PDA

View Full Version : Jumbotrons bad idea....

Rooster
9/4/2006, 08:29 PM
Nebraska's new HuskerVision big screen is already drawing a crowd, but it's not the crowd officials had hoped for. Bugs — mostly moths — are swarming to the new 4,000-square foot LED television.

You think someone would have thought of that, but ill admit that I didnt...

http://thewizardofodds.blogspot.com/2006/08/theyre-working-out-bugs-at-nebraska.html

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 08:32 PM
Bugs and bats used to hang out around the field lights at Moore Stadium all the time.

Doesn't seem shocking to me.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 08:33 PM
You'd think the Bugeaters would eat that up.

Rooster
9/4/2006, 08:35 PM
one of these jumbotrons is the size of a football field...thats a giant bug attractor...

tbl
9/4/2006, 08:45 PM
Maybe they ought to hang some of those blue bug zappers up next to it...

tbl
9/4/2006, 08:46 PM
Speaking of, are those things illegal now? I haven't seen one in years...

Rooster
9/4/2006, 08:52 PM
probably are ilegal..Im sure some bugs rights group got them banned..
but your right...I haven't noticed any in a while..

Big Red Ron
9/4/2006, 09:01 PM
Wait until the UT screen lights up the Asstin sky. That big bat cave down there should be fun to watch.

Half a Hundred
9/4/2006, 09:21 PM
Wait until the UT screen lights up the Asstin sky. That big bat cave down there should be fun to watch.

What already crowds around that thing bugs the hell out of me.
:D

Snrfn4ever08
9/4/2006, 09:24 PM
What already crowds around that thing bugs the hell out of me.
:D
Texass SucksHook 'em

Norm In Norman
9/4/2006, 09:26 PM
I noticed this weekend Texas has one of those things too. Now we need something better. I'll be damned if those bugeaters and longwhorns have one up on us! WHO'S WITH ME???

I say we need one that curves all the way from the edges of the south end zone to the upper decks. And they'd better be HD or better.

OklahomaTuba
9/4/2006, 09:27 PM
So when does the soonervision score board become one big *** tv set?

I give it 5 years, max.

Snrfn4ever08
9/4/2006, 09:28 PM
I noticed this weekend Texas has one of those things too. Now we need something better. I'll be damned if those bugeaters and longwhorns have one up on us! WHO'S WITH ME???

I say we need one that curves all the way from the edges of the south end zone to the upper decks. And they'd better be HD or better.
damn, let's just fix this for good and build one that circles the entire stadium:D

Rooster
9/4/2006, 09:29 PM
we would have to call in the orkin guy or we'd all be eatin alive...
and he better have a giant crop duster...

Snrfn4ever08
9/4/2006, 09:31 PM
we would have to call in the orkin guy or we'd all be eatin alive...
and he better have a giant crop duster...
all we have to do is show giant pictures of ad and all of the bugs will die due to the awesomeness of ad's glory

Paperclip
9/4/2006, 09:38 PM
The screen at Texas is huge, but the portion being used for replays isn't any bigger than ours. The rest of the thing is filled with ads.

Big Red Ron
9/4/2006, 09:42 PM
The screen at Texas is huge, but the portion being used for replays isn't any bigger than ours. The rest of the thing is filled with ads.heh figures. I like ours just fine.

OklahomaTuba
9/4/2006, 09:50 PM
We just need another one, to replace the screen in the north endzone.

That, and someone to work the score board who knows how to keep up with the right downs.

Vaevictis
9/4/2006, 09:58 PM
Good god, I understand wanting to have one of those, but the maintenance costs on those are bound to be obscene a few years down the road.

Norm In Norman
9/4/2006, 10:04 PM
I just think think they could do some cool things with the stats with something like that.

Paperclip
9/4/2006, 10:06 PM
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/06/17/46/image_4746176.jpg

Norm In Norman
9/4/2006, 10:19 PM
Dude, those ads are horrible. If we did that then I'd prefer to keep what we have. They should be ashamed.

Boarder
9/4/2006, 10:34 PM
Dude, those ads are horrible. If we did that then I'd prefer to keep what we have. They should be ashamed.

What's the chances of the OU Athletic Department NOT adding it up? 1%? 1.7%?

During the game, just turn around and look inside the window at the plasmas.

Norm In Norman
9/4/2006, 10:37 PM
What's the chances of the OU Athletic Department NOT adding it up? 1%? 1.7%?

During the game, just turn around and look inside the window at the plasmas.
You've got a point. Joe C would ensure that it was 90% ads and 10% useful information. The screens on the deck always have ads flashing.

Eddie Money
9/5/2006, 12:03 AM
I could live with the jumbotron we have, but what we REALLY need to fix is that horrible sound system we have.

Nebraska's sound and video is incredible (it was the last time I was there, anyway) and all we have is a couple speakers on the South end and just turn 'em up as loud as they will go. Am I the only one who think it is pathetic that they can't put a couple more speakers on the North end or even on the East and West sides? I feel sorry for the folks sitting in front of those things.

At least get a couple of guys with ghetto blasters up there...

hgarmorer
9/5/2006, 12:06 AM
Speaking of, are those things illegal now? I haven't seen one in years...

Hell, we have them all over the place here, WalMart, Home Depot, Lowes, of course it is just South of Hell, I mean Louisiana, so go figure.

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 12:08 AM
I could live with the jumbotron we have, but what we REALLY need to fix is that horrible sound system we have.

Nebraska's sound and video is incredible (it was the last time I was there, anyway) and all we have is a couple speakers on the South end and just turn 'em up as loud as they will go. Am I the only one who think it is pathetic that they can't put a couple more speakers on the North end or even on the East and West sides? I feel sorry for the folks sitting in front of those things.

At least get a couple of guys with ghetto blasters up there...
yea, i'm in the northeast corner of the stadium right above where the schooner comes out and the sound is horrible from that side of the stadium.

boomersooner28
9/5/2006, 03:30 AM
Oh goodness.....ticket prices are gonna go up again after we purchase a TV the size of Mangino.

Readyfor8
9/5/2006, 04:21 AM
We don't need another Jumbotron in the North Endzone that less than 30% of the stadium would see. No one on the north of the southern 40 yard line would ever look up there.

Landthief 1972
9/5/2006, 09:13 AM
I would settle for a scorekeeper who could stop putting the yard marker in the yards to go spot and vice versa. I lost count at the number of times it was 3rd and 39 on the 3 yard line, according to the clock.

Pricetag
9/5/2006, 09:27 AM
We don't need another Jumbotron in the North Endzone that less than 30% of the stadium would see. No one on the north of the southern 40 yard line would ever look up there.
Yeah, who gives a crap about the people who don't already have a good view of the one in the south end zone, right? :rolleyes:

That orange nightmare has to go. They shouldn't have built it up like that if they weren't going to put a decent screen in there.

OklahomaTuba
9/5/2006, 09:57 AM
Joe C, the 1970's called, they want their orange screen back.

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/5/2006, 10:47 AM
They can do whatever the heck they want to as long as all the referees agree to turn off their mics before blowing they whistles ever again.

Sooner98
9/5/2006, 12:32 PM
I like the one that Arkansas put in. Kind of a wide screen like you see at some of the newer pro stadiums. Keep what we currently have above the south end zone, and put one of those above the north. EVERYONE would be able to see it. What we have there now is useless from where I sit (NE corner). I always love it when the PA guy says, "And now, for scores from around the country, please check the north end zone scoreboard", only to look up and see the team names, but unable to see the score. :mad: Oh, and I'll second the motion to upgrade our pathetic sound system.

Joe87OU1
9/5/2006, 01:39 PM
We just need another one, to replace the screen in the north endzone.

That, and someone to work the score board who knows how to keep up with the right downs.

Yeah! What is up with the guy running to joy stick on the score board. At one point in the game when we were on Baby Mack's 3 yard line, I looked up and there it was: 3rd down, 43 yards to go......

...and, a 'tron on the north end would be s-w-e-e-t!

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2006, 01:51 PM
I think we should build a dome over the stadium and turn the roof into one huge jumbo tron

Partial Qualifier
9/5/2006, 01:55 PM
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/B/06/17/46/image_4746176.jpg

That's hideous.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/5/2006, 01:57 PM
We should all call that Pizza Hut and order 40 pizza's to be delivered to the Athletic Dorms in Texas ;)

Norm In Norman
9/5/2006, 09:48 PM
yea, i'm in the northeast corner of the stadium right above where the schooner comes out and the sound is horrible from that side of the stadium.
I sit in section 23 and I think it sounds AWESOME!

Just kidding.

sooneron
9/5/2006, 09:52 PM
That's hideous.
I agree. I hate all the ad **** and scores. Score/down/ydg/ time should always be illuminated by things called "bulbs".

goingoneight
9/5/2006, 10:17 PM
one of these jumbotrons is the size of a football field...thats a giant bug attractor...

I think that's the point in Bugeater country! :D

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 10:18 PM
I sit in section 23 and I think it sounds AWESOME!

Just kidding.
i also sit in 23

goingoneight
9/5/2006, 10:20 PM
Oh goodness.....ticket prices are gonna go up again after we purchase a TV the size of Mangino.

Thank you, I have now officially spewed BEER out of my nose. A little less painful than Dr. Pepper, though. :D

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 10:31 PM
I like the one that Arkansas put in. Kind of a wide screen like you see at some of the newer pro stadiums. Keep what we currently have above the south end zone, and put one of those above the north. EVERYONE would be able to see it. What we have there now is useless from where I sit (NE corner). I always love it when the PA guy says, "And now, for scores from around the country, please check the north end zone scoreboard", only to look up and see the team names, but unable to see the score. :mad: Oh, and I'll second the motion to upgrade our pathetic sound system.
Yeah, the one at Arkansas is real good. Anything to distract the locals from another home loss to an elite team.
I also noticed that Louisville has a bigger JumboTron from watching their game on Sunday and Alabama has a new JumboTron located on the end zone where they added the seats. I believe Texas A&M has a new bigger screen as well. Those will make the OU JumboTron seem like a Philco black and white TV set.

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah, the one at Arkansas is real good. Anything to distract the locals from another home loss to an elite team.
I also noticed that Louisville has a bigger JumboTron from watching their game on Sunday and Alabama has a new JumboTron located on the end zone where they added the seats. I believe Texas A&M has a new bigger screen as well. Those will make the OU JumboTron seem like a Philco black and white TV set.
vintage is better

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 10:36 PM
vintage is better
In that case, Skelly Stadium in Tulsa is old-school since they still have that old dot matrix board.

Paperclip
9/5/2006, 10:37 PM
A&M's new "ewetube".

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/regurkmatt/DSC02018.jpg

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 10:38 PM
In that case, Skelly Stadium in Tulsa is old-school since they still have that old dot matrix board.
by vintage, i meant more like antique. as in actually having value

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 10:39 PM
A&M's new "ewetube".

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m139/regurkmatt/DSC02018.jpg
In a way, I like that better than the "Godzillatron" down in Austin.

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 10:40 PM
yea, notice the lack of ads on this screen

AllAboutThe'O'
9/5/2006, 10:43 PM
yea, notice the lack of ads on this screen
I'm thinking the sign where the Verizon logo is rotates several ads during the game.

Partial Qualifier
9/6/2006, 09:33 AM

Dude, it's way better. Normal aspect ratio, and no freaking ads all over it. The one at DKR looks tacky. That one looks sweet.

mrowl
9/6/2006, 10:10 AM
Dude, it's way better. Normal aspect ratio, and no freaking ads all over it. The one at DKR looks tacky. That one looks sweet.

why would you want a 4:3 ratio? when EVERYTHING is going 16:9?

I do agree that aTm's looks better since they didn't ruin it with the ads.

colleyvillesooner
9/6/2006, 10:29 AM
Cruised hornfans and they despise the new jumbo tron. Stopped calling it Godzillatron and are now going with "Adzillatron." heh

Apparently, the "part" they need to show full 16:9 HD replays won;t come be ready until October sometime. Still will have the Ad border though. Ha ha. :D