PDA

View Full Version : horns arrested!

MRNOTDUCKS
9/4/2006, 11:23 AM
This info comes froom hornfans:

Its true, Tarrell Brown and Arron Harris arrested.

This is what they are charged with from the Travis County website.

BROWN, TARRELL LAMEEK
Booked: 9/4/2006 04:55
Facility: CENTRAL BOOKING

Charges (2)
POSSESSION MARIJUANA 2 OUNCES OR LESS
CLASS B MISDEMEANOR -- Cause Number: 744495
Bond:$500.00 ANY TYPE OF BOND
Disposition: 9/4/2006 PERSONAL BOND

UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPON
CLASS A MISDEMEANOR -- Cause Number: 744494
Bond:$5,000.00 ANY TYPE OF BOND
Disposition: 9/4/2006 PERSONAL BOND

HARRIS, AARON THOMAS
Booked: 9/4/2006 04:41
Facility: CENTRAL BOOKING

Charge (1)
POSSESSION MARIJUANA 2 OUNCES OR LESS
CLASS B MISDEMEANOR --
No bond information available for this charge.

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 11:24 AM
I still don't find satisfaction from another team's failures. Especially when we're talking about our future society. No good can come from this.

swardboy
9/4/2006, 11:25 AM
Well, I'm sure Mac will slap them on the wrist and then start clappin'.

fadada1
9/4/2006, 11:26 AM
oops.

whadya bet they aren't suspended for tosu.

fadada1
9/4/2006, 11:27 AM
I still don't find satisfaction from another team's failures. Especially when we're talking about our future society. No good can come from this.
true.

except when it happens to horns.

don't think they didn't love what happened to us last month.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/4/2006, 11:40 AM
Not good for them.

Hopefully these guys can straighten up

TheGodfather889
9/4/2006, 11:44 AM
Isn't Aaron Harris an ex Horn? Or is that supposed to say Aaron Ross?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/4/2006, 11:46 AM
I still don't find satisfaction from another team's failures. Especially when we're talking about our future society. No good can come from this.Not good for society, but good for whorn football.

The VIIIth
9/4/2006, 11:46 AM
This puts Mack in a bind. Bob has set the bar with regard to player punishment. Mack has let any number of these guys slide in the past but with Coach Stoops' example of zero tolerance no matter who you think you are, Mack is between a rock and a hard place.

Suspend and risk losing to OSU. Winning is heady wine and Mack is drunk with the spirit right now, don't suspend and wait for the media backlash because you sold out for the victory...

I love it.:texan:

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 11:47 AM
true.

Immature people loved it. And they loved what they thought it might do to our program.

I'll just believe that hearing bad news like this is bad for society, which trumps a football game. I know it goes on, but it still saddens me because athletes have a great opportunity to be excellent role models.

BOOMERBRADLEY
9/4/2006, 11:47 AM
Aaron Harris is their very good LB I believe

Second coming of Derrick Johnson supposedly...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/4/2006, 11:48 AM
Don't punish those guys, and still lose to tOSU.....priceless.

TheGodfather889
9/4/2006, 11:55 AM
Bob Stoops played Brandon Everage after he was caught with marijuana. So I imagine those two guys will too.

Ruuuuuufus
9/4/2006, 12:00 PM
Aaron Harris graduated last year and never caught on in the NFL (really slow 40 time didn't get him many looks).

Ruuuuuufus
9/4/2006, 12:02 PM
Bob Stoops played Brandon Everage after he was caught with marijuana. So I imagine those two guys will too.

Maybe, but the marijuana charge is the lesser of the two against Brown.

OUinFLA
9/4/2006, 12:03 PM
yeah, what the heck, it should be legal anyway.
:texan:

I suspect it will take 6 days for all the "facts" to emerge, at which time MB will punish the offenders...............if they are actually offenders.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/4/2006, 12:05 PM
OK, it's legit now:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/index.html

Also it's marijuana and WEAPONS charges

Octavian
9/4/2006, 12:13 PM
T. Brown was going to match-up w/ Teddy Ginn this weekend...

I'd be surprised if Mack plays him...

sooner94
9/4/2006, 12:28 PM
Mack will sweep it under the rug and treat it like it never happened.

That's how he does things. I still have yet to get a coherent explanation from a Horns fan on how Ramonce Taylor played in the Rose Bowl, but was then dismissed after the Rose Bowl for not meeting academic requirements. Wouldn't the grade situation have been known in December, before the Rose Bowl?

Oh well, that's how Mack does things.

Now that I just read what I wrote, isn't "coherent explanation from a Horns fan" a contradiction? Probably.

PDXsooner
9/4/2006, 12:29 PM
if this makes you happy, then i'd consider taking a good, long look at yourself and where you're going in life...

fadada1
9/4/2006, 12:31 PM
Immature people loved it. And they loved what they thought it might do to our program.

I'll just believe that hearing bad news like this is bad for society, which trumps a football game. I know it goes on, but it still saddens me because athletes have a great opportunity to be excellent role models.
i totally agree.

i'm just stooping to their level on this one.

soonercody
9/4/2006, 12:33 PM
Just kids tryin' to make a living.

KYHonorarySooner
9/4/2006, 12:53 PM
T. Brown was going to match-up w/ Teddy Ginn this weekend...

I'd be surprised if Mack plays him...

You think Mack would think twice about playing them... seriously? Unless the national media makes a real stink about them being arrested they will be on the field in their usual roles. Screw :mack:

MojoRisen
9/4/2006, 12:56 PM
Smoking Dubbie is better than the Beast- Much better for blood pressure and if we taxed it would curb our education problem from a financing stand point-

Fact underground economy in Hawaii is 14 Billion- Sales tax 7% = ?

Just sayin

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 01:03 PM
true.

No kidding, but if we took it to their level, we'd be saying "TIP OF THE ICEBERG -- MACK IS COVERING UP A HUGE DRUG CARTEL RUN BY PRESENT & FORMER LONGORNS -- MACK LET THESE GUYS TAKE THE FALL FOR WHAT'S OBVIOUSLY A HUGE DRUG OPERATION -- THE GUY WHO GOT BUSTED FOR 5 LBS. IN HIS BACKPACK MONTHS AGO IS PROOF THIS IS A PROGRAM-WIDE EPIDEMIC...."

so on & so forth.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 01:08 PM
Hearing and Publishing news like this is good for our society IMO.

We can use these guys as examples when we bust our own kids who try to tell us..."It's no big deal...everybody is doing it.".

Sweeping it under the rug is criminal IMO.

What Bob Stoops did prior to our season makes me prOUd to call myself a Sooner.

If Brown doesn't treat a weapons charge as a serious offense...then it proves why so many good kids choose to come to Oklahoma.

If you carry a weapon while having illegal contraband...well...you've usually turned your misdemeanor into a felony.

Is it sad that these guys got caught or more sad that they might skate?

47straight
9/4/2006, 01:17 PM
Owning a gun is unforgiveable to the communists on the 40 acres at UT. That alone will make sure this isn't swept under the rug. ;)

47straight
9/4/2006, 01:22 PM
No kidding, but if we took it to their level, we'd be saying "TIP OF THE ICEBERG -- MACK IS COVERING UP A HUGE DRUG CARTEL RUN BY PRESENT & FORMER LONGORNS -- MACK LET THESE GUYS TAKE THE FALL FOR WHAT'S OBVIOUSLY A HUGE DRUG OPERATION -- THE GUY WHO GOT BUSTED FOR 5 LBS. IN HIS BACKPACK MONTHS AGO IS PROOF THIS IS A PROGRAM-WIDE EPIDEMIC...."

so on & so forth.

Perfect.

I think "lack of institutional control" is an appropriate description. Too bad living the thug life isn't an NCAA violation.

MojoRisen
9/4/2006, 01:23 PM
Was it a gun? looked like a class A charge-

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 01:26 PM
Was it a gun? looked like a class A charge-
I just figured it was...

A knife is different IMO.

I guess they could have been toking it up after hitting the batting cages and the weapon was a bat?:rolleyes:

fadada1
9/4/2006, 01:32 PM
".88 magnum. it shoots through schools."

Octavian
9/4/2006, 01:55 PM
You think Mack would think twice about playing them... seriously? Unless the national media makes a real stink about them being arrested they will be on the field in their usual roles. Screw :mack:

This is the second UT starter this year to be arrested for a drug/weapon charge.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Mack has much choice.

In any event, Tarrell Brown is beggin' for a farkin'

http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/1960/brownsk0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Sonner magic923
9/4/2006, 02:04 PM
how come theres always some horn on here tryin to kick us when were down but they never come on here to run to there fellow horns aide

nanimonai
9/4/2006, 02:09 PM
I'm sure there's a UT booster out there to pick up the bail.

Plano UT
9/4/2006, 02:19 PM
It is two misdemeanors, nothing will come of it except a small fine and community service. I am more concerned about the weapons charge than the drug charge. If every coach through off every kid with pot there would be few players (there would be like 3 NBA players).

This is why we won the MNC in partying though I don't think there was a gun totting category.

Nice job Terrell. Way to keep the hippie, communist, dope smoking stereotype alive and well for UT.

homerxsimpson
9/4/2006, 02:21 PM
I still have yet to get a coherent explanation from a Horns fan on how Ramonce Taylor played in the Rose Bowl, but was then dismissed after the Rose Bowl for not meeting academic requirements. Wouldn't the grade situation have been known in December, before the Rose Bowl?

To be a scholarship athlete you have to maintain a certian GPA and show certian progress toward a degree. It's been said that while Ramonce's GPA was above the level, he was not taking (passing?) enough hours toward a degree for the # of years he's been enrolled. It was good enough for that semester but he would have needed summer school to reach the 'progress' level in order to play during this semester/year. Rumor had it that it was a lot of hours that were going to be needed and Mack banned him from team activities (he never kicked him off the team) until he got his **** together (but all the while knowing he likely wasn't gonna get it done).

The drug charges just made things worse, but Ramonce was likely never gonna see the field this year anyway.

MojoRisen
9/4/2006, 02:28 PM
It is two misdemeanors, nothing will come of it except a small fine and community service. I am more concerned about the weapons charge than the drug charge. If every coach through off every kid with pot there would be few players (there would be like 3 NBA players).

This is why we won the MNC in partying though I don't think there was a gun totting category.

Nice job Terrell. Way to keep the hippie, communist, dope smoking stereotype alive and well for UT.

Rocky Raccoon stepped into his room and found gideons bibble !

Louisiana Husker
9/4/2006, 02:28 PM
Looks like http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/images/smilies/12smoke.gif may have started a tradition in Austin.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 02:37 PM
I am more concerned about the weapons charge than the drug charge.
You should be.

The mixture of the two makes the drug charge even more serious.

Most folks figure you aren't thinking very clearly when you go around smoking pot with weapons in your vehicle. I would think a Judge and/or a DA might think so too.

But...we are talking about Austin here. Anything can happen on this one.

MojoRisen
9/4/2006, 02:40 PM
Rolling down the street smoking indo sipn on gin and juice! Austin kids are junkies!

sooner94
9/4/2006, 03:08 PM
how come theres always some horn on here tryin to kick us when were down but they never come on here to run to there fellow horns aide

Exactly! It's the bandwagon fan mentality. Jump on when its going well.

I live in Big D, and UT shirts/hats were fairly common during the 5 straight beatings. I think it increased 10x after they beat OU and won the NC. Now you can't throw a rock without hitting some dumbass wearing a UT shirt.

Ash
9/4/2006, 03:09 PM
Looks like http://www.ezekielbearsports.com/bbs/images/smilies/12smoke.gif may have started a tradition in Austin.

ROFLMAO!

:texan: :D :mack: :D

47straight
9/4/2006, 03:18 PM
Way to keep the hippie, communist, dope smoking stereotype alive and well for UT.

That stereotype is why the university will crack down - it must be preserved, and owning guns is just too.... American?

I am more concerned about the weapons charge than the drug charge.

Of course you are. UT might get a rep for being gun-toting hillbillies. :)

boomrsoonr
9/4/2006, 03:27 PM
This is what happens when an entire University elevates a Ricky Williams to God-like stature.

Readyfor8
9/4/2006, 03:30 PM

Wait a second here, the NFL suspends players for multiple games to multiple seasons, the NBA suspends players for multiple seasons, if you think this is just another charge at the next level you are mistaken.

Say what you want about your National Championship but players don't play thier best on dope, and yes most players would be suspended for these misdemeanors.

OKC-SLC
9/4/2006, 04:02 PM
Texas can suck my azz.

Gawd, I hate them and everything about them.

Harry Beanbag
9/4/2006, 04:08 PM
Does Mack hand out the hippie lettuce as per diem down there? How many UT players in the last 5 years have been busted for marijuana?

Octavian
9/4/2006, 04:37 PM
Texas Coach Mack Brown released a statement regarding defensive backs Tarell Brown and Tyrell Gatewood, who were arrested Monday with former Longhorn Aaron Harris.

“We are aware of the situation with Tarell (Brown) and Tyrell (Gatewood) and have met with both of them,” Brown said. “We’re working closely with the young men and the authorities. At this time, we are holding them out of all team functions as we gather as much information as possible before making a team decision.”

Tarell Brown and Gatewood were released from Travis County Jail about noon today, seven hours after they were arrested on misdemeanor marijuana charges. Brown was also charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon, a loaded 9 mm handgun. They were released on a personal bond.

Harris still had not been released Monday afternoon and was waiting to go before a magistrate.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/index.html

trwxxa
9/4/2006, 05:13 PM
[QUOTE=Octavian][“We are aware of the situation with Tarell (Brown) and Tyrell (Gatewood) and have met with both of them,” Brown said. “We’re working closely with the young men and the authorities. At this time, we are holding them out of all team functions as we gather as much information as possible before making a team decision.”/QUOTE]

So I guess that means one of two things. Find a judge to dismiss the charges or have a "discussion" with the arresting officer about "probable cause". ;)

daMentor
9/4/2006, 05:15 PM
That comment? Airball.

Most of us who are pleased by this are doing extremely well in life....college football is an ESCAPE for us, a LEISURE activity, a HOBBY that helps us relax and release tension. Therefore, any good Sooner fan should be as happy about this as 99% of Shorthorn fans were about the Bomar/ Quinn situation. And they were happy, believe me....happier than Michael Jackson in a kindergarten boys restroom.
Well I guess I'm in the 1% range. It just doesn't make me happy to see a football player get in trouble with the law. Whether he plays for Texas or OU, either way it doesn't make me "happy." I am however interested to see how Mac handles this situation. I already know that if it were an OU player in this situation he would most likely already be kicked off the team. So we'll see what happens.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/4/2006, 05:23 PM
WOW!

"It was a recreational gun"

Details emerge on Longhorns’ arrest

By Suzanne Halliburton | Monday, September 4, 2006, 03:39 PM

Austin lawyer Jamie Balagia is representing both Tarell Brown and Tyrell Gatewood, the Longhorn football players who were arrested early Monday with ex-Texas player Aaron Harris on drugs and weapons charges.

He told the American-Statesman Monday that both his clients were drug tested — at their request — to prove that the small amount of marijuana that led to their arrest was not theirs.

“All in all, it was a weird set of circumstances,” Balagia said. “When the facts come out, this will be resolved pretty quickly.”

According to the arrest affidavit, Brown was arrested after deputies pulled over Harris in a traffic stop on Interstate 35 North just before 3 a.m. Brown was asleep in the back seat. Deputies saw a gun in his lap, and banged on the windows of the car to wake him. Balagia said the weapon was a “recreational gun” Gatewood had purchased two weeks ago for target practice. The report said it was a loaded 9 mm handgun. Balagia said that Brown had found the gun on the floorboard of the backseat and picked it up.

Texas Coach Mack Brown released a statement Monday.

“We are aware of the situation with Tarell (Brown) and Tyrell (Gatewood) and have met with both of them,” Brown said. “We’re working closely with the young men and the authorities. At this time, we are holding them out of all team functions as we gather as much information as possible before making a team decision.”

Tarell Brown and Gatewood were released from Travis County Jail about noon today, seven hours after they were arrested on misdemeanor marijuana charges. Brown was also charged with unlawfully carrying a weapon. They were released on a personal bond. Harris was released around 4 p.m., according to Balagia.

Big Red Ron
9/4/2006, 05:29 PM
That comment? Airball.

100%

FaninAma
9/4/2006, 05:34 PM
Horn players are probably no better or no worse than players from any other primier D-1 program including OU. The difference, however, between the fan bases regarding the trangranssions of players from the two programs is like night and day.

While a vast majority of horn fans continue to gleefully cast stones from in front of their glass houses, a great number, if not majority, of Sooner fans on this thread have been pretty level headed and very ungleeful in their comments.

Very telling.

It is a mildly amusing that horn players get caught in all kinds of compromising predicaments but there always seems to be an innocent explanation that the horn faithful swallow hook, line and sinker. I guess it really is just an unfortunate series of events that all of these horn players keep getting picked up in situations where drugs are present.

It will be interesting to see if Brown sees the field this weekend.

AlbqSooner
9/4/2006, 05:41 PM
How Mack handles this will be telling indeed. The thing that surprises me is that no one has commented on the fact that 2 scholarship athletes, during the season, are being booked into jail at 4:55 a.m.

1991SOONER
9/4/2006, 05:43 PM
Horn players are probably no better or no worse than players from any other primier D-1 program including OU. The difference, however, between the fan bases regarding the trangranssions of players from the two programs is like night and day.

Not true, its part of their culture in Austin. I know becuase I used to hang out in Austin back in my party days (in cognito of course).

That green haze above the Austin skyline, that is doobie smoke.

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 05:43 PM
WOW!

Wow indeed! So in Austin, you can take a drug test to prove the marijuana found in your possession ...really isn't yours?

And I can't speak for you guys, but whenever I find someone else's loaded 9mm handgun, I ALWAYS rest it on my lap before going to sleep. I mean, I NEVER fail to cradle other people's loaded handguns before napping in the back of someone's car at 4 in the morning! it's just good practice.

:confused:

the sad thing is, an Austin judge will buy all that crap, just like they bought the story from the 4 guys busted with weed a couple years ago.

1991SOONER
9/4/2006, 05:47 PM
the sad thing is, an Austin judge will buy all that crap, just like they bought the story from the 4 guys busted with weed a couple years ago.

True.

I can already hear the sucking sound of money going to the judges account.

Desert Sapper
9/4/2006, 06:13 PM
I personally want to see UT at full strength for their game with tosu. The better UT is, the bigger the launching platform the RRS becomes. I take no pleasure in UT players becoming ineligible (if that is indeed what happens with this). Excuses about who was missing and the like don't make for good football games. I want RRS to be a great game this year with us winning and no excuses from either side.

colleyvillesooner
9/4/2006, 06:19 PM
I think we'll see a "he's not gonna start" decision, with him entering the game in the second defensive series. Too much potential money for UT riding on this game. But, I'd love for Mack to prove me wrong and bench him.

FaninAma
9/4/2006, 06:25 PM
Maybe this is the reason why nothing seems to ever happen to UT football players who run afoul of the law or otherwise dodge legal entanglements:

Free football tickets? Judges say yes
Legal scholars say UT's offers raise ethical concerns; justices say practice is no big deal.

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, September 02, 2006

By Ralph K.M. Haurwitz

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Thirty judges accepted free or discounted tickets to University of Texas football games during the past five seasons, according to records obtained by the Austin American-Statesman under the Texas Public Information Act.

The recipients included some members of the state's highest civil and criminal courts, as well as federal trial and appellate judges. The judges typically attended pregame receptions sponsored by the UT System with free food and beverages, including beer and wine.

UT System records show the university supplied 449 tickets to the judges from the 2001 through 2005 seasons. Of those tickets, 280 were free. The judges paid face value for the rest but did not make a contribution to UT athletics required of ordinary fans for the right to buy tickets. Some judges took two tickets for a single game, while others accepted as many as 44 distributed among 23 games.

Legal scholars say the practice raises ethical questions.

The scholars note that state and federal judicial conduct codes say judges generally should not accept gifts from parties whose interests have come or are likely to come before them. The university is frequently involved in litigation, and a few of the judges have handled cases involving the school.

However, the conduct codes permit judges to accept "social hospitality." The occasional ticket could be regarded as such, especially if the judge in question is not presiding over a university-related case. But a steadier supply of tickets probably does not qualify as ordinary hospitality, the scholars say.

"It seems to me that something like this, particularly when you're talking about 30 or 40 tickets, which are worth a lot of money, is improper for a judge to accept," said Jeffrey Shaman, a law professor at DePaul University in Chicago and co-author of a textbook on judicial ethics.

"It looks as if the university is trying to curry favor with the judge, and it looks as if the judge is accepting this attempt to curry favor. I think it's wrong for the university to do this, and judges should know better."

The judges, nearly half of whom earned at least one degree at UT, and university officials say there is nothing improper about the practice.

The judges say that the tickets are a social courtesy, that the practice would not affect their treatment of the university in court and that they sometimes donate money or time to the university. School officials and officials of the UT System, which oversees the campus, say they have long offered tickets to judges, lawmakers and other public officials to maintain good relations.

"It's a small favor for the time I know we over here in the federal courthouse give the university," said U.S. District Judge Sam Sparks, referring to panels he and other judges serve on regularly at the UT School of Law. Sparks was the recipient of 34 tickets, of which 30 were free.

"I personally don't think there's anything there that's improper. Of course, if I did I wouldn't have gone to the receptions and received the tickets," added Sparks, who has presided over a trade secret case involving the university since 2001 and who previously oversaw litigation concerning race as a factor in admissions to the law school. His rulings in these and other cases have sometimes gone against the university and sometimes in the school's favor.

Judge Barbara Hervey of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals said she accepted 26 tickets, including 10 for free, "to support the University of Texas as another state agency. I felt like they were doing a hospitable social thing by including members of state government."

UT-Austin President William Powers Jr. said judges "are important public officials, and it benefits us to have them included in our activities. I think what we're doing is appropriate. We certainly would take advice from the judges if they felt otherwise."

The overarching question in judicial ethics is whether a judge's actions could undermine public confidence in the integrity and independence of the courts, said George Kuhlman, ethics counsel for the American Bar Association.

Kuhlman declined to address the Texas matter, but said that in the Chicago area, where the association is based, tickets to University of Notre Dame football games "are considered gold ingots from Fort Knox more than they are ordinary social hospitality."

Longhorn tickets, at least during the team's recent winning seasons, would also seem to have a 24-karat quality. The face value of tickets during the past five years has ranged up to $175 for the Rose Bowl contest in January between UT and the University of Southern California.

But an ordinary fan wishing to sit near where the judges watch games at Royal-Memorial Stadium — between the goal and the 50-yard lines — might have to contribute hundreds or even thousands of dollars to UT's Longhorn Foundation, which raises money for athletics, for the right to purchase tickets at face value. Several judges said they were not aware of that rule.

Highly prized tickets, such as those for the Sept. 9 game against Ohio State University, can fetch a couple of thousand apiece on Internet resale sites.

The UT System cut back in 2003 on the number of judges to whom tickets are offered and began providing them at face value only this season, which begins with today's home game against the University of North Texas.

Mark Yudof, chancellor of the UT System, declined to comment. Michael Warden, a spokesman for the system, said making tickets available to judges, lawmakers and other public officials is a longstanding and legal practice, "and there is nothing inappropriate or unethical in that practice."

The Texas penal code allows judges and other public servants to accept an item issued by a governmental entity for use of the entity's property. That includes tickets to a public university's athletic venues, according to the Texas Ethics Commission. The tickets do not have to be disclosed on personal financial statements filed with the commission, but a few judges do so anyway.

Determining whether any state judge's acceptance of tickets violated the Texas Code of Judicial Conduct is a complex matter that would involve the number of tickets, whether the university was a litigant before the judge, whether the judge disclosed the tickets and other factors, said Seana Willing, executive director of the State Commission on Judicial Conduct.

The code of conduct for federal judges and a related set of gift regulations also would require a judge-by-judge, point-by-point review before anyone could conclude that a particular gift is right or wrong, said Karen Redmond, a spokeswoman for the Administrative Office of the United States Courts.

One judge in Texas got in trouble several years ago for his handling of complimentary UT tickets. Steve Mansfield, then a member of the state Court of Criminal Appeals, was arrested by campus police in 1998 for trying to scalp his tickets. He pleaded no contest to trespassing and was reprimanded by the Commission on Judicial Conduct.

Judges in other states have been disciplined for accepting tickets to professional sports events.

The Ohio Supreme Court publicly reprimanded a judge in 2002 for taking tickets to Pittsburgh Steelers football games from a lawyer handling cases in his court. Two years earlier, the Florida Supreme Court issued a public reprimand against a judge for accepting tickets to Florida Marlins baseball games from a law firm whose lawyers appeared before him.

Those decisions, while not binding in Texas, show that the courts concluded that tickets did not amount to ordinary social hospitality, said Steven Lubet, a law professor at Northwestern University who specializes in judicial ethics.

Donald Burnett Jr., dean of the University of Idaho College of Law and a former judge, said even tickets that arguably fall within ordinary social hospitality should be declined if the donor has a matter pending before the judge. A judge who accepted dozens of tickets might have to recuse himself or herself in a case involving the university, he and other scholars said.

"I'd worry more about the recidivist, the repeat offender, than a judge who accepts the occasional ticket," said James Alfini, president and dean of the South Texas College of Law and a member of an American Bar Association panel on judicial conduct. "On the other hand, I'd have to ask if there really is mischief here."

The judges in Texas say it's simply not a big deal.

James Nowlin, a senior U.S. District Court judge who received 28 tickets, including 20 that were free, said he has made $26,100 in contributions to the university since 2000. Nowlin said that far exceeds the value of the complimentary tickets, which, in recent years, he has given to a law clerk and the clerk's spouse.

"My view is if anybody gives $26,000 to the university, they ought to get a few tickets," Nowlin said.

Harry Lee Hudspeth, a senior federal judge who accepted 44 tickets, all but three for free, said: "I just never viewed it as a transaction that would trigger that concern. If the University of Texas at Austin were a plaintiff or defendant in some case before me, I might have reservations," but that's never happened.

Dale Wainwright, a state Supreme Court justice who accepted five tickets, of which four were free, rejected any suggestion of impropriety. "There are no actions I take that violate the law or ethics," he said.

The Supreme Court's chief justice, Wallace Jefferson, has not accepted Longhorn tickets — not because he has any queasiness about the ethics of doing so but because he reserves weekends for his son's soccer games and other family activities.

"I don't see a gift like that as influencing a judge one way or another," Jefferson said. "Reasonable people I suppose could differ on that."

Recipient Position Number of tickets*
Harry Lee Hudspeth senior U.S. district judge 44
William Wayne Justice senior U.S. district judge 44
Marilyn Aboussie former chief justice, Texas 3rd Court of Appeals 36
Sam Sparks U.S. district judge 34
James Baker former Texas Supreme Court justice 28
Mike Keasler Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge 28
James Nowlin senior U.S. district judge 28
Barbara Hervey Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge 26
Lawrence Meyers Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge 25
Carl Dally former Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge 16
Jack Onion Jr. former presiding judge, Texas Court of Criminal Appeals 16
Mack Kidd deceased justice, Texas 3rd Court of Appeals 14
Tom Price Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge 13
David Puryear Texas 3rd Court of Appeals justice 12
Bea Ann Smith Texas 3rd Court of Appeals justice 10
Fortunato Benavides 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge 9
Cheryl Johnson Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge 9
Orlando Garcia U.S. district judge 8
Guy Herman Travis County probate judge 8
Charles Holcomb Texas Court of Criminal Appeals judge 7
Craig Enoch former Texas Supreme Court justice 6
Xavier Rodriguez U.S. district judge 6
Dale Wainwright Texas Supreme Court justice 5
Priscilla Owen 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge 4
Nathan Hecht Texas Supreme Court justice 3
Paul Green Texas Supreme Court justice 2
Sharon Keller presiding judge, Texas Court of Criminal Appeals 2
Tom Phillips former chief justice, Texas Supreme Court 2
Steven Wayne Smith former Texas Supreme Court justice 2
Don Willett Texas Supreme Court justice 2
Total tickets 449
*A discounted ticket includes one for which the judge paid face value but not the contribution to University of Texas athletics required of ordinary fans for the right to purchase a ticket at face value. Source: University of Texas System

Big Red Ron
9/4/2006, 06:34 PM
WOW, Fan, that deserves it's own thread!

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 06:39 PM
"I don't see a gift like that as influencing a judge one way or another," Jefferson said. "Reasonable people I suppose could differ on that."

Oh my goodness.

Not to mention the timing of that article couldn't be more appropriate.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 07:26 PM
Once the facts ($$$$) come out, this will be resolved quickly.

lol.

Ash
9/4/2006, 08:17 PM
WOW, Fan, that deserves it's own thread!

I agree.

Ya know that if this were about Oklahoma, whorns would be swarming this board calling for the death penalty. Just sayin'.:rolleyes: :texan: :rolleyes:

MRNOTDUCKS
9/4/2006, 08:34 PM
You know I was thinking about this, Stoops set the bar for what should happen here. I mean, what Bomar did was not even against the law -- it was against NCAA regulations, but it wasn't against the law.

Mack has to boot these guys from the team or else he won't be on par with Stoops in the eyes of the world.

If Texas wants a Miami like reputation, then do nothing about this. But if you want to show some integrity, it's time to act and not hide behind these kids' lying lawyer.

Sooner-N-KS
9/4/2006, 08:41 PM
You know I was thinking about this, Stoops set the bar for what should happen here. I mean, what Bomar did was not even against the law -- it was against NCAA regulations, but it wasn't against the law.

I really mostly agree with you, but Bomar did break the law a couple of times in the past year by drinking underage. I think the current situation is a much more serious violation of the law so a distinction needs to be made.

GreaterState
9/4/2006, 10:06 PM
I personally want to see UT at full strength for their game with tosu. The better UT is, the bigger the launching platform the RRS becomes. I take no pleasure in UT players becoming ineligible (if that is indeed what happens with this). Excuses about who was missing and the like don't make for good football games. I want RRS to be a great game this year with us winning and no excuses from either side.

This is exactly why (contrary to what many posters are saying) many Horns and I did not celebrate when the Bomar thing happened. Leave aside the questions of whether it's good for society -- it's bad for those who just want to beat OU with him there, like last year. None of us like excuses and so I prefer the teams playing at full strength. I imagine more of us have that in common than you'd think.

As for this thing, I guess there's an interesting debate about "innocent until proved guilty" etc. but leave that aside, Mack can and should easily sit them for tOSU just for breaking training. Whatever, it's a holiday weekend, but it's also game week for Austin's biggest game in many years, so rollin' down 35 at 2:45 (when the stop happened) isn't cool. The story doesn't add up either. When was the last time you slept through a police traffic stop? The lights usually wake me up. And with our laws it's pretty damn hard to have an illegal firearm in Texas. I doubt the two players were smoking, but they should know to stay further away from blunts and such during the season.

Dear Tarell Brown: Not only are you supposed to be one of the leaders period, but because of Ted Ginn you were entering the biggest *personal* week of press coverage in your charmed life. Not smart.

OUinFLA
9/4/2006, 10:09 PM
Ok, I think that was a reasonable post.

horninokc
9/4/2006, 11:01 PM
OK, I admit I enjoyed the Bomar thing and I was also ready to eat nails when I heard about Brown today. Especially this week it is about the most stupid thing he and Gatewood could have done. I'll try to post the link to the officer's report but it does show some things that that add a different light to the situation. Brown was found asleep in the car with the pistol in his lap. Not a good thing there, for sure. The gun is registered to Gatewood, who was asleep in the front seat. They say they had been at a shooting range earlier in the day. Doesn't explain why they would be so stupid to not unload the gun and put it in the trunk. Harris (former palyer) was stopped for weaving but passed a sobriety test. Then admitted to smoking some weed. One cigar "blunt" was found under the seat. Gatewood and Brown both asked to be drug tested to prove they had not smoked. Of course, if Harris smoked in the car while they were asleep that may be not be good either.

Views here range across the board with some wanting them off the team, some wanting them suspended and others wanting to wait for all the facts. I want all of the facts to come out but am really ****ed about the distraction this creates for the team this week. No matter what the facts turn out to be these guys need to not make stupid decisions like this and what the hell are they doing out at 3:00 am?

BTW, I am a die hard Horn who commutes here during the week to work for OU. So I know I am going to get an earful tomorrow at work. But what the hell? I give as much as I get but I really hope Oct 7 has a happy ending because work will take on a whole new level of "getting" if we lose to you guys. For the record, that ain't gonna happen.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/tarell_brown_affadavit.pdf

Link is to arresting officer's affidavit

Ash
9/4/2006, 11:28 PM
Man, I don't know how many times I've been rollin' at 3 am, passed out in the back seat with my loaded 9mm while my friend who's stoned out of his gourd goes a-weavin' down the Interstate. And I never woke up until the cops had me in cuffs. *hardy har*

Can't we just admit that this was simply a case of poor judgement by some fun lovin' kids?

I mean, who hasn't been there before?

Gosh, I remember those wacky college days...:sigh:

Octavian
9/4/2006, 11:56 PM
OK, I admit I enjoyed the Bomar thing...

nice...

...the officer's report...does show some things that that add a different light to the situation. Brown was found asleep in the car with the pistol in his lap. Not a good thing there, for sure. The gun is registered to Gatewood, who was asleep in the front seat. They say they had been at a shooting range earlier in the day. Doesn't explain why they would be so stupid to not unload the gun and put it in the trunk. Harris (former palyer) was stopped for weaving but passed a sobriety test. Then admitted to smoking some weed. One cigar "blunt" was found under the seat. Gatewood and Brown both asked to be drug tested to prove they had not smoked. Of course, if Harris smoked in the car while they were asleep that may be not be good either.

Yes. I'm sure only 1 (the former player, of course) of the 3 was smoking pot.

I also believe that the loaded 9mm sitting in Brown's lap had been there for the last 12 hours, not moving an inch since their harmless trip to the shooting range earlier in the day.

Views here range across the board with some wanting them off the team, some wanting them suspended and others wanting to wait for all the facts. I want all of the facts to come out but am really ****ed about the distraction this creates for the team this week. No matter what the facts turn out to be these guys need to not make stupid decisions like this and what the hell are they doing out at 3:00 am?

Man, we do need "all the facts to come out."

Its like, we need the arresting officer's statement or somethin'

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/pdf/tarell_brown_affadavit.pdf

Link is to arresting officer's affidavit

Hey...we don't have to "wait for all the facts to come out" after all.

Someone posted the link to the arresting officer's affidavit...oh, wait...IT WAS YOU.

The facts are out....two current UT players (along w/ one former UT player) were driving around in the AM w/ illegal substances and an illegal loaded weapon.

FYIY: It's your second starter this year to be arrested for drugs/weapons charges.

However you wanna spin that...the Texas fanbase has no business criticizing the ethics of any other program in America....especially if these two suit up and play less than a week later.

Snrfn4ever08
9/5/2006, 12:17 AM
Water's wet!!!!!:eek:

BoonesFarmSooner
9/5/2006, 08:33 AM
Wait for the facts to come out????

Why, so some UT judge who gets FREE TICKETS to UT football games can tell us what the facts are????

This whole situation looks ugly on several fronts!

MRNOTDUCKS
9/5/2006, 08:48 AM
Shhhhh! Pretend you are asleep!

Louisiana Husker
9/5/2006, 12:28 PM
The blunts are tight, and it's time to light,

deep in the heart of Texas,

The smoke is fine and we're getting high,

deep in the heart of Texas.

The weed in bloom is like perfume,

Lonestar weed, we smoke indeed,

The sirens wail, they're on our trail,

The Sips try to rush, and keep this on the hush,

deep in the heart of Texas

The Longhorns cry, "Oh why, oh why, oh why,"

And Mack Brown bawls, and bawls and bawls,

Ash
9/5/2006, 01:00 PM
The blunts are tight, and it's time to light,

The smoke is fine and we're getting high,

The weed in bloom is like perfume,

Lonestar weed, we smoke indeed,

The sirens wail, they're on our trail,

The Sips try to rush, and keep this on the hush,

deep in the heart of Texas

The Longhorns cry, "Oh why, oh why, oh why,"

And Mack Brown bawls, and bawls and bawls,

pure gold!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

ps I'd give ya spek but doesn't look like you need my help in that dept.

colleyvillesooner
9/5/2006, 06:58 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2574915

VirginiaOkie
9/5/2006, 07:30 PM
if this makes you happy, then i'd consider taking a good, long look at yourself and where you're going in life...

It does not make me happy they made the mistakes they made. THEY chose the path they are on. I'm just glad the path is paved in puke orange.....

OUstudent4life
9/5/2006, 08:55 PM
...props to Mack for doing the tough/probably correct thing.

Not much of a choice in the matter, but it still was probably tough.

picasso
9/5/2006, 09:24 PM
I still think Selvin Young should have done time for flippin the solo digit at our beloved football team a few years ago.
What kind of young men are they producing at the University of maTexas?

The VIIIth
9/6/2006, 12:08 AM
Man, I don't know how many times I've been rollin' at 3 am, passed out in the back seat with my loaded 9mm while my friend who's stoned out of his gourd goes a-weavin' down the Interstate. And I never woke up until the cops had me in cuffs. *hardy har* :

Well, there was that one time in Panama City...

sooner94
9/6/2006, 01:04 AM
Good for Mack. He did the right thing in suspending those guys for tOSU. Didn't think he had it in him.

StoopTroup
9/6/2006, 01:58 AM
Good for Mack. He did the right thing in suspending those guys for tOSU. Didn't think he had it in him.
I was thinking about that clause I've seen in most School's Brochures where it says "NO GUNS ON CAMPUS".

Now given that he may not have had the gun on campus...we was a very high profile scholarship player.

I'm thinking it's probably best to do a suspension.

Mack may have had no choice.

47straight
9/6/2006, 08:23 AM
Mack sure did wait a while.

Oh wait, he had to first "find out all the facts" first :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The real problem of course is that 1 player had a gun. I mean, if UT gets the rep of being citizens exercising their 2nd amendment, pretty soon people associate UT with believing God and not hating america, and that sort of red state rep is just unacceptable.

colleyvillesooner
9/6/2006, 09:15 AM
Mack sure did wait a while.

Oh wait, he had to first "find out all the facts" first :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sure did wait a while??? :confused:

This happened when? 4:00 am Monday morning? And he made his announcement at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday. He probably didn't even find out until mid day Monday, took one day to do the correct thing, gather the facts, talk to the police, the players, the school, then acted.

Mack did the right thing. Just like Bob did. As much as we get on Mack for the yellow teeth and the clapping, he did the right thing.

stoopified
9/6/2006, 09:20 AM
Damn edidn't those cops get the bribe,uh...I mean word.

GDC
9/6/2006, 09:30 AM
Hmmm, sure not many whorns piping up in this thread.

GrapevineSooner
9/6/2006, 09:33 AM

This happened when? 4:00 am Monday morning? And he made his announcement at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday. He probably didn't even find out until mid day Monday, took one day to do the correct thing, gather the facts, talk to the police, the players, the school, then acted.

Mack did the right thing. Just like Bob did. As much as we get on Mack for the yellow teeth and the clapping, he did the right thing.

Yep.

picasso
9/6/2006, 09:49 AM

This happened when? 4:00 am Monday morning? And he made his announcement at 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday. He probably didn't even find out until mid day Monday, took one day to do the correct thing, gather the facts, talk to the police, talk to Phil Simms, blow dry and comb his hair, watch his old Duke's reruns, the players, the school, then acted.

Mack did the right thing. Just like Bob did. As much as we get on Mack for the yellow teeth and the clapping, and getting all the credit for getting the players his assistants also recruit, he did the right thing.

fixed

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 10:03 AM
Stoops kicked Bomar off the team. I won't stop complaining until Mack does the same with Brown. And since that's never going to happen, because Mack doesn't have any true integrity, and the family values of the The University of Texas are a complete sham, I guess I'll just keep complainin'.

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 10:08 AM
Hmmm, sure not many whorns piping up in this thread.

First... you bitch, whine, moan and complain about Texas posters on here.. then, you bellyache when there aren't posts. :rolleyes:

Second, as to the aggy on here.. Notducks... being an aggy, the only thing he knows less about than football, .. is fornicating.

Third, to those posters who believe that judges are influenced by receiving "game tickets," you obviously don't know the legal system and your "I Hate All Things Texas" card is being proudly displayed. United States district and appellate judges are NOT elected and serve a lifetime term. They are nominated and approved by the U.S. Senate. The state court judges serve 4 year terms and when up for re-election, receive thousands of dollars from attorneys and PACS. Game tickets are chump change.

As for the "facts" coming out, the arresting officer's affidavit is strangely silent on the issue of a "taser" being used...but apparently, this fact is coming to light as well. hmm.. now why wasn't THAT in the affidavit?

In addition, the results from the urine tests both current athletes took are not back yet. Those are expected on Thursday.

Mack could've waited for all of that to come to light, but he took immediate action... NOT because the two current athletes broke the law (that remains to be determined), but because the two athletes were stupid and put themselves in a position to compromise the team and university.

Hell, Mack could've done what Tressel did. "Nov. 16, 2003: At 3 a.m. after a win over Purdue and six days before the Michigan game, wide receiver Santonio Holmes and quarterback Troy Smith were charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct after a fight in a parking lot on campus. A window in a car is kicked out and one woman reported her jaw was broken. Holmes was held out of the starting lineup at Michigan but returned to play most of the game. Holmes also started in the Buckeyes' Fiesta Bowl game. He plead innocent to the disorderly conduct after the team returned to Columbus. The disorderly conduct charge was dismissed against Holmes on March 30, 2004. Smith was found guilty of the charge."

picasso
9/6/2006, 10:23 AM
this is a step forward for Mack good for him.
he probably knows the title game this season is a stretch anyway.

Kingwoodboomer
9/6/2006, 10:27 AM
First... you bitch, whine, moan and complain about Texas posters on here.. then, you bellyache when there aren't posts.

Is it me or does Texas produce Way Too Many Lidig8r's.

Kingwoodboomer
9/6/2006, 10:28 AM
First... you bitch, whine, moan and complain about Texas posters on here.. then, you bellyache when there aren't posts.

Is it me or does Texas produce Way Too Many Lidig8r's.

picasso
9/6/2006, 10:32 AM
are you asking us or yourself?

;)

GDC
9/6/2006, 10:32 AM
That control panel is tricky, isn't it?

Lid, no bellyaching here, merely pointing out the ironic lack of burnt-orange input on this topic, relative to most others on this board.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 10:40 AM
:mack: "Your honor, let me answer that for Tarell."

I love this wait for all the facts to come out stuff. Like :mack: is going to be the jury that decides whether he goes to jail or not. I think some people are confusing due process with a team rule of "don't be a f*****g idiot asleep in a car at 4:00 AM with a loaded gun on your lap and some marley.

Also I could imagine a cop pulling me over when I was say 17 and I had a 6-pack of unopened beer with me. I could have my attorney offer to give me a sobriety test to prove that the beer wasn't mine.

Maybe it wouldn't have always been the case at OU but I guarantee you that if this happened at OU the player would be gone, period. I'd love to hear the compelling arguments why riding around stoned (or maybe not) at 4:00 in the morning with a loaded gun merits getting a scholarship. I'm love to live in Texas and know at least some of my tax dollars could be paying for him.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 11:04 AM
Lid, if you want to get personal, we can definitely go that route. But right now I'm going to take the HIGH road like Tarrell Brown, Gatewood, and Harris. Hookem.

Kick those thugs off the team. Surely you aren't comparing a fist fight to a loaded gun and weed at 3 in the morning. One is a pretty typical college indiscretion. The other is a gangsta move. Mack is risking a Miami-type reputation if he doesn't kick those fools off.

And I know enough about football to know that you should be expecting quite a few INTs from McCoy this season if he doesn't stop forcing the ball into double and triple coverage. He got away with it against UNT...

47straight
9/6/2006, 11:13 AM
Lid Lid Lid... gotta call you out for 2 things.

United States district and appellate judges are NOT elected and serve a lifetime term. They are nominated and approved by the U.S. Senate.

Either elected or appointed dictator-for-life, the chance for a conflict of interest or influence is the same.

In addition, the results from the urine tests both current athletes took are not back yet. Those are expected on Thursday.

Lid, why are you drinking the Kool-Aid their 2-bit DUI lawyer is selling? The charge is POSSESSION. It don't matter if their urine tests negative for pot, heroin, or poppyseed muffins!

Mack could've waited for all of that to come to light, but he took immediate action... NOT because the two current athletes broke the law (that remains to be determined), but because the two athletes were stupid and put themselves in a position to compromise the team and university.

Sat and waited 36 hours with all the relevant facts. Such decisiveness.

In his defense, he did start Selvin Young over Jamaal Charles, and put into 'Roid Snead in 2nd quarter. It's just his nature, I guess, not to do the right thing immediately.

47straight
9/6/2006, 11:16 AM
took one day

24 hours.

1,224 minutes.

With it being the most pressing public issue the week before the game.

He had to pull the fence out of his *** first, I guess.

colleyvillesooner
9/6/2006, 11:29 AM
24 hours.

1,224 minutes.

With it being the most pressing public issue the week before the game.

He had to pull the fence out of his *** first, I guess.

Dude, take the crimson glasses off. Mack reacted in a timely fashion and correctly.

cjames317
9/6/2006, 11:30 AM
Why do we care?

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 11:49 AM
Lid Lid Lid... gotta call you out for 2 things.

Either elected or appointed dictator-for-life, the chance for a conflict of interest or influence is the same.

47.. if that was the case, every attorney who financially contributes to a judge's re-election campaign could not appear before that judge and the judge would have to recuse himself in each case. From a personal perspective, that means that I would not be able to try any cases in Dallas County.

Lid, why are you drinking the Kool-Aid their 2-bit DUI lawyer is selling? The charge is POSSESSION. It don't matter if their urine tests negative for pot, heroin, or poppyseed muffins!

Actually, they have not even been charged at this point. The two current athletes were not found with ANY pot on them. Harris admitted to having smoked pot and was found with pot on him. In all reasonable probability, the "blunt" found in the car was Harris' as well.. especially since even the arresting officer admits the two passengers were asleep when the car was pulled over. Further, the car was not registered to Brown... so, did he have custody and/or control over the car? If Brown did not use, and no pot was found on him, and the car in which the blunt was found was not his, and if another person in the car, admitted pot usage, the possession charge gets kicked.

Sat and waited 36 hours with all the relevant facts. Such decisiveness.

So, are you suggesting that Mack should just jump to conclusions right away and immediately suspend? Or, should he talk to the athletes first AND try to at least get some information (such as the arresting officer's report) before making a knee jerk reaction?

In his defense, he did start Selvin Young over Jamaal Charles, and put into 'Roid Snead in 2nd quarter. It's just his nature, I guess, not to do the right thing immediately.

Dude.. I know it's gotta be difficult in the heart of Longhorn Country... but still.

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 11:53 AM
Lid, if you want to get personal, we can definitely go that route. But right now I'm going to take the HIGH road like Tarrell Brown, Gatewood, and Harris. Hookem.

Kick those thugs off the team. Surely you aren't comparing a fist fight to a loaded gun and weed at 3 in the morning. One is a pretty typical college indiscretion. The other is a gangsta move. Mack is risking a Miami-type reputation if he doesn't kick those fools off.

And I know enough about football to know that you should be expecting quite a few INTs from McCoy this season if he doesn't stop forcing the ball into double and triple coverage. He got away with it against UNT...

Or the many aggsys arrested and/or charged with criminal offenses in the last few years in Colley Station? What was it... something like.. 11 in a one year time period? So, if you want to talk about "Gangsta U".. look no further than the aggsys rap sheet.

Why don't you set forth all the facts as you know, believe wish them to be regarding the situation which forms the basis for your belief they shoudl be kicked off the team?

boomrsoonr
9/6/2006, 11:57 AM
Lid,

So, a friend and I walk into a bank, and (unbeknownst to me) he decides to rob the bank. Now I don't think this is right, but it's my only ride home and decide to leave with him. Do you really think the police, judge, and/or jury is gonna give a crap or even believe it?

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 12:01 PM
My prediction is that they will be charged. Deloss Dodds and Mack HAVE to realize that continuosly undermining the work of the Austin PD will not result in good relations between the police department and the University -- specifically the athletic department. They don't want a situation on their hands where the police department is actively targeting athletes for indiscretions major and minor. Even good cops have a limit when they see that the work they are doing is in vain. That is the kind of environment you have at texas with Deloss Dodds able to pull strings to get all of these incidents swept under the rug. And it is what the fans of your program have come to expect.

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 12:03 PM
Lid,

So, a friend and I walk into a bank, and (unbeknownst to me) he decides to rob the bank. Now I don't think this is right, but it's my only ride home and decide to leave with him. Do you really think the police, judge, and/or jury is gonna give a crap or even believe it?

That's not really what happened here now is it?

Just because they are shorthorns doesn't mean that the Constitution doesn't still protect their rights as citizens.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 12:07 PM
Or the many aggsys arrested and/or charged with criminal offenses in the last few years in Colley Station? What was it... something like.. 11 in a one year time period? So, if you want to talk about "Gangsta U".. look no further than the aggsys rap sheet.

Why don't you set forth all the facts as you know, believe wish them to be regarding the situation which forms the basis for your belief they shoudl be kicked off the team?

I don't deny that -- however, Fran kicked 2 guys off our team completely which really contributed to the state of our defense the past few years. Coaches have to take some responsibility for the types of kids they bring into the program. I'm not sure if Erik Mayes was a Fran recruit or not. However, the athletes have to take responsibility for their own actions. The coach cannot babysit them at all times. And this is when the second part of a coach's responsibilty comes in to play -- if an athlete breaks rules, or in your case, laws, then a coach needs to discipline them.

Mayes was kicked off the team. Most Aggies agree that was the right decision even though it really hurt our team.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 12:14 PM
And as far as the sleeping defense and the "I picked the gun up off the floor board to take it inside" defense -- don't insult my intelligence.

I've heard better excuses from a methed-up mullet in a wife-beater on COPS.

It's pretty easy to pretend like you are sleeping. You just close your eyes.

boomrsoonr
9/6/2006, 12:23 PM
That's not really what happened here now is it?

Just because they are shorthorns doesn't mean that the Constitution doesn't still protect their rights as citizens.

What's the Constitution and their rights have to do with anything? We're talking real world issues here, not some Constitutional debate in law class.

And, I used a different scenerio to show a point to Lid that "intentions" don't mean squat in the real world. As an attorney, he should know that.

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 01:05 PM
My prediction is that they will be charged. Deloss Dodds and Mack HAVE to realize that continuosly undermining the work of the Austin PD will not result in good relations between the police department and the University -- specifically the athletic department.

How exactly are DeLoss Dodds and Mack doing this? Let's see some specifics and not your usual, general, unsubstantiated pablum.

They don't want a situation on their hands where the police department is actively targeting athletes for indiscretions major and minor. Even good cops have a limit when they see that the work they are doing is in vain. That is the kind of environment you have at texas with Deloss Dodds able to pull strings to get all of these incidents swept under the rug.

Again, let's see some specific, fact based examples of Dodds "pulling strings" to get all of "these" incidents swept under the rug. Let's see some facts, some links, newstories.. ANYTHING that shows Dodds and the UT athletic department exerted ANY influence.

And it is what the fans of your program have come to expect.

Again, besides your opinion, let's see some facts to back up your opinion. The overwhelming majority of responses of hornfans and orangebloods and the Longhorn EZboard site is that the players should have been suspended.

I know you aggsys hate for facts and reason to get in the way of your irrational envy, but, in the words of your last, great recruit...Tate Pittman, "Can you help me with this?" :D

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 01:08 PM
What's the Constitution and their rights have to do with anything? We're talking real world issues here, not some Constitutional debate in law class.

And, I used a different scenerio to show a point to Lid that "intentions" don't mean squat in the real world. As an attorney, he should know that.

I guess I'm still trying to figure out WTF you're talking about and how does it relate to the topic at hand.

56-39-5
9/6/2006, 01:48 PM
And as far as the sleeping defense and the "I picked the gun up off the floor board to take it inside" defense -- don't insult my intelligence.

I've heard better excuses from a methed-up mullet in a wife-beater on COPS.

It's pretty easy to pretend like you are sleeping. You just close your eyes.

i don't think he was faking. he got tasered, for being non-responsive. sounds like he was passed out drunk to me, but then, i'm speculating. either eay, nobody should be defending him whether he smoked or didn't. he shouldn't be out at 3am with weed, however small the amount may be, and a gun.
good call on the suspension. the player's poor judgment was punished.
both of our coaches have made very difficult, yet proper decisions here recently. i think in that respect, we can hold our heads high vis a vis the sec, pac-10, et al.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 01:51 PM
I guess Bomar's Constitutional rights were violated when Stoops kicked him off the team. I must have missed the trial by jury on that one.

Lesson: Don't smoke weed and get pulled over by the cops at 4:00 AM with a loaded gun on your jimmy. Even :mack: will suspend you for that. He won't kick you off the team because he lacks the stones, but he will suspend you.

Tear Down This Wall
9/6/2006, 01:53 PM
Marijuana? In Austin?

Okay, I've waited a few days to chime in, but here's my take:

Last spring I sat at lunch with a business friend who played baseball at UT in the 70s. He and another guy were talking about not making their grades and getting in trouble. My comment was, "They're too busy smoking dope and banging fat, white chicks to study, and weed's illegal. So, they can't win."

I don't know if Tarell Brown is banging fat, white chicks, but I do know that weed is illegal. Longhorn players sure do seem to have a taste for it, though. Whether they're smoking it or selling it, it always seems to be part of the story.

So, in honor of the dope smoking 'Horns, I propose the following new nickname for their head coach - Marijuana Mack. After all, for all the claims of running a clean, family-like program, there sure seems to be alot of illicit drug activity going on there.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 02:00 PM
Marijuana Mack. That's great.

Lid, your bowtie does not intimidate me.

47straight
9/6/2006, 02:25 PM
Dude.. I know it's gotta be difficult in the heart of Longhorn Country... but still.

Lid, you completed avoided the irrelevance of the **** test.

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 02:29 PM
I guess Bomar's Constitutional rights were violated when Stoops kicked him off the team. I must have missed the trial by jury on that one.

Jeebus, some of you people are dense.

boomrsoonr
9/6/2006, 02:49 PM
I guess I'm still trying to figure out WTF you're talking about and how does it relate to the topic at hand.

I was replying to some of the things Lid posted. Especially about how two of the guys may not be guilty since they were "just there".

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 02:52 PM
Jeebus, some of you people are dense.

I just think before we call in the ACLU that maybe we should consider that the players in question would be invited to "go forth and multiply" if they were coached by Stoops. I really care not whether the play or not until due process takes it course but I find all the Whorn apologists pretty lame.

I was a scholarship athlete in college and I can tell you the drug possesion would have been plenty enough to get me kicked off the team and that is before the loaded gun came into play. The coach wouldn't have waited for the trial date either.

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 02:58 PM
Marijuana Mack. That's great.

Lid, your bowtie does not intimidate me.

So.. don't want to supply the facts, or ANYTHING other than your opinion?

whoop.... Pass the Little Debbies.

boomrsoonr
9/6/2006, 03:03 PM
Since when is there "due process and constitutional rights" on a football team? Do they have to have a hearing before they can be punished for violating team rules?

It's a football team. Play by the rules, or go play with your pud.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 03:07 PM
[QUOTE=boomrsoonr]Since when is there "due process and constitutional rights" on a football team? Do they have to have a hearing before they can be punished for violating team rules?QUOTE]

There isn't any. At least until about an hour ago.

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 03:22 PM
when RHCF implied that there were.

I was talking about the legal matter. I couldn't care less about whether they remain on the team or not.

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 03:31 PM
Lid, you completed avoided the irrelevance of the **** test.

The relevance of the test, oh.. and reports out of Austin from this afternoon indicates that Brown's tests came back clean, is that it establishes a prima facie case of possession and usage.

Charges have not yet been pressed.

The DA is now faced with one witness, who admitted ownership, possession and usage of the pot, that pot was found on his person as well as the arresting officer's testimony that his driving was consistent with a person under the influence.

The DA is also faced with two persons at the scene who tested negatively, who, the arresting officer in his initial affidavit noted were asleep at the time of the initial stop. If said persons had tested positive for usage, their presumed statements of not mine and no knowledge would have been far less credible.

Having said all that, again, I believe Mack did the right thing in suspending both players for being idoits. However, I wouldn't go overboard and fire Mack and get rid of every athlete on the team and criminally indict Dodds for obstruction of justice as the aggsy on here would have. :rolleyes:

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 03:43 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/soso33/brown.jpg

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/6/2006, 03:56 PM
when RHCF implied that there were.

I was talking about the legal matter. I couldn't care less about whether they remain on the team or not.

Just so I'm 100% clear. A person does not have any constitional right to play division I football. (NAIA for that matter). I think the sarcasm detector needs batteries because it didn't catch the Bomar comment.

People seem to be paying a lot of attention to the drug angle of this story and not so much to the fact that Harris was wearing a Smith & Wesson codpiece. :mack: really has no choice but to suspend Harris this game because otherwise the media would have been all over him. What happens after this week if say only misdemeanor charges are brought against Harris will show if Mack has a sac.

1stTimeCaller
9/6/2006, 04:00 PM
I agree wif ya. If by Harris you mean Brown then I agree with you 100%.

and you get extra points for working 'codpiece' into your post ;)

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 04:02 PM
Hell Ducks.. now THAT is funny.

Although.. recognize that crystal football? :D

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 04:04 PM
Harris no longer has eligibility and wasn't desired in the NFL. I think you are talking about Brown.

OK, here it is Lid. After giving your posts some careful thought, I'll back off my rant on Mack. If Brown is charged and found guilty, then I do believe he should be suspended. If not, then Mack's suspension seems fair. I think it should have been for more games, though. I do firmly believe, that Bob Stoops' action with Bomar pretty much forced Mack's hand here. If this incident had occurred in a vaccuum, I doubt Mack makes the same decision. He proved that leading up to the championship with Taylor...

colleyvillesooner
9/6/2006, 04:11 PM
Harris no longer has eligibility and wasn't desired in the NFL. I think you are talking about Brown.

OK, here it is Lid. After giving your posts some careful thought, I'll back off my rant on Mack. If Brown is charged and found guilty, then I do believe he should be suspended. If not, then Mack's suspension seems fair. I think it should have been for more games, though. I do firmly believe, that Bob Stoops' action with Bomar pretty much forced Mack's hand here. If this incident had occurred in a vaccuum, I doubt Mack makes the same decision. He proved that leading up to the championship with Taylor...

He hasn't said yet if it is only for this game. I think he is sitting them for this game, hoping it's all figured out by the time the next game rolls around.

TexasLidig8r
9/6/2006, 04:57 PM

Ducks.. I will go you one better.. if Brown is charged and found guilty, he should be kicked off the team.

And... Brown has a history of kicking off athletes. On the eve of the Cotton Bowl in 99, he kicked off an All Big XII defensive end, Aaron Humphreys, Kwame Cavill, All Big XII wide receiver and another player for then unknown reasons. Cavill, who could have come back for his senior year, apparently was told he would not be allowed back on the team. Only later did it come to light that drugs were apparently involved.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/6/2006, 05:00 PM
Ducks.. I will go you one better.. if Brown is charged and found guilty, he should be kicked off the team.

That's what I meant to type...

1991SOONER
9/6/2006, 09:14 PM
So did the whorns pass the drug test?

I heard a whorn on another forum say yes.

One word: SHADY

Ash
9/6/2006, 09:19 PM
So did the whorns pass the drug test?

I heard a whorn on another forum say yes.

One word: SHADY

I've heard that the test was for amphetamines???? but here's a link to an actual story:

http://keyetv.com/local/local_story_249173942.html

Attorney Says Tarell Brown Passed Drug Test
CBS 42's Rebecca Taylor Reporting
(CBS 42) AUSTIN The attorney for Longhorn football cornerback Tarell Brown says his client passed a drug test.

Brown and safety Tyrell Gatewood were arrested early Monday morning and charged with possession of marijuana. Brown was also charge with unlawfully carrying a weapon.

The two say the marijuana police found in their car did not belong to them.

Results from Gatewood's test are still pending.

The players were arrested in Austin, and their attorney took a break from an unrelated trial in Georgetown Wednesday afternoon to tell his clients' side of the story.

If convicted on the drug charges, the players could face six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Brown could face up to a year behind bars if convicted on the weapons charge.

The Travis County Sheriff's Office addressed allegations that they used a Taser twice on the suspects during a press conference Wednesday. They said officers use their Tasers when in a life threatening situation and said coming upon suspects with a weapon is considered life threatening. The sheriff's office said Brown and Gatewood may also face charges of resisting arrest.

daddywarbucks
9/6/2006, 09:24 PM
Anyone find it ironic they keep calling him "lid"?

Dio
9/6/2006, 09:25 PM
both of our coaches have made very difficult, yet proper decisions here recently. i think in that respect, we can hold our heads high vis a vis the sec, pac-10, et al.

why do I get the feeling this whorn's feelings re: Stoops' handling of The Idiot have changed in the last 48 hours or so?

1991SOONER
9/6/2006, 09:30 PM
I've heard that the test was for amphetamines???? but here's a link to an actual story:

http://keyetv.com/local/local_story_249173942.html

Well....that explains it. It only takes about 24-48 hours for amphetamines to get out of your system. No wonder they passed.

Ash
9/6/2006, 09:36 PM
Well....that explains it. It only takes about 24-48 hours for amphetamines to get out of your system. No wonder they passed.

No joke.

I don't know that it's a fact, it was one of those: "Hey, did ya hear that the whorn passed the **** test?....yeah, I read it in the paper..." conversations you have with the guys at work so take with many grains of salt.

So if others have links to better stories, they would be much appreciated.

But, if true I also found it odd that considering that smoking dope was the charge, who gives a flip if the test was negative for amphetamines? :confused:

usmc-sooner
9/6/2006, 09:37 PM
The relevance of the test, oh.. and reports out of Austin from this afternoon indicates that Brown's tests came back clean, is that it establishes a prima facie case of possession and usage.

Charges have not yet been pressed.

The DA is now faced with one witness, who admitted ownership, possession and usage of the pot, that pot was found on his person as well as the arresting officer's testimony that his driving was consistent with a person under the influence.

The DA is also faced with two persons at the scene who tested negatively, who, the arresting officer in his initial affidavit noted were asleep at the time of the initial stop. If said persons had tested positive for usage, their presumed statements of not mine and no knowledge would have been far less credible.

Having said all that, again, I believe Mack did the right thing in suspending both players for being idoits. However, I wouldn't go overboard and fire Mack and get rid of every athlete on the team and criminally indict Dodds for obstruction of justice as the aggsy on here would have. :rolleyes:

well if it was a one time thing I'd say yeah, but you guys have long glorified history of the ganja.

I say keep em on the team

horninokc
9/7/2006, 02:08 AM
Stoops kicked Bomar off the team. I won't stop complaining until Mack does the same with Brown. And since that's never going to happen, because Mack doesn't have any true integrity, and the family values of the The University of Texas are a complete sham, I guess I'll just keep complainin'.
Stoops kicked Bomar and Quinn off the team because the NCAA would have come down hard on the program if he didn't. Plus, as Stoops said on the Big 12 teleconference, you didn't exactly lose Jason White when you lost Bomar. Stoops did what he had to do to try to protect the program, as he should.

In similar circumstances, Mack would do the same thing. This is different. Tarrell Brown deserves sitting out just for the sheer studpidity of it all, even if it turns out he did not violate the law. (his drug test came back negative, btw) The team will do just fine without him and if he is allowed to come back I would not want to be him having to face Chizik. Chizik will have his own pound of flesh from Tarrell.

I believe if Stoops had a player who was cleared of charges but behaved stupidly and embarrassed the program that he would also impose a suspension and some severe "private" punishment.

horninokc
9/7/2006, 02:22 AM
Just so I'm 100% clear. A person does not have any constitional right to play division I football. (NAIA for that matter). I think the sarcasm detector needs batteries because it didn't catch the Bomar comment.

People seem to be paying a lot of attention to the drug angle of this story and not so much to the fact that Harris was wearing a Smith & Wesson codpiece. :mack: really has no choice but to suspend Harris this game because otherwise the media would have been all over him. What happens after this week if say only misdemeanor charges are brought against Harris will show if Mack has a sac.

Harris doesn't play anymore. He is a FORMER player.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
9/7/2006, 08:49 AM
Harris doesn't play anymore. He is a FORMER player.

Yes, correction. suspend Brown. Or better yet, ground him from his drugs and ammo for a month.

trwxxa
9/8/2006, 07:27 PM
One down, one to go.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4173469.html

47straight
9/8/2006, 11:49 PM
There's still the problem of their eligibility for accepting legal services in exchange for a lousy buck.

MRNOTDUCKS
9/9/2006, 12:23 AM
Are we sure Brown and Gatewood don't own a Whizinator® ?

;-)

47straight
9/9/2006, 01:35 PM
Stupid ABC preview guys said, "I admire the way coach Brown handled it. He didn't wait around for a day or to see if they could come up with some excuse..."

NO. That's EXACTLY what he did.

Looks like the national media is drinking the Mack Kool-Aid as much as they drank the Darrell KKK Royal Kool-Aid. Can do no wrong.

I'm going to go put on my OU hat. My OU shirt. My OU hoodie. Head down to the HEB to buy my brauts for the game. And the first Bonghorn who looks at me twice is gonna get my foot in their ***.