PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors/Jammers

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 01:58 PM
I'm listening to a radio commercial for a police radar/laser jammer, and they brag about it being illegal in eight states. I've always wondered: Why aren't radar detector thingies illegal in every state? They have no legitimate (i.e. legal) purpose.

:confused:

royalfan5
9/1/2006, 02:02 PM
Because you have western states that love screwing with the Man, like Montana that allowed open containers in vehicles until last year I believe.

OUDoc
9/1/2006, 02:03 PM
Probably because they claim to be used only to help you spot police radar so you can make note of your speed. Protects you from the abuse of The Man. Or some crap like that.

Edit: Jammers -I have no idea.

Jimminy Crimson
9/1/2006, 02:03 PM
They have no legitimate (i.e. legal) purpose.

Sure they do - to let you know where the cops are when you're trying to get somewhere! :D

Boomer.....
9/1/2006, 02:05 PM
I have always had a radar detector, whether I speed or not.

Hamhock
9/1/2006, 02:07 PM
I've heard the rationale "If I know there are police in the area, I'll be on the lookout for obstacles, emergency vehicles, accidents, etc." At one point, larger cities were gonna broadcast alerts besides just speed radar.

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:08 PM
Because you have western states that love screwing with the Man, like Montana that allowed open containers in vehicles until last year I believe.

But in this case the states are the Man....

This is apples and oranges with the open container law. Just because there's an open container in your vehicle doesn't mean you're the one drinking, but the only purpose of a radar detector is to assist you with breaking the law.

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:09 PM
Edit: Jammers -I have no idea.

That's to protect us from the corrupt 99%....

:pop:

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:10 PM
I've heard the rationale "If I know there are police in the area, I'll be on the lookout for obstacles, emergency vehicles, accidents, etc."

And some guys only read Playboy for the articles. :D

royalfan5
9/1/2006, 02:11 PM
But in this case the states are the Man....

This is apples and oranges with the open container law. Just because there's an open container in your vehicle doesn't mean you're the one drinking, but the only purpose of a radar detector is to assist you with breaking the law.
Montana has a problem with self-loathing though. The state is the man, but they hate themselves because of it.

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:11 PM
Montana has a problem with self-loathing though. The state is the man, but they hate themselves because of it.

:D

Jimminy Crimson
9/1/2006, 02:13 PM
...the only purpose of a radar detector is to assist you with breaking the law.

I'm just excersizing my car! :cool:

Vaevictis
9/1/2006, 02:16 PM
Civilian jammers for sure are illegal (in 100% of cases, or very nearly so) under federal law. The FCC isn't going to grant a license to broadcast on the radar frequency for the purpose of jamming.

(ever read the FCC compliance statement on your average household RF item? "This device must accept any interference..." etc? Same principle).

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:18 PM
Civilian jammers for sure are illegal (in 100% of cases, or very nearly so) under federal law. The FCC isn't going to grant a license to broadcast on the radar frequency for the purpose of jamming.

I was wondering that, too. A detector is passive, but a jammer is sending out energy.

yermom
9/1/2006, 02:21 PM
i still need to pick up a Valentine One... the one 'gator had a few years ago was SWEEET

but i've gone this long without one, i'm not really sure i need one...

and it baffles me that they are not illegal, but i guess it just means that no one has thought it was important enough to ban?

and Montana is the same place that had roads with no speed limits recently :eek:

jamming does seem like you are asking for it though

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.jammersstore.com/

Nowadays, detection technology used by police has gotten more and more advanced. Speeding tickets have become virtually unavoidable. That's why jamming devices are inevitable.

I guess the idea of not speeding never occurred to them. :rolleyes:

This is interesting: http://www.jammersstore.com/p_photo_blocker_covers.htm

It prevents a readable photograph of your license plate.

yermom
9/1/2006, 02:26 PM
that photo blocker thing is pretty cool...

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2006, 02:26 PM
waste of money

BeetDigger
9/1/2006, 02:29 PM
http://www.jammersstore.com/

I guess the idea of not speeding never occurred to them. :rolleyes:

This is interesting: http://www.jammersstore.com/p_photo_blocker_covers.htm

It prevents a readable photograph of your license plate.

I always want to cut off people who have those on their cars. It's basically saying to the world "I spent $39 so that I can run through the toll booths without paying and they are not going to catch me". In essance, the guy is saying how stupid I am for being a law abiding citizen and paying my toll.

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:29 PM
that photo blocker thing is pretty cool...

It looks pretty easy to defeat. If the police can get an accurate description of the car from the photo it wouldn't take much to figure out the illegible characters.

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 02:31 PM
I always want to cut off people who have those on their cars.

I can see a legitmate use for those, like if you're worried about security or privacy. There are lots of cameras around that don't belong to law enforcment. Radar and laser guns? Not so much.

BeetDigger
9/1/2006, 02:33 PM
I can see a legitmate use for those, like if you're worried about security or privacy. There are lots of cameras around that don't belong to law enforcment. Radar and laser guns? Not so much.

I think that you are reaching with that one. I don't doubt that there COULD be legit reasons for having it, but I doubt THOSE were what caused the guy to buy it.

yermom
9/1/2006, 02:36 PM
i'd be more worried about the red light cameras in places or airplanes or something

i'm not about to run tolls... there are too many other ways to get caught :eek:

Ike
9/1/2006, 02:42 PM
I like to carry around my own radar gun, and when driving past stationary police officers, use it to calibrate my spedometer...

9/1/2006, 02:55 PM
No price is too high to shave 4 minutes off my drive time and jeopardize the safety of those around me.

yermom
9/1/2006, 02:58 PM
EXACTLY!

yermom
9/1/2006, 02:59 PM
oh, you were being sarcastic, weren't you? :O

hurricane'bone
9/1/2006, 04:03 PM

There are also lots of people that can read and write. So I guess you shouldn't display your plate at all.

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2006, 04:15 PM

you do NOT have a constitutionally protected "right to privacy" with your license plate

Hamhock
9/1/2006, 04:35 PM
you do NOT have a constitutionally protected "right to privacy" with your license plate

Why do you hate the troops?

soonercody
9/1/2006, 04:40 PM
My radar detector lets me know when I'm approaching road hazards, detours, etc. . Most states have emittor-thingys for this. So, in addition to paying for itself several times over it enhances safety for me, roadside workers, and others. 50 of the best $$ I've spent.

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2006, 05:00 PM
my radar detector keeps me honest - i drive about 8-10 over, and it beeps enough here and there to remind me to keep it down

i'm still being passed by quite a few cars

yermom
9/1/2006, 05:22 PM
JK you are about the last poster i would have thought of to have one :)

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 05:24 PM

99%....

:D

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2006, 05:39 PM

i've got a led foot, no doubt - im ALOT better than i used to be, i've slowed down quite a bit

yermom
9/1/2006, 05:40 PM
me too :O

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2006, 05:46 PM
however, looking at pictures of auto accidents all day will make you think, or at least paranoid....

rogcoley
9/4/2006, 03:23 PM
We need radar detectors.What would my daily commute into downtown Fort Worth be without reaching mach 1 and disintegrating on my return orbit burn?

Three things we don’t need in Texas.
1. Rear view mirrors. Used only for make-up and zit popping.
2. Turn signals. Used only for drying UT crying towels.
3. The “Drive Friendly The Texas Way” sign at the border. WTF? If the way they drive here is friendly, I don’t want to see hostile.

jk the sooner fan
9/4/2006, 04:44 PM
my radar detector keeps me honest - i drive about 8-10 over, and it beeps enough here and there to remind me to keep it down

i'm still being passed by quite a few cars

clarification - the above applies only to interstate drives - my radar detector is put away unless i'm driving from Dallas to OKC....and i do the speed limit in town

yermom
9/4/2006, 04:54 PM
dude, you are taking your life in your own hands driving the speed limit in the Dallas area :eek:

rogcoley
9/4/2006, 05:27 PM
dude, you are taking your life in your own hands driving the speed limit in the Dallas area :eek:

To that I say…..HELL YEAH!!! Lived here for 9+ years. It’s eat or be eaten/beaten. I live on the Fort Worth side of town and the monkeys here drive as bad as Dallas.

9/4/2006, 06:03 PM
I've always considered the turn signal a sign of weakness while in Dallas.

Sooner_Bob
9/4/2006, 06:09 PM
I've always considered the turn signal a sign of weakness while in Dallas.

That's the way it is in Albuquerque too . . . up here though, people use them and act like that's their que to switch lanes whether its clear or not.

AlbqSooner
9/4/2006, 06:21 PM
I always wanted to get a client who had been ticketed for having a radar detector in a state where they are illegal. The airwaves are public domain and you are entitled to receive anything that is there. Granted you are not entitled to decode or unscramble what is there, but if you receive it in the form that it is transmitted, you are within the law. Speeding is another thing. But to fine someone just for having a device that receives signals from the airwaves, I submit, is impermissible.

I had a radar detector when I lived in Florida for the trips across the state and such. Along the Gulf Coast, and particularly the Coast in the panhandle, they are worthless. All the shrimp boats, many recreational boats, and a ton of airports have the damn things beeping incessantly.

OUinFLA
9/4/2006, 06:28 PM
And some guys only read Playboy for the articles. :D

I do NOT!

Boarder
9/4/2006, 10:51 PM
My radar detector lets me know when I'm approaching road hazards, detours, etc. . Most states have emittor-thingys for this. So, in addition to paying for itself several times over it enhances safety for me, roadside workers, and others. 50 of the best $$ I've spent.
I can see this point. It's not like they put out giant orange signs and/or flashing lights miles in advance to warn you of construction zones or anything.

goodonya
9/6/2006, 08:49 AM
I've had a passive radar/laser jammer since 1999. It has saved me countless times. Once you understand how they work you can have a field day. If you don't clearly understand you'll just have a juiced up radar detector (and probably some tickets). Mine also has the handy alerts that are broadcast which was mentioned earlier. If anyone wants more info I'll pass my experiences on or pass the URL.

BeetDigger
9/6/2006, 10:25 AM
I've always heard that the Willard was the best radar detector.