PDA

View Full Version : Girl sitting in front of me at the game (overheard)...

GottaHavePride
9/3/2006, 01:11 PM
heh. Before the game started the guy she was with said something about not having names on the jerseys. And she responded with "Yeah, I can't tell who any of them are now! Apparently some guy is number 28, because all they're selling is #28 jerseys. I'll have to figure out who that is."

PG and I just gave each other the "holy crap, how stupid is this person?" look.

critical_phil
9/3/2006, 01:25 PM
communications major?

just a guess.

Flagstaffsooner
9/3/2006, 01:28 PM
Did you tell her that was Antonio Perkins?

mdklatt
9/3/2006, 01:46 PM

I should have given that look to the people in my section who kept screaming, "Come on ref! That's a halo violation!"

:cool:

okienole3
9/3/2006, 01:54 PM
I hate watching football with people who are clueless. Sometimes I feel like a sports snob because my friends and I will look at each other and roll our eyes when somebody says something stupid.

mrowl
9/3/2006, 01:54 PM
Attn:

to the person sitting behind me that kept bitching out Mark Clayton..

what game were you watching?

Sooner47
9/3/2006, 01:59 PM
heh. Before the game started the guy she was with said something about not having names on the jerseys. And she responded with "Yeah, I can't tell who any of them are now! Apparently some guy is number 28, because all they're selling is #28 jerseys. I'll have to figure out who that is."

She was blonde, wasn't she? :D

GottaHavePride
9/3/2006, 02:01 PM
She was blonde, wasn't she? :D

Actually no, dark hair.

The other good one was when a dude behind us missed when we changed sides of the field for fourth quarter. So we line up for the first play of the 4th quarter, he sees us on the other end of the field and yells "Come on, defense!" I responded with "We're still on offense!" that one got a pretty decent laugh in the student section...

bri
9/3/2006, 02:11 PM
Ah, I miss the student section. I turned the entire section against one drunk frat boy one year during the aggy game. :D

Soonrboy
9/3/2006, 02:18 PM
I almost throat punched the guy sitting behind us...he actually booed our team. Booed them. I just leaned over to my son and told him that if I ever heard him booing the sooners, he would be disowned.

Jello Biafra
9/3/2006, 02:24 PM
I almost throat punched the guy sitting behind us...he actually booed our team. Booed them. I just leaned over to my son and told him that if I ever heard him booing the sooners, he would be disowned.

rofl. this is as good a time as any to bring this one back......:pop:

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19863

StoopTroup
9/3/2006, 02:25 PM
You could have been nice and gone and bought her a program...

Unless you would have had to include reading lessons...

That would be above and beyond the call of duty IMO. ;)

badger
9/3/2006, 02:30 PM
communications major?

just a guess.
MRS major.

Jimminy Crimson
9/3/2006, 03:29 PM
Was she hot? :D

okienole3
9/3/2006, 03:34 PM
I went over to some friends' house before the game and some guy I didn't know was talking about how the quarterback from Notre Dame was going to be handed the Heisman because of the fact that he played for Notre Dame. He was trying to convince everyone that they needed to root against ND for this reason. The qb's name........Brodie Croyle.

SoonerLB
9/3/2006, 03:46 PM
Back to the jersey thing, I would prefer having the names. Not being at the game, and watching it on TV, I had to rely on the announcers to identify players a few times. I know who a lot of them are by number, but not all, and with no program roster available to look at, I needed some help. I can blame some of it on being old, LOL, but I imagine there were lots of other fans in the same boat. Just my 2 cents. ;)

sooneron
9/3/2006, 03:53 PM
With all the number switcheroos, I was a little confused....

... and drunk

bri
9/3/2006, 04:04 PM
... and drunk

Heh. Here's the text message exchange between me and my friend Dawn after UAB got the field goal to take their lead:

Dawnie: Do some kind of dance, dude. Something to fix this!
Me: I thought you were the dancer?
Dawnie: Ha. Obviously not a very good one.
Me: I'll start drinking and see what that does.

(AD takes outlet pass from ENA, sprints 69 yards for game-winning touchdown.)

Dawnie: Drink. Drink. Drink.
Me: Heh. HOORAY, BEER!

So, as you can see, our key to success this year is for me to be drinking continuiously during our games. :D

proud gonzo
9/3/2006, 04:53 PM
heh

Duke o Brewery
9/3/2006, 05:33 PM

I've got you beat.

1. As the Steve Owens Heisman sculpture unveiling was wrapping up I heard a girl walking past ask "Who's statue is that?" and her friend responded "Thats a statue for Barry Switzer."

2. During the game when Soonervision played a short clip of The Boz telling the crowd to make some 3rd down noise, the girl next to me in the student section turned around and asked... "Who's that, the defensive coach?" I said "Thats the Boz!... Brian Bozworth!". She just stared blankly at me until I patiently educated her.

GottaHavePride
9/3/2006, 05:35 PM
You should have just just shouted "He's STONE COLD, byatch!"

boomersooner82
9/3/2006, 05:43 PM
I've got you beat.

1. As the Steve Owens Heisman sculpture unveiling was wrapping up I heard a girl walking past ask "Who's statue is that?" and her friend responded "Thats a statue for Barry Switzer."

2. During the game when Soonervision played a short clip of The Boz telling the crowd to make some 3rd down noise, the girl next to me in the student section turned around and asked... "Who's that, the defensive coach?" I said "Thats the Boz!... Brian Bozworth!". She just stared blankly at me until I patiently educated her.

That's bad, but I have one...

While Owens was talking, a girl asked me "Who's that guy talking?" I responded "That's Steve Owens." She said "Oh" pretending like she understood then leaned over to her boyfriend and asked "Who's Steve Owens?" Here's the kicker, he said he didn't know. The she suggested "Oh, like OwenS Field?" Boyfriend: "Yeah, probably."

Ugh

Duke o Brewery
9/3/2006, 07:08 PM
Sadly boomersooner82, thats one comment that I've heard people say OFTEN.

C'mon! OWENS Field???!!! Sometimes I really hate ignorant people.... and idiots.

Tulsa_Fireman
9/3/2006, 11:20 PM
So, as you can see, our key to success this year is for me to be drinking continuiously during our games. :D

*REEEEAAAL MEN OF GEEEENIUUUUUUS!*

Here's to you, Mr. Beer Drinking Sooner Touchdown Scorer Guy!

*Mistuh Beer Drinkin' Sooner Touchdown Scorer Guy!*

Some people enjoy a cold beer at their local alma mater, but you... Your efforts bring glory and fame to the University of Oklahoma on the sacred, hallowed gridiron. One beer, two beers, hell, make it forty seven. Texas is on the horizon, a national championship is on the line, and brother, your bulletproof liver wants a ring.

*Someone get me a barf baaaaaaag!*

Sponsors are calling. Hamm's likes your style. Old Milwaukee thinks you're going pro. Even Billy Dee Williams wants you to sign his foty of Colt .45. But not you, oh Invincible Imbiber of the I-Formation. Your heart is true, pure, and dedicated to floating that keg so AD can score his eighty-ninth rushing touchdown. In the second quarter.

*My spleeeeeen just exploded!*

So here's to you, Mister Maestro of Massacred Malted Barley. We'll hold your hair back. You just keep on chugging us to victory.

*Mistuh Beer Drinkin' Sooner Touchdown Scoooooorer Guuuuuuy!

:D

OUstud
9/3/2006, 11:36 PM
From Section 10 (not my usual seats, we had friends give us 2 extra so me and a friend sat there), there was this dude who did 2 things that were annoying as hell. First, when it was quiet, he'd hold up one finger and say "Boomer." like you would say "Marco." Then he called Adrian "AP", and my friend (an occasional poster on here) and I laughed and exchanged "Where can I get a Boomer Sooner ringtone?" jokes.

proud gonzo
9/3/2006, 11:41 PM
I got tired of correcting people my last year in pride about AP and AD. *sigh*

crawfish
9/4/2006, 09:24 AM
Sadly boomersooner82, thats one comment that I've heard people say OFTEN.

C'mon! OWENS Field???!!! Sometimes I really hate ignorant people.... and idiots.

Until I was around 10, I thought it was named after Tinker Owens. :O

fadada1
9/4/2006, 09:38 AM
see how foolish/ignorant SOONER fans can be???

now think what it's like on game day for the horns. surely, they "go to plaid" on the stupid comments heard in austin on saturdays.

OH, THE HUMANITY!!!

KYHonorarySooner
9/4/2006, 09:53 AM
It's is bad enough when people at a game or a tailgate know absolutely nothing about the reason they are there (the game) but what compounds the problem is that almost like clockwork they end up sitting in the row behind you and yell all game about why the coach won't do this or that or that he should bring the backup QB in. Definitely a pet peeve of mine... hella ****es me off.

Spray
9/4/2006, 09:58 AM
After reading all these stories it seems that on gameday our stadium is 50% full of idiots, bandwaggonners, and fair-weather fans.:D

SouthFortySooner
9/4/2006, 10:24 PM
Overcome with enthusiasm, I mentioned to my dad once that everyone in the state was watching this game. He says, son Eldon Suggs, (fellow lives down the road), doesn't even know there is a football team called the Sooners.

I guess my point is, when you get to looking at it there are more people outside the stadium than inside. Know what I mean?

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 11:34 PM
I hated sitting in the student section only because these are usually people who have no clue about football other than watching from the sidelines during their sophomore year in high school, which they did only because they thought it would look good on their transcript, which, when coupled with their Student Council positions and the other fourteen clubs they joined for no other reason than to show how many clubs a person can join in one year, would propel them into some sort of Joiner Hall of Fame, landing them large sums of scholarship money to be used at the university of their choice so they can attend college-level football games and begin to tell the crowd how lousy our team is playing due to their mastery of the game from their one year foray into football.

ouwasp
9/4/2006, 11:37 PM
This really happened.

Back in '78 (or '79) my Dad had a friend that gave us a couple of prime upper deck seats right on the 50... OU was playing Iowa State.

I was only 15, but I couldn't believe the stupidity. A couple of girls about my age were chatting away like nobody's business in front of us. In the middle of the second quarter one of them turned and asked "Which team is Oklahoma?:eek:

Upon pointing out the team which their own clothing proclaimed them as fans, the other one asked: "Which guy is Billy Sims?" :eek: :eek:

We should have tossed them off the deck, but they would have landed on some real Sooner fans.

Almost 30 yrs later...my Dad and I still talk about that.

GottaHavePride
9/4/2006, 11:42 PM
A couple of girls about my age were chatting away like nobody's business in front of us. In the middle of the second quarter one of them turned and asked "Which team is Oklahoma?:eek:

Upon pointing out the team which their own clothing proclaimed them as fans, the other one asked: "Which guy is Billy Sims?" :eek: :eek:

Had they been sitting in front of me, the only thing that would have stayed my wrath would have been if they were really, REALLY hot.

nativesooner
9/4/2006, 11:55 PM
There are a lot of "fans" who see a game as a social outing and don't have a clue who the players are. One guy behind us kept yelling "JOEY!! JOEY!! JOEY!! - They gotta put Joey Haslee in!! - JOEY!! JOEY!!"

Also in 01 or 02 we had a backup DE named Jones a big kid from southeast Oklahoma somewhere...He was warming up on the field in front of us and the lady behind me asked her husband "who's that Jones kid, he's a monster!" Her husbands reply, "well hell honey, that's Cedric, Cedric Jones, but I thought he graduated already, but I guess not though, he's good!!"

MiccoMacey
9/4/2006, 11:56 PM
Rombrose Jones from Bristow???

nativesooner
9/5/2006, 12:00 AM
I'm not sure could be...he was a big dude but I thought he was from somewhere around Ardmore or Ada...He didn't play much if any, but the husband was serious when he said Cedric..