PDA

View Full Version : Dear fans wearing dry-cleaning bags (marketed as "ponchos")

Okla-homey
9/3/2006, 02:22 PM
...in the drizzle. WTF? Afraid you'll melt?

See, that is why football is superior to many other outdoor sports (and NASCAR); the game goes on in spite of a leetle rainy-poo.;)

Scotty
9/3/2006, 02:31 PM
Hell, I wish I had one last night just to sit on. Every time i stood up to let some people go to the row behind me (which frequented the restroom/concession at least 5 times), they felt it necessary to put their mudded shoes right on my seat. Could have done without that.

Okla-homey
9/3/2006, 02:34 PM
Hell, I wish I had one last night just to sit on. Every time i stood up to let some people go to the row behind me (which frequented the restroom/concession at least 5 times), they felt it necessary to put their mudded shoes right on my seat. Could have done without that.

If you sat where we do in section 102, you would not have that problem because no mud can remain on footwear after trudging up the ramps that far.;)

GottaHavePride
9/3/2006, 02:52 PM
In the student section we solve that problem by just not sitting down. ;)

although, had it been raining much harder I would've wanted a poncho. I still have a pirated really nice poncho from the Pride. We used to get to keep them. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
9/3/2006, 02:52 PM
:mad:

PrideTuba
9/3/2006, 03:10 PM
In the student section we solve that problem by just not sitting down. ;)

although, had it been raining much harder I would've wanted a poncho. I still have a pirated really nice poncho from the Pride. We used to get to keep them. ;)

Ive got my pride poncho, I just hate carrying it around.

silverwheels
9/3/2006, 03:25 PM
I had one with me, but I refused to wear it. It was a seat cover for me. Then I lost it after the game.

royalfan5
9/3/2006, 03:29 PM

See, that is why football is superior to many other outdoor sports (and NASCAR); the game goes on in spite of a leetle rainy-poo.;)
To be fair to NASCAR, they reason they don't run in the rain is do to the laws of physics. If it's wet, the speeds they run would prevent the tires from sticking to the track, and everybody would slam into the wall.

StoopTroup
9/3/2006, 03:34 PM
If you sat where we do in section 102, you would not have that problem because no mud can remain on footwear after trudging up the ramps that far.;)
You still had fun right?

Maybe some should go with a wetsuit? :D
http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000276T74.01-A2QUBZRFQD7A2Q._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Jimminy Crimson
9/3/2006, 03:37 PM
To be fair to NASCAR, they reason they don't run in the rain is do to the laws of physics. If it's wet, the speeds they run would prevent the tires from sticking to the track, and everybody would slam into the wall.

So drive slower? :confused:

bri
9/3/2006, 03:38 PM

And then I'd watch. :D

Okla-homey
9/3/2006, 03:38 PM

But it would provide a far superior fan experience.;)

Have they ever thought about maybe letting them race on wet tracks anyway but maybe telling them they would have to take it easy or they would hit the wall due to the effect of centrifugal forces in the turns? In the end, the guy who was best able to safely drive at the highest speed on a wet track would win. I bet even those guys could understand that sort of situation. :D

Alternatively, I think grooved tires were invented oh, 100 years or so ago.

royalfan5
9/3/2006, 04:03 PM
But it would provide a far superior fan experience.;)

Have they ever thought about maybe letting them race on wet tracks anyway but maybe telling them they would have to take it easy or they would hit the wall due to the effect of centrifugal forces in the turns? In the end, the guy who was best able to safely drive at the highest speed on a wet track would win. I bet even those guys could understand that sort of situation. :D

Alternatively, I think grooved tires were invented oh, 100 years or so ago.
You can't go as fast with grooved tires. That's why every racing series runs slicks. There isn't a whole lot of point in racing if the drivers can't push the cars to the limit. Highest speed on a wet track would be in the double digits, while the fans are paying to see people push 200. That's a rip-off of the fans, and something they would do in a communist country.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 04:11 PM
Those F1 dudes are such pussies for running in the rain.

royalfan5
9/3/2006, 04:14 PM
Those F1 dudes are such pussies for running in the rain.
You can run in the rain on flat tracks, but not on banked ovals. NASCAR will run in the rain on road courses, but they can't change the laws of physics.

yermom
9/3/2006, 04:16 PM
You can't go as fast with grooved tires. That's why every racing series runs slicks. There isn't a whole lot of point in racing if the drivers can't push the cars to the limit. Highest speed on a wet track would be in the double digits, while the fans are paying to see people push 200. That's a rip-off of the fans, and something they would do in a communist country.

so they'd rather go home or something?

i can only imagine how boring a NASCAR race would be if the duration was doubled though :eek:

royalfan5
9/3/2006, 04:22 PM
so they'd rather go home or something?

i can only imagine how boring a NASCAR race would be if the duration was doubled though :eek:
What's the point of watching race cars drive slow in the rain? There wouldn't be much racing going on, so it pretty ends of the point of going to a race, in addition removing much of the strategy due to the slow speeds. A rain slowed race would be just as bad as no race.

Jimminy Crimson
9/3/2006, 06:08 PM
What's the point of watching race cars drive slow in the rain? There wouldn't be much racing going on, so it pretty ends of the point of going to a race, in addition removing much of the strategy due to the slow speeds. A rain slowed race would be just as bad as no race.

They could just drive their normal speeds and we could see some awesome crashes!

Best part of Nascar, for me at least. :D

PhilTLL
9/3/2006, 06:41 PM
What's the point of watching race cars drive?

Fixed

GottaHavePride
9/3/2006, 08:19 PM

Wait, you mean making drivers adapt to wildly different conditions and improvise new strategies to cope with less traction and lower speed would be LESS ineteresting than watching guys run right up to their restrictor limit and turning left repeatedly?

NASCAR sucks. Give me off-road rally or GT racing.

Okla-homey
9/3/2006, 08:20 PM

If that's true, restrictor plates sucked all the fun out of NASCAR...if people are really interested in seeing cars being driven as fast as mechanically possible.

royalfan5
9/3/2006, 11:33 PM
If that's true, restrictor plates sucked all the fun out of NASCAR...if people are really interested in seeing cars being driven as fast as mechanically possible.
Yeah but people would have been ****ed over the dead fans. The main reason that NASCAR can't get rid of the restrictor plates is because the cars tend to become airborne at certain speeds during wrecks. NASCAR added them after Davey Allison damn near cleared the catch fence at Talledega. Nobody will insure NASCAR events inregards to specator safety without the plates.

bri
9/3/2006, 11:41 PM
But dude, NASCAR loves the fan interaction! Just imagine the new traditions that would spring up all over the circuit; if a car driven by someone from north of the Mason/Dixon line lands in the stands, they could throw it back! :D

Blue
9/4/2006, 02:10 AM
Well, you Oklahoma folks are about 5 years behind the times anyway. I'm sure you'll come around to NASCAR.

Vaevictis
9/4/2006, 02:32 AM

Sit in the drizzle long enough, and it's no different than as if you had a bucket of water dumped on your head ;)

I put on my pancho once I noticed that my clothes were starting to soak through.

yermom
9/4/2006, 02:48 AM
Well, you Oklahoma folks are about 5 years behind the times anyway. I'm sure you'll come around to NASCAR.

people in this state may be behind, but unfortunately it's not on NASCAR

Blue
9/4/2006, 02:49 AM
people in this state may be behind, but unfortunately it's not on NASCAR

Oops. Forgot the ;) .

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2006, 02:51 AM
Nobody will insure NASCAR events inregards to specator safety without the plates.

Is someone insuring these things for liability arising out of the contest of speed? I'd be surprised if anyone other than a Lloyd's association was doing it.

royalfan5
9/4/2006, 08:12 AM
Is someone insuring these things for liability arising out of the contest of speed? I'd be surprised if anyone other than a Lloyd's association was doing it.
I don't know who their insurer is.

Jimminy Crimson
9/4/2006, 02:03 PM
Nobody will insure NASCAR events inregards to specator safety without the plates.

Can't you just print on the ticket: Come at your own risk, not responsible for death. :confused:

No insurance needed!

royalfan5
9/4/2006, 03:18 PM
Can't you just print on the ticket: Come at your own risk, not responsible for death. :confused:

No insurance needed!
That's not good PR though when someone gets killed, and they would still get sued.

Jimminy Crimson
9/4/2006, 03:34 PM
That's not good PR though when someone gets killed, and they would still get sued.

I don't think a lot of nascar patrons know what PR or lawsuits are. ;)

royalfan5
9/4/2006, 03:36 PM
I don't think a lot of nascar patrons know what PR or lawsuits are. ;)
Yeah, but there always lawyers that recognize ambulances.

yermom
9/4/2006, 03:57 PM
i don't think that insurance is as much of a problem as butts in the seats

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2006, 04:12 PM

No insurance needed!

They probably do, actually. Most sporting events have some kind of language on the ticket that states that neither the venue nor participants are responsible for any injury arising from something leaving the field of play.

Even so, as royalfan said, they'd probably get sued anyhow, and one of the nice things about the ISO general liability policy is that the insurance company pays for unlimited defense until they either settle, exhaust the limits of the policy (by paying other claims or reaching the occurence limit by paying claims relating to the same accident), or the case is adjudicated.

Oldnslo
9/4/2006, 04:37 PM
First of all, I go to at least one NASCAR race a year. The racing sucks. Both Busch and IRL put on a FAR superior race, as far as what's on the track.

That being said, the NASCAR race, when considering the entire weekend kicks major @ss. You can see girls who are only too eager to obtain beaded necklaces (a gross of the damn necklaces is less than a $20). There's always good drinks and a boatload of happy drunk people around, and grilling up steaks by the track is one of life's joys.

If they could just get the whole IRL weekend up to snuff, it would be the best thing evar. Those boys'll put on a race! Danica, too.

MamaMia
9/4/2006, 05:03 PM
I had an OU poncho. I like to stay dry because I'm always concerned the crimson dye may bleed onto my khaki pants. :)

RacerX
9/4/2006, 09:17 PM
Somebody ask Homey why he left the game early.

Okla-homey
9/4/2006, 10:18 PM
Somebody ask Homey why he left the game early.

who left early? We got out of our seats with a couple minutes left and hit the tunnel to watch the end.

:les: IS THAT SO WRONG?

bri
9/4/2006, 10:20 PM
Apparently, yes.

What, were you afraid you'd melt? :D

Frozen Sooner
9/4/2006, 10:21 PM
WERE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED??????

bri
9/4/2006, 10:23 PM
This thread is worthless without pics of Maximus.

Okla-homey
9/4/2006, 10:28 PM
Apparently, yes.

What, were you afraid you'd melt? :D

It had stopped raining by then.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/4/2006, 10:30 PM
So was there some historical artifact you was inspecting in the tunnel ;)

RacerX
9/5/2006, 06:38 AM
Sure he stopped in the tunnel to watch the end. Sure he did.