PDA

View Full Version : Another email to ABC about coverage

AZOUFan
8/31/2006, 02:52 PM
I think this is my 6th or 7th year of this...

To: [email protected]

As I have stated in the past, and will continue to do so, college football fans are fanatical. We do not tune into and watch 2 or 3 quarters of a game hoping that it will be a blowout so that coverage is switched to another one. College football fans follow THEIR team religiously. For example, if your station is not covering the Oklahoma game one particular Saturday, I will either watch the station that it is on, purchase the ESPN Gameplan to view the game, head to a sports bar to pick up a satellite broadcast, or tune into an Internet radio station to hear the play by play. I will not watch a different game hoping for an off chance lopsided game that allows you to switch coverage to the Oklahoma game.

In the past I have been told by your station that you have no control over this, however every time I receive that response I have checked with ABC headquarters programming department and have received confirmation that this is the regional affiliates choice on programming. As another example, regardless of the score, the ABC affiliate in Oklahoma City (KOCO Channel 5) does not switch game coverage, even in the 77-0 contest against Texas A&M, which your station switched at halftime a few years ago.

I again implore you to reconsider your practice of switching game coverage during college football games, for any contest, not just Oklahoma games. I am sure I am not alone in this request as many friends and colleagues of mine have expressed the same dissatisfaction over this issue. College football fans living in Arizona represent a large swath of the country as many folks have moved here from other states. This coverage switch continually interrupts an otherwise enjoyable Saturday spent in front of the television. I can assure you that even if the Sooners were getting trounced 77-0, I’d be there watching every second of it. Once you switch coverage, I am forced to quickly change stations in order to attempt to find the broadcast somewhere else. Please take a moment to seriously consider this yearly request from me.

I would be more than happy to discuss any questions or concerns you may have regarding this issue. If you have any doubts as to the affect that this practice has, just go to http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 on any given Saturday when ABC switches coverage and watch the forums light up with disgust and anger.

Your consideration of this initiative is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

CrimsonChampion
8/31/2006, 02:58 PM
I agree 100%