More like - not bad?

Sorry, my bad.

Score card revised:

Walmart - bad
Best Buy - not bad

Phil
9/5/2006, 12:24 PM
I like Best Buy, but when I went in there to buy a new satellite dish for the tailgates, they told me they didn't carry them. They carry the DirecTV boxes, but not the dishes, even though there's a dish on a pole right there in the store. So I ask the guy what good the boxes do if they don't sell dishes, and he said you have to call DirecTV to come bring you a dish and install it.

What ever happened to do-it-yourself? I have bought three of those things off the shelf in Best Buy, and now they don't carry them anymore? That's a bunch of crapola.

So I went across the street to Circuit City, and there on the shelf, in a plain cardboard box, was a DirecTV satellite dish. Picked it up and bought it, no questions asked.

To sum up - Best Buy good, but no satellite dishes. Circuit City - OK, but satellite dishes available.

GDC
9/5/2006, 12:34 PM
The best thing is to support your local small businesses, like Sooner TV in Tahlequah, tell Anthony I recommended him and he will hook you up special.

GDC
9/5/2006, 12:35 PM
I meant to also say eff the big corporate chains.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/5/2006, 12:48 PM
i don't mind best buy so much now that i use an amex card. i get any fluff, i call them and they magically make it right. of course, being a travelling consultant my company makes amex a buttload of money ;)