PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to Unemployment!

crawfish
8/31/2006, 01:39 PM
Population: You and 400 co-workers.

I used to work for Tandy (then-owner of Radio Shack) about 15 years ago, and it's not shocking that they haven't grown a heart since then. :mad:

RadioShack uses e-mail to fire 400 employees as part of planned job cuts

Associated Press
Published on: 08/30/06

FORT WORTH, Texas — RadioShack Corp. notified about 400 workers by e-mail that they were being dismissed immediately as part of planned job cuts.

Employees at the Fort Worth headquarters got messages Tuesday morning saying: "The work force reduction notification is currently in progress. Unfortunately your position is one that has been eliminated."

Company officials had told employees in a series of meetings that layoff notices would be delivered electronically, spokeswoman Kay Jackson said. She said employees were invited to ask questions before Tuesday's notification on a company intranet site.

Derrick D'Souza, a management professor at the University of North Texas, said he had never heard of such a large number of terminated employees being notified electronically. He said it could be seen as dehumanizing to employees.

"If I put myself in their shoes, I'd say, 'Didn't they have a few minutes to tell me?'" D'Souza said.

Laid-off workers got one to three weeks pay for each year of service, up to 16 weeks for hourly employees and 36 weeks for those with base bay of at least $90,000, the company said.

The company announced Aug. 10 that it would cut 400 to 450 jobs, mostly at headquarters, to cut expenses and "improve its long-term competitive position in the marketplace." RadioShack has closed nearly 500 stores, consolidated distribution centers and liquidated slow-moving merchandise in an effort to shake out of a sales slump.

Shares of RadioShack rose 29 cents, or 1.6 percent, to close at $18.21 Wednesday on the New York Stock Exchange.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/31/2006, 01:41 PM
'...he broke up with me...on a POST-IT!!!...'

Sooner_Bob
8/31/2006, 01:42 PM
They would do so much better if they weren't so freakin' high on stuff.

KABOOKIE
8/31/2006, 01:45 PM
I remember when you could buy **** at Radio Shack to build a radio. Now days the idjits that work there wouldn't know WTF 12 guage braided copper wire is.

crawfish
8/31/2006, 01:45 PM

For years, Radio Shack was such a huge cash cow for Tandy that they had to invent other stores to lose money (Incredible Universe, Computer City, etc).

They've got some serious competition now from places like Fry's Electronics and the internet for those obscure wires and connectors that they used to mark up 600% (and I'm not kidding about that number).

RacerX
8/31/2006, 01:46 PM
Parrots are more effective and personal.

8/31/2006, 01:46 PM
I'm always glad Radio Shack is there when I need an uncommon adaptor or battery.

I don't think I've ever spent more than $8 there.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/31/2006, 01:50 PM
I remember when you could buy **** at Radio Shack to build a radio. Now days the idjits that work there wouldn't know WTF 12 guage braided copper wire is.

I wanna know what '****' is...

crawfish
8/31/2006, 01:51 PM
I wanna know what '****' is...

Yeah, like Homeland Security is gonna let YOU build a radio...

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/31/2006, 01:52 PM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt!!!

BeetDigger
8/31/2006, 05:28 PM

Narc

BudSooner
8/31/2006, 07:06 PM
Yeah, like Homeland Security is gonna let YOU build a radio...

:pop: