PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa peeps: East End - Tulsa, Oklahoma

JohnnyMack
8/31/2006, 09:32 AM
http://www.globaldevelopmentpartners.com/EastEnd.html

Thoughts?

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 09:42 AM
I'm stoked about it. But what's the capacity of Driller Stadium right now?

GDC
8/31/2006, 09:48 AM

Thoughts?

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76022&page=4

I'm all for it.

hurricane'bone
8/31/2006, 09:50 AM
I think its great. I went downtown yesterday and scouted out the area. It looks like the County Commissioners would back the move of the Drillers. I believe this will be a great development in Tulsa and will help join some of the established areas in town, Brookside/Utica Square/Cherry Street/Blue Dome/Brady, together to create a mass of enterntaiment, shopping, eating and living venues for the City of Tulsa.

Although I'm a little hesitant about the newest river development I think that it combined with The East End, The BOK Center, the new retail developments in West Tulsa and Bixby, and the 96th street area Tulsa is starting to become a viable area that is attracting a lot of interest.

hurricane'bone
8/31/2006, 09:55 AM
I'm stoked about it. But what's the capacity of Driller Stadium right now?

Too big for a AA team, its right at 11,000.

picasso
8/31/2006, 09:57 AM
we've got that and now the new river development plan. I'm all for it but what say we fix the streets and highways first? they suck thoroughly.

hurricane'bone
8/31/2006, 10:02 AM
Pic - The East End will be a private development, so its a bit different. Which highways do you think need to be fixed?

picasso
8/31/2006, 10:06 AM
Pic - The East End will be a private development, so its a bit different. Which highways do you think need to be fixed?
I was talking about the river plan actually.

which highways need fixing? seriously? have you dodged any of the speedbumps going 75mph lately?

hurricane'bone
8/31/2006, 10:21 AM
I was talking about the river plan actually.

which highways need fixing? seriously? have you dodged any of the speedbumps going 75mph lately?

yes seriously, I think answer like that are cop-outs, nothing but crap being spewed from people's mouths. I-44 is being re-done, A massive section of 169 was just re-done, 41st street in various locations, Yale in various locations, 61st street, and Peoria. These are all projects that are completed or being worked on.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 10:23 AM
hurricane, you goin to the game tonight? i'm drivin' from okc around 4. figured i can get a ticket at the gate.

JohnnyMack
8/31/2006, 10:24 AM
In typcial Oklahoma good ol' boy politics fashion, it takes someone who's not from here to see that the place that needed developing was just south of Greenwood.

Once again, nice decision on the location of the BOk arena. Morans.

hurricane'bone
8/31/2006, 10:25 AM
hurricane, you goin to the game tonight? i'm drivin' from okc around 4. figured i can get a ticket at the gate.

**** yeah, I'll be playin' my trombone like a fool tonight. Early this morning we had a pep band play on 6 In The Morning

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 10:25 AM
I'm a fan of urban sprawl and wish the new arena would've gone to south Tulsa, like near the 71st and Mingo area.

StoopTroup
8/31/2006, 10:34 AM
Highway 11 needs to be completed. Right now it ends at the Lewis exit with access to hwy 75 before it ends.

The area of Hwy 75 North that merges with the BA then the Cimarron/ Sand Springs exit then the Martin Luther King / 75 North / I-244 East could use some help IMO.

I-44 needs to be widened from the BA cloverleaf to the Turnpike.

And the Highway from the I-44 and I-244 merge to the Will Rogers Turnpike could use some help.

169 to Owasso should be widened right now.

And lets say they fix Peoria, Lewis, Yale and Sheridan from Apache to the end of each of them going south.

I could go on but I'm pretty sure very little of what I just mentioned will be fixed anyway.

NormanPride
8/31/2006, 10:36 AM
Good lord that place doesn't need anything else around it. There's enough traffic because of all the restaurants and the mall. Having the largest school right there doesn't help.

SoonerInKCMO
8/31/2006, 10:37 AM
Y'all that are complaining about the state of Tulsa highways/streets haven't been to other cities, right?

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 10:38 AM
pride, perhaps 71st needs to have frontage roads from memorial to garnett

NormanPride
8/31/2006, 10:39 AM
No kidding. Tulsa's not bad at all, and I drive all over the place just about every day.

NormanPride
8/31/2006, 10:40 AM
pride, perhaps 71st needs to have frontage roads from memorial to garnett

I think all highways should have them. Makes traffic a lot easier to manage, IMO.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 10:45 AM
pride, in this case, i'm referring to that logjam that is 71st between garnett and memorial every saturday and sunday. too many traffic lights. it's stop and go westbound all the way to the mall and eastbound all the way THROUGH the highway entrance. that 2 mile stretch needs to have frontage roads. hell, take the 6 lanes down to 4 and add a frontage on each side to consolidate the number of intersections down that stretch.

if you count garnett's lights and memorial's, you have, let's see....1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,.....10 or 11 now...intersections in a 2 mile stretch of land. that needs to go down to about 6 :)

NormanPride
8/31/2006, 10:55 AM
I can see that, but the problem is that if you don't have the lights, there is no way for anyone to turn left, anywhere. :( There's just too many cars, is all.

Williesan
8/31/2006, 12:57 PM

Thoughts?

About time someone is proposing something down there. If Nordam's completely out of their complex then why not. If the city doesn't have to spend much or anything at all, then do it. My only complaint is that the proposed ballpark is a shade too small. Make it 10K fixed seats plus another 2-3K "berm" seats and you will have a winner.

However---The only way you will get people to come back down town is to redevelop with lots of multi-use developments that have all services available to a developing community. You have to have retail shopping, restaurants and entertainment to make this work. You also have to make residences (whether townhouses, lofts or condo's) accessible to all incomes and age groups too - the Central Park development at 8th/Peoria starts at $179,000 for a 1500-1600 sf 2 BR townhouse and it's about $100K more for about 2200 sf (existing units - haven't priced new).

The biggest problem with Tulsa (and OKC, DFW and other major midwest/southwest cities for that matter) is the fact that nobody has even attempted to control suburban sprawl. As long as there's not an incentive for 20-something couples with dual incomes to plant thmeselves within the city limits, it will continue. If the East End development is done right, you may see some changes (at least here).

Williesan.

OklahomaTuba
8/31/2006, 01:11 PM
That's cool. Glad its Private money thats driving this.

Tulsa needs to fix the ROADS in the city and get some more ****ing police on the streets to lower the crime raging in this city. Also need to get the schools fixed, as that's probably the #1 reason people are fleeing the town for the burbs.

Before more money is spent on BS like making little islands in Arkansas "River" with a nice view of a refinery for half a Brazilian dollars, it sure would be nice if we could widen those 2 lane side streets we call our main roads that are all over south Tulsa or maybe attract some companies to the area besides call centers.

As for the highways, take a drive on the BA sometime near down town, or the IDL, I-44 west of the river, 75 in northwest Tulsa, etc. Those are just flat scary.

Just my opinion though.

Oh, and right on about the Areana. I've said all along the location was made by a complete braindead moron.

Pricetag
8/31/2006, 01:11 PM
The biggest problem with Tulsa (and OKC, DFW and other major midwest/southwest cities for that matter) is the fact that nobody has even attempted to control suburban sprawl. As long as there's not an incentive for 20-something couples with dual incomes to plant thmeselves within the city limits, it will continue. If the East End development is done right, you may see some changes (at least here).

Williesan.
Gas prices will help, as well.

OklahomaTuba
8/31/2006, 01:15 PM
I was glad to hear they are thinking of getting some light rail in the city.

Excellent Idea methinks.

bri
8/31/2006, 01:16 PM
MONORAIL!!

Pricetag
8/31/2006, 01:17 PM
MONORAIL!!
Heh, I still remember the billboards from the '80s.

SoonerInKCMO
8/31/2006, 01:19 PM
OK, I'll amend my question "Y'all that are complaining about Tulsa highways/roads/crime haven't been to other cities, right?"

SoonerInKCMO
8/31/2006, 01:20 PM
I was glad to hear they are thinking of getting some light rail in the city.

Excellent Idea methinks.

Is there much freight use of the rails that run between the halves of the BA? Have people done much research into using that for passenger service?

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/31/2006, 01:36 PM
MONORAIL!!

That...would...RULE!

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 01:51 PM
Wait, light rail?

hurricane'bone
8/31/2006, 01:53 PM
Highway 11 needs to be completed. Right now it ends at the Lewis exit with access to hwy 75 before it ends.

I assume you mean connect it to the Tisdale? I wouldn't do that until there is some more development along the corridor to justify doing that.

The area of Hwy 75 North that merges with the BA then the Cimarron/ Sand Springs exit then the Martin Luther King / 75 North / I-244 East could use some help IMO.

I'll agree with this, most of the IDL needs work done

I-44 needs to be widened from the BA cloverleaf to the Turnpike.

You mean the part that they are working on right now?

And the Highway from the I-44 and I-244 merge to the Will Rogers Turnpike could use some help.

A lot of that lies right on the line between Tulsa and Rogers county, so it would probably have funds from both Counties

169 to Owasso should be widened right now.

I agree, but how would this be done? Combination of Federal/State & City (Both Tulsa & Owasso) or County (Just Tulsa? or Tulsa and Rogers?)

And lets say they fix Peoria, Lewis, Yale and Sheridan from Apache to the end of each of them going south.

Yes...lets just tear up every main street in Tulsa all at the same time! It will be FAN-tastic.

KC//CRIMSON
8/31/2006, 05:32 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060831_A1_Avisi33313_a1river31.jpg
Is it just me, or does that look like a bad idea?

Williesan
8/31/2006, 06:07 PM
OK, I'll amend my question "Y'all that are complaining about Tulsa highways/roads/crime haven't been to other cities, right?"

Ummm... if you mean "Massachusetts" when you say other places, then you are correct sir. Just about everywhere else I have been has better roads than Tulsa, OK. ... except Mass.

Williesan

Williesan
8/31/2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.tulsaworld.com/images/2006/060831_A1_Avisi33313_a1river31.jpg
Is it just me, or does that look like a bad idea?

What the... why would we want to do something like this?????

BTW - I haven't seen this one. Is it real or a fark?

Williesan

Getem
8/31/2006, 06:30 PM

Williesan

It's the World's artistic conception of part of the plan. Basically they want to build a high water dam at 21st St which would make the river widen all the way back to Sand Springs, creating something like a 10 mile lake, and islands in the deepest part that would have mixed-use development. Partly public and partly private funding. I want to wait and see the actual plan before passing judgment, but it sure sounds wacky. Lots of obstacles to overcome.

BudSooner
8/31/2006, 06:31 PM
OK, lets assume this goes forward...what becomes of the old park? demo it?
And since it was brought up early on, how long before Bells runs to Jenks?

What then is the attraction for the fairgrounds when the fair is not here....it's not Fair Meadows.

Leave the park on Yale alone...it's one of the best parks in AA baseball so why downsize it doing downtown?
8,000 seats, pffft.

BudSooner
8/31/2006, 06:44 PM

Williesan

I cannot see that happening, isn't there something in the bible about a foolish man building his home on the sand?
I'm no geologist, but that's not exactly the best stuff to build large buildings on.

but what the **** do I know.;)

Tulsa_Fireman
8/31/2006, 11:13 PM
Is there much freight use of the rails that run between the halves of the BA? Have people done much research into using that for passenger service?

From what I've heard, those are the very lines that are being considered. As she stands, most, if not all of the traffic are automated lines. Dunno how this'd mess with a transit system, though.

And it's a pain in the butt when you're runnin' hot and Steamboat Willie-tron runnin' the train decides to park in the middle of Memorial. Stupid robot.

picasso
8/31/2006, 11:22 PM
yes, I have and there's no comparison.
take 64 west of Tulsa.
take 75 south of downtown.

drive on most side streets.

our highways have speed bumps on them!

Tulsa_Fireman
8/31/2006, 11:27 PM
And those of you that aren't too keen on Tulsa crime, keep that in mind when and if you see a pay raise for our boys in blue in the next few months. Arbitrator's granted the award, but it looks like the administration may send it to a vote of the people.

picasso
8/31/2006, 11:29 PM
And those of you that aren't too keen on Tulsa crime, keep that in mind when and if you see a pay raise for our boys in blue in the next few months. Arbitrator's granted the award, but it looks like the administration may send it to a vote of the people.
I went by Kathy Taylor's house the other night. It's a vulgar display of wealth.:eek:

Where can I get one?

StoopTroup
9/1/2006, 01:32 AM
I assume you mean connect it to the Tisdale? I wouldn't do that until there is some more development along the corridor to justify doing that.

I'll agree with this, most of the IDL needs work done

You mean the part that they are working on right now?

A lot of that lies right on the line between Tulsa and Rogers county, so it would probably have funds from both Counties

I agree, but how would this be done? Combination of Federal/State & City (Both Tulsa & Owasso) or County (Just Tulsa? or Tulsa and Rogers?)

Yes...lets just tear up every main street in Tulsa all at the same time! It will be FAN-tastic.
I didn't say I had all the answers...I was just pointing out what needs help.

BudSooner
9/1/2006, 08:56 AM
I went by Kathy Taylor's house the other night. It's a vulgar display of wealth.:eek:

Where can I get one?

It seriously cannot be any worse than Susan Savages house...the city of Tulsa spent an awful long time doing work in her area of town.:rolleyes:

Mjcpr
9/1/2006, 08:56 AM

Can they get a smaller raise and reduce crime or can they only reduce it if they get the 8% raise they were asking for?

;)

picasso
9/1/2006, 09:07 AM
It seriously cannot be any worse than Susan Savages house...the city of Tulsa spent an awful long time doing work in her area of town.:rolleyes:
well they are fixing the street in front of her house as we speak.:D

JohnnyMack
9/1/2006, 09:39 AM

Williesan.

What kind of people would do that?

And I'm in my 30's now. :mad:

Mixer!
9/2/2006, 01:16 AM
Ballpark's too small, especially if the city ever wants to move back up to AAA level (where min. seating must be >10,000).

MiccoMacey
9/2/2006, 01:31 AM
I'm mixed about the pay raise for the police.

They deserve it, no doubt. I'm all for paying police as much as possible.

However, if they take less of a raise, that'll leave more for me for my raise. :D