PDA

View Full Version : Brent Venables on the Sooner D:

SOONER44EVER
9/3/2006, 12:17 AM
Just heard Brent on the Sportsanimal. He said: Effort was great. Tackling was lousy. Positioning was lousy. UAB got 125 of their yards on 4 plays!

goingoneight
9/3/2006, 12:18 AM
Pretty much sums it up. Now, here's the challenge, keep the effort, do better on everything else. Seems easy enough, right?

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 12:22 AM
It all sounds correctable...

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 12:26 AM
They were over persuing and I have to wonder if it had alot to do with how slick the turf was tonight. Even Ru had a tough night.

AZSOONER
9/3/2006, 12:42 AM
Just heard Brent on the Sportsanimal. He said: Effort was great. Tackling was lousy. Positioning was lousy. UAB got 125 of their yards on 4 plays!
I agree with him:)

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2006, 12:49 AM
It all sounds correctable...

Yep. It is. Nothing I saw tonight that went wrong-and there was much less that went wrong than our neighbors to the south want to believe-was non-correctable.

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 12:52 AM
Yep. It is. Nothing I saw tonight that went wrong-and there was much less that went wrong than our neighbors to the south want to believe-was non-correctable.

Are you the old "Frozen" ???

Europasooner
9/3/2006, 01:03 AM
It's amazing that BV says exactly what I said in my previous post and I was villified for it.

Of course the guy who is repsonsible for that pursuit and tackling is BV. So he just indicted himself.

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 01:04 AM
troll alert....

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2006, 01:07 AM
Are you the old "Frozen" ???
Yep. :D

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 01:08 AM
Yep. :D

Cool, I apologize if I annoyed you earlier but you know how I am...you are a good man...

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2006, 01:36 AM
Thank you sir. And no worries. If I ever take true offense at anything on one of these interweb boards, I generally take a break of a week or two.

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 01:40 AM
OK, I just read your signature, maybe I should have paid attention before....

Texas Golfer
9/3/2006, 01:41 AM

I'd say that this was an honest and accurate evaluation.

Red October
9/3/2006, 10:45 AM
:pop:

zeke
9/3/2006, 10:55 AM
I'd say that this was an honest and accurate evaluation.

Yep

stoopified
9/3/2006, 10:59 AM
D is easy to play,just grab the guy with the ball and yank his a$$ down.I'm guessing there will be a LOT of yank his a$$ down practice this week.

rhombic21
9/3/2006, 11:11 AM
Venables needs to coach these guys on how to play the triple option and shotgun option. Remember how Texas A+M made us look silly with it last year?

A lot of it was poor fundamentals. Guys not being disciplined and filling their lanes. I saw a ton of over-pursuit and bad tackling. But a lot of it was also the fact that guys looked like they had no idea what their assignment should be on the triple option play, because they kept making the same mistakes over and over. And then on that triple option pass, there was nobody within 30 yards of the receiver, and we got bailed out by a bad throw, or it's a TD. And how many screen passes did they throw on us in long yardage? The defense looked totally unprepared to face UAB's offense, from an assignment point of view. I suppose that's better than the defense looking unathletic or slow, but it's still cause for concern.

King Crimson
9/3/2006, 11:15 AM
i agree with rhombic. bad tackling and i noted the resemblance to the inability to defend McGhee in the game thread.

Bruiser53
9/3/2006, 11:23 AM
I believe a lot of the success on the ground had to do with the fact that the defense probably didn't prepare for the T formation triple option very much in the weeks before the season. They kind of snuck that one on us and it took the d a little while to adjust and remeber pitch assignments and all that stuff. Seriously, people havn't run the T since like the 50s.

Blues1
9/3/2006, 11:32 AM
I believe a lot of the success on the ground had to do with the fact that the defense probably didn't prepare for the T formation triple option very much in the weeks before the season. They kind of snuck that one on us and it took the d a little while to adjust and remeber pitch assignments and all that stuff. Seriously, people havn't run the T since like the 50s.

Maybe our offense coaches should learn something from that...... ??

Still R'