PDA

View Full Version : Based on Tongiht's Performance, Cotton Bowl and 8-3 Record is Realistic Goal

Europasooner
9/2/2006, 10:04 PM
Flame Away, but if you take off the crimson colored glasses, the Sooners have become a better than average football team. Here's why:

1-O LINE-too soft and cannot block at the point of attack. Pass protection seemed adequate, but it is hard to tell against a mid-major program like UAB.

2-OFFENSE-It looked a little better than the Chuck 3rd&Long era, but only a little better. Everyone will say that Stoops was holding back plays for later use. That's crap, he almost lost his second opener in as many years. Someone need to tell K Wilson to run the sweep more. Peterson plays better in space. He never got that running inside.

3-DEFENSE-Undisciplined and poor tacklers. Some call it over-aggressiveness, but the real name for it is undisciplined play. The tackling is poor.

4-COACHING STAFF-Whatever has happened, the team has lost it's swagger when they cannot dominate against a medicore mid-major team like UAB.

The good news is that the Sooners haven't fallen as far as to lose to a 1AA opponent(Colorado losing to Montana State) or playing within a point of a 1AA opponent (K State beating Illinois State 24-23).

Book your tickets to Dallas for New Years 2007, if 8-3 can get a Cotton Bowl bid with two likley losses in the Big 12.

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 10:06 PM
Oh God, you knew it was coming...

Egeo
9/2/2006, 10:07 PM
last years team lost the opener and finished 9-3 and bowl winners

we'll improve!

bri
9/2/2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah, we should just give up now.

mildpussy
9/2/2006, 10:10 PM
there is a motion to collect threads like these here - i 69th that motion

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76916

OUinFLA
9/2/2006, 10:12 PM
Can we just accept the CB bid now and not chance injuring any players?

nanimonai
9/2/2006, 10:12 PM
Was this a post from the 1999 opener? 2000 opener? 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006?
Unless this is your first OU game you should be well aware that we always stink it up in the first game.

Wishboned
9/2/2006, 10:14 PM
I just cancelled my hotel room in Glendale.

Game over man. Game over.

UABinBHM
9/2/2006, 10:17 PM
Wrong wrong. You cant give up on your team or lower your expectations. In case you forgot, you WON. Of course it's not really conceivable to you that UAB's maybe a little better than what the experts say. It's a first game with a "new" QB for you guys... new rule (regarding the clock), etc etc. If you think OU is just "better than average," you're kidding yourself. Dont sell your team short.

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 10:19 PM
Psst.

12 games this year, sparky.

nanimonai
9/2/2006, 10:19 PM
Wrong wrong. You cant give up on your team or lower your expectations. In case you forgot, you WON. Of course it's not really conceivable to you that UAB's maybe a little better than what the experts say. It's a first game with a "new" QB for you guys... new rule (regarding the clock), etc etc. If you think OU is just "better than average," you're kidding yourself. Dont sell your team short.

Ask around about The Monster...

OKC-SLC
9/2/2006, 10:21 PM
It's gonna be hard to win 8 games, since i'm pretty sure Bob and Joe C are gonna just go ahead and cancel football indefinitely.

bri
9/2/2006, 10:25 PM
It's gonna be hard to win 8 games, since i'm pretty sure Bob and Joe C are gonna just go ahead and cancel football indefinitely.

It's the right thing to do, really. All that money they'd waste on football can go to build the kind of swimming and diving program that can one day maybe compete with the likes of Texas and Stanford.

Football is SO 2000, anyways. Anyone who's anyone is into curling anymore.

goingoneight
9/2/2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I hear wrestling is the new thing, anyway.

nanimonai
9/2/2006, 10:31 PM
Well if we replace football with curling we'd better win that first match 120-6 or we're going to have to cancel that too.

OUinFLA
9/2/2006, 10:35 PM
Well if we replace football with curling we'd better win that first match 120-6 or we're going to have to cancel that too.

"The Monster" applies to curling too?

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 10:37 PM
"The Monster" applies to curling too?

Really, how much ice can a Canadaman sweep?

bri
9/2/2006, 10:39 PM
If a Canadaman could sweep ice?

Europasooner
9/2/2006, 10:43 PM
Just as I thought, all the comedians came out in force, but no one wants to address the issues. This program has peaked out and being good is the best we can, now, expect.

Anyone have any rational discussion that they might offer as opposed to the sophomoric attempts at humor.

I stand corrected on the 12 game schedule, but I stand by the 3 losses in 2006.

OUinFLA
9/2/2006, 10:46 PM
Explain to me how I can help the program by addressing the issues?
You think Ive really got Bob's ear or something?

This is just a message board for goodness sakes. It is for entertainment purposes. Having been an OU fan for over 50 years, I have been through several years of "just being good". Yep, they suck, but Im still gonna make the best of being a fan.

I see real possibilities for getting a jump on a curling team before the other Big XII schools think of it.

Frozen Sooner
God, it's a horrible world where the best you can hope for is good.

I don't accept your proposition that 8 or 9 and 3 is the best we can do this year. We do have some issues, but many of them are correctable. I wouldn't be surprised by three losses, to be sure.

Then again, three losses isn't the end of the world. We had a down year last year. We may have another this year. There's talent in the system and they're developing. The only area in which we're really behind the eight ball is at QB-but there's some interesting stuff going on behind the scenes that might just work out pretty well for us.

leavingthezoo
i have some rational discussion to add... but first i have to find a thread that is worthy of it. :D

Wishboned
9/2/2006, 10:48 PM
Anyone have any rational discussion that they might offer as opposed to the sophomoric attempts at humor.

This was supposed to be a rational discussion?

You were serious?

I think judging a team based on the first game of the season is the height of irrationality.

bri
9/2/2006, 10:49 PM
i have some rational discussion to add... but first i have to find a thread that is worthy of it. :D

Then I hope you have another OU board bookmarked or else your sh*t outta luck, lady. ;)

bri
9/2/2006, 10:50 PM
Just as I thought, all the comedians came out in force, but no one wants to address the issues. This program has peaked out and being good is the best we can, now, expect.

Oh, I'm sorry we disappointed you.

No, wait. No I'm not.

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 10:52 PM

Go home sophomoric Texas fan.....

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 10:53 PM
Don't you love it when the 38 post n00bcake jumps on a message board and demands that the board post the way HE wants?

Not that there's anything wrong with a 38-post n00bcake. Some of them are really nice people. It's just odd that someone would come to THIS board, post something, then get all upset because people here act like they always do.

Post about how someone has a life and can't spend 24 hours a day posting on message boards that probably works the word "losers" or even more likely "loosers" in somewhere coming in 5...4...3...2...

hurricane'bone
9/2/2006, 10:54 PM
I heard Bob likes to kick puppies.

bri
9/2/2006, 10:55 PM
I just love it when anyone gets p*ssed at me for not taking A F*CKING GAME seriously, n00b or not.

I mean, read the South Oval sometime. I don't take our impending nuclear armageddon serious; what makes you think I'm gonna get all furrowed-brow-y over a seven point WIN over a scrappy team with nothing to lose? :D

OUinFLA
9/2/2006, 10:56 PM
You can spend 24 hours posting????
When do you ever sleep?

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 10:57 PM
I just love it when anyone gets p*ssed at me for not taking A F*CKING GAME seriously, n00b or not.

I mean, read the South Oval sometime. I don't take our impending nuclear armageddon serious; what makes you think I'm gonna get all furrowed-brow-y over a seven point WIN over a scrappy team with nothing to lose? :D

agreed....

StoopTroup

OK...

I'm rationally going to ask you which 3 games we will lose?

List away.

:pop:

olevetonahill
Didnt we win ?

OUinFLA
9/2/2006, 10:58 PM
Yes we won, we still have a chance for a perfect season.

leavingthezoo
9/2/2006, 11:00 PM

nuclear armageddon isn't really serious until it's no longer impending. then it's seriousness rachets up by like... lots. FYI. :D

soonerhubs
9/2/2006, 11:02 PM

Would you quit calling ours sophomoric. It's 8th grade and/or Junior High Humor so Deal With it!

Peaked out? Are you kidding me? The first game is rough and it's all down hill from here? You wouldn't have made it through an ingrown toe nail, let alone two ACL surgeries.

olevetonahill
9/2/2006, 11:02 PM
Yes we won, we still have a chance for a perfect season.
What I thot :D
Now im gonna go give the Cats some support :cool:

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 11:04 PM
OK...

I'm rationally going to ask you which 3 games we will lose?

List away.

:pop:

Meh. Based on just today's performance, I think we'll lose to Oregon, Texas, and possibly the Sand Aggies.

However, I'm not conceding a damn thing and I don't think it's anywhere out of the realm of possibility that OU wins all three.

bri
9/2/2006, 11:06 PM
Didnt we win ?

Yes, but WE SHOULD HAVE WON MORE GOODER, DAMMIT!!!

:D

StoopTroup
9/2/2006, 11:10 PM
See....

Rationally I'm worried about Washington right now.

What I like about tonight was that no matter how our overall performance was...

We found a way to win.

I'd like to think we are going to light up Washington next week, but I thought we would light up UAB tonight.

I had no idea that the Defense would struggle as badly as they did.

The Offense was about what I expected with 24 points.

I thought the Defense would post a shutout...thus I lost all my Vcash on OUr Sooners not making the spread.

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 11:12 PM
^
That's a good post. I mean, Stanback is a better QB than the guys UAB rolled out tonight.

One week at a time. You can't win a game on October 7th on September 9th.

Gandalf_The_Grey
Flame Away, but if you take off the crimson colored glasses, the Sooners have become a better than average football team. Here's why:

1-O LINE-too soft and cannot block at the point of attack. Pass protection seemed adequate, but it is hard to tell against a mid-major program like UAB.

2-OFFENSE-It looked a little better than the Chuck 3rd&Long era, but only a little better. Everyone will say that Stoops was holding back plays for later use. That's crap, he almost lost his second opener in as many years. Someone need to tell K Wilson to run the sweep more. Peterson plays better in space. He never got that running inside.

3-DEFENSE-Undisciplined and poor tacklers. Some call it over-aggressiveness, but the real name for it is undisciplined play. The tackling is poor.

4-COACHING STAFF-Whatever has happened, the team has lost it's swagger when they cannot dominate against a medicore mid-major team like UAB.

The good news is that the Sooners haven't fallen as far as to lose to a 1AA opponent(Colorado losing to Montana State) or playing within a point of a 1AA opponent (K State beating Illinois State 24-23).

Book your tickets to Dallas for New Years 2007, if 8-3 can get a Cotton Bowl bid with two likley losses in the Big 12.

How was the O-Line overwhelmed. First of all, do you honestly think this team if going to be running up the middle alot. NO. Quentin Griffin was good up the middle because he was small and could fill gaps. AD is more of a quick counter, hit the edges type back. Was it bad play calling? Maybe but you don't understand what Kevin Wilson's agenda is. We got down 3...How long did we stay down? Kevin Wilson is trying to instill an attitude with these offensive line. I would bet all next week they are going to be questioned about their heart and their ability to dominate at the point of attack. YOu have to realize that all of the Line is basically youngsters...They have talent..they have to learn little things.

How did we almost lose a season opener? I don't think at any point was I afraid? UAB played their heart out but you could tell they ran out of gas towards the end of the game. Has it ever occurred to you that in today's college football..the only way you are going to route a team is to schedule a Bad MAC-level team or D-II. Teams have so much talent now a days. The way the rules with rosters have changed over the years will limit the "super" teams. Look at USC...more talent than ANYONE in the country and they are struggling with Arkansas.

The defense will get alot better as they play teams that are more predictable. It's alot easier to defend a Tech type team, than a team that might come out and throw 40 times or run the option. Name one defensive team under Venables that has gotten worse as the season progresses. Look at OU against TCU last year and against Oregon at the end and tell me if this coaching staff doesn't know how to teach and make their players better.

And what is Medicore!! Did you not watch UAB play...how many missed tackles did you see from them? How many busted assignments? This team played a strong, discliplined game and deserves credit and not your ridicule.

Who in the Big XII is just SO much better than us? Boo Blake beat North Texas so don't EVEN act like Texas's victory over North Texas is high water mark for the Texas program.

Also, you aren't a Sooner fan, first of all because A) a real Sooner fan would never admit we can't beat Texas

OUinFLA
..thus I lost all my Vcash on OUr Sooners not making the spread.

StoopTroup
Mounting the Yinka

vCash: 200

your credibility is slipping. take less loritabs.

Frozen Sooner
9/2/2006, 11:13 PM
Look at USC...more talent than ANYONE in the country and they are struggling with Arkansas.

While I agree with most of your post, you may want to check that USC score again.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/2/2006, 11:17 PM
oh hell, struggling for 3 quarters can't be erased by running up the score on the piggies late ;)

Europasooner
9/2/2006, 11:27 PM
Don't even try to equate UAB with Arkansas. A better comparison would be UAB and North Texas or UAB and Northern Illinois or UAB and Marshall.

bri
9/2/2006, 11:28 PM
yeah, don't equate UAB with Arkansas.

UAB is better.

soonerhubs
9/2/2006, 11:31 PM
Did NickZepp get a lap top and go to Borders again?

Ike
9/2/2006, 11:32 PM
Don't even try to equate UAB with Arkansas. A better comparison would be UAB and North Texas or UAB and Northern Illinois or UAB and Marshall.

Is this you?

http://www.laughforfree.net/images/Debbie_Downer.jpg

Soonerus
9/2/2006, 11:33 PM
Euro obvious troll....

soonerhubs
9/2/2006, 11:41 PM
Euro obvious troll....
A mod needs to put a little troll oil on this thread and get that noise out of here.

Ash
9/2/2006, 11:41 PM
Euro obvious troll....

My thoughts exactly. Europatrash is just trying to start crap. The game had some unexpected twists. Some problems? Yes Some bright spots? Hell yes. So what? One game doesn't make a pattern, or a trend, or anything that matters except:

Chalk one up in the W column and bring on the Huskies.

Oh yeah, and I AM SO HAPPY COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS BACK BABY!!!!!!11!1!1
BOOMER F'IN SOONER!

Desert Sapper
9/2/2006, 11:57 PM
I think UAB looked great tonight. They played their hearts out and never quit. Their D is stellar. I saw smart play, I saw athletic play, and I saw a strong D line. UAB looked great, and it wasn't because we sucked. It was because they are a good mid-major (wouldn't be surprised if they won C-USA) and they were playing like no tomorrow. The biggest problem we have so far is OUr receivers. Can anybody other than f***ing Joe Jon catch the rock? Oh, and I think we need to pull the 'Program' football game to clear up that fumbleitis. I think Bob can deliver the 'you'll wish you were never born' line at least as good as James Caan. We play with a few less turnovers and...well... Belittling a tough mid-major like UAB is ridiculous. TCU took this same criticism last year, and they only lost one game the whole year.

tulsaoilerfan
9/3/2006, 01:25 AM
Was this a post from the 1999 opener? 2000 opener? 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006?
Unless this is your first OU game you should be well aware that we always stink it up in the first game.
Anyone remember Vandy in 77? 25-23 and that was one of Switzers best teams that didn't win a NC

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 01:31 AM
Anyone remember Vandy in 77? 25-23 and that was one of Switzers best teams that didn't win a NC

Yes, I was there and Vandy had a FG attempt on the last play of the game to win...they missed, it was about a 53 yarder but scary as heck...

Texas Golfer
9/3/2006, 01:37 AM
While I'm not ready to give up on our team just yet, I'm also not going to rag on Europa for his opinion.

If we play every game like we played tonight, a three-loss season is not unreasonable. However, I expect we'll improve on tonight's performance.

wishbonesooner
9/3/2006, 03:41 AM
"Anyone remember Vandy in 77? 25-23 and that was one of Switzers best teams that didn't win a NC"
I was at a game with Vandy when we had to have a blocked punt and runback by Barry Burget to win. I thought it was like 79 or 80 tho.
We need to tackle better on D, everything else will work itself out.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/3/2006, 08:37 AM
Flame Away

When your post starts with those two words...the chances of *********gery are multiplied by 565

stoops the eternal pimp
9/3/2006, 08:39 AM

hmmm....Wonder what you thought in 2000 when we trailed a very mediocre Kansas team in the 2nd quarter 16-10....or only beat 4-7 OSU 12-7.....Or was that the season before you kept up with OU football?

r5TPsooner
9/3/2006, 08:59 AM
In all honesty, considering what happened regarding two starters being dismissed, I wouldn't be all that disappointed with a Cotton Bowl bid.

Of course, I hope that we have bigger fish to fry so to speak.

Egeo
9/3/2006, 09:45 AM
i wouldnt call uab's defense stellar, but they did play well
if it wasnt for the turnovers, we would have routed them... terrible possesion time and all.

stoopified
9/3/2006, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I hear wrestling is the new thing, anyway.Beer wrestling?Where do I sign up?

SoonerGM
9/3/2006, 11:33 AM
ok, i can see your point that there are some things that the team can improve on. what i am not understanding is this. dont you think they can improve the imperfections?? they have been starting the seasons kind of shaky for quite some time now, and have improved to be quite formidable every year. i dont understand the gloom and doom. most of what needs to be worked on is some of the basic fundamentals such as, timing between QB and WR(imagine that with only having a few weeks to practice at QB), tackling by actually grabbing on to a jersey or body instead of just bouncing off, and catching balls that hit you in the hands.

cs6000
9/3/2006, 11:36 AM
I have a sidebar question: Why is this poster an ignorant know-nothing because he had only 38 posts?
I'll have to see after posting, but that's probably about what I've got, although I've watched this board regularly since 1997 or so. (have re-registered twice) I'm also an alum, and have been to many, many games.
I don't post much because I don't know everything that goes on within the program, and have no reason to consider myself more of an expert than anyone else.
Another reason is the blow down this guy has gotten. I know no one wants to be negative, but he should be able to air his worries without the "seniors" calling him a stupid freshman?

sooneron
9/3/2006, 11:37 AM
You can spend 24 hours posting????
When do you ever sleep?
Well, you'd be missing the early bird, for sure!;)

Frozen Sooner
9/3/2006, 12:37 PM
I have a sidebar question: Why is this poster an ignorant know-nothing because he had only 38 posts?
I'll have to see after posting, but that's probably about what I've got, although I've watched this board regularly since 1997 or so. (have re-registered twice) I'm also an alum, and have been to many, many games.
I don't post much because I don't know everything that goes on within the program, and have no reason to consider myself more of an expert than anyone else.
Another reason is the blow down this guy has gotten. I know no one wants to be negative, but he should be able to air his worries without the "seniors" calling him a stupid freshman?

Actually, it was pretty clearly stated that he wasn't an ignorant know-nothing because of only having 38 posts. He's an ignorant know-nothing for only having 38 posts and expecting everyone to change the way they post because he doesn't like it.

OUinFLA
9/3/2006, 03:01 PM
Actually, it was pretty clearly stated that he wasn't an ignorant know-nothing because of only having 38 posts. He's an ignorant know-nothing for only having 38 posts and expecting everyone to change the way they post because he doesn't like it.

http://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthup.gifhttp://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthup.gifhttp://images.zeroforum.com/smile/emthup.gif

sooneron
9/3/2006, 03:10 PM
Sunce when has rational discussion taken place on SF.com?

sooneron
9/3/2006, 03:20 PM

I think UAB overall is a decent team with some players. They aren't all world, but they executed well.
THIS WAS THE FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON!!! Add to that, a re-tooled line that lost one of it's starters (the idiot's buddy)as two a days started. Two guys are coming back from injuries. They need a little time to get used to playing with one another, then , trust will take over and the guys can focus on their assignments. This is the first line in a while where I feel like we have some people in the right spots- no shoe horning D Joseph into Guard for example.

I think the playcalling overall was pretty good, I believe that you'll find that most other people agree with me.
True, Peterson does play the sweep well, but I can also think of a few instances ,four runs to be exact , where he took long runs to the house from 70+ against ostate off tackle.
And just so you know, (this may be tough b/c it is inherent in coaching) but you have to hammer the middle against teams in order for the corners to be there to be exploited. It's called common sense.

Hello Captain obvious.

I'm not calling off the year just yet.
Sorry to hear you're feeling all jumpy atop the bandwagon.

Octavian
9/3/2006, 04:09 PM
This program has peaked out and being good is the best we can, now, expect.

1981: 7-4-1
1982: 8-4
1983: 8-4

Even great programs under the best of head coaches go through lulls.

If this is one of those stretches, then it is what it is. There's a lot of programs that'd die for a 9-3 season to be considered a "down" year.

We just won our home opener a month after losing our franchise quarterback.

Right now....we're 1-0, ranked in the Top10, have the best running back in the country, and have some pretty sharp defensive coaches w/ a lot of talent to work with.

chill.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 04:13 PM
1981: 7-4-1
1982: 8-4
1983: 8-4

Even great programs under the best of head coaches go through lulls.

If this is one of those stretches, then it is what it is. There's a lot of programs that'd die for a 9-3 season to be considered a "down" year.

We just won our home opener a month after losing our franchise quarterback.

Right now....we're 1-0, ranked in the Top10, have the best running back in the country, and have some pretty sharp defensive coaches w/ an a lot of talent to work with.

chill.

10 bucks says that this guy is looking up who the coach was in 81-84.

bri
9/3/2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, SNAP!! :D

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2006, 04:32 PM

If this bugs you be sure to remember not to try and sell something over on the Swap Board. :rolleyes:

Vegas Vic
9/3/2006, 04:33 PM

Always, since 2005.

1999: OU 49 Indiana State 0
2000: OU 55 UTEP 14
2001: OU 41 North Carolina 27
2002: OU 37 Tulsa 0
2003: OU 37 North Texas 3
2004: OU 40 Bowling Green 24
2005 OU 10 TCU 17
2006 OU 24 UAB 17

sooneron
9/3/2006, 04:36 PM
Always, since 2005.

2005 OU 10 TCU 17
2006 OU 24 UAB 17
I guess you didn't watch the TU game? We looked like crap for about 2.5 quarters.
NT wasn't so hot all the way through either.

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2006, 04:37 PM

No way . . . UAB is head and shoulders above those teams you listed.

Vegas Vic
9/3/2006, 04:38 PM
I guess you didn't watch the TU game? We looked like crap for about 2.5 quarters.

The outcome of the game was never in question in the 2nd half of those two games. Can you say the same thing about the 2005 and 2006 openers?

sooneron
9/3/2006, 04:38 PM
UAB is LOADS better than (P)uNT. That's just laughable.

Egeo
9/3/2006, 04:39 PM
i thought we looked good against NT

against bowling green.... offense looked good

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2006, 04:39 PM
While I'm not ready to give up on our team just yet, I'm also not going to rag on Europa for his opinion.

If we play every game like we played tonight, a three-loss season is not unreasonable. However, I expect we'll improve on tonight's performance.

Pffft . . . if we play every game like Saturday's and win 24-17 I'll be stoked. :P

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 04:40 PM
Just waste Europa and start over, he must be Nick's father...

Vegas Vic
9/3/2006, 04:50 PM
No way . . . UAB is head and shoulders above those teams you listed.

I don't understand the major strokefest for UAB. I understand psychologically that it makes everyone feel better to pump up the opposition in a game that goes down to the wire, but the reality is that they were a 5-6 team in a piece of crap conference (Conference USA), and they finished in last place in their division. If that had been Oregon or Texas last night, it would have been a massacre.

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2006, 04:52 PM
I don't understand the major strokefest for UAB. I understand psychologically that it makes everyone feel better to pump up the opposition in a game that goes down to the wire, but the reality is that they were a 5-6 team in a piece of crap conference (Conference USA), and they finished in last place in their division. If that had been Oregon or Texas last night, it would have been a massacre.

What's so hard to understand? If they play the rest of the season like they did last night they'll give anyone a run for their money. Forget about last year.

Vegas Vic
9/3/2006, 04:56 PM
What's so hard to understand? If they play the rest of the season like they did last night they'll give anyone a run for their money. Forget about last year.

I see. So in his 10th year at UAB, I guess this is the year that Watson Brown will start to chip away at that 86-136-1 career record.

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2006, 05:02 PM
I see. So in his 10th year at UAB, I guess this is the year that Watson Brown will start to chip away at that 86-136-1 career record.

You gotta start somewhere . . . listen, if you're already so discourage come on up to Aggieville. The Poke fans are soooo excited about beating Missouri State. :rolleyes:

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 05:26 PM

Whats so hard to understand? Tulsa 2004 4-8, Tulsa 2005 9-4... TCU 2004 5-6, TCU 2005 11-1...

Mid Majors do this every stinkin year thats why they are Mid Majors. You are judging them by our standards. They aren't dangerous because they win every game, they are dangerous because they scare the living crap out of every team they play against. There is a reason they ask "Is this the year a MidMajor goes to the BCS?"

UAB isn't a top 40 team, but they are a mid major who is better than 90% of the openers this weekend.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 06:01 PM
The outcome of the game was never in question in the 2nd half of those two games. Can you say the same thing about the 2005 and 2006 openers?
No, but playing poorly is playing poorly.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 06:08 PM
I don't consider it a strokefest- I have readily admitted that we didn't execute in many phases of the game. That being said, UAB showed up to play (unlike unt) and they had an actual gameplan. I bet they looked at the past two atm games against us and saw something, cuz it was like deja vu all over again.

I guess you're being all knowing, since a team can't possibly improve from one year to another as uab might. Maybe they should call off their schedule for good since they went 5-6 last year. It WILL only get worse, right? Hell, that is the m.o. of the mid majors, they fluctuate b/c of parity as Bob said.

:rolleyes:

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/3/2006, 06:13 PM
Always, since 2005.

2005 OU 10 TCU 17
2006 OU 24 UAB 17

Another thing, you look at and have to take into account with the opener...they were all sluggish in the opener. Now you say why are the scores not as high. In 99 Leach's offense was playing a HORRIBLE team that even OsU could have beaten by at least 4 tD's. 2000 we had the same qb and lots of experience(this team was just awesome). The North Carolina game was close all the way through...why inexperience QB. Tulsa was really bad in 2002 but the first half wasn't very pretty...but we had an experienced QB. 2003, North Texas game we didn't look sharp at all but then again we had a qb coming of two knee surgeries but he had an experienced o-line and receivers. 2004, Bowling Green was very competitive but we also had a returning heisman at QB. 2005, We play one of the few 10 win teams in the country and with HUGE inexperience on the line and qb lead to trap game. UAB gets to face an inexperienced line and qb. So to recap

1999: OU 49 Indiana State 0 Worst Team...Baylor probably beats them 49-0
2000: OU 55 UTEP 14 Returning best qb in country
2001: OU 41 North Carolina 27 Hybl's first game
2002: OU 37 Tulsa 0 Really bad Tulsa team
2003: OU 37 North Texas 3 North Texas not that good and White coming back from knee surgery, tons of o-line and wr experience
2004: OU 40 Bowling Green 24 Returning Heisman qb, still struggled
2005 OU 10 TCU 17 Dunderhead fumbles 18 times
2006 OU 24 UAB 17 ENA plays VERY solid for "1" month of training

Notice something, when we routed teams in the second half...they were either horrible or we had a great qb back or lots of experience. Did any of these scenario's present themselves?

sooneron
9/3/2006, 06:15 PM
Actually, the NC game didn't get interesting til the second half when we went into our shell and they scored 21 unanswered points.
We jumped ahead of them, HUGE.

Europasooner
9/3/2006, 06:33 PM
Many posters who responded say that the Sooners will get better as the season goes on. I think that could be said about any team. Texas will get better. Oregon will get better. Missouri will get better, etc. etc. So that does not hold water that only the Sooners have the potential to improve.

Also, I have been a Sooner fan for years and have been registered with this board for quite a long time. Just because I don't post or respond to some of the silly posts on this board does not mean that I an a newby to OU football or this board. And, how is that relative to ones opinion anyway? The number of posts don't make you smarter which is apparent by some of you that have a number of posts.

The bottom line is that the team was not as good as advertised. They were not a top ten team yesterday and will likely not be this season unless there is radical improvement. UAB was an average team, but not as good a one as some of you are making them out to be.

bri
9/3/2006, 06:44 PM
Duly noted. Now crawl back under your rock, n00b.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 06:47 PM
Where's that Jon Helander post?

Anaxamander
9/3/2006, 06:48 PM
I guess I'm just an eternal optimist. I saw a lot of promise in last night's game.

Gandalf_The_Grey
9/3/2006, 06:49 PM
Was the OU team last year a Top 10 team against TCU? What did they beat to end their season? Was it a Top 10 team? And do you realize how bold you have to be to say a team will likely not be a Top 10 team? I would be willing to bet that around 70-80 teams in D-1 in the last 20 years havent' been in the Top 10. You can be hell of a team and not be Top 10. The truth also is that MOST teams don't get better. They start to have key injuries and they adjust to them. OU is in the process of adjusting to a new scheme...new qb...new center...and young guys on the o-line learning the little things you have to ACTUALLLY play to learn. OU's biggest problem yesterday was on the defensive side...That WILL be fixed. You can take that to the bank.

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2006, 06:51 PM
Many posters who responded say that the Sooners will get better as the season goes on. I think that could be said about any team. Texas will get better. Oregon will get better. Missouri will get better, etc. etc. So that does not hold water that only the Sooners have the potential to improve.

Also, I have been a Sooner fan for years and have been registered with this board for quite a long time. Just because I don't post or respond to some of the silly posts on this board does not mean that I an a newby to OU football or this board. And, how is that relative to ones opinion anyway? The number of posts don't make you smarter which is apparent by some of you that have a number of posts.

The bottom line is that the team was not as good as advertised. They were not a top ten team yesterday and will likely not be this season unless there is radical improvement. UAB was an average team, but not as good a one as some of you are making them out to be.

:eek: :( :mad: :pop: :) :texan: :hot: :pop: :rolleyes: :)

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 06:52 PM

First of all, while it is true that this team will get better and so could every other team, you should be aware that we did play a better team than every other team you mentioned. Yes UAB is better than Stanford, and UNT, and the D1AA Mizzou played. You don't seem to want to give this team credit for coming out and playing a tougher team than everyone you are comparing them to.

Secondly, because you don't post often does make your opinion worthless. Imagine for a second that you are standing at your daughters wedding, with your friends and family and some jackass walks up to you that you don't know and says "you're daughter is uglier than any bride I have ever seen, she looks worse than her pictures." I don't know you, and because of that I really don't care for you bitching about the team I love for no better reason than to flame.

The bottom line is, we don't care what you have to say. If you really feel that we aren't a top 10 team, thats fine. But until you say have something worthwhile to say, keep your unfounded, and pessimistic opinions to yourself.

Desert Sapper
9/3/2006, 07:15 PM
Maybe we should quit now because we only beat UAB by the same margin that Tennessee did last year. Tennessee sucked last year. UAB lost 4 games (including @ Tennessee) by a TD or less. They lost two by 1 point each. Their final game of the season, they lost by 8 @ ECU. So, conceivably, that 5-6 team could have probably very easily gone 11-1 with a win over Tennessee in Neyland Stadium to their credit. They were hardly the crappy team in a crappy conference they are getting labeled as.

As for their D, that LB (Mastaki Smith) is on the same Butkus watch list this year as Ruuufus and Zach Latimer. I thought Orlandus King played better. The kid they have on the Hendricks/Lombardi Award watch lists (Larry McSwain) was out for violating team rules, but Jermaine McElveen played like he should be on those lists.

OUr receivers looked sloppy, we had some fumbleitis, and OUr defense struggled to make tackles (and react to the triple option). If even one of those things gets fixed by the Washington game, we blow the Huskies out of the water. The talent is there, the coaching is there, and the leadership is there. We just need to stop f***ing up so much.

I'm sick of people calling UAB a crappy this or a s***ty that. They were a sharp, well-coached team that played really hard on Saturday night. 'Nuff said.

Vegas Vic
9/3/2006, 08:49 PM
I guess you're being all knowing, since a team can't possibly improve from one year to another as uab might. Maybe they should call off their schedule for good since they went 5-6 last year. It WILL only get worse, right?

It's not just last year. It's been that way for 10 consecutive seasons there with Watson Brown, with each year being "this is the year", so I guess we can just add that one to the chorus.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 09:45 PM
This has nothing to do with what Brown has done in the past. I am talking about what I saw Saturday night. And that was a team that executed pretty well and pulled the qb switcheroo that seems to be effective against us. They showed up, that is the fact. We didn't execute. Can you not agree with that?

sooneron
9/3/2006, 09:55 PM
Some past gems by europa-

I know that I will get flamed, but I am going to go ahead and write my thoughts anyway.

I think AD has regressed from the player he was last year because of the hype that is always surrounding him. ...

Blake always maintained that Bob Stoops won using John Blake's recruits. I used to think that was crap, but after watching this season, he might have been closer to the truth than we are willing to...

Under Chuck Long, the Sooners have NEVER had an offense. They have been successful running plays and have put up numbers, but they have no system. Their is nothing that they can hang their hat on. ...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/search.php?searchid=231427&pp=25

Europasooner
9/3/2006, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=The bottom line is, we don't care what you have to say. If you really feel that we aren't a top 10 team, thats fine. But until you say have something worthwhile to say, keep your unfounded, and pessimistic opinions to yourself.[/QUOTE]

If you don't care what I have to say, then when you see my name beside the post, then simply pass it by and don't read it.

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 10:02 PM
If you don't care what I have to say, then when you see my name beside the post, then simply pass it by and don't read it.

I said worthwhile... let me guess you can't read either.

bri
9/3/2006, 10:03 PM

Yeah, but it saves us so much time scrolling if you just, you know, go away. :D

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:03 PM
Europainintheass....

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 10:05 PM
Euroloser...

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:06 PM
Euroobvioustroll...

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 10:10 PM
Euro*********...

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:11 PM
Europunk....

Readyfor8
9/3/2006, 10:12 PM
Eurotrash...

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:13 PM
Euroghey

sooneron
9/3/2006, 10:14 PM
Euroghey
That's redundant:texan:

Sooner_Bob
9/3/2006, 10:14 PM
Oh boy . . .

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:15 PM
That's redundant:texan:

Good point...

Euroweirdmutha....

soonerhubs
9/3/2006, 10:20 PM
Euron my Ignore list, and that makes me happy. :D

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:22 PM
Eurohorn or Europatheticaggie....

sooneron
9/3/2006, 10:28 PM
Euron my Ignore list, and that makes me happy. :D
Ooh, good idea, I took his advice and your's.:D

bri
9/3/2006, 10:29 PM
Quitters. ;)

sooneron
9/3/2006, 10:30 PM
Quitters. ;)
You're next, focker!:cool:

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:30 PM
Eupopartypoopers...

bri
9/3/2006, 10:34 PM
You're next, focker!:cool:

Dude, you may as well delete this place from your bookmarks if you do that. I MAKE this place! ;)

sooneron
9/3/2006, 10:36 PM
Dude, you may as well delete this place from your bookmarks if you do that. I MAKE this place! ;)
You going to the UW 'gate?

I may be there almost as long as the last one I went to.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 10:37 PM
With a measly 3500 posts??? Pshaw noob!Q:texan:

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 10:38 PM
You going to the UW 'gate?

I may be there almost as long as the last one I went to.

Eurosuckup...

bri
9/3/2006, 10:38 PM
Heh. "Hey, who was that blur?" "I think it was that Ron guy." ;)

Sadly, I'm gonna have to take a pass on Ewe-Dub. I'll be lucky if I make it down any this year, but I'm currently gunning for either CU or sand aggy.

sooneron
9/3/2006, 10:40 PM
The missus and I will be down yonder for yon sand aggy.

bri
9/3/2006, 10:43 PM
sand aggy it is, then. I'll actually have a second nanosecond to thank you for the stack o' goodness from last time. ;)

josh09
9/3/2006, 11:16 PM
holy crap dude its the first game. i think we looked fine, we were just unlucky it wasnt 38-17 because of those 2 dropped passes. sure, we have to work out some kinks. but all team do after the first game.

Soonerus
9/3/2006, 11:17 PM
Euronotta****tin....

josh09
9/3/2006, 11:24 PM
and you never know, UAB could turn out like last years TCU.