PDA

View Full Version : Parody in College Football (kinda long)

8timechamps
9/3/2006, 08:25 AM
A few years ago, I started to notice a trend in college football. There were the “powerhouse” teams that seemed to float near the top of all the major polls (OU among those), then there was this (numerous) grouping of teams that all seemed to be the same (parody). I thought it was just that athletes were getting bigger, stronger, faster and the recruiting world had expanded.

Then, as the seasons wore on, I realized there is so much parody in college football, and it’s not just because of the scholarship limit reductions.

Football is America’s sport. And there is so much that can be contributed to that. You can look at things like the growth of popularity in the NFL, Fantasy Football, and even video games. It seems that kids nowadays don’t just appear to be bigger, stronger, faster…they ARE bigger, stronger, faster.

When I was in high school (back in the 80’s), there was a “wall of fame” in my schools gym. Keep in mind, the “weight room” or “training facility” was the little room just off of the gymnasium (typically used to store everything from basketballs to wrestling mats). On this “wall of fame”, records were kept for the top “lifters” that had come through the school. At the time, the most recent addition to that wall had set a new record for bench pressing 225lb. Pretty damn good for a 17 year old kid.

That “kid” went on to play linebacker at OU. He wasn’t all American, or even all conference, but he was a solid linebacker. Unfortunately, he played during the Blake era. But, I digress.

I spend time at a local high school (here in Colorado), and they also employ the “wall of fame”, however, they don’t use the little room just off of the gym, the use the training facility most D2 or D3 schools would die for. The most recent addition to their wall was a kid that lifted 300lb. He graduated last year, and got one scholarship offer to a very small school here in Colorado. He was a pretty good football player, on a state championship quarter final team.

Interestingly enough, that same team sent 7 kids to play college football on scholarship. All but 2 now play at 1AA schools, and the two that play D1 won’t see playing time for a couple of years….and the schools they play for won’t have to worry about making BCS bowl travel plans (or any travel plans for that matter). One went to CUSA, and the other to the Mountain West Conference.

What am I getting at? How does this relate to OU?

I think the days of “running the table” are growing to an end. We saw it last year with TCU, again this year with UAB (thankfully, we got the win), but you need look no further than the University of Colorado to get the point.

How does a 1AA team (and not a good 1AA team at that) walk onto the home field of a D1, supposed semi-good team, and walk away with a victory? And what about Kansas State? They were lucky to end up with a win themselves. Again, to a 1AA opponent.

Don’t get me wrong, I do believe that there is an elite level of D1 schools that will continue to get the cream of the crop recruits, and continue to contend and./or play for national titles (OU being among those), but don’t be surprised to see teams like Rutgers, UConn, and Houston pop into the top 25 (and yes, the BCS) polls in the near future.

College Football is becoming less like college football and more like the NFL….”any given Sunday,”, is becoming “any given Saturday”.

OUHOMER
9/3/2006, 08:37 AM
couldn't agree more. Who was a few years ago San Deigo state that made a run? or Bosie State. When I was in high school we had some bar bells over in the corner, we only used them to kill time. now they have a very nice weight room.

Europasooner
9/3/2006, 09:24 AM
Parity is the word you are looking for. Parody would be making fun of football programs.

Ruuuuuufus
9/3/2006, 09:25 AM
ah... I was expecting a laugh :(

parody != parity

Nice post nonetheless.

OUmillenium
9/3/2006, 09:27 AM
Parity is the word you are looking for. Parody would be making fun of football programs.

Well said

AlbqSooner
9/3/2006, 10:25 AM
Switzer commented on the parity issue a few years back. If he had to deal with the scholarship limits, there were a number of stars he would not have been able to sign due to lack of available schollys. Most notable that comes to mind is Lucious Selmon. Switzer said that they would not have had a scholly for him and he would have signed with Colorado (Thanks to Eddie Crowder). That would have resulted in Leroy and Dewey following their brother to the mountains.