PDA

View Full Version : Let's rip on ENA:

goingoneight
9/2/2006, 11:12 PM
Since he only passed 14/24 (nearly 60%) for 227 yards w/ 2 interceptions; one being the result of a wild tip-up ball. Ah, yes... we must really doubt him now. How many yards and touchdowns did Bomar throw for in his opener??? I don't remember us winning that one. I think folks need to realize the obvious, OUr D stunk it up... this was an adjustment game, and once again the so-called "pushover team" came to play and will no doubt be good in 2006. I was damn-impressed with him tonight. He can brush up on the basics and get better, but at least he passed well enough to continue playing and well enough to pass in the 2nd quarter (once again, see Bomar against Tulsa in 2005). He would have had a lot brighter stats had the recievers caught the easy strikes he threw. AD could have made a great run off of a dropped pass. So we're rusty, I don't see a single Big 12 team who opened against a better opponent today. Bob Stoops' teams get better with time, practice and repetition as you may have noticed.

Can I get a go ENA and a good BOO-MER-SOO-NER, eh?!?!?!

24-17, 1-0... and need to brush up a little as usual on Brent/BJ's D. Boy let's just bench them all!!!

tbl
9/2/2006, 11:14 PM
I agree that PT will be just fine, but don't go comparing a 5th year senior to a freshman. Just sayin...

bri
9/2/2006, 11:16 PM
Should have been three touchdowns; don't forget the drop we had in the end zone when ENA rolled out and threw a perfect strike on the dead run.

I mean, BOOOOOOO SUCKY QUARTERBACK!!! :D

SOONER44EVER
9/2/2006, 11:19 PM
I think PT did OK. I think he just needs to calm down a little. It seems like he really forces the ball and throws it too hard at times resulting in overthrows. He is excellent when passing on rollouts.

StoopTroup
9/2/2006, 11:20 PM
I'm glad we still had him to fall back on.

I do wonder how things might have panned out should Bob had to depend on a True Freshman or bring in a JUCO...

UAB went through 3 QB's tonight was my count.

Amazing.

bri
9/2/2006, 11:26 PM
This is what I love about ENA: Last year, he singlehandly took all of the scorn and blame for our 25-man f*ckup against TCU. He lost his starting QB job and saw three years of waiting and hard work swirling down the toilet. And what did he do? Did he whine and cry to the press, or have his daddy do it for him? Did he transfer to another school in a huff? Did he become a distraction, a malcontent, a cancer in the locker room? No. He went to the coaches and asked to be moved to wideout because he knew he could help this team. BECAUSE IT WAS BEST FOR THE TEAM. Then, coming into this season, after Bomar was...well, Bomar, and the coaches turned to him and said, "Um, yeah, so the guy we benched you for turned out to be an even bigger f*cktard than we thought he was. Wanna be our quarterback again?" Paul would have had every right in the world to tell the coaches (and the fans who turned on him) to p*ss off, and keep playing receiver. But what did he do? He agreed to move back, knowing that if we win, it'll be "in spite of him", and if we lose, it's all his fault. But he did it because it was good for the team.

Paul Thompson is my personal hero, win or lose. I'm proud this kid is a Sooner.

goingoneight
9/2/2006, 11:27 PM
Think we should put in the Rhomar kid? They say he's better than Rawls at this point...

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 11:28 PM
He needs to gain poise and confidence....

KYHonorarySooner
9/2/2006, 11:31 PM
ENA had a very solid game. Pick one was a hell of a play by the db undercutting the route and the ball should have mearly been batted away but he held it. Pick two was a tipped ball, you can forget about that. He was able to make plays in the pocket and out, with his feet and with his arm. Absolutely have to cut out the fumbles and the D has to come to play. If that happens and ENA maintains his level or improves slighty the boys will be JUST FINE. Anyone who blames the lack of a blowout on ENA was watching a different game. If the D causes more 3 and outs and limits the time the UAB offense is on the field then no doubt this game gets UGLY. Now... on to Week 2 and Washington!

SOONER44EVER
9/2/2006, 11:33 PM
ENA had a very solid game. Pick one was a hell of a play by the db undercutting the route and the ball should have mearly been batted away but he held it. Pick two was a tipped ball, you can forget about that. He was able to make plays in the pocket and out, with his feet and with his arm. Absolutely have to cut out the fumbles and the D has to come to play. If that happens and ENA maintains his level or improves slighty the boys will be JUST FINE. Anyone who blames the lack of a blowout on ENA was watching a different game. If the D causes more 3 and outs and limits the time the UAB offense is on the field then no doubt this game gets UGLY. Now... on to Week 2 and Washington!
The second pick was tipped because it was thrown way too high. He still had an OK game though.

MITSooner
9/2/2006, 11:34 PM
I was impressed with PT. He played as good as any QB should the 1st game of the season.

It's the Defense that has me worried. But it shouldn't take more than a practice or two to review the fundamentals of tackling.

All_Day_28
This is what I love about ENA: Last year, he singlehandly took all of the scorn and blame for our 25-man f*ckup against TCU. He lost his starting QB job and saw three years of waiting and hard work swirling down the toilet. And what did he do? Did he whine and cry to the press, or have his daddy do it for him? Did he transfer to another school in a huff? Did he become a distraction, a malcontent, a cancer in the locker room? No. He went to the coaches and asked to be moved to wideout because he knew he could help this team. BECAUSE IT WAS BEST FOR THE TEAM. Then, coming into this season, after Bomar was...well, Bomar, and the coaches turned to him and said, "Um, yeah, so the guy we benched you for turned out to be an even bigger f*cktard than we thought he was. Wanna be our quarterback again?" Paul would have had every right in the world to tell the coaches (and the fans who turned on him) to p*ss off, and keep playing receiver. But what did he do? He agreed to move back, knowing that if we win, it'll be "in spite of him", and if we lose, it's all his fault. But he did it because it was good for the team.

Paul Thompson will go down as one of the most loved and respected sooners of all time.

Flagstaffsooner

Paul Thompson is my personal hero, win or lose. I'm proud this kid is a Sooner.Super spek for Bri and PT.

rhombic21
9/2/2006, 11:40 PM
I really don't think that the score would have been any different with Bomar at QB.

The difference between PT's INTs and some of the ones that Bomar threw, is that both of PTs were good reads where a WR just didn't come up with the ball, and the DB makes a great play. He never really threw into coverage, and most of his balls were either right on target, or were at least put in places where the WRs had a chance to make a play.

sai
9/2/2006, 11:41 PM
Paul Thompson is a fuc*ing ninja.

Did you see those moves!?!? the near touchdown while being tripped, the completed pass while again being tripped, he's more than just agile, he really is an Ebony Ninja Assasin!

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 11:43 PM
I was actually quite impressed with PT's ability to make reads. Night and day from where he was in the TCU game. He needs to work on his accuracy, but I only saw one missed read the whole game (granted, I may have missed others) and he promptly came back to that guy on the next play.

He went through three or four options before he hit AD for the TD, by the way-either that or he's REALLY good at not staring down his receiver.

SoonerStud615
9/2/2006, 11:57 PM
inspiration stuck me from the game, so i cooked this up...enjoy :pop:

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/683/enawallze4.png

douxpaysan
9/3/2006, 12:06 AM
I got a chance to rewatch the '05 TCU game last night. There were some eerie similarities to the UAB game. Both opponents scored 17 points. Our defense played pretty well considering the surprising quality of UAB's offense. I think Venables should have put a spy on that slippery qb much earlier. Paul's play was much improved over the TCU game. I think Wilson did a much better job than Long of crafting ENA's duties to ENA. I think UAB's defense was at least as good as TCU's defense. Our offensive line may wind up a better line than what once was thought. Because they are so young that bodes well for the future(injuries and all bets are off).

AzianSooner
9/3/2006, 12:12 AM
I thought we had the secondary lock out?... dammm no

GrapevineSooner
9/3/2006, 12:16 AM
He's right up there with JW and Josh Heupel when it comes to class and handling himself.

Because of the reqson's Bri cited in his post, I will never critize ENA at all during the season. If he has a bad game, all will be forgiven because of what he's done for the program in the last year or so.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 12:16 AM
The second pick was tipped because it was thrown way too high. He still had an OK game though.
I don't totally disagree with you, but I saw four other passes hit the receiver in BOTH hands like the int you mention that were dropped or tipped.

I'd give Paul (all things considered) a B- or C+.

StoopTroup
9/3/2006, 12:17 AM
The receivers just didn't seem ready IMO.

ENA did OK in my book.

Rooster
9/3/2006, 12:19 AM
I thought he played great...The good thing is he will just get better...
The recievers need to help him out a little...

goingoneight
9/3/2006, 12:20 AM
he'll jel wit' em. D looked lousy with the over-pursuits. You don't blitz an option, people, wait for the execution, then tackle... that is, if we still know how to tackle... sheesh!

msteudem
9/3/2006, 12:20 AM
From beginning to end I think that ENA did what he needed to do in our first game for us to win. He didn't try to force things like RB. He made an amazing pass while being pulled down in which we picked up a 1st down. He was on fire early until receivers started dropping balls that were where they need to be. Iglesias tried to cradle the catch in the end zone instead of using his hands. Paul made a great running playing at the end and dove for the first only to have the ball called backed due to AD's holding call. ENA needs improvement needless to say but if everyone else gets in sync with him I think he will rock. By the way Joe Jon is awesome! He did everything tonight.

leavingthezoo
9/3/2006, 01:00 AM

i totally prematurely spek'ed you because... i would have so spek'ed you for this.

Wishboned
9/3/2006, 01:21 AM
When he completed that pass as he was being brought down I stood up and yelled.

I thought he was just getting rid of the ball to avoid the sack and BAM! First down.

It reminded me of Heupel.

By the end of this season there's going to be a lot of critics eating their words when it comes to PT. And I'll be glad to give them a fork.

Texas Golfer
9/3/2006, 01:43 AM
I think PT did OK. I think he just needs to calm down a little. It seems like he really forces the ball and throws it too hard at times resulting in overthrows. He is excellent when passing on rollouts.

A good analysis.

BajaOklahoma
9/3/2006, 06:46 AM

I still remember the interview with his dad last year after ***** took over as starter. An excellent example of how to handle yourself when things don't go your way. Both parent and son put the team first and realize that the job of a team member is do whatever it takes to make the team better. That was the moment that PT became my hero.
I hope that PT has a season that dreams are made of - this guy deserves it.

swardboy
9/3/2006, 07:13 AM
The AP summary of the game in my morning paper makes ENA's performance to be shakey and still a big question mark for Stoops....I love it. Let the world keep underestimating the kid. The most surprising thing about the game for me, aside from the defense's problems tackling, was the dropped passes. The receivers had said they were selling out for Paul this year...maybe they were too tense to do well for him.

IB4OU2
9/3/2006, 08:01 AM
Paul played well though he did overthrow wide-open recievers a couple of times and forced one throw for the interception down by the goal line, I was pleasently surprised. I feel a lot more confident about our Quarterback. :) Don't forget that there was a light drizzle/rain up to the end of the third quarter which didn't help with the passing. I'm glad I took my rain gear some folks up on the upper deck were miserable.

sooner-n-ga
9/3/2006, 08:01 AM
the ball will tend to sail on him and sailing balls across the middle tend to make you offensive guys to have to make tackles.

The offensive line was being whipped during the second and 3rd quarters.

The defense was average at best. When that QB was averaging 10 yards per carry, it's a cause for concern.

Our sooners will not beat Washington, Oregon, Texas, Texas Tech or A&M with another one of these type efforts !

I have sat back and watched you guys bash the sec and other conferences. Being a sooner fan from the southeast, I'll tell you that Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, LSU and possibly Mississippi would have beaten OU yesterday.

TripleOption14
9/3/2006, 08:16 AM
PT did what he was supposed to do. Manage the game, make a few plays, and don't put the team in a terrible spot. He gave away red zone pts. a couple of times but thats an easy learn. When he rolled out and was getting ready to get sacked and right before he went down rifled it to Joe Jon... that my friends was a brilliantly athletic throw!!

Boffingham
9/3/2006, 08:25 AM
I think the only problem with our defense is we play a little too confident some times. Early in the game, our defense would suck especially after we score a touchdown. The D needs to play like we are down by 30 and get after it. They'll be the best D in the nation when the season is winding down. Go Sooners

IB4OU2
9/3/2006, 08:29 AM
the ball will tend to sail on him and sailing balls across the middle tend to make you offensive guys to have to make tackles.

The defense was average at best. When that QB was averaging 10 yards per carry, it's a cause for concern.

Our sooners will not beat Washington, Oregon, Texas, Texas Tech or A&M with another one of these type efforts !

I have sat back and watched you guys bash the sec and other conferences. Being a sooner fan from the southeast, I'll tell you that Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, Alabama, South Carolina, LSU and possibly Mississippi would have beaten OU yesterday.

Don't forget Vandy n00b.....
:rolleyes:

sanantoniosooner
9/3/2006, 08:35 AM
i totally prematurely spek'ed you because... i would have so spek'ed you for this.
You can get help for premature spekulation.

MiccoMacey
9/3/2006, 08:35 AM

Yeah, but that's a mechanics and timing issue (and I honestly think it was more timing than anything). At least he made good reads. That's what matters the most. Timing and mechanics will come as he gets more playing time.

Prolly. I didn't get to see much of the first part of the game (Daddy duty with the kids last night).

True. But nothing about the way Bob Stoops making his team get better as the season progresses makes me worry about that too much right now.

See above

So would have Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Georgia Tech, etc...

What's your point? We didn't play well today? Those teams looked better?

I think our offense looked like a good offense that's going to become a really good offense down the road.

Our defense was on the field waaaay to much due to four turnovers, which I believe the offense will be able to rectify as the season progresses. That wears a defense down. Including going back on defense after a one or two play drive when AD breaks it open for a TD. Look at the time advantage and you can see why they were a little gassed.

They need to improve, and I think they will. Our defenses always do.

PalmBeachSooner
9/3/2006, 08:47 AM
He needs to gain poise and confidence....

He will get better. I believe that. It didn't seem like to me that he was going through his progressions on his reads. He dropped back and let go even though he wasn't under pressure. I thought he could have been a little more deliberate.

I'm just not sure how the defense explains giving up 17 points and looking totally lost and confused.

freshchris05
9/3/2006, 09:40 AM
yeah so our front four was awesome... it looked like a jail break every play... the qb was shifty tho but not every quaterback will be so i see alot of sacks... and PT was awesome i mean its the first game and all the timing and poise and everything else you guys are saying will come with more reps, i mean he is a 5th year senior true, but he also only played in situations where we were winning by at least 5 tds... experience and real-time game experience is a hell of a lot different, i dunno if some of you knew that??

Boomer Sooner and uh... F*ck Texas

Egeo
9/3/2006, 09:49 AM

i dont see any of those teams running the option... so im not worried.

Bccajun
9/3/2006, 10:39 AM
I see us fans still hoping he will be a good QB for us, but when you look over the stats the UAB QB was all around better than our 5th year guy. I for one hope he improves with each game. With each over/under/behind thrown ball will hurt us against quality teams.

Don't get me wrong here he made some wonderful plays for the team and picked up the W. Oregon game was a close one until the end and this one was too. I hope he can pull off the W from 2 scores down late in the game.

Passing CP-AT YDS TD INT RTG
Sam Hunt 9-15 149 1 0 165.4

Paul Thompson 14-24 227 2 2 148

Rushing ATT YDS AVG LG TD
Sam Hunt 15 65 4.3 12 0

Paul Thompson 4 6 1.5 8 0

stoopified
9/3/2006, 10:49 AM
Ithink ENA played well especially considering he spent the last year at wr.If he had played like that last year we would have beat TCU.Remember our recievers dropped 5 passes.Yeah that one osky was thrown high but the reciever got both hands on it.Every coach I ever had from pee wee on up said if you can get both hand on the ball you should catch it.

Blues1
9/3/2006, 11:19 AM
IMHO - Brady Quinn didn't look all that wonderful yesterday - Nor did ND....

We are a young team over all - I think PT and the rest of the team will show tons of improvement as the Season goes on....I also think UAB is a much better team than most think and the whole season will show this to be true - unless injuries wipe them out - which could happen to any team in a 12 game season...

What all of us saw yesterday from all teams could change in a blink of the eye - a injury here or there - A few bad calls - any team can go down fast or can come roaring up -Lets take it one game at a time....I do know one thing we are going to score on some long punt returns & kickoffs this year and that might just be the key to some of our games....

In the mean time - 110% Behind PT.......

KEEP R'

Ash
9/3/2006, 12:32 PM
I see us fans still hoping he will be a good QB for us, but when you look over the stats the UAB QB was all around better than our 5th year guy. I for one hope he improves with each game. With each over/under/behind thrown ball will hurt us against quality teams.

Don't get me wrong here he made some wonderful plays for the team and picked up the W. Oregon game was a close one until the end and this one was too. I hope he can pull off the W from 2 scores down late in the game.

Sam Hunt 15 65 4.3 12 0

Meh. marginally better statistically except in rushing. PT made plays with the pass in the first half when called on and led the team. That right there answered one of the biggest questions concerning his ability to QB this team. Consistency and deep passing needs to improve, but hopefully that comes with time. Hunt (UAB QB) undoubtedly played well, congrats to him.

bri
9/3/2006, 12:54 PM

Sam Hunt 15 65 4.3 12 0

Nice stats. Our guy won, though.

Ground_Attack
9/3/2006, 02:06 PM
and OUr guy had AD to hand the ball off to instead of running around like a greased monkey every other play. PT did fine.

Jack T.
9/3/2006, 02:09 PM
At least PT didn't "grow up before our eyes"

rogcoley
9/3/2006, 07:02 PM
Remarks similar to “team A or team B” would have beat you today are right up/down there with “if the season ended today”. What I’m trying to say is they are drivel !!!! Thompson played very well and made some mistakes. As did A.D. the defense and special teams. We’ll improve. Hit the panic button when it’s time to hit the panic button. I.E. when the plane is on fire and crashing into Billy the Mountain and his wife Ethel. Not when there is minor turbulence.

Jason White's Third Knee
9/3/2006, 09:34 PM
Should have been three touchdowns; don't forget the drop we had in the end zone when ENA rolled out and threw a perfect strike on the dead run.

I mean, BOOOOOOO SUCKY QUARTERBACK!!! :D

He's black, so we need to run the option. He is not smart enought to throw the ball. He can't help the blackness. We would have won that game if he wasn't so black.

douxpaysan
9/3/2006, 11:08 PM
I understand the gameplan was to keep things simple. Some have suggested it was to hold things back for the UO and UT games. The inexperience of both the offensive line and PT would be closer to the truth. I wanted to see more Qb designed running plays as I know what a weapon that will become. But I will patiently(cough cough)wait as I did last year for things to develop.

kelloggOUballa
9/3/2006, 11:25 PM
I got a chance to rewatch the '05 TCU game last night.

man, some opportunities you just gotta turn down! ;)

rhombic21
9/4/2006, 02:34 PM
Every play that involved PT as either a runner or passer:

http://www.zshare.net/video/paul-thompson-uab-wmv.html

TrophyCollector
9/4/2006, 03:32 PM
I think PT was very solid, solid enough in fact that as long as AD stays healthy we should have a chance to win any game we play.

Had he hit MK wide open in the middle of the end zone it would have been a very good performance and we'd have won by 10+ points, most likely more.

Had he hit MK and Iglesias holds on in the corner, he has 4 TDs, we win by 28+ and everyone outside of Norman goes back on suicide watch.

That's how close I think he is, and I also think he'll get there.

Lots of folks ripping on the D, and I agree that we've seen better. But let's look at the bottom line, they held the other team to 17 points despite the offense putting them in a couple of bad spots with turnovers.

Were the sloppy? yes. Miss tackles? yes. Outcoached by a great gameplay? YES.

But, they made some key stops and held the opponent to 17. Anytime they hold the opponent to 17, the offense needs to go win it. Last year they couldn't, this year they did.

douxpaysan
9/4/2006, 03:35 PM
man, some opportunities you just gotta turn down! ;)
It helps me put yesterdays game in perspective. Beat down the dawgs...