PDA

View Full Version : Meteorology ****** *******s

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 01:15 PM
Why has the weather this year been so hard to predict on a day-to-day basis?

I realize the weather's hard to predict but it seems like the news meteorologists aren't even battin' .200 lately. More misses this year than in years past.

Not that I'm complaining about the rain.....

Howzit
9/4/2006, 04:25 PM
Globule worming.

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 05:20 PM
A pity reply!! Thanks Howzit :D

TopDaugIn2000
9/4/2006, 05:41 PM
must be nice for it to be OK to be right only about 15% of the time at work......

bri
9/4/2006, 05:44 PM
Well, it's not like they're leaving off their TPS report cover sheets or anything. They're just trying to consistently and accurately predict, you know, one of the most random and unpredictable phenomena on the planet. Live on TV, no less. ;)

TopDaugIn2000
9/4/2006, 05:45 PM
ehhhhhh, pish

SoonerInKCMO
9/4/2006, 05:51 PM
Confirmation bias. People like to make fun of meteorologists and say they're never right - so they remember the times the weather dude/dudette is way off and forget all the times they are right.

9/4/2006, 05:57 PM
I can see how meteorology would be a difficult job in God's country. Oklahoma is the only place I've been in weather that dropped from 65° to 23° in under 20 minutes.

We've had tornado watches a few times since we moved here. My wife and I always say, "Yeah, whatever."

The weather dudes here put a lot of effort making "mid-to-upper 90s with lows in the upper 70s" sound different every day.

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 06:22 PM
Well, it's not like they're leaving off their TPS report cover sheets or anything. They're just trying to consistently and accurately predict, you know, one of the most random and unpredictable phenomena on the planet. Live on TV, no less. ;)

I know, and I've never bitched about the forecasts.. it just seems like their percentages are WAY down this year. That's all I'm sayin :D

OUinFLA
9/4/2006, 06:25 PM
Florida: 60% chance of rain tomorrow.

I didnt get rain today................ok, you're in the 40%
I got flooded today....................told ya.

hurricane'bone
9/4/2006, 09:10 PM

While the ladies try to look hot.

bri
9/4/2006, 09:12 PM
And they DO. :D