PDA

View Full Version : Peterson's father restricted from attending season opener

colleyvillesooner
8/31/2006, 09:32 AM
Adrian Peterson will have to wait a little longer to see his father in the stands.
The Oklahoma running back's father, who was incarcerated seven years ago and only has been able to watch his son play on television since, will not be permitted to attend the Sooners' season opener. Nelson Peterson is living at a halfway house in Oklahoma City, and he said Wednesday that his request to attend Saturday's game in Norman against Alabama-Birmingham has been denied.

Earlier this preseason, Adrian Peterson said he would be disappointed if his dad wasn't allowed to attend the opener.

"I don't see why there would be any reason not to be cleared to come to the games," the younger Peterson said then. "He traveled before by himself."

Nelson Peterson now travels from the Oklahoma Halfway House Inc., which is downtown, to his job at Jackie Cooper BMW in Edmond.

"I don't see why he can't come 30 minutes down the road to see his son play ball," Adrian Peterson said. "That'd be kind of crazy."

Even though Nelson Peterson will not be at the game this week, he is expected to be released Oct. 5. At that point, he will be free to go where he wants and do what he pleases.

OU plays Texas on Oct. 7.

Convicted on federal charges of laundering money acquired from the distribution of crack cocaine, Nelson Peterson spent more than six years at the Federal Correctional Institute in Texarkana, Texas. He moved to the halfway house this summer.

"Here lately with two-a-days, I haven't been able to get down to the city and see him," Adrian Peterson said. "We've got opportunities on Sunday to go to church and have a quality visit.

"I talk to him almost every other day."

JohnnyMack
8/31/2006, 09:33 AM
Sounds like someone's on a power trip.

southern sooner
8/31/2006, 09:47 AM
That is so much crap, the guy made a mistake, didnt take someones life, chill out and let him live now...

However.... on a pure selfish note, do you think it might add some more power to the legs of AD in the RRS if that is the FIRST game that his dad is able to watch in person??? See him come out and just be a freaking animal and run for like 300 yards.

okienole3
8/31/2006, 09:50 AM
I am more worried about his job at Jackie Cooper, etc...

rogcoley
8/31/2006, 09:51 AM
“Go wherever he wants and do whatever he pleases” ??? You do that as a convicted felon and you’ll be right back in the gray bar motel, pronto,Tonto.Whose quote is that, Barry Trammel’s? Sounds like an uninformed opinion from that bonehead.

OUMallen
8/31/2006, 09:58 AM
No one would bat an eye if it was a drug-dealing, money-laundering convict that didn't have a son play for OU. Rules are rules, man.

mrowl
8/31/2006, 10:02 AM
I don't see the story here. With every other person in a halfway house, they are only allowed to go to work. Nothing new in this decision.

cjames317
8/31/2006, 10:08 AM
So who is willing to sacrifice his OU-Texas ticket for Nelson Peterson and the greater good of the Sooner Nation?

tru2ou
8/31/2006, 10:12 AM
So who is willing to sacrifice his OU-Texas ticket for Nelson Peterson and the greater good of the Sooner Nation?

Players get two tickets for every game. No worries on his dad getting in.

On the other hand, I still dont have tickets so if anyone has a couple they would like to sell me for a reasonable price, I'd really appreciate it.

- Tru

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
8/31/2006, 10:13 AM
This will only make AD play even harder. Hook 'em

Taxman71
8/31/2006, 10:47 AM
Big deal over nothing. Can't fault AD for wanting his dad to see him play for the first time in 7 years when he is only 30 minutes away. Regardless of what his dad did to get in jail, that is just natural for AD to feel like that about his dad. And I haven't heard Nelson Peterson complaining at all. Sounds like he is doing his time quietly as he should. AD just responded to a reporter's question, he is not campaigning or petitioning Brad Henry or anything.

Then again, maybe Stoops is pulling strings to keep Nelson away until the Cotton Bowl for that extra oomph from AD.

OUGreg723
8/31/2006, 11:52 AM
I dont think Bob would every try to keep Adrian's dad away fom him. That would be horrible.

BoomerJack
8/31/2006, 11:56 AM
I wager this has something to do with the fact that Mr. Peterson would have to leave Oklahoma county to travel to Norman.

Jimminy Crimson
8/31/2006, 12:05 PM
I am more worried about his job at Jackie Cooper, etc...

Nothing to worry about there. Trust me.

mikee likee
8/31/2006, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=southern sooner]That is so much crap, the guy made a mistake, didnt take someones life, chill out and let him live now...

Ever seen anyone on crack? That persons life is changed forever if not over by now. He did not go to jail for too many parking tickets.

OUMallen
8/31/2006, 12:34 PM
Nothing to worry about there. Trust me.

As long as he's working while he's clocked in....

Octavian
8/31/2006, 12:37 PM
just from a selfish standpoint, I want Nelson Peterson to attend his first game at the Cotton Bowl.

badger
8/31/2006, 01:05 PM
perhaps instead of working at Jackie Cooper, he can get a job in Norman...

...as a stadium security guard... at Oklahoma Memorial Stadium???

SoonerLB
8/31/2006, 01:19 PM
That is so much crap, the guy made a mistake, didnt take someones life, chill out and let him live now...

However.... on a pure selfish note, do you think it might add some more power to the legs of AD in the RRS if that is the FIRST game that his dad is able to watch in person??? See him come out and just be a freaking animal and run for like 300 yards.

Man, if that would be the case, I would vote they keep him till the day before the Texas game! ;)

Jimminy Crimson
8/31/2006, 01:25 PM
As long as he's working while he's clocked in....

Well, there is that. :P

Taxman71
8/31/2006, 01:55 PM
Clocking in only matters if you are an NCAA athlete or a government employee. Anyone else can pay as much as they want for as little amount of work as they want. Ever worked with a boss' son?

There are obviously trolls on here looking to slam AD's dad to stir things up. The guy is paying his debt to society quietly without complaint and it kills our foes that AD may actually be better than what they have seen in the past.

GDC
8/31/2006, 01:58 PM
Ever seen anyone on crack? That persons life is changed forever if not over by now. He did not go to jail for too many parking tickets.

I would wager they haven't.

C&CDean
8/31/2006, 02:00 PM
1. Nelson Peterson is paying his debt to society.

2. Nelson Peterson should not get preferential treatment just because of who his son is.

3. This is a non-story. Period.

4. Crack kills. I pray that Nelson Peterson has learned this.

JonnyRed
8/31/2006, 02:07 PM

DarrellZero
8/31/2006, 02:10 PM
I agree with Dean. Do the crime; do the time.

Taxman71
8/31/2006, 02:13 PM
Alright, Nelson laundered money for some dudes that sold crack. Illegal? Yes. Deserving of jail? Yes. Does crack kill? Yes.

If Nelson laundered money for a white collar embezzler (say..stealing from the government) or a tobacco company, would his offense be any worse? Any less? No. Same crime, same time. These trolls need to start blowing their secondhand smoke up their self-righteous a$$.