PDA

View Full Version : Question for all of you educated people

Soonerbabeinbama
9/1/2006, 09:38 AM
We have two public high schools in our city. The "higher powers that be" want to merge the two schools to have ninth and tenth grade at one school and eleventh and twelfth grade at the other school. I'm not really sure what the reasoning is behind this. The main concern against this idea is basically athletics and gang related incidents. The two schools have fun with the intercity football rivalry and that would be no more. Sounds trite, but that is a big thing. The other concern is that of developing a big ghetto neighborhood. Gangs from both schools would either converge into bigger gangs, or could create an escalation in opposing gangs.

I don't really understand the educational value of such a merger. Any ideas? Any of you had experience with this?

Okla-homey
9/1/2006, 09:40 AM
Speaking as a somewhat educated person and former resident of Alabama; only reasonable school choice for folks living in Alabama: private.

you're welcome.;)

Soonerbabeinbama
9/1/2006, 09:41 AM
Speaking as a somwhat educated person and former resident of Alabama, only reasonable school choice for folks living in Alabama: private.

you're welcome.;)
PRIVATE EDUCATION - my favorite words!!!!!!;)

sooner n houston
9/1/2006, 09:50 AM
Bartlesville did this back in the 90's. The rivalry got out of hand between the two high schools so they merged them into one. Someone from there might be able to give you some insight.

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2006, 09:59 AM
plano splits (or at least they did when i went) the high schools that way - it didnt cause me any problems

Soonrboy
9/1/2006, 10:05 AM
I think Broken Arrow does it that way, or at least they used to, I think.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/1/2006, 10:07 AM
plano splits (or at least they did when i went) the high schools that way - it didnt cause me any problems
but why? What did they want to accomplish? I still don't get it. Students closer to the same age together? IMO if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

jk the sooner fan
9/1/2006, 10:13 AM
i have no idea why they did it, it was already done

9/10 was called the "high school" and 11/12 was "senior high school"

i'm sure it served the growing population of the city and opened up more options for the senior high school

sooneron
9/1/2006, 10:16 AM
I went to Norman schools back in the 80's when it was mid high and then, HS. Which was 9/10 and 11/12. Same as your proposal I guess.
I tend to think it's a good idea as the difference between a 14 year old and a kid moving out of the house in a few months can be monumental. OF course, if 30 is the new 23, is 17 the new 13?

In the town that we have settled down in, the middle school and high school share the same property, they are separted by a wall in the building. Of course, gangs aren't an issue in my area as somewhere like 95% of the kids that go to school here go on to higher ed.

TexasLidig8r
9/1/2006, 10:19 AM

lol.. of course, those roving bands of street gangs in Plano are quite the problem! ;)

Beef
9/1/2006, 10:26 AM
lol.. of course, those roving bands of street gangs in Plano are quite the problem! ;)
Someone has to sling the heroin.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/1/2006, 10:47 AM
Probably more so than anyone would care to imagine. If we have a major problem with them here in Podunk, USA - you can bet Plano is running amok with them too!! Probably has something to do with the color of their cowboy hats.;)

mdklatt
9/1/2006, 10:49 AM
Probably has something to do with whether they drive a Lexus, BMW, or Mercedes.

Fixed.

Soonerbabeinbama
9/1/2006, 10:54 AM
Fixed.
true dat!!:D