PDA

View Full Version : OU/UAB Game Review

David Earl
9/3/2006, 04:26 PM
Overview

Man, what an off-season we’ve had! With all the noise about losing a couple of players, the main chatter has revolved around questions relating to replacing those guys. Most of us have recognized the deeper story that goes beyond replacing two players. That story is one of team chemistry.

Amidst the turmoil and controversy has been an opportunity to help with team chemistry. Throughout August practice we kept hearing bits and pieces that made us believe OU is more of a TEAM this year than at the same time last year.

In spite of a close win and some struggles, I believe this is a different team than early last season. The team played well enough to win, better than the TCU outing last year. This UAB team would have defeated last year’s opening week Sooner squad worse that TCU did. The team not only played well enough to win; the team played like the TEAM we’ve been hearing about.

Offense

For the first game of the season I thought the offense was pretty crisp. The offense was better in this game than in the first two last year. Turnovers are certainly an issue, plus a couple of penalties, but for a first game the offense was fairly impressive.

There was a LOT of play action passes and drop back passes called early. That surprised me. Wilson was no doubt trying to exploit the UAB defense stacking to stop AD. The plan had some success. Minus an overthrown pass or two and a couple of drops, the plan would have yielded a couple more scores in the first half. The offense nearly broke this game open more than once. At this point last year the offense couldn’t break open an egg.

The offensive game plan was VERY simple, as it should have been. Think about it, I bet we ran less than a dozen plays. That’s not much for opposing coaches to look at on film.

Everybody wanted Peterson to get the ball more in the second half, rightfully so. The run up the middle was not there, but plays to the edge with AD were there in the second half. That kept the momentum going and it just felt like all night we were going to win because it felt all night like a different team than last year. Like a TEAM.

QB

Most were really pleased with Paul’s performance, including myself. Paul came out throwing well and with confidence.
He threw well under pressure until late in the first quarter. On one pass he was parallel to the ground and going down when he completed the pass to Finley.

He had a cold streak during the second quarter, throwing high on a couple of passes, one allowing a tip that was picked. We knew going in he was a little streaky on his throwing. His second interception was behind the WR just a hair. That play is a great example where a few inches can be the difference between first-and-goal inside the five and turning the ball over. Paul also had a great throw at end of third that should have been caught for TD.

Paul showed he can pass the ball around a little. He’s not John Elway. He’s a little streaky. But he’s mobile, and much more poised than last season. He was on a pace for 300 yards passing at the end of the first half. Paul did fine and will only get better.

RB

AD had the critical fumble in the third quarter and a holding penalty or two. That’s about the extent of the bad news. The good news is he is stronger, faster and healthy. When the kid hits the corner he’s like a freight train. I just love his stride when he’s got room to run. The swing pass that went for 69 yards and a TD was really sweet. He showed his speed there, leaving UAB defenders in his afterburner wake.

Clap looked pretty good blocking. He had a good block on the corner to spring AD’s 30+ yard sweep in the second quarter and did the same on another toss sweep in the third. I don’t believe we saw any significant action of our backup players here.

WR/TE

The guys were catching well early, though there were some drops later in the game. Part of that may be due to the fact Paul sometimes smokes the football in there like a missile. I’m sure Josh is trying to coach him to use a little more touch on some of those passes.

Finley had a huge game catching and blocking. He had an awesome crackback block to help spring Peterson’s TD on the swing pass. Think about getting blind-sided by a 260 pound TE! The TV had several angles of that, which I watched again in slow motion. That will be on the highlight reels I’m sure.

Kelly had a couple good catches. Iglesias missed the TD pass at the end of the third, but redeemed himself in the return game.

OL

I thought the pass protection very respectable. Paul got flushed a time or two, but never sacked. He got to his fourth or fifth read often so there was some protection there. We weren’t getting much push on those inside run plays. Even with UAB stacking the line we ought to get a little push.

On balance, I believe this group showed they will be a workable o-line this season. We know they’ll improve from week to week. If they stay healthy, the line should be pretty good.

Defense

Defense started out great but got sloppy in the second quarter. When UAB put in their other QB, our guys started struggling. Their QB is strong, but man... Quite frankly, I was disappointed in the defense, especially the over pursuit and sloppy tackling.

I guess those were the main problems, poor tackling and poor positioning. Recall we’ve had similar problems in previous years that got corrected or at least significantly improved. There’s reasonable hope our defense can improve, but that doesn’t change the fact we didn’t have the stellar defense we were expecting. It may grow to be that good, but it’s not there yet.

So is it Venables’ fault? You know I’m pretty slow to lay a lot of specific blame on coaches or players. They work hard and I feel we should appreciate them. BV has put together some good game plans against very respectable offenses; UT in 04, UO in the Holiday Bowl last year... There’s reason to think he can field a quality defense.

Brent is a great position (LB) coach and a great recruiter. We need to think carefully before we start wishing he’d move along. And I’m willing to be patient and see what he can do with this young and talented bunch. He may not be as good a DC as he is a head coach, time will tell, but I’m still behind him for now.

DL

I looked back over game tape a little and I was surprised at the push UAB got in their running game on our front four, especially the interior. With the depth we have, I’m not sure why that should happen consistently in any game.

The DE’s had trouble with outside containment against the run, but got decent pressure against the pass. Ah You especially had a good game, moving inside in the dime package. It looked like Ah You helped cause that fumble in the second quarter. Birdine probably wasn’t as big a factor as he’ll be when he gets warmed up in a game or two.

LB

LB’s struggle with over pursuit, in the second quarter especially. Tackling was not as crisp as we’re used to seeing. Lofton got considerable playing time, but I haven’t reviewed enough to see how well he did. Rufus stuck Hunt on an attempted scramble/QB draw late and that took Hunt out. If that hit happens mid way through the second quarter it’s a different ballgame.

DB

Williams caused a fumble in the second quarter with the help of Ah You. I thought he had a good game in run support. However, some of our secondary woes may have been due to safety play, I’m not sure. When a CB gets burned deep it’s hard for this untrained eye to tell if the CB got burned or if a FS/SS failed to roll coverage like they’re supposed to. So maybe Williams struggled some in pass coverage, but he was pretty good against the run.

Clayton hit well and tackled well, especially compared to the rest of the defense. He’s going to be a great addition to this defense. Reggie tackled fairly well, better than I expected. His coverage was awesome, shutting down one side of the field.

Harris had a nice hit on the blitz in the third quarter. He has shown some real improvement and I’m excited about what he can do for us defensively this season. Man he has bulked up during the summer! Wolfe got beat on a couple of deep passes. His coverage was really good a few times but he got toasted some too. I will say he tackles well and is a good run-stopping corner.

Special Teams

Special teams were special again. The punting was solid. Smith looks really good on returns. He put together some good yards, even with one return called back on block in back. He nearly got a punt return all the way early in the third quarter.

Iglesias is looking good on kick returns. He’s shifty enough I won’t be surprised to see him take one to the house before long. Gute was blocking well on returns. I hope he gets some playing time on offense soon. Hartley kicked well and got the FG when called upon to do so. We’ll need those kinds of points often before this season is done.

Zebras

The strip on Gresham that was ruled a fumble was marginal. His momentum was stopped. Stoops challenged the call and lost. It was too marginal to overturn. We got that back later in the game when they stripped the ball on an attempted punt return by Smith and it was blown dead.

I thought the zebras missed a grounding call against UAB but the QB was outside the tackle. I think UAB was flagged for personal foul on that same play so it didn’t make a huge difference anyway.

Summary

If you had told me we’d give up 300 yards total offense and have four turnovers I would have replied that we would lose the game by a couple of scores. If you had told me Paul Thompson would have a solid night throwing the ball for over 200 yards and two TD’s with AD getting over 130 yards on the ground with another 69 receiving I’d have told you we would have won. My point is this game did NOT go like I thought it would in any way, except for the fact we won. And that’s the part that counts. This TEAM won.

Laugh all you want, but I’m going back to my original statement that this is a different Sooner team than last year this same time. Chemistry seemed better. They played more like a TEAM. Did you watch the reactions when something good happened? Am I imagining things? It just seemed different this year.

The first two games last year were abysmal. There were problems Saturday, but there’s a spark of life, a spark of hope. I’m telling you people, it’s different from last year. Last year during the Tulsa game I BELIEVED we would lose to Tulsa. During the UAB game I never seriously doubted victory. It just felt different...

Don’t get me wrong. There are real concerns that must be addressed. If these things aren’t addressed we will lose to UO, UT, TAMU and Tech, and maybe others. But the improvements will come.

Will the team grow enough to seriously compete for the conference championship? We’ll just have to wait and see. For now I think we’re good enough to win next week. And that’s enough to keep this Sooner fan’s hopes on edge. Boomer Sooner!

BigDeezy
9/3/2006, 04:46 PM
Very good analysis. Thanks.

OUfan7
9/3/2006, 04:47 PM
I agree with you on just about everything but I sure would like to see the O-line explode off the line of scrimage and create a few holes. Just sayin'.....

PDXsooner
9/3/2006, 05:17 PM
great breakdown, as usual. anyone who has followed college football for a long time should recognize that a win's a win, and each week is a different week. sure, it would have been nice to blow them out, but i feel a lot better about this game than a lot of fans.

maybe i'm just an optimist, but i feel the same way as you, de. after last year, you'd think people would have a little more appreciation for each win. i guess that's wishful thinking.

the reality is, the concern over the summer was all about pt, not the d. this game proved just the opposite. put me in the camp that thinks our d will get better each week, and this team has a great shot to win the big 12.

swardboy
9/3/2006, 05:19 PM
So right on. Thanks. I truly believe that PT's confidence level has to be extremely high coming out of this game. It was everything last year's start wasn't...nice stats, complete game, poise in adversity, easy to see how improvement is very realistic, respect of team, no qb controversy. He should be in a great frame of mind going forward, and I think that's very important to the offense's performance.

Egeo
9/3/2006, 05:36 PM
really a good review there
the difference between winning this year and losing last year was that the offense was 14 points better

i know at first that looks like a stupid statement, but i dont think last years offense (at the beginning) could have scored 24 against ... well almost anyone
unless we decided not to pass at all in teh second half

GottaHavePride
9/3/2006, 05:39 PM
BOOOO, creepy foot doctor!

Hooray, David Earl Game Reviews!

Sooner-N-KS
9/3/2006, 06:25 PM
I thought it felt different as well.

I think part of the difference may be in the QB situation. Last year when PT played poorly most of us were wondering when the coaches would put RB in. This year we knew our offensive leadership was stable.

Last year we were all wondering who would fit into the positions.

This year most of the main positions weren't in question.

william_brasky
9/3/2006, 06:37 PM
Nice review DE. Dead on.

Overall, I was pleased with PT, but those little underthrows/overthrows may turn out to be the difference in some ball games.

On the play where Gresham was stripped, if PT would've led him instead of throwing the ball a bit behind, that turnover probably would've never happened.

PT will get better.

Our D was a disappointment. They'll get better too.

Now they have some film to look at and things to work on. Thankfully, we got the W.

Give Watson and his team some credit. They didn't back down one bit and came in with a nice game plan.

I look for our Offense to open up a bit next week, and I look for our D to do a better job up front and tackling overall.

One game at a time baby.

Boomer Sooner.

olevetonahill
9/3/2006, 06:38 PM
well said ,spek

bri
9/3/2006, 06:49 PM
Sunshine pumper. ;)

Rogue
9/3/2006, 07:30 PM
Good analysis DE, thanks.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/3/2006, 08:34 PM
Quite frankly, I was disappointed in the defense, especially the over pursuit and sloppy tackling.

God bless every one of those hard chargin' Sooners out there on Saturday, but that, in my opinion, nails it right on the button. In fact, that's nailed it on the button from my observation in the early season a FEW times. But I'll give credit where credit's due, and it falls squarely on two things in my opinion. Team speed and the time it takes to settle in, and some smart playcalling on Watson Brown's part. Lots of first look fakes, which by playcalling alone removes a linebacker from pursuit by eating him up at the line of scrimmage. Add in that line play mentioned earlier...

Bingo. You're movin' the football on a damn good defense.

Give it 'til Washington. In my honest opinion, there isn't a solution other than good ol' fashioned hard poppin' and gettin' back in the groove of things. Once they do, you'll see it shine up like it oughta.

And keep 'em comin'! Great observation!

BOOOOOOOOOMER!!!

westcoast_sooner
9/3/2006, 08:50 PM
Great analysis. I always look forward to your reviews after gameday.

I think PT looked good and had a solid game. I think that given the position he was put in (moving to WR, and getting moved back to QB for fall practice) is probably as much to blame for his inconsistent play as anything.

Nothing in last night's game makes me think that the 2006 Sooners won't be good. I think you're right about this group being more of a TEAM. Sounds like the guys are definitely getting hard core.

Let's see how they correct some of the things that didn't go well, and how they improve on others. The O-Line needs to get a push regardless of how many are in the box. PT needs to hit his receivers in the numbers. The receivers need to make some improvements - look the ball in and make sure of the catch (Juaquin Iglesias) and sometime play defense to make sure that some defender doesn't come up with an interception. One thing I noticed was that when the offense had success on the corners, why we didn't exploit that a little more. Make the UAB defense stop AD coming around the corner, and it should open up some of that stuff up the middle - make them pick their poison.

The D needs to get into position, and tackle better.

All of these things are correctable. We'll learn and grow from this, and hopefully be better next week.

HarrisTubbsFan
9/3/2006, 08:52 PM
This is about the type of team I thought we would see this year. Although Paul Thompson showed he can win games if he's given a chance.

StoopTroup
9/3/2006, 10:03 PM
I watched the replay twice now...

The 1st game left me wanting more instead of a "We better get it together by next week feeling".

I just have a feeling that we're about to see some really great football this year.

The Crimson and Cream will rise to the TOP IMO.

Good Stuff DE.

jdurrett
9/3/2006, 11:21 PM
I disagree re: Venables. Beginning at least three years ago teams that werent very good started to throw up points against us. We didnt pay much attention because it didnt matter because they had no chance to score as much as quickly as we could. Then the next year the opposition scored more and occasionally pushed us. Last year we were down to whoever scored last won the game. Baylor(BAYLOR!!!), Nebraska, A&M, Kansas made a run not to mention TCU, UCLA, etc, etc, etc. We got somewhat better but then we had Dusty and our savoir linebacker. Not anymore. UAB didnt do anything fancy or tricky-just mostly ran between the tackles and stuffed us. We play at about 60% of the ability of the players. Terrible game planning put the players in the wrong position doing the wrong thing and they didnt begin to adjust until in the 4th quarter. Badly outcoached. He has become mediocre.

cla

Tulsa_Fireman
9/3/2006, 11:25 PM
Terrible game planning put the players in the wrong position doing the wrong thing...

Can't say I agree with that at all. In fact, had I one handy, I'd drop a Richard Dawson Family Feud strike on that lil' jewel. Watch the tape again. Watch the fullback work. Watch the line play. That was a jewel of a game called by Watson Brown, a classroom, textbook example on how to take linebackers out of a ballgame. Add some dang good effort on that quarterback and offensive line and you got a near embarassment. Emphasis on 'near'.

OklahomaTuba
9/3/2006, 11:35 PM
Thank GOD we have AD. If we didn't, then we lose this game, to UA friggin B.

Our D is missing something, and its not the players.

StoopTroup
9/4/2006, 01:19 AM
i just watched the Game Highlights on the O-Zone and the Stoops after-game Interview.

We're gonna smoke Washington.

william_brasky
9/4/2006, 01:20 AM
Our D is missing something, and its not the players.

You're being way too cryptic. Say what you mean boy. :pop:

arlington
9/4/2006, 09:32 AM
Great analysis with the exception of Williams at free safety..Sure he caused a fumble but i was so incensed with his play that when i watched the game again, i counted 6 missed solo tackles..When a team is running some 40 snaps, most option type football, your free safety is going to be unaccounted for and HAS to be in double figures in tackles..Do you remember Everage against Air Force? That is how it has to be in this Defense and Debo is the worst tackler we have on our defense..

David Earl
9/4/2006, 09:39 AM
I'll have to go back and watch the game again. I thought he was hitting pretty good and wrapping up. I'll watch for it and see what turns up.

OklahomaTuba
9/4/2006, 10:08 AM
You're being way too cryptic. Say what you mean boy. :pop:
We just don't play smart defense now. We used to force turnovers like crazy. We used to have guys in the right spot making the right play. Wheres that chip on the shoulder we used to have? Our D was something that was to be feared, now we have glorified 1-AA schools exploiting our interioir and giving us no respect. Ever since the USC game, its been react, react, react. Its like the pussification of the OU D.

Go look what Vince Young and Mack Brown thought about that style of D. Hell, Macks the guy that told Watson how to play us.

IMO, this react BS has gotta go. We will not beat texass or win a title with this defense if it doesn't become more aggresive, and lord know we have the talent for it.

Go look at LASooners 2000 Orange Bowl video, and see how those guys hit, and how they persured the ball. Those kids played D. They hit so hard FSU didn't know what to do.

I feel like that philosophy is long gone.

soonersam
9/4/2006, 10:31 AM
Moved the ball beter then the 7 points showed in the first.... 2 picks in the redzone before the half... 1 went thru the hands of the reciever and the 2nd wasnt fought for very hard by Kelly... I liked the play calls within 2 min...

soonersam
9/4/2006, 10:34 AM
Bush looked great returning punts... just needs to learn how to make the KICKER miss!!!

FaninAma
9/4/2006, 10:48 AM
I disagree with the notion that we aren't attacking. Our DE's, especially Birdine,were being too aggressive and over-pursuing. I counted numerous blitzes by Nic Harris(who is going to be a great player, BTW.) Teams moved the ball on Mike Stoops'd defense a lot. Remember Bowling Green in 2003 or KSU, TAMU in 2001? Mobile QB's have always given OU a hard time.

I will agree that Williams had a poor night tackling, but it was the first game and I think it took a while to adjust to game speed. If he doesn't play better then there is quality depth behind him.

In fact, I think this is the fewest yards an OU team under Stoops has given up in the first game Since 2001 except for UNT in 2003 and Tulsa in 2002.

UAB is the most talented team in conference USA and I'll say it again...they only gained 3.5 yards per rush. They didn't rush for 150 yards and over half of their passing yards were gained on 2 side line routes where the receivers caught perfect passes over their shoulders as they were stepping out of bounds.

Don't read too much onto a first game.

OKC-SLC
9/4/2006, 10:51 AM
had I one handy, I'd drop a Richard Dawson Family jewel in my mouth.
wow, just wow.

OKC-SLC
9/4/2006, 10:54 AM
Did you watch the reactions when something good happened? Am I imagining things? It just seemed different this year.

I agree.

Two things I noticed were:
-how the team and coaches greeted ENA after a TD or good play
-at the end of the game our guys immediately started congratulating ENA.

soonersam
9/4/2006, 11:01 AM
the option pass they ran would have been the tieing score if 14 could catch!!

soonersam
9/4/2006, 11:03 AM
and the Bush fumble on the punt that was blown dead

bri
9/4/2006, 11:24 AM
We just don't play smart defense now. We used to force turnovers like crazy. We used to have guys in the right spot making the right play. Wheres that chip on the shoulder we used to have? Our D was something that was to be feared, now we have glorified 1-AA schools exploiting our interioir and giving us no respect. Ever since the USC game, its been react, react, react. Its like the pussification of the OU D.

Go look what Vince Young and Mack Brown thought about that style of D. Hell, Macks the guy that told Watson how to play us.

IMO, this react BS has gotta go. We will not beat texass or win a title with this defense if it doesn't become more aggresive, and lord know we have the talent for it.

Go look at LASooners 2000 Orange Bowl video, and see how those guys hit, and how they persured the ball. Those kids played D. They hit so hard FSU didn't know what to do.

I feel like that philosophy is long gone.

Hey, here's a fun game: Walk up to Rufus Alexander and tell him he's been pussified. I mean, what's the worst that can happen? He'll hold you down and tickle you and then you guys can watch Degrassi: The Next Generation and braid each other's hair.

David Earl
9/4/2006, 11:27 AM
I disagree with the notion that we aren't attacking. Our DE's, especially Birdine,were being too aggressive and over-pursuing. I counted numerous blitzes by Nic Harris(who is going to be a great player, BTW.) Teams moved the ball on Mike Stoops'd defense a lot. Remember Bowling Green in 2003 or KSU, TAMU in 2001? Mobile QB's have always given OU a hard time.

I will agree that Williams had a poor night tackling, but it was the first game and I think it took a while to adjust to game speed. If he doesn't play better then there is quality depth behind him.

In fact, I think this is the fewest yards an OU team under Stoops has given up in the first game Since 2001 except for UNT in 2003 and Tulsa in 2002.

UAB is the most talented team in conference USA and I'll say it again...they only gained 3.5 yards per rush. They didn't rush for 150 yards and over half of their passing yards were gained on 2 side line routed that where the receiver caught perfect passes as he was stepping out of bounds.

Don't read too much onto a first game.

You people pay attention to this post!

On the whole optimistic/pessimistic balance of things, FaninAma tends to lean a little more toward the realistic/pessimistic side of things. I was a little bummed about our defensive performance Saturday. When I read FaninAma making the positive observations he does in this post it gets my attention.

I have a sneaking suspicion after film review that Wolfe is going to really get challenged or lose his job. In fact, I think I read earlier Stoops said as much. I have confidence that D.J. will rise to the challenge and give it his best. Williams may face the same situation. Bowers is a hard hitter and has worked hard. He may get a serious look in practice. I hope this really pushes Williams. And FaninAma is right, Harris is gonna be good!

David Earl
9/4/2006, 11:28 AM
I mean, what's the worst that can happen? He'll hold you down and tickle you and then you guys can watch Degrassi: The Next Generation and braid each other's hair.

That's pretty funny right there.

OUstudent4life
9/4/2006, 11:47 AM
In fact, I think this is the fewest yards an OU team under Stoops has given up in the first game Since 2001 except for UNT in 2003 and Tulsa in 2002...

...Don't read too much onto a first game.

So...2004 and 2005? :D

Actually, to be specific (from soonerstats.com)...

year: total (rushing/passing)
2000: 342 (125/217)
2001: 290 (64/226)
2002: 213 (102/111)
2003: 154 (75/79)
2004: 269 (51/218)
2005: 284 (58/226)
2006: 304 (135/169)

I'll take a comparison to 2000, please :D.

But I totally agree. Don't read TOO much into it.

And dang, they rushed 40 frakin' times. 40 of 57 plays.

soonerhubs
9/4/2006, 01:49 PM
Excellent review D.E. I think most of the mistakes are correctable and I think the defense's attitude will get angrier. BV will be fine as our DC. If the 2000 D allowed 300 + yards in the first game, I've a feeling we'll get better as the season progresses.

I also think our Defensive interior is quite young, which with each game will get stronger. The Defensive Ends alone can't constitute an amazing D-Line so I certainly hope to see that interior get tougher, angrier, and scarier.

Egeo
9/4/2006, 02:31 PM
I'll have to go back and watch the game again. I thought he was hitting pretty good and wrapping up. I'll watch for it and see what turns up.
i know on the fumble he caused he did not wrap up. he got lucky that his helmet hit the ball

FaninAma
9/4/2006, 05:10 PM
So...2004 and 2005? :D

Actually, to be specific (from soonerstats.com)...

year: total (rushing/passing)
2000: 342 (125/217)
2001: 290 (64/226)
2002: 213 (102/111)
2003: 154 (75/79)
2004: 269 (51/218)
2005: 284 (58/226)
2006: 304 (135/169)

I'll take a comparison to 2000, please :D.

But I totally agree. Don't read TOO much into it.

And dang, they rushed 40 frakin' times. 40 of 57 plays.

I thought TCU had 91 yards rushing in 2005. But you get the gest of the post. The effort Saturday night isn't too far out of line with other 1st game defensive efforts. Plus, what I liked is that OU shut UAB down hard in the 4th quarter.

r5TPsooner
9/4/2006, 06:49 PM
Good review.

VirginiaOkie
9/4/2006, 07:07 PM
Great analysis! I had my concerns about Venables and his D but don't agree with the other poster that thinks he has become mediocre (not yet). We got past the first game with a "w" (not a capitol "W" but a "w" none the less).