PDA

View Full Version : 40 yard block in the back penalty

BermudaSooner
9/3/2006, 12:45 PM
on the punt return. Anybody have that clip? Stoops seemed to be making the same argument to the ref that I was to my dog. The guy ran in front of Lendy Holmes (I think), Lendy put up his arms and the guy falls down. It sure didn't look like a block in the back--and it cost us 40 yards--starting on our 20 versus their 40.

Anybody know the rule here? Can I just run in front of a blocker, have him run into me and get a block in the back penalty?

Cam
9/3/2006, 12:56 PM
That looked like a make up call more than anything else. They called the same thing on UAB on our punt before that, so they had to call it on us. Personally, neither one of them should've been called.

PalmBeachSooner
9/3/2006, 01:13 PM
I'm a HS football official in Dallas (DFOA) albeit sub-varsity, but I thought that was a bad call. Rule 9-3-3-c pertains. "A block in the back is illegal." Exception: 9-3-3-c-2. When a player turns his back to a potential blocker who has committed himself in intent and direction or movement." I think this applies in this case. The UAB player did not appear to be trying to reach the runner but instead was trying to create illegal contact. I really think this is a no call.

Flagstaffsooner
9/3/2006, 01:33 PM
The refs were practicing for the sand aggie game.

Statalyzer
9/3/2006, 02:12 PM
or maybe it was make-up call for the fumble.

StoopTroup
9/3/2006, 02:33 PM
A bad call...

Is a bad call...

Any Ref doing make up calls has no integrity.

Make up calls are the equivalent of throwing a game IMO.

I couldn't imagine walking off a field as a ref knowing if I had made up a call to equal things out...the other team might have won.

The Refs have a tough job. They should try to be fair by calling obvious fouls. If they are going to try to control a game they ought to call it tight in the 1st quarter so the teams can adjust.

tulsaoilerfan
9/3/2006, 03:59 PM
totally bogus call; the guy ran in front of Lendy and fell down; i didn't see the one called on UAB that was supposedly the same infraction, but if it was like that then it was bogus also