PDA

View Full Version : Triple Option (Rant)

OU Adonis
9/2/2006, 10:44 PM
Ok, I will admit, I love the triple option and the wishbone. A lot of guys on here like to give me a hard time because I think its a great offense STILL.

Well, what do you guys think about UABs Split T option they were running tonight? I mean, if you think the wishbone was 20 years outdated, Bud ran the split T in the 50s.

Anyways, just food for thought. Never discount any offense or scheme, its all about the execution.

RedstickSooner
9/2/2006, 10:49 PM
I like option play.

I was mortified when I saw PT run the option, and show that he was (apparently) totally unable to read and execute it properly. Holding onto the ball like that when AD was trailing him perfectly just made my stomach clench up into a tight little ball of mortified frustration.

Perhaps we can install some kind of radio-operated electrode that Wilson can hit when Thompson needs to pitch the ball out, and go ahead and include some option plays (since we have such great athletes to run the option with).

Would such a device be permissable under current rules?

OU Adonis
9/2/2006, 10:53 PM
Its a lot harder to run a good option game as far as reads go than most people think. Your right, Paul isn't much for an option QB. UAB's guy, while not as speedy, knew when to turn it up or when to toss it.

OUTromBoNado
9/2/2006, 11:14 PM
Post reported.

Serious posts or posts that makes sense are not allowed on this message board.

Joking aside, I totally agree. It is all about execution. However, the comibnation of size and speed in the defenses of today prevent some offenses (i.e., the wishbone) from really being run effectively.

OU Adonis
9/2/2006, 11:23 PM
Still... They ran the SPLIT T about a dozen times tonight.

I mean, I haven't seen that run since NCAA 2006 :D

Desert Sapper
9/2/2006, 11:42 PM
It's an old offense, but if you run it right, it works well...especially against an aggressive D. You have to play reaction and assignment D against the triple op. They definitely game planned our aggressiveness...and umm...poor tackling.

soonerhubs
9/2/2006, 11:47 PM
I recall The King correcting an announcer when they called the option and the Wishbone outdated. He said they are as effective as before, you just have to find the players to buy into the scheme. I agree.

rhombic21
9/2/2006, 11:55 PM
Don't forget that if the QB properly executes that option pass, we're all sitting here talking about how ****ed we are that we lost or got taken to OT by UAB.

UAB's entire offense was an option offense. Even in the shotgun, they were basically running triple option type plays, with a few screens and QB draws thrown in to catch us offguard.

Our DEs and LBs did a miserable job of handling it, and we have some of the best athletes in the nation. I don't think you can make a coherent argument that speed kills the triple option. Teams that are disciplined and can tackle well kill the triple option. Teams with speed and athleticism that don't play disciplined or tackle well continually get made to look like fools, as our guys had happen to them tonight.

goingoneight
9/2/2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah, but when your defense has a succ day and the other team can bomb TD's left-and-right, you need a good passing game. I say option in the redzone.

Desert Sapper
9/3/2006, 12:02 AM
I think discipline might just be OUr biggest problem on both sides of the ball. Poor tackling, lack of execution, not staying home, missed assignments, fumbles, tip-drills to INTs, dropped passes, poor routes, offsides, etc. I'm hoping that changes as the year goes on. Right now, Joe Jon and AD look great. We need better play from almost everybody on D and OUr entire receiving corps.

TripleOption14
9/3/2006, 12:50 AM
What did i do!!!!???!!!! I just wanted to watch the game!! :eek: :)