PDA

View Full Version : "Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin Dead

PhilTLL
9/4/2006, 12:02 AM
Crikey! (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060904/ap_on_en_tv/obit_irwin)

BRISBANE, Australia - Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed Monday by a stingray barb during a diving expedition, Australian media reported. He was 44.

The accident happened while Irwin was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in northeastern Queensland state, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its Web site.

Unfortunate but truly a case of "He died doing what he loved." RIP Steve.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 12:03 AM
Holy crap!

Naughty little stingray!

yermom
9/4/2006, 12:03 AM
i could see a croc, but a stingray? i thought they were basically harmless...

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2006, 12:04 AM
That'll teach him to stick his thumb up his bunghole...

OK, that was tasteless.

yermom
9/4/2006, 12:06 AM
from Wikipedia...

Contact with the stinger causes local trauma (from the cut itself), pain and swelling from the venom, and possible infection from parts of the stinger left in the wound, as well as from seawater entering the wound. It is possible for ray stings to be fatal if they sever major arteries, are in the chest or pelvic region, or are improperly treated. Their stingers are normally ineffective against their main predator, sharks.

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 12:06 AM
poisonous

PrideTrombone
9/4/2006, 12:07 AM
Crikey!

Someone was going to do it.

Seriously, though, at least he went out doin' his thing.

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 12:07 AM
yep

olevetonahill
9/4/2006, 12:08 AM
Dayum . He took so many chances !
A sting ray is deadly , Not to be taking litely !

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 12:08 AM
Looks like bri went to bed too early.

skycat
9/4/2006, 12:10 AM
Who gets stingrayed in the pelvic region?

That's what I want to know.

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 12:17 AM
Who gets stingrayed in the pelvic region?

That's what I want to know.

um....
A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its Web site.

rebmus
9/4/2006, 12:20 AM
WOW... that sucks.

he was annoying but very entertaining.

yermom
wow

that is nuts, i'm still amazed by this, it doesn't seem real

proud gonzo
I didn't think he was annoying. I thought he was awesome.

rebmus
9/4/2006, 12:24 AM
I didn't think he was annoying. I thought he was awesome.
too many "crikeys" for me i guess.

i mean no disrept for the man. he made a great living doing what he loved.

josh09
9/4/2006, 12:28 AM
aw man that sucks, he seemed like a pretty nice guy. didnt he have a kid?

leavingthezoo
9/4/2006, 12:31 AM
i think he had two. a daughter for certain though.

Scotty
9/4/2006, 12:32 AM
Don't know about that but I'm pretty sure his wife was the one that did the show with him...wonder what she's gonna do now??

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 12:32 AM
I just saw this on CNN...

Man...that's not exactly the way I thought he'd go out.

If any of you ever saw him trying to save a croc from an urban setting...well...I would have thought that would have been more likely.

I feel for his Wife Terri...they had young kids...

Thanks for the documentaries Stevo...

God Bless the Family...

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 12:35 AM
Bindi Sue and Robert--their kids

LoyalFan
9/4/2006, 12:45 AM
I think many of us, self included, thought a snake or croc would kill him, or maybe an air crash in the bush. Certainly never imagined this.

He was a super guy and will be missed by many, myself included.

RIP, Steve. Crikey, you gave us much.

LF

skycat
9/4/2006, 12:54 AM
um....

I was refering to yermom's wiki article.

All I know now is that the Crocodile Hunter isn't one of them.

PhxSooner
9/4/2006, 12:55 AM
Ah, nuts. My kids loved his shows. And chalk me up as someone who also thought a croc or snake would get him first. How awful for his family.:(

KaiserSooner
9/4/2006, 01:06 AM
Yikes, a sting to the heart.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 01:07 AM
http://www.hinterland.com.au/parts/image/SteveIrwinCroc.jpg

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2006, 01:12 AM
i was always amazed at how fearless he seemed to be ......sad loss, there arent many people like him in the world

Blue
9/4/2006, 02:00 AM
Weak. You swim with stingrays on Booze Cruises. You don't get stung by them.

Damn. RIP Crocodile Hunter.

1stTimeCaller
9/4/2006, 05:55 AM
So the guy in Alaska that was eaten by a bear was a dummy and this guy wasn't? Live by the sword...

yermom
9/4/2006, 06:06 AM
Grizzly Man was on another level

he was ****ing nuts, Steve Irwin was more like Jackass crazy

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 06:57 AM
Steve Irwin was awesome. I'm stunned!

:( :( :(

BudSooner
9/4/2006, 07:32 AM
RIP Steve.

85Sooner
9/4/2006, 07:42 AM
This is terrible. HE educated alot of folks. God Bless his family.

Rogue
9/4/2006, 07:48 AM
So long Croc Hunter, we hardly got to know ye.

whatsername
9/4/2006, 08:01 AM
This news is just sad. I feel for his family. :(

fadada1
9/4/2006, 08:18 AM
big time bummer.

if we could all show his enthusiasm for work, it'd be a much better world to live in. guy loved what he did, no question. if he had to go, i'm glad it was doing what he wanted.

thoughts are definitely with his family.

GrapevineSooner
9/4/2006, 08:22 AM
Is it bad that the first thing that came to mind is the FedEx commercial that he did a few years ago where supposedly the most venomous snake in the world bites him, he reassures the viewers that the anti-venom's been sent be FedEx, then gets word that they've used a different courier, and shortly thereafter, dies?

Anyway, good on ya, mate. You went out doing what you love.

9/4/2006, 08:26 AM
The radio report said it was "almost instantanious cardiac failure." They are still unsure if it was the venom or that the barb pierced his heart. Either way, it doesn't sound like a terrible way to go.

I'll add it to my short list of choice ways to depart this life.

My daughter will be bummed about this news.

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 08:29 AM
This is worse than when Lambchop took out Shari Lewis.

Hublah
9/4/2006, 08:49 AM
I feel bad for his wife and kid...

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2006, 08:55 AM
So the guy in Alaska that was eaten by a bear was a dummy and this guy wasn't? Live by the sword...

I think Steve Irwin is considered a professional, just based on his background and education - he had the credentials where nutty bear food guy didnt

OklahomaTuba
9/4/2006, 09:50 AM
Thats horrible. They are still showing his show on Animal Planet.

GDC
9/4/2006, 09:53 AM
We were petting stingrays at the aquarium in Jenks the other day.

Okla-homey
9/4/2006, 09:54 AM
Sad indeed. Everybody loved Steve. The guy displayed true passion for his vocation in a world which works pretty hard to suck that out of man.

GDC
9/4/2006, 09:58 AM
I wonder how, and how soon, Jeff Corwin bites it.

Ike
9/4/2006, 10:22 AM
RIP Steve.

Thanks to him for all he did. It was a pleasure watching his shows.

bri
9/4/2006, 10:47 AM
You know, as others have already mentioned, there's an inevitablility to this news that makes it not really all that surprising. And I'm not even really all that surprised that it was by a "potentially dangerous but mostly harmless" animal that did it. After all, he managed to p*ss off a wobbegong (carpet shark) so badly that it actually turned around and bit him. Wobbegongs are, like, the most docile sharks on the planet; even Steve was amazed it bit him.

Having said that, it is a tremendous loss. He may have been goofy and off-putting with the short shorts, but he did display a tremendous passion for nature and truly cared about the animals he was helping.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/4/2006, 11:22 AM
big time bummer.

if we could all show his enthusiasm for work, it'd be a much better world to live in. guy loved what he did, no question. if he had to go, i'm glad it was doing what he wanted.

thoughts are definitely with his family." " " " " " " etc.

Okla-homey
9/4/2006, 11:48 AM
May he be croc-rasslin' in Heaven an hour before the devil knows he's dead.

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2006, 11:52 AM

Pretty much. Irwin recognized that the animals he was handling were dangerous. While he was doing some dangerous things with them, he was pretty good about taking reasonable precautions and warning his audience that these animals are dangerous and should be treated as such.

Timothy Treadwell was convinced that Kodiak Bears were absolutley docile and friendly and encouraged people to sing to them. He had no zoological training whatsoever.

VeeJay
9/4/2006, 11:53 AM
This is a tragedy.

Yet, his stunt with the infant son a couple of years ago, in the crocodile pen, could be considered over-the-top bravado.

Maybe his days were numbered.

Sniffling, I may go to Hooters this afternoon and drink a Foster's (or three) in his honor.

Sooner_Bob
9/4/2006, 11:55 AM
Whoa . . . I slept in and then started watching Air Force One and just found out about this.

A sad day for anyone who enjoys watching wildlife-type shows.

RIP Steve.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 12:11 PM
I wonder how, and how soon, Jeff Corwin bites it.

Pfff. Jeff Corwin's too big a nancy-boy to get near stuff that dangerous. ;)

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 12:12 PM
This is a tragedy.

Yet, his stunt with the infant son a couple of years ago, in the crocodile pen, could be considered over-the-top bravado.

Maybe his days were numbered.

Sniffling, I may go to Hooters this afternoon and drink a Foster's (or three) in his honor.

I don't think that was bravado, I think that he's raising his kids the way he was raised. I mean, most people would think that was insane, but I'm sure for that one time his kid was that close to a croc when everyone saw it, he was that close to animals a thousand times when people weren't watching. The kids are probably animal nuts like their dad.

And he may have died of a freakish animal accident but he DIDN'T get eaten by a croc.

jrsooner
9/4/2006, 12:23 PM
Don't know about that but I'm pretty sure his wife was the one that did the show with him...wonder what she's gonna do now??Probably run the Australian zoo. Wasn't he an owner of the zoo he was at?

Okla-homey
9/4/2006, 12:28 PM
Probably run the Australian zoo. Wasn't he an owner of the zoo he was at?

I believe she's an American isn't she?

bri
9/4/2006, 12:29 PM
Yeppers.

crawfish
9/4/2006, 12:57 PM
That's sad. I've always used a pretty passable Steve Irwin impression to crack up my kids.

RIP Croc Hunter!

garland sooner
9/4/2006, 01:03 PM
There are already thousands of facebook groups attributed to Steve Irwin.

Some of the funny ones:
"Stingrays are the Hitlers of the Sea."
"Remember Steve Irwin, Kill a stingray."
"R.I.P. Steve Irwin, You Will be Wrestling Crocodiles in Heaven"
"Stingrays are the terrorists of the 21st century"

It's amazing seeing so many groups memorializing him.

Scott D
9/4/2006, 01:09 PM
Probably run the Australian zoo. Wasn't he an owner of the zoo he was at?

yep, news showed hundreds of people leaving flowers at the entrance area to the zoo.

homerSimpsonsBrain
9/4/2006, 01:17 PM
The radio report said it was "almost instantanious cardiac failure." They are still unsure if it was the venom or that the barb pierced his heart. Either way, it doesn't sound like a terrible way to go.

I'll add it to my short list of choice ways to depart this life.

My daughter will be bummed about this news.

I'd rather die in my sleep like grandpa.

Not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car...

Somebody had to say it :D

royalfan5
9/4/2006, 03:40 PM
I just saw a quote that really summed this up for me. "Steve Irwin dying from a fluke encounter with a relatively harmless sting-ray is like Evel Knievel dying by slipping in his shower"

PhilTLL
9/4/2006, 03:53 PM
Today Show replayed his interview with Matt Lauer from 01/2004 right after the whole "OMG teh kid in danger ohs no!!" thing, and he was so passionate/shooting straight about what he did, his kids, and telling everyone else to butt out. Australians have a tendency towards refreshing honesty in public that we could learn from, heh. It was terrific and quite sad to watch him close the interview with his daughter sitting on his lap.

Newbomb Turk
9/4/2006, 04:02 PM
It was terrific and quite sad to watch him close the interview with his daughter sitting on his lap.

I remember a show on the travel channel a while back where he was in a motorhome traveling through parts of the US. He had his wife and kids with him. That's what is sad about this whole thing...not that I'll miss the guy, but thinking about his wife and two young children.

OU Adonis
9/4/2006, 05:57 PM
The stingray was hidden If I read the article correctly. He never even saw it.

9/4/2006, 06:00 PM
Man, Animal Planet is good to watch now if you liked this cat.

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 06:02 PM
The stingray was hidden If I read the article correctly. He never even saw it.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.
not sure where you get that he was ambushed by it.

bri
9/4/2006, 06:13 PM
Stingrays sit on the ocean floor and cover themselves with sand. That's how most people get stung by them; walking along and stepping on one. Usually, the ray will whip their tail up and hit the person in the leg.

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 06:24 PM
Stingrays sit on the ocean floor and cover themselves with sand. That's how most people get stung by them; walking along and stepping on one. Usually, the ray will whip their tail up and hit the person in the leg.
I understand how that happens.

I see nothing in the article that indicates that was what happened.

bri
9/4/2006, 06:41 PM
"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart,"

Pretty classic stingray behavior. They were most likely in the shallows, because Steve rarely wore scuba gear, just strapped on a mask and snorkel and dove in wearing his usual outfit. He would have caused a lot of motion and disturbance, causing the stingray to engage in defensive behavior, i.e. flicking upward with it's stinger and swimming off.

I assume, anyway.

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 06:51 PM
yeah.........I'm familiar.

I was avoiding assuming. Feel free to assume yourself.

C&CDean
9/4/2006, 06:54 PM
Guess this means I can't hold chunks of squid behind momma's head anymore in the Caymans.

I've got some pics somewhere of a couple southern rays (about 6-foot wingspans) completely engulfing her. I held a chunk of squid just behind her head, drew them in, and then watched the fun. She completely disappeared under the rays. And if my prick of a brother hadn't busted me, she never would have known I baited her.

I got my comeuppance though when in an attempt to avoid a snapper, I didn't notice a ray coming in on my squid - who then sucked my knuckles up into his mouth and pretty much removed the hide off the knuckles and left a big ol' flap of flopping skin/blood in the water.

Good times..........

But seriously, who in the hell gets stung in the ****ing heart by a ray? Judas H. Priest in khakis and boots.

Partial Qualifier
9/4/2006, 07:04 PM

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/04/australia.irwin/index.html

"He came over the top of a stingray that was buried in the sand, and the barb came up and hit him in the chest," Stainton said.

Wildlife documentary maker Ben Cropp, citing a colleague who saw footage of the attack, told Time.com that Irwin had accidentally boxed the animal in. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest," said Cropp. "It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger."

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 07:09 PM
There we go.

The original story didn't give the same information, and with his history, I wasn't willing to assume it had nothing to do with him intentionally agitating the ray.

bri
9/4/2006, 07:10 PM
Which raises an interesting question: Do stingrays HAVE bungholes?

Jerk
9/4/2006, 07:10 PM
This is pretty sad. But at least he lived and died doing what he loved.

BudSooner
9/4/2006, 07:33 PM
Which raises an interesting question: Do stingrays HAVE bungholes?
Isn't that covered in a future episode of Dirty Jobs?:pop:

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 08:35 PM
There we go.

The original story didn't give the same information, and with his history, I wasn't willing to assume it had nothing to do with him intentionally agitating the ray.

funny, with only knowledge of typical stingray behavior and without the information from that last story, I wasn't willing to assume it DID have anything to do with him intentionally agitating the ray.

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 08:36 PM
funny, with only knowledge of typical stingray behavior and without the information from that last story, I wasn't willing to assume it DID have anything to do with him intentionally agitating the ray.
I guess I've watched his behaviour with various species enough to know he generally deserves their aggression.

leavingthezoo
9/4/2006, 08:42 PM

yes but... some assumptions are ok. and some are not. direct your attention to SAS and he will inform you at the appropriate time which assumption you may assume and which one you may not assume. easy peasy. or, at least i'm assuming this is how it works. :D

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 08:46 PM

:les:TAKE THAT ZOO ESCAPER!!!

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 09:07 PM
I guess I've watched his behaviour with various species enough to know he generally deserves their aggression.

do you have much experience working with those sort of animals?

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 09:14 PM
do you have much experience working with those sort of animals?
Yes.

I have a whole heard of Steve Irwins that like to irritate the crap out of any animal in sight.

Norm In Norman
9/4/2006, 09:20 PM
Yeah, it's too bad this happened, but you knew something had to happen eventually to kill that guy. I always liked the guy though. So does the boy.

I'd bet Jeff Corwin is next.

SoonerSid
9/4/2006, 09:24 PM
http://img456.imageshack.us/img456/2844/steveirwinue0.jpg
not my picture, just found it on the web.. what a shocker..

proud gonzo
9/4/2006, 09:25 PM
Yes.

I have a whole heard of Steve Irwins that like to irritate the crap out of any animal in sight.
I think unless you've ever worked with animals like Irwin did, you don't have much place to say he irritates the crap out of them. Of course that's just my opinion. And what do I know? I've only been volunteering at a zoo for six years. :rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 09:26 PM
I think unless you've ever worked with animals like Irwin did, you don't have much place to say he irritates the crap out of them. Of course that's just my opinion. And what do I know? I've only been volunteering at a zoo for six years. :rolleyes:
I recognize that he really tried to not irritate most of the time. Sometimes he did appear to push the envelope for good footage purposes.

Congrats on the zoo gig.

critical_phil
9/4/2006, 09:28 PM
I'd bet Jeff Corwin is next.

i took gerald ford, minus the points.

sooneron
9/4/2006, 09:44 PM
Good on ya mate! RIP. I feel for his family.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 09:50 PM
Animal Planet had a Crocodile Hunter show on tonight.

It was the one where Terri and Steve talk about their Wedding and their Honeymoon.

They were great together.

I'm sure she'll miss him dearly.

Very Sad.

Jerk
9/4/2006, 10:14 PM
Someone on another non-sports related board said that the FOXsports radio guys had a debate about a week ago as to who would die first:

Steve Erwin or
Dog the Bounty Hunter.

How odd is that?

sanantoniosooner
9/4/2006, 10:17 PM
odd, and interesting.

C&CDean
9/5/2006, 07:55 AM
Dog is gonna die from lung cancer before one of the crims he picks up pops him with a cheap .22.

sanantoniosooner
9/5/2006, 07:58 AM
Dog is gonna die from lung cancer before one of the crims he picks up pops him with a cheap .22.
That......or he'll get caught with shratnel when his wifes chest gets overinflated.

bri
9/5/2006, 08:28 AM
Dog has a +2 Mullet Of Invulnerability.

sanantoniosooner
9/5/2006, 08:29 AM
Yeah, but she's +4 on the boob of doom scale.

9/5/2006, 08:31 AM
I think the wrinkles on his forehead will eventually devour his body.

bri
9/5/2006, 08:34 AM
Yeah, but she's +4 on the boob of doom scale.

Well then ROLL FOR INITIATIVE, bitch!

GDC
9/5/2006, 01:18 PM
Now they're reporting it was all on tape, I wonder how you find a copy?

bri
9/5/2006, 02:32 PM
I'm sure Animal Planet will hang on to it until sweeps, then make it the cornerstone of Stingray Week.

proud gonzo
9/5/2006, 06:18 PM

well yeah, they were there filming a documentary. Irwin was always specific that his crew should keep filming no matter what happened.

jk the sooner fan
9/5/2006, 06:46 PM
i wonder when/if the tape ends up on youtube

the report i read said that the cameraman didnt see the barb go up, just saw Irwin pulling it out of his chest.....and then all the blood, and then the camera was turned off

i bet he pulled that out of his chest as calmly as can be...

Scott D
9/5/2006, 06:48 PM

suppossedly there is a provision in his will that if he died in a manner as he did, that the footage should be televised. I reckon that'll be up to his wife though, will reading is tomorrow I heard.

Okla-homey
9/5/2006, 09:08 PM
We may never see it. Like that Tim Treadwell grizzly audio the day he got eaten. By all accounts, you can hear the bear going munchity-munchity while the Tim the bear's "protector" moans in complete agony. Treadwell's ex has it and she claims she'll never release it.

Frankly, some things are better left to the imagination IMHO

C&CDean
9/5/2006, 09:14 PM
"Crikey, the beautiful bitch just stabbed me in me bleedin' heart......"

sanantoniosooner
9/5/2006, 09:15 PM
The footage is likely to be quite boring.

Now if a gator had got him...........

Scott D
9/5/2006, 09:24 PM
We may never see it. Like that Tim Treadwell grizzly audio the day he got eaten. By all accounts, you can hear the bear going munchity-munchity while the Tim the bear's "protector" moans in complete agony. Treadwell's ex has it and she claims she'll never release it.

Frankly, some things are better left to the imagination IMHO

That may be, however if it's part of his last will and testament then his wife may not have that option.

The film footage of the late Australian adventurer Steve Irwin being killed by the poisonous barb of a stingray will be broadcast on TV.

He was filming in Queensland when the bull stingray attacked Irwin by shooting its bard through his heart; Irwin was dead before the helicopter carrying paramedics arrived.

Irwin had always asked his film crew to carry on filming if he was being attacked and there are plans to show the last minutes of Irwin’s life on TV with the consent of his family.

The Crocodile Hunter once said: “My number one rule is to keep that camera rolling. Even if it’s shaky or slightly out of focus, I don’t give a rip!

“Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go ‘Crikey!’ just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me.”

The footage is currently in the hands of the Queensland police and it is as yet unknown when the footage that was being shot for a children’s programme will be shown.

Irwin’s producer John Stainton describes the footage, according to Digital Spy Stainton said: "I did see the footage and it's shocking,"

"It's a very hard thing to watch because you're watching somebody die and it's terrible."

"It shows that Steve came over the top of the ray and the tail came up, and spiked him here [in the chest], and he pulled it out and the next minute he's gone,"

"That was it. The cameraman had to shut down."

His wife Terri, daughter Bindi and son Bob were all enjoying a walking holiday on Tasmania when the tragedy occurred; they flew back to Queensland last night.

Hundreds of people have been laying flowers in tribute at the Australia Zoo that Irwin’s father founded; it is thought that the Australian icon will receive a state funeral from the Queensland government.

bri
9/6/2006, 02:16 PM
That may be, however if it's part of his last will and testament then his wife may not have that option.

Where did you get that snippet from? Linky?

Scott D
9/6/2006, 02:23 PM
Where did you get that snippet from? Linky?

first I heard of it was on the radio yesterday morning on my way back to the office after my second store. so I googled 'Steve Irwin will' and came across that. About half the news articles now say that he said that in 2002, but nothing really to confirm the will stuff that I've seen.

bri
9/6/2006, 02:23 PM
Ah. Much thanks.

BeetDigger
9/6/2006, 02:53 PM
“Even if a big old alligator is chewing me up I want to go down and go ‘Crikey!’ just before I die. That would be the ultimate for me.”

Odd statement for a father to make.

soonerbrat
9/6/2006, 02:58 PM
Odd statement for a father to make.

he was an odd man...
but likeable

BeetDigger
9/6/2006, 03:18 PM
he was an odd man...
but likeable

Yeah.

I'd be like "Hey, wanna come over this Friday and spend the night? I can show you the video of my dad getting eaten by an big ole crocodile. It was awsome."