PDA

View Full Version : Obligatory "Will The Pollsters Drop Us?" thread

bri
9/2/2006, 10:34 PM
I think it's a pretty safe assumption that the AP voters will decide to completely discount UAB as a worthy opponent with a history of playing major conference teams close on the road and will instead focus (rightly so, mind you) on the 4 turnovers and defensive struggles. Cal got prison raped on Rocky Top, which opens up the #9 spot, but don't even think about that. It's a given that whoever wins the Florida State/Miami game Monday night will leapfrog us into that spot. The real question becomes, do the voters keep us at #10, or do we get punished for winning "ugly"?

Sub-question: Do they do the same to Beloved Notre Dame for doing the same. :D

nanimonai
9/2/2006, 10:35 PM
Notre Dame will be tied with Notre Dame for the top spot.

OUinFLA
9/2/2006, 10:37 PM
Cant ND move up ahead of whoever is #1?

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 10:37 PM
I think we'll stay top 10...

Wishboned
9/2/2006, 10:44 PM
I think they switch Tennessee with Cal and leave OU at 10.

bri
9/2/2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I don't think Tennessee gets jumped up that far. They probably land somewhere from 10-15. Hopefully, we don't get dropped, but I'm not sweating it if we do. As always, all we have to do is take care of business and it won't matter. And if we DON'T take care of business...it won't matter. :D

Widescreen
9/2/2006, 10:49 PM
Based on tonight performance, I'd say we're a bit overrated. But it was only the 1st game. We'll know more after next week.

tbl
9/2/2006, 10:49 PM
Exactly bri. Let em drop us... If we keep winning, and ESPECIALLY win against Oregon and moreso saxeT, we'll have nothing to worry about.

ND won uglier than we did, but they'll still be drooling all over them. Fine. The catholics WILL end up losing, most likely 2-3 games. The ND lovefest will end before the year is over (or rather it will be quieted down until next year).

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 10:54 PM
ND did not look that good...way over ranked...again...

bri
9/2/2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah, the only reason Notre Dame wasn't the most overrated team to start the season is because Cal was SOMEHOW #9. :D

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen an entire "program" built around almost winning a couple of games...

goingoneight
9/2/2006, 11:46 PM
I say if OU drops, it's less than two. But usually, even an ugly win keeps you atop. Remember Hook 'em versus Booger Pickin' State last year? That performance should have left Vince Young in the polls, and Texas somewhere around #20.

SoonerDood
9/2/2006, 11:49 PM
Yeah, the only reason Notre Dame wasn't the most overrated team to start the season is because Cal was SOMEHOW #9. :D

Seriously, I don't think I've ever seen an entire "program" built around almost winning a couple of games...
You must spread some reputation around before giving it to bri again.

SOONER44EVER
9/2/2006, 11:50 PM
Cal drops below us and the winner of Miami-Fla. St. passes us and we stay where we are IMO.

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 11:53 PM
At this point in the season, I am just not that concerned about rankings...

rhombic21
9/2/2006, 11:58 PM
ND was playing a top 25 team from a major conference, on the road, in the season opener. That's a little different than a home opener against UAB.

SOONER44EVER
9/2/2006, 11:59 PM
ND was playing a top 25 team from a major conference, on the road, in the season opener. That's a little different than a home opener against UAB.
GT is ranked?

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 12:01 AM
Forget ND they will lose 2-3 games this year if not more...

rhombic21
9/3/2006, 12:02 AM
GT is ranked?
Hell, I guess they aren't. I thought they were in one of the polls.

NDIrish
9/3/2006, 12:22 AM
Hell, I guess they aren't. I thought they were in one of the polls.

They are still better than UAB.

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 12:25 AM

We won't know unless they play...but is ND better tha UAB, that is the question...

sooneron
9/3/2006, 12:25 AM

And yet, we are not the annointed team. YOu guys looked painfully average tonight. Be glad you got the win. We will too.

Big Red Ron
9/3/2006, 10:27 AM
I think the whole "ND could lost to GTech" crap was like a preemtive move to make ANY victory, even one as lame as the one they had last night, into a, "See, ND rocks." argument. Maybe we should have put out word that UAB has thirty seniors ans a great front seven.

Ike
9/3/2006, 11:00 AM
ND's win will be seen by the pollsters as "overcoming adversity"

OU's win will be seen by the pollsters as "working out the kinks with a new QB" at best...which is enough for them to justify dropping us in the polls.

I've seen this exact same scenario (but with different teams) a brazillian times.

stoopified
9/3/2006, 11:02 AM
I think we will drop about 5 spots.

zeke
9/3/2006, 11:18 AM
I'm not in a panic mode yet. But, if I were a pollster I would have to drop us some. I saw some bright spots in the defense but overall I am very disapointed in it. I am glad we were facing UAB & not someone else.
PT was pretty darn good. AD is AD. I wonder why we went away from some stuff that seemed to work. But a win is a win & I'll take it!
We will be fine & the only polls that really matter will come early in 07