PDA

View Full Version : Is this true?

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 04:14 PM
Only five offensive linemen played the entire game?

Only one RB played the entire game?

No substitutions?

Can't remember where I read that, but is this a corect statement, and if so, why didn't we sub to get more people some playing time?

oufan1
9/4/2006, 04:18 PM
On the one RB that is wierd but I think it was a combo of wanting to get AD carries and the new clock rules shortning the game more than we realized

TrophyCollector
9/4/2006, 04:25 PM
Because we let them keep the ball so much we only ran like 57 plays. I don't think anyone really needed a break and the game was way too close to worry about getting backups any playing time. When the game is close you have to stick with who you believe to be your best.

batonrougesooner
9/4/2006, 04:28 PM
Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Readyfor8
9/4/2006, 04:38 PM
If you pull AD you are pretty much saying "we are passing, tee off on our brand new QB," and our depth at OL isn't that great so letting those players get some gel time is ok by me.

AD keeps the offense honest, and if we can establish AP or Gute as a reliable backup in the next few games we can pull some of the pressure off of AD and Thompson later.

In short everything comes in time. I'm happy with the W.

GDC
9/4/2006, 06:36 PM
Sooners shaky
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
9/4/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

OU sees win as learning experience; will work on missed tackles and keeping offense simple
Boiling down Oklahoma's 24-17 victory over Alabama-Birmingham in Saturday's season opener:

The defense missed tackles that led to an additional 115 yards total offense for the Blazers, but gave up just three points after four OU turnovers, and in the fourth quarter, with the Sooners nursing a touchdown lead, allowed zero points.

The offense, despite four turnovers, was simplified enough that OU ran the ball 17 of 20 times in the I-formation and passed 13 of 15 times in the shotgun formation -- and still averaged 7.3 yards per play.

"The way I look at it is, yeah, we'll learn a lot from it," head coach Bob Stoops said. "There's a lot our players can see that we can be better at, and we still won."

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Sunday afternoon that the Sooners' litany of missed tackles was "discouraging" and "disappointing," but said that the defensive effort "jumped off the screen" during film study. He said corrections would be made as OU prepares to meet Washington.

The Blazers and backup quarterback Sam Hunt routinely found Sooner defenders out of position (Stoops called out the

ends) to defend a series of quarterback draws and option plays.

OU's next opponent is UW and quarterback Isaiah Stanback, who executed a spread-option offense on Saturday for 102 yards rushing and 168 passing in a 35-29 win over San Jose State.

Venables said the quarterback run game presents a challenge simply because "they have you outnumbered. . . . That's why a guy that can run it and throw it is very difficult to defend. Obviously, (UAB) was a nice precursor for preparation and getting our guys' attention."

Venables said he liked that the Blazers couldn't pass when they had to and couldn't run with power when they wanted to.

"When they got in their two-back stuff and ran their leads and power," he said, "we smoked them good. That wasn't an issue."

Offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson said his scheme wasn't dumbed down for QB Paul Thompson, who returned to the position after eight months at receiver. Wilson said he limited the formations to pinpoint the attack.

OU used just three backfield formations (I, one-back and shotgun), and two primary receiver sets (two tight ends and three wide receivers) with only minor variations.

"Sometimes when you try to do too much, you can be scattered and all over the place and it's hard to set things up," Wilson said. "Sometimes when you're staying in the same formation sets, you're getting a bead on their alignments."

For example, Wilson said, he scripts the first few plays of every game, but when he saw how the Blazers were lining up against OU's two-tight end, one-back formation on the Sooners' first drive, he scrapped the script and called a pair of pass plays to tight end Joe Jon Finley on the second drive. Finley caught one for 25 yards, then hauled in a 21-yard touchdown.

Another reason for the "vanilla," Wilson said, was uncertainty about UAB's new defensive coordinator. But, he added, "we were not trying to hold anything back, I promise you that."

Although Wilson called 27 runs and 25 passes, there were distinct trends:

In the I-formation, OU ran 17 times and passed three. In the shotgun, OU ran twice and passed 13. In the one-back, there were eight runs and 10 passes.

In the two-tight end set, OU ran 16 times and passed seven. In the three-receiver set, there were six runs and 17 passes.

"Sometimes we can be so creative . . . (that) before you know it, you're just calling a bunch of plays and you're not setting up things."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online: Read other stories about OU football and the OU blog by writers John Hoover and Guerin Emig at www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra..

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 06:59 PM
If you pull AD you are pretty much saying "we are passing, tee off on our brand new QB," and our depth at OL isn't that great so letting those players get some gel time is ok by me.

AD keeps the offense honest, and if we can establish AP or Gute as a reliable backup in the next few games we can pull some of the pressure off of AD and Thompson later.

In short everything comes in time. I'm happy with the W.

Don't get me wrong...I wasn't criticizing. Just hadn't heard this being done.

Our rookies will get some playing time eventually. I just thought that was one of the game plans.

bri
9/4/2006, 07:04 PM
This isn't a time to worry about making sure everyone plays; we need to gel the offensive line, and AD has been working hard to be a bigger part of the pass game.

soonercody
9/4/2006, 07:07 PM
Micco, why do you question the play calling? ;)

badger
9/4/2006, 07:43 PM
i talked to john cooper after the game and he said they had the same 5 guys out there, crediting schmidty's conditioning. so... i guess he would know.

101sooner
9/4/2006, 07:45 PM
This isn't a time to worry about making sure everyone plays; we need to gel the offensive line, and AD has been working hard to be a bigger part of the pass game.

Also,the NCAA decided to shorten the actual game time to the point that OU had the fewest total plays since 1960. Back-ups get less playing time when 20% of the plays are cut so TV revenues increase so that every school can replace perfectly fine facilities with even better perfectly fine facilities.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 08:56 PM
Bob even addressed the shortened game thing in his post-game interview.

I don't think the Coaches think much of the NCAA's decision.

SoonerObsession
9/4/2006, 11:29 PM
I think after a couple of the longer A.D. runs, he needed to come out for a play or two. Allan Patrick is a fine substitute that deserves to at least give A.D. a break.

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 11:45 PM
I would just like to see at least the two-deep play some because:

1) It will help us down the road if/when someone on the line gets injured and they have to substitute. They will be more prepared because they will have had more real game time,

AND

2) It's the fair thing to do. These guys worked out all summer long in hot conditions and they deserve to play as much as the....OK, OK, I can't pull that one of with a straight face.

But the other point has some validity to it.

But, In Bob I Trust.

Egeo
9/4/2006, 11:58 PM
on the post game press conference bob talked about it

he said he would get patrick playing time, but because of the ball control offense uab had, he said AD did not need the break

also, i was pretty impressed with AD's pass blocking
i noticed several times he picked up a blitzer and held more than his own (besides the holding call)

MiccoMacey
9/5/2006, 12:19 AM
Cool. Wasn't questioning, just wondering.

stoopified
9/5/2006, 08:10 AM
Just win baby,just win.

Widescreen
9/5/2006, 11:21 AM
For example, Wilson said, he scripts the first few plays of every game, but when he saw how the Blazers were lining up against OU's two-tight end, one-back formation on the Sooners' first drive, he scrapped the script and called a pair of pass plays to tight end Joe Jon Finley on the second drive. Finley caught one for 25 yards, then hauled in a 21-yard touchdown.
This, folks, is why I'm pretty high on our new OC.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
9/5/2006, 11:44 AM
110 total plays in the game. i think we had that many against aTm in the 77-0 game...

jwlynn64
9/5/2006, 11:49 AM
also, i was pretty impressed with AD's pass blocking
i noticed several times he picked up a blitzer and held more than his own (besides the holding call)

Except when he missed his block and PT threw an interception on the three yard line because he had to rush his pass!:eek:

All joking aside, I'm glad that AD is being used in the pass game. He makes the defense pay if they decide to ignore him. I'm guessing our other opponents won't make the same mistake.

RedstickSooner
9/5/2006, 12:09 PM
With the reduction in total number of plays, our advantage with conditioning kinda flies out the window.

Why bother with all that off-season running & cardio work when the game's over before hardly anyone gets gassed? Really bothers me, since a big part of how we've played in the past against inferior teams is to be sorta generic and grind it down until the inferior team starts to fall apart late in the game due to exhaustion.

I've never seen a procedural change instituted with such a dramatic effect on the game itself, and with so little comment or consultation from those most affected.

All so the networks don't have to worry about their 3 1/4 game length schedule being exceeded and screwing up their saturday lineup.

Landthief 1972
9/5/2006, 01:45 PM
Network TV and the NCAA are doing their damnedest to ruin college football. :mad: