PDA

View Full Version : Sooner D...

TJKDone
9/3/2006, 08:28 PM
Didn't you guys tell me that this could possibly be the best unit in the Stoops era? Didn't Stoops himself say that it could be "really special?" I haven't know Bob Stoops to over hype a team, but he may very well have in this case.

Comparing these guys to Roy W and Rocky C etc? I just don't get it...

Hook'em

picasso
9/3/2006, 08:42 PM
I never said that and if Stoops did, he certainly saw something. They are young.

Two things I noticed, Latimer was out of position and still can't tackle. Williams was in position and still can't tackle.

It's still not like we gave up 30 points Horn.

Also, our D got waxed by Kansas a week before 63-14. Just sayin.:D

StoopTroup
9/3/2006, 08:46 PM
Ummmm...TJKDone...

I know you guys had a good game yesterday and that OUr team didn't look as sharp against OUr competition as your team did...

But you really should go comparing Apples and Oranges...

Apples > Oranges.

HarrisTubbsFan
9/3/2006, 08:55 PM
There's no way I could by the hype about this D completely. There's just too much youth there.

Sonner magic923
9/3/2006, 08:55 PM
so what from yesterday makes you think they cant be really special? well all i can say is when we make Colt McCoy look absolutly silly for the first qauter and then Mack will panic like usuall, send in the backup and ruin another qbs carreer then our D will be special

westcoast_sooner
9/3/2006, 08:57 PM
My take on this was that the Sooner coaches just didn't quite know what to expect from UAB. Who knew that Watson Brown would use an old option-T offense?

I think we'll be much better prepared for UW on Saturday. We know the kind of offense Ty Willingham runs, and Washington barely beat SJ State.

Big Red Ron
9/3/2006, 09:00 PM
I had no Idea that they ran a split t/ flexbone offense. Our speed killed us.

GDC
9/3/2006, 09:14 PM
It's wonderful that fans of other schools are not only welcomed with open arms, but even encouraged to post here.

Cam
9/3/2006, 09:26 PM
UAB >>>>>> N Texas. Just sayin.

Big Red Ron
9/3/2006, 09:26 PM
is UNT d1?

OUGreg723
9/3/2006, 10:15 PM
It was the first freaking game. Letting up 17 aint that bad. Let's not judge this unit based off one performance. You can bet that the mistakes will be fixed.

Duke o Brewery
9/3/2006, 10:33 PM
You'll get it on the first Saturday in October, whorn.

RooseveltRoughRider
9/3/2006, 11:14 PM
is UNT d1?

ACTUALLY....they have been 1A since 2001

2001 5-7 Bowl Game
2002 8-5 Bowl Game
2003 9-4 Bowl Game
2004 7-5 Bowl Game
2005 2-9

and aside from last season had been to 4 consecutive bowl games.
Yes, they are in division 1A, and their RB led the nation in Rushing in 2004..

It's not like OU has not played them in the last few years because they have.

Salt City Sooner
9/3/2006, 11:19 PM
Didn't you guys tell me that this could possibly be the best unit in the Stoops era? Didn't Stoops himself say that it could be "really special?" I haven't know Bob Stoops to over hype a team, but he may very well have in this case.

Hook'em
Whatever you do, by all means, jump the gun & assess the whole season's possibilities on one game. Want a case in point? The '01 defense, (who by your own admission had such stellar players as Roy Williams & Rocky Calmus, & was the consensus best defense of the Stoops era) vs. a KSU team who would go on to all of a 6-6 season:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores101/101272/101272450.htm

Bottom line, a bad night happens to EVERYBODY.

olevetonahill
9/3/2006, 11:21 PM
It's wonderful that fans of other schools are not only welcomed with open arms, but even encouraged to post here.
GDC the 1 great thing about em being here is I can SSRA to the:texan: s;) :D

Ash
9/3/2006, 11:34 PM
Colt McCoy got away with passing into coverage against unt (triple coverage at least once). That ain't happening against a better team: tOSU, OU, hell Baylor would have probably recorded three picks.

Jevan Snead looked mediocre at best when he came in to the game.

If that's what your so cocky about TJWhorn, I can't wait till our D matches up against your team.

Jello Biafra
9/3/2006, 11:38 PM

Hook'em

dear moran,

50% of our rotation at defensive line are freshman. one of our starting linebackers is a freshman. NONE of our starting defensive backfield was on this team two years ago. they are young and still dominate.

Jello Biafra
9/3/2006, 11:40 PM

for what its worth gdc, i even spit at the old ladies i see wearing burnt orange.

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 11:54 PM
for what its worth gdc, i even spit at the old ladies i see wearing burnt orange.

All you do is spit? Pfft noob :)

Jello Biafra
9/3/2006, 11:57 PM
All you do is spit? Pfft noob :)

yeh, now i do. i showed my hawg to one and then spent the next six months running from her. damn stalkers :)

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 11:58 PM
yeh, now i do. i showed my hawg to one and then spent the next six months running from her. damn stalkers :)

Your hawg? Why do you call it that, does it have a corkscrew shape to it?

Egeo
9/4/2006, 03:02 AM
who's the frosh lb starter?
ru, latimer and pleasant are all upper classmen

Egeo
9/4/2006, 03:03 AM
anyways, the D will get better quickly
the grass was wet and they made some errors during the first game of the season.... not uncommon

there are a few personnell changes id like to see made though...

Readyfor8
9/4/2006, 03:11 AM
anyways, the D will get better quickly
the grass was wet and they made some errors during the first game of the season.... not uncommon

there are a few personnell changes id like to see made though...

just curious, but what changes?

Egeo
9/4/2006, 03:18 AM
nic harris starting at fs

and sub lattimer out more often on obvious pass situations for someone a little stronger in coverage
like one of our corners or baker/carter

*although i cant really complain about lattimer's coverage yesterday (off the top of my head) but they didnt throw over the middle much either
and i dont remember how well pleasant played either

Jello Biafra
9/4/2006, 07:44 AM
who's the frosh lb starter?
ru, latimer and pleasant are all upper classmen

was i seeing things or was loftin in there...alot.

Jello Biafra
9/4/2006, 07:45 AM
Your hawg? Why do you call it that, does it have a corkscrew shape to it?

no cuz its shaped like a hog :)

CtheB
9/4/2006, 08:24 AM
I think Latimer's poor play Saturday was due to the stinger. You could tell he wasn't looking for contact. And there is no "great" defense with Darrien Williams starting on it.

What was most frustrating to me Saturday was the way UAB tore us up inside, literally driving our DTs into Neverland on most plays. Add to that a gimped Latimer to hold the middle fort, and its a recipe for disaster against what UAB was doing.

That being said, there's no reason to hit the panic button. It's September, and these things will happen. No one is griping if the offense tags the 14 they spurned with TOs. This defense will be fine.

Let's see what they do this week.

william_brasky
9/4/2006, 08:35 AM
the grass was wet

:rolleyes:

GDC
9/4/2006, 09:57 AM

I kick em in the knees and steal their purses.

soonersam
9/4/2006, 10:47 AM
"D" ???? How about our TE had the biggest hit of the night.. thats not good..... Great game Joe Jon

LittleRedTuba
9/4/2006, 11:52 AM
As far as D personell changes, I think I'd like DJ Wolfe to be looked at. I'm not saying he needs to be taken out of the lineup or anything, but maybe he should get a stern talking to. It seemed to me like he missed quite a few assignments, by biting on the fake handoff and things like that. Even when he switched sides of the field they threw at him.

Jello Biafra
9/4/2006, 11:57 AM
"D" ???? How about our TE had the biggest hit of the night.. thats not good..... Great game Joe Jon

i disagree. alexander himself had several big hits.....the defense was hitting just not when it mattered. if you come into the first 10 plays of a game and make a statement, it will set the tone for the rest of the game. we didn't set the tone and UAB stuck around till the very end.

Egeo
9/4/2006, 02:23 PM
dj will be fine, he played fine last year
*but if he somehow has regressed im sure the coaches will start turning to the bench

Egeo
9/4/2006, 02:24 PM
was i seeing things or was loftin in there...alot.
i dont remember, but i know he didnt start

MojoRisen
9/4/2006, 02:34 PM
The hunt kid is good- Trust me on that- no joke... We should have spyed him earlier is all I can say- We ended up stopping them when it counted....

Wolfe should be in film room for a couple of nights!

picasso
9/4/2006, 11:25 PM
ACTUALLY....they have been 1A since 2001

2001 5-7 Bowl Game
2002 8-5 Bowl Game
2003 9-4 Bowl Game
2004 7-5 Bowl Game
2005 2-9

and aside from last season had been to 4 consecutive bowl games.
Yes, they are in division 1A, and their RB led the nation in Rushing in 2004..

It's not like OU has not played them in the last few years because they have.

yes we played them and spanked them also. If you watched our game vs. UAB, we didn't exactly had WR's running wide open down the field.:D

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 11:53 PM

So one game makes the entire year? Kind of silly, considering we played one of the better teams in the CUSA. They're not world beaters, but then again neither was UNT.

Find me a link where someone on this board said any one person on this year's defense was as good as Roy W. One link. You can't do it. No one said it. You have outright lied and been caught.

People have said this defensive TEAM could be as good or better than the 2001 defensive TEAM. Why am I not surprised that a fan of a university that lived and died by the presence of one man can't grasp this TEAM concept.

CobraKai
9/5/2006, 08:22 AM
I think it is premature to assess. I think our D looked bad. It looked almost as bad as the 2001 D looked in the opener, and that has proven to be teh best D in the Stoops era, complete with Calmus, RW, Tommie, et al.

footballfanatic
9/5/2006, 08:57 AM
dear moran,

50% of our rotation at defensive line are freshman. one of our starting linebackers is a freshman. NONE of our starting defensive backfield was on this team two years ago. they are young and still dominate.

Ummm, it's moron, moron.

GDC
9/5/2006, 09:45 AM
This whorn should be booted for name-calling.