2,136 yards
6 Int
9 TD

Rushing
100 Carries
353 Yards (+515, -162)

Readyfor8
9/4/2006, 05:50 PM
While we "struggled" at home vs. UAB... They struggled at home to SJSU. They pretty much rise and fall with thier QB, and thier Defense is attrocious. The game breaker is Stanford, but he is easy to contain behind an average Offensive Line.

They might be able to sneak up on us, but I think they fall hard this weekend.

Offense

OL - Oklahoma
RB - Oklahoma
QB - Washington
WR - Oklahoma
TE - Oklahoma this feels good to say again

Defense

DL - Oklahoma
DB - Slight Edge to Oklahoma
LB - Oklahoma

Special Teams

Punting - Washington
Punt Returns - Oklahoma
Kickoff Returns - Oklahoma
PATs - Oklahoma

Their punter is averaging 45+ per we are averaging 40+. They Husky DB's had a tough time with SJSU this week. And although they ran for 300 yards and had over 460 total yards, they were playing a team that was blown out on several occasions by mediocre teams the year before and is pretty much the same team from what I can tell.

I felt we would win by a touchdown or so vs. UAB, this one I think we win going away by 2 or more TD's

soonercody
9/4/2006, 06:28 PM
Bob Stoops vs. Tyrone Willingham

birddog
9/4/2006, 06:43 PM
i've got ou -17 over the huskies. i feel really good about that. i say ou 38 huskies 17.

OUstud
9/4/2006, 06:46 PM
While we "struggled" at home vs. UAB... They struggled at home to SJSU. They pretty much rise and fall with thier QB, and thier Defense is attrocious. The game breaker is Stanford, but he is easy to contain behind an average Offensive Line.

They might be able to sneak up on us, but I think they fall hard this weekend.

Offense

OL - Oklahoma
RB - Oklahoma
QB - Washington
WR - Oklahoma
TE - Oklahoma this feels good to say again

Defense

DL - Oklahoma
DB - Slight Edge to Oklahoma
LB - Oklahoma

Special Teams

Punting - Washington
Punt Returns - Oklahoma
Kickoff Returns - Oklahoma
PATs - Oklahoma

Their punter is averaging 45+ per we are averaging 40+. They Husky DB's had a tough time with SJSU this week. And although they ran for 300 yards and had over 460 total yards, they were playing a team that was blown out on several occasions by mediocre teams the year before and is pretty much the same team from what I can tell.

I felt we would win by a touchdown or so vs. UAB, this one I think we win going away by 2 or more TD's

You mean Stanback, right? ;)

r5TPsooner
9/4/2006, 06:51 PM
This week will tell us a lot about this years OU team, and what kind of season to expect.

sooner94
9/4/2006, 06:51 PM
I don't think Wash has the advantage at QB. More game experience? Yes. I have watched a few Washington games with Stanback at QB and am not very impressed. Very good athlete but probably an average QB.

The lack of talent around him definitely doesn't help him, but still I am not impressed.

I think we pitch a shut-out this weekend.

sooneron
9/4/2006, 07:01 PM
NO WAY they are better than us at DB. You missed on that one.
I'll give them the edge at qb. I haven't seen them play since ND last year and bits and pieces after that.

I want some payback for the 85 OB!!!

Readyfor8
9/4/2006, 07:02 PM
I don't think Wash has the advantage at QB. More game experience? Yes. I have watched a few Washington games with Stanback at QB and am not very impressed. Very good athlete but probably an average QB.

The lack of talent around him definitely doesn't help him, but still I am not impressed.

I think we pitch a shut-out this weekend.

I gave them the benifit because PT has only one game under his belt, but it was a good game for him. Don't kid yourself Stanback ;) is a good player and he will cause some headaches, although he is more of a threat rushing.

TrophyCollector
9/4/2006, 08:54 PM
SJSU was ranked #104 in total defense in 2005, allowing a modest 441 yards and 32.5 points per game. Husky got just over those averages on them with 468 yards and 35 points.

So on the offensive side, looks like they did just about what they should have.

Ash
9/4/2006, 09:00 PM
SJSU was ranked #104 in total defense in 2005, allowing a modest 441 yards and 32.5 points per game. Husky got just over those averages on them with 468 yards and 35 points.

Yup, and defensively the Huskies gave up 29 points to SJSUs back up QB who dropped over 300 yards passing on them.

TXBOOMER
9/4/2006, 09:49 PM
DJ Wolfe didn't play disciplined this week. He will correct that and be ready to go this week. OUr DB's are much better than theirs. I love 6-4 Malcolm Kelly against their 5-10 field corner Fountain. I think OU will have open receivers to throw it to all day. If PT can hit his open guys this week he should gain a lot of confidence.

Desert Sapper
9/4/2006, 10:16 PM
Directly from the soonersports U-Dub game notes (http://www.nmnathletics.com//pdf7/42353.pdf). I thought these were the highlights. This comes from UW, so take it for what it's worth. I'm thinking Stanback is a crappy passer, and will have a hard time running against us like he did against SJSU. Maybe it's me, but I think we tackle a lot better this game. I'm pretty sure BV about murdered the entire defense in the film room. Unless Stanback has that no-quit leg pump that Hunt and those two RBs had in the UAB game, he's going to get destroyed. If OUr receivers can figure out how to catch the ball, ENA should terminate the UW secondary. This is through my crimson shades, but hey, still my $.02. Enjoy the reading material:

Huskies vs. Sooners History : Washington's one and only meeting with Oklahoma remains one of the
most famous games in the long history of Husky football. That Huskies-Sooners matchup took place in the
Orange Bowl on Jan. 1, 1985, with all sorts of national championship implications on the line. The Huskies,
who finished No. 2 behind Brigham Young in both major polls that season, beat Coach Barry Switzer's Oklahoma
team, 28-17, behind a game MVP performance from tailback Jacque Robinson. The Huskies rushed for 192
yards in the game, surprising an Oklahoma defense that ranked No. 1 in the nation against the run, allowing
an average of only 68 yards per contest. Robinson, who was also the MVP of the 1982 Rose Bowl, picked
up 135 on those yards. Washington entered the game 10-1 overall and ranked No. 4 in the country while the
Sooners were ranked No. 2 with a 9-1-1 record. No. 1 Brigham Young had already disposed of a 6-5 Michigan
team in the 1984 Holiday Bowl, but conventional wisdom held that if the Sooners beat the Huskies, Oklahoma
would likely end up atop the polls. The Huskies had missed out on their chance for an unbeaten season and a
Pac-10 title in the next-to-last game of the regular season when USC handed the top-ranked Huskies a 16-7
loss. In the Orange Bowl game, Washington jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first quarter on a 29-yard pass
from Paul Sicuro to Danny Greene and a one-yard Robinson run. However, the teams went to the locker room
at halftime tied at 14-14 after a one-yard TD run from OU's Danny Bradley and a 61-yard pass from Bradley
to Derrick Shepard. After a scoreless third quarter, one of the most well-remembered and unusual incidents
in Husky history occurred. After OU's Tim Lashar kicked a field goal to apparently give his team its first lead,
the Sooners were penalized when the "Sooner Schooner" trotted onto the field prematurely as there had been
a penalty on the play that had thus negated the field goal. After the original five-yard penalty and 15 more
yards for unsportsmanlike conduct moved the kick back 20 yards, Tim Peoples blocked the next try, keeping
the game tied at 14-14. However, Lashar later nailed a 35-yard field goal gave the Sooners a 17-14 lead with
8:48 to go. The UW then rallied behind Hugh Millen, who came off the bench in relief of Sicuro, who had
replaced him as the starter earlier in the season. Miller drove the UW 74 yards on seven plays, the last a
12-yard TD to former Roosevelt High teammate Mark Pattison. On the ensuing OU drive, Husky linebacker Joe
Kelly intercepted a pass at the Sooners' 10-yard line to set up a six-yard TD run from Rick Fenney that put the
game away. Amid controversy, Brigham Young emerged as the No. 1 team in both major polls.

San Jose State recap: Washington opened the 2006 season with a 35-29
win over San Jose State last Saturday at Husky Stadium, the UW’s first win in
a season opener since 2001. The Huskies’ ground attack amassed an even 300
yards, led by 145 yards from tailback Louis Rankin, 102 from quarterback Isaiah
Stanback and 53 from Kenny James. All three scored a rushing touchdown as well.
The first of three first-half UW turnovers that led to San Jose State field goals
gave the visitors an earl lead before James gave the Huskies a lead they’d never
surrender with a 17-yard TD run. After another Jared Strubeck field goal, Rankin’s
scintillating 34-yard run made it 14-6 and, after the third FG, Stanback hit James
with a 21-yard scoring pass to make it a 21-9 Husky lead at the half. However, in
the second half, SJSU came back behind quarterback Adam Tafralis and receiver
James Jones, who connected on three TD passes. After the first of those cut the
Dawgs’ lead to 21-15, Stanback scored on a six-yard run. A 50-yarder from Tafralis
to Jones amde it 28-22, but once again, the Huskies answered as, on the first play
fo the ensuing drive, Rankin ran 68 yards for his second TD of the day. Tafralis hit
Jones for a six-yard score with 2:03 remaining, but despite getting the ball back for
one last possession, the Spartans couldn’t complete the comeback.

QB #4 Isaiah Stanback, Sr., 6-3, 215 – Opened 2006 with solid game vs.
SJSU, passing 16-for-25 for 168 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT, while rushing for
102 yards and a TD on 17 carries ... set new career highs for carries and
rushing yards ... returning starter at QB who started all 11 games last
season ... 2,136 yards passing in ‘05 were 15th-most in UW history ...
averaged 194.2 per game, 11th-most in UW history ... 2,489 yards in
total offense were 10th in UW history and 226.3 per game was 8th ...
career-high 353 yards came last year vs. Notre Dame ... 22-for-39 for
301 last season vs. Cal ... drafted by the Orioles in the 2006 MLB draft
despite not playing baseball at the UW ... has run track the last two
springs, taking fifth in 100m at the 2006 Pac-10s ... best time in 100 is
10.48. Career Highs: 39 att., 22 comp., 353 yards, 2 TDs; 17 rush att.,
102 rush yds., 2 rush TDs.

TB - #8 Kenny James, Sr., 5-10, 215 – UW’s most experienced tailback
with 31 career games and 16 career starts ... started vs. SJSU, gaining
53 yards on 14 carries with 1 rush TD and 1 receiving TD ... 21-yard
TD catch was career-first ... injuries limited 2005 season as he played
in only 7 games and rushed for only 103 yards ... has compiled 1,388
career rushing yards on 337 carries ... ran for career-high 189 yards in
win over San Jose State in 2004 ... also ran for 133 vs. UCLA in ‘04.

Career Highs: 27 car., 189 yds., 2 TDs, 4 rec., 31 rec. yds.

TB - #9 Louis Rankin, Jr., 6-0, 205 – Rushed for 145 yards and 2 TDs on
10 carries vs. SJSU, despite not starting ... rushed for TDs of 34 and
68 yards vs. SJSU ... started first 7 games of last season before toe
injury ... rushed for 112 yds. in first career start vs. Air Force ... first UW
back to rush for 100-plus in first career start since Corey Dillon (1996)
... rushed for 100-plus 3 times in 2005: 112 vs. Air Force, 115 vs. Idaho,
109 vs. UCLA ... rushed for 2,245 yards as a high school senior in 2002.

Career Highs: 23 car., 145 yds., 2 TDs, 2 rec., 29 rec. yds.

WR #5 Anthony Russo, Jr., 5-11, 185 – Started vs. SJSU and led UW with
5 rec. for 43 yards ... started all 11 last year after one start in 2004 ...
caught 30 passes for 487 yds. last year ... also returned punts ... led UW
in punt and kick returns in 2004. Career Highs: 5 rec., 85 yds., 1 TD.

WR #18 Corey Williams, Jr., 6-2, 195 – Started vs. SJSU and had 4 catches
for 32 yds. ... played in 3 games in 2004 before breaking a bone in his
hand at Notre Dame ... played in 10 games last season, with 1 start ...
in ‘04, caught 5 passes for 72 yards in Notre Dame game before the
injury ... played in nine games as a true freshman in 2003 ... caught five
passes for 57 yards, and provided what was probably 2003’s top UW
highlight, cathing a 21-yard, game-winning TD pass against Washington
State with 1:10 to play. Career Highs: 5 rec., 72 yds., 1 TD.

Washington Points off Turnovers

Sept. 2 vs. San Jose State Outcome Points

no San Jose State turnovers
Totals: 0 turnovers, 0 touchdowns, 0 FGs, 0 points

Opponent Points off Turnovers

Sept. 2 vs. San Jose State Outcome Points

SJSU interception (Lowery from Stanback) SJSU field goal 3 points
SJSU fumble recovery (Damaja Jones from Rankin) SJSU field goal 3 points
SJSU fumble recovery (Harper from Gottlieb) SJSU field goal 3 points
Totals: 3 turnovers, 0 touchdowns, 3 FGs, 9 points

MiccoMacey
9/5/2006, 12:25 AM

On defense, either 8 or 9 of those players are back this year, and are now a year stronger, a year more mature, and a year more experienced.

It would be silly of me to imagine that our players develop year after year but other teams do not. I'm not saying they'll be world-beaters, but their defense should be improved as well.

GDC
9/5/2006, 10:42 AM
Huskies program tumbles downward
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/5/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

After winning a national title in 1991, UW has been plagued with problems.
NORMAN -- There was a national championship, followed by dorm room shenanigans, probation, a coaching change and, finally, a sharp decline in the success of the football program.

Oklahoma, yes. But the same thing happened at Washington.

The biggest difference is that the Huskies still make residence at rock bottom.

"It's a good coaching job," insists UW coaching legend Don James. "It gets great support. It's a great university. And it's a delightful area to live. It just needs continuity."

James points out that this year's seniors are on their third head coach, Tyrone Willingham, who went just 2-9 last season in his inaugural year.

Here's how far Washington football has fallen:

In James' second season (1976), the Huskies finished 5-6. They didn't have a losing record again until 26 years later, when they went 1-10 in 2004 -- the worst season in school history.

Last year marked the program's first back-to-back losing records since 1973-74. If this year's team finishes where they're picked -- at the bottom of the Pac-10 Conference -- it'll be the first three-year losing skid since 1947-49.

Attendance for last weekend's season opener -- a 35-29 victory over San Jose State -- was 52,256. That's the lowest Husky Stadium crowd since 1981, when 50,410 turned out to watch a game against Arizona State. The 2005 attendance was down almost 10 percent from '03.

Willingham's teams at Stanford and Notre Dame were just 1-6 against the Huskies. He said he never envisioned in those days that a program like Washington would fall on such hard times.

"Even good programs around the country go through ups and downs," Willingham said. "Hopefully it's very minor and short-lived, as I hope the run will be here with my program."

Washington's woes can be traced back to James' early 1990s teams. Not long after the Huskies went 12-0 and won the 1991 national championship, quarterback Billy Joe Hobert revealed that he had accepted a $50,000 loan from a family friend (not a coach, a booster or anyone affiliated with the university, James said). That sent the Pac-10 and the NCAA into an intensive investigation.

Four players testified they had been paid for jobs at which they didn't work, and another player was arrested for selling drugs in the dorms (charges were later dismissed). James said no player ever took an illicit dime, and he said no coach or player sanctions were ever meted out.

"We had the great year," James said, "then we just had the most negative publicity you could ever get."

James said the Pac-10 initially handed down a one-year probation, but when the league added another year and paid the university for lost TV money, "I said screw it. For all we'd done for this league? You've got not one coach's violation and not one player's violation, and you're going to do that? I'm done with this university, and I'm done with this league.' "

After 18 years, James resigned prior to the '93 season, taking his 153-57-2 record and six Pac-10 titles with him, and the program hasn't been the same since.

Jim Lambright went 44-25-1. Rick Neuheisel came in 1999 and in four seasons went 33-16. Neuheisel was 11-1 in 2000, with a Rose Bowl crown and a No. 3 national ranking, but observers say that was a mirage because quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo willed the Huskies to victory several times in seven close games.

Neuheisel's last two teams were 8-4 and 7-6, and he was fired after participating in an NCAA basketball tournament office pool. (Neuheisel later received $4.5 million in a wrongful termination lawsuit against UW.)

Keith Gilbertson replaced Neuheisel, but by then the Huskies were sliding into oblivion. UW finished 6-6 in 2003 and 1-10 in '04. Players that Neuheisel recruited were not on board with the change.

"I don't think they were getting players that were dying to be Washington football players," said former UW quarterback Hugh Millen. "They were getting players who were wanting to play for Rick Neuheisel.

"Rick's message was, 'Come to Washington and you'll have the greatest college experience you can have.' I don't think that's the message Bob Stoops is selling in living rooms. I think he's saying, 'Come to Oklahoma and it may be the hardest experience you ever had, but you'll be in the winning locker room.' "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].

GDC
9/5/2006, 10:46 AM
OU Notebook: Welcome back, Bob
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
9/5/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

Former Oklahoma State head coach Bob Simmons returns to Owen Field on Saturday as tight ends coach and special teams coordinator for Washington. Tyrone Willingham hired Simmons to coach linebackers at Notre Dame, then brought him to Seattle when he took over the Huskies two years ago.

"I tried to hire Bob probably back in 1995," Willingham said Monday. "I think that was about the time he became the head coach at Oklahoma State. He was at Colorado at the time.

"I respected him as a man, I respected him as a coach, and I thought he could assist our team in being successful. He has done that at the places we have been together."

Simmons went 2-1 at OU as Cowboys coach, highlighted by a 12-0 shutout in his '95 ****** debut. OSU went 3-3 against the Sooners under Simmons overall.

UAB postscript: It took one swing pass last Saturday night for OU running back Adrian Peterson to eclipse his two-year total of receiving yards. He had accumulated 62 yards on 14 career catches, before zipping 69 with Paul Thompson's check-down against UAB.

Peterson cut outside of the first wave of containment about 10 yards downfield, got a crushing block from tight end Joe Jon Finley to

clear him to the sideline, then simply outran UAB safety Brandon Register, who appeared to have a direct line to Peterson coming from the middle, to the end zone.

"He is the best player we've seen in my 12 years here," Blazer coach Watson Brown said afterward. "Maybe the best player I have ever seen."

At Saturday's rate, Peterson will have piled up 1,668 rushing yards, another 828 receiving, and 24 touchdowns at the end of the regular season.

Crash test dummies?: At least one Seattle native feels the Huskies will be out of their league Saturday.

"There is little reason to expect anything less than a garroting in Norman, Okla.," Seattle Post-Intelligencer columnist Art Thiel wrote Monday. "The Sooners figure to be testy. The Huskies appear crash-testy, as in, um, mannequins.".

Desert Sapper
9/5/2006, 11:08 PM
"There is little reason to expect anything less than a garroting in Norman, Okla.," Seattle Post-Intelligencer columnist Art Thiel wrote Monday. "The Sooners figure to be testy. The Huskies appear crash-testy, as in, um, mannequins."

That sounds good to me. I just hope we execute better defensively against UAB. Tackles and sacks are much better than whiffs and mouthfuls of Owen field grass. OUr receivers could try and catch some of Paul's passes this time, too (and not drop or tip them). That would be nice. I don't think I can take another catchable ball to Iglesias that doesn't end in OUr favor. Just saying...