PDA

View Full Version : "Scary" Stanback and the Huskies

Ash
9/3/2006, 09:07 PM
First game against San Jose State. Stanback was the second leading rusher behind their tailback. Apparently, he frightened the SJSU defense. The Huskies are supposed to have some experience on D, but gave up a lot of points to SJSU.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?confId=&gameId=262450264

SEATTLE (AP) -- Isaiah Stanback's learning curve with second-year Washington coach Tyrone Willingham has turned sharply again.

This time, in a good way.

"Coach said he was going to run me. I didn't know he was going to run me this much," the inconsistent 2005 Huskies' quarterback said on Saturday.

Stanback's wide smile in front of his dreadlocked hair showed he hardly minded Willingham relying on him to rescue Washington from an embarrassing home-opening loss.

Stanback's 11-for-14 passing gave Washington a 12-point halftime lead. Then he raced for 78 of his 111 yards rushing in the second half with another score in the Huskies' 35-29 win over pesky San Jose State before the smallest Husky Stadium crowd in 25 years.

Louis Rankin overcame an early fumble to rush for 148 yards on 10 carries and two touchdowns. His 68-yard sideline run with 5:02 to go clinched Washington's first season-opening win since 2001. The Huskies were 3-19 over the previous two seasons.

"Whew! Sounds great to me," Willingham said of the Huskies finally being 1-0 heading into an ominous trip to powerful Oklahoma -- despite three turnovers and sloppy pass defense Saturday.

"I think this is a hell of a start compared to last year," Willingham said.

San Jose State rallied three times to within six points in the second half. Quarterback Adam Tafralis, starting because Ryan Flynn had a groin injury, found James Jones for their third scoring pass of the second half with 2:03 left. Their 6-yard connection made it 35-29.

Washington, favored by 19 points, then recovered the ensuing onside kick. The Spartans did not get the ball back until 36 seconds remained and the ball at their own 15 with no time outs remaining. They advanced only 21 yards.

"We didn't want it to be this close, but in the long run we can build on this adversity," Washington offensive coordinator Tim Lappano said.

Tafralis finished 28-for-35 for 323 yards and the three touchdowns to Jones, who tied a school record for receiving scores.

The Spartans' repeated rallies stunned the crowd of 52,256 -- Washington's smallest since 50,410 saw Arizona State on Oct. 3, 1981.

But San Jose State coach Dick Tomey saw no consolation in that.

"Too many times a year ago, we played a game like that and everybody was so excited we competed," said the former Arizona defensive wizard, whose Spartans debut season last fall ended at 3-8.

A Stanback interception -- when receiver Anthony Russo fell down and tipped the ball into Dwight Lowery's hands on the opening drive -- and two first-half fumbles led to a school record-tying three field goals by the Spartans' Jared Strubeck.

Tafralis' 3-yard touchdown pass to Jones pulled San Jose State within 21-15 early in the second half. But Stanback answered with 31 rushing yards on a 14-play drive. His last 6 yards came behind guard Stanley Daniels' turning block and through Christopher Vedder's ankle-tackle attempt that gave Washington a 28-15 lead.

Tafralis and Jones connected on a 50-yard score with 5:32 left to make it 28-22.

But Rankin answered with his 68-yard sprint on the next scrimmage play.

Stanback completed 12 of his first 15 throws through the first 2½ quarters -- many on short, safe screen passes and one-step darts. His only early incompletions: the tipped interception, Sonny Shackleford dropped a short pass and Stanback overthrew Corey Williams on a long post route.

"He was more than advertised," San Jose State linebacker Demetrius Jones said of the man Tomey had called "scary" last week.

"He's faster than we are. People are going to have trouble with that all year," Tomey said, knowing Stanback missed qualifying for last spring's NCAA national 100-meter dash championships by two one-hundredths of a second.

Kenny James bulled through three defenders at the goal line on a 17-yard touchdown run that put Washington ahead 7-3 lead midway through the opening quarter.

Rankin's first rushing score came when he bounced off teammate Williams at the 15 and bulled through a missed tackle at the 10 for a 34-yard touchdown and a 14-6 Washington lead.

Washington had 265 total yards and 13 first downs in the first half against a San Jose State defense returning just two starters from last season. That was one more first down than the Huskies had in their entire previous game, last November's Apple Cup loss to Washington State.

"It's a pretty good feeling going into Oklahoma," Rankin said. "We're just going to sneak in there and see what we can do."

HarrisTubbsFan
9/3/2006, 09:15 PM
Another running QB. Hopefully we can play disiplined defense.

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2006, 09:29 PM
Stanback is a pretty decent QB but has no supporting cast at all.

Our coaches have actually done very well against QBs who run that we expect to play. Witness what we did to Reggie McNeal in every game OTHER than the game his freshman year where he wasn't supposed to play. Look at Seneca Wallace and how badly he got pummeled. Vince Young was fairly ineffective until last year when UT just had much more talent all over the field.

It's when we spend the week preparing for a passing QB and the team throws a runner at us that we get stonkered. Has to do with how we coach our DEs to crash and read plays.

Ash
9/3/2006, 09:33 PM
Considering the competition they were playing, the numbers are probably inflated. He can clearly rush the ball, throwing looks OK. But, no matter what people say, OUs D is going to be tougher to play against than SJSU. I'm thinking the Sooner D can cause some turnovers and make life much tougher for this guy.

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2006, 09:40 PM
I'm basing the "Pretty decent QB" off of watching him last year, not just the SJSU game. Again, though-no supporting cast.

I'll be kind of disappointed if OU doesn't run UW off the field. They aren't as good a team as UAB. Hurts me to say so, because I like UW, but they don't have a lot of talent and their coach is a clown.

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 09:42 PM
I hope we run it up on UW...

TheGodfather889
9/3/2006, 09:43 PM
Washington was and will be in the cellar in the Pac 10. OU should and better kick their ***!

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 09:46 PM
This Ash kid looks pretty good, one of the fiew new posters that doesn't wreak of *********gery. I see good things and a high post count from this guy.

Oh and yea Stanback is going to have a tough road game this weekend.

Ash
9/3/2006, 10:55 PM
This Ash kid looks pretty good, one of the fiew new posters that doesn't wreak of *********gery. I see good things and a high post count from this guy.

Oh and yea Stanback is going to have a tough road game this weekend.

Thanks!:)

As for Stanback, he seems like a playmaker but 100 yards rushing and over 60% pass completion I do not see in his near future. To be honest, though, I haven't seen much of him.

U-Dub only won 2 last season. They might be better, but I don't see much improvement - they actually lost some players during the off-season (academic probs) including a d-lineman and one of their top tailbacks (although they return the #1 guy).

OUstud
9/3/2006, 11:05 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: UW=OU mid 90s. Sooners by 4 touchdowns. And we haven't lost our second game of the season since 1996.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 11:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again: UW=OU mid 90s. Sooners by 4 touchdowns. And we haven't lost our second game of the season since 1996.
Wow, jinx-erific statement!

J/K

I think UW's dbs being a weakness really helps us. Come out with the zone read for the first two series, let PT roll out etc...
Then save AD for when they're getting gassed around the 4th series.

Ash
9/3/2006, 11:45 PM
I'm basing the "Pretty decent QB" off of watching him last year, not just the SJSU game. Again, though-no supporting cast.

I'll be kind of disappointed if OU doesn't run UW off the field. They aren't as good a team as UAB. Hurts me to say so, because I like UW, but they don't have a lot of talent and their coach is a clown.

Smallest crowd since 1981. :eek:

msteudem
9/3/2006, 11:51 PM
If we can just keep the Sooner Schooner off the field we should be okay.:D

douxpaysan
9/4/2006, 12:04 AM
Washington has a good defensive line and some nice linebackers but their secondary sucks. This could be a break-out game for PT. Someone described their offense as "Ty-died." Rufus and his buddies should be feasting.

Rogue
9/4/2006, 07:08 AM
I'm convinced. Sooners by a mile. Maybe a mile and a half.