PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the Sam Adams "Brewer Patriot" beers?

GottaHavePride
9/1/2006, 09:21 PM
I saw a box at the store as I was purchasing a few fizzy lifting drinks for the tailgate, so I bought it. Any thoughts?

King Crimson
9/1/2006, 09:21 PM
not a fan of Sam Adams, to be honest. good, not great beer.

Newbomb Turk
9/1/2006, 09:27 PM
not a fan of Sam Adams, to be honest. good, not great beer.

exactly - why mess around with that expensive stuff when there's Natty Light?

http://desmoinesregister.com/sports/basketball/men/cyclones/art/coach4.jpg

tbl
9/1/2006, 09:28 PM
I like some of their brews (Cream Stout, Boston Lager, Heffweizen), but they have some nasty ones too (Scotch Ale, Summer Brew).

All in all, Sam Adams is one of the beers I trust most.

GottaHavePride
9/1/2006, 09:42 PM
Hmmm. Ratebeer.com wasn't crazy about any of them, although the George Washington Porter seemed to rate the highest out of the four.

Of course, the guys reviewing stuff over there are true beer snobs - one of the highest rated beers I've seen over there is Sam Adams Millenium - very high alcohol, very dark, and $200 a bottle.

King Crimson
9/1/2006, 10:08 PM
for the mass production micros in the 6-8$ range i'd always buy Red Hook, New Belgium, or Sierra Nevada over Sam's. or Fullers ESB.

if i'm $$$, always German beers or Scotland's Belhaven's Best in the 4 pack widget cans.

GottaHavePride
9/1/2006, 10:20 PM
for the mass production micros in the 6-8$ range i'd always buy Red Hook, New Belgium, or Sierra Nevada over Sam's. or Fullers ESB.

if i'm $$$, always German beers or Scotland's Belhaven's Best in the 4 pack widget cans.

I like New Belgium, but they don't ship to Oklahoma. You can't refrigerate high-point beer in Oklahoma, and they won't ship anywhere they can't refrigerate it. Plus, they're running at capacity last I heard.

And typically the German/Belgian beers are my favorites, but I'm not shelling out $10 for four bottles to share. ;)

PG's bringing some Newcastle and I'm bringing some of the Sam Adams Summer Ale. (Hey, it sounds like a beer I'll like. And if it's ****, there's probably someone that actually likes Keystone out there that'll think it's awesome. ;) )

hurricane'bone
9/1/2006, 11:21 PM
I lub Sam Adams. With my whole body....even my pee-pee

Beano's Fourth Chin
9/1/2006, 11:24 PM
I'm bringing half a case of FatTire tomorrow.

I also have a little henry that might go well.

I tried a couple of the sam patriot things a few weeks ago. I got it over at that shop on berry and (main?)... It was decent. Too pricey. Kinda fun if nothing else.

r5TPsooner
9/2/2006, 12:17 AM
Although I don't drink like I used to, I did stroll into the liquor store and purchased some Moose Drool Summer Ale today. It looked good, so I'll be trying somethin new tomorrow. Hopefully it tastes halfway decent.

MiccoMacey
9/2/2006, 02:12 AM
I don't drink beer.

When we moved into our new house, I bought those that helped us move in a case (there were only three others).

They left three in my fridge; they're still there. That was almost a month ago.

GottaHavePride
9/5/2006, 10:59 PM
My reviews so far:

Traditional Ginger Honey Ale

not bad. Light beer with a sweet ginger-y flavor in the background. I would probably buy this one if they packaged it separately. Pretty decent summer beer.

1790 Root Beer Brew

I was expecting something that tasted like a microbrewed root beer (like I might find at River City Brewery in Wichita - good stuff) except alcoholic. What I got instead was like skunky Fat Tire with a manky licorice/anise taste in the back. Sucks hard. Oh, and I realize it's unfiltered, but that does NOT mean there should be giant chunks of crap floating in it when you pour it out. Nasty. As much as it pains me to admit, I took about three drinks of this and poured the rest out.

I'll try the other two when I can handle the potential disappointment again.

proud gonzo
9/5/2006, 11:52 PM
rootbeer brew was aspects of some beers that i don't like and the aspects i don't like about rootbear smacked together in displeasing liquid form.

GottaHavePride
9/13/2006, 12:10 AM
James Madison Dark Wheat Ale

This stuff is a home run. Reminds me of a Chimay Red Label; not quite as good as a Blue Label or a Franziskaner dark. I would buy this stuff by the case. Aftertaste starts to get a bit strong by the end of the glass, but otherwise I have no complaints, as this is a solid take on my favorite kind of beer. http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gifhttp://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

BeetDigger
9/13/2006, 12:41 AM
I'm bringing half a case of FatTire tomorrow.

I also have a little henry that might go well.

I tried a couple of the sam patriot things a few weeks ago. I got it over at that shop on berry and (main?)... It was decent. Too pricey. Kinda fun if nothing else.

Can you get Henry in Oklahoma or Texas? I have never seen it here. Colorado is as far west as I have seen it. Good old Hanks.

GottaHavePride
9/18/2006, 11:30 PM
George Washington Porter

OK, I don't normally like porters. In fact, I thought Fuller's London Porter was one of the worst beers I had tried at the time. Way too much coffee flavor.

This is a good beer, though. Not as good as the Dark Wheat Ale, but pretty good for a porter. It would make a good fallback beer for when you run out of Guinness. Well, if you were crazy enough to let something like that happen, anyway...

Summary: Run far, far away from the Root Beer Brew. Horrible. The rest of these beers were worth a try.

SoonerInKCMO
9/18/2006, 11:35 PM
It took you two weeks to get through a case of beer?? Sissy.

;)

GottaHavePride
9/18/2006, 11:38 PM
Actually I tried the last one several days ago, and just forgot to post about it. And I've been too busy even to drink. Well, too busy to drink at home, anyway. ;)

JohnnyMack
9/19/2006, 12:17 PM
OK, I don't normally like porters. In fact, I thought Fuller's London Porter was one of the worst beers I had tried at the time. Way too much coffee flavor.

You are officially dead to me.