PDA

View Full Version : The All Stoops' Team By Position: Receiver

FaninAma
8/30/2006, 11:52 PM
WR: Mark Clayton. No brainer
WR: Antwone Savage. Again, the 2000 factor.
H:Back :Josh Norman: Incredible year in 2000 with several highlight catches.

TE: Trent Smith. Really good player but really doesn't have much competition since the position withered on the vine under Chuck Long.

usmc-sooner
8/30/2006, 11:54 PM
Clayton
Jones
Bradley
Savage
Smith

HarrisTubbsFan
8/30/2006, 11:55 PM
Mark Clayton
Mark Bradley
Brandon Jones

I think Bradley ended his career with the most TDs per touch avg of any player in OU history didn't he?

Egeo
8/30/2006, 11:58 PM
this one is tough after clayton

All_Day_28
8/31/2006, 12:01 AM
Mark Clayton
Mark Bradley
Antwone Savage
after that I'm not sure...

Harry Beanbag
8/31/2006, 12:29 AM
Mark Clayton is #1 on the school's career receptions list. Without looking it up, who's #2?

FaninAma
8/31/2006, 12:30 AM
Curtis Fagan had a great year in 2000. We were amazingly thin at WR in 2000. Itmakes you wonder how Huepel would have done with receivers like Clayton and Malcolm Kelly.

All_Day_28
8/31/2006, 12:34 AM
Mark Clayton is #1 on the school's career receptions list. Without looking it up, who's #2?
OU Career Receiving Leaders

1. Mark Clayton
2. Antwone Savage
3. Eddie Hinton
4. Corey Warren
5. Curtis Fagan
6. Tinker Owens
7. Keith Jackson
8. Stephen Alexander
9. Trent Smith
10. P. J. Mills
11. Albert Hall
12. Quentin Griffin
13. Travis Wilson
14. Derrick Shepard
15. Josh Norman

Harry Beanbag
8/31/2006, 12:39 AM
OU Career Receiving Leaders

1. Mark Clayton
2. Antwone Savage
3. Eddie Hinton
4. Corey Warren
5. Curtis Fagan
6. Tinker Owens
7. Keith Jackson
8. Stephen Alexander
9. Trent Smith
10. P. J. Mills
11. Albert Hall
12. Quentin Griffin
13. Travis Wilson
14. Derrick Shepard
15. Josh Norman

I said without looking it up. I also said receptions, not receiving, so you are still wrong. No points for you. ;)

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 12:44 AM
I said without looking it up. I also said receptions, not receiving, so you are still wrong. No points for you. ;)

Savage is #2 in yardage. Quentin Griffin
is #2 in receptions, but I don't want the Q vs. AD argument to bleed over into this thread so let's go with #3 in receptions - Trent Smith.

Desert Sapper
8/31/2006, 12:48 AM
Antwone Savage, Curtis Fagan, and Trent Smith looked like they had Stickum on their hands. They caught E V E R Y T H I N G. Mark Clayton was Mr. YAC. That guy took more quick slants and quick outs for TDs than anybody I can remember. I hope somebody develops those mega-mitts like those guys this season. We need all those catches again, even if they don't go for home runs. Talking about quick routes for 4 or 5 yard easy gainers. We need that guy who can take a quick pass for the home run again.

Harry Beanbag
8/31/2006, 12:50 AM
Antwone Savage, Curtis Fagan, and Trent Smith looked like they had Stickum on their hands. They caught E V E R Y T H I N G. Mark Clayton was Mr. YAC. That guy took more quick slants and quick outs for TDs than anybody I can remember. I hope somebody develops those mega-mitts like those guys this season. We need all those catches again, even if they don't go for home runs. Talking about quick routes for 4 or 5 yard easy gainers. We need that guy who can take a quick pass for the home run again.

I think a lot of that has to do with ball placement by the QB, something we were sorely lacking last season.

All_Day_28
8/31/2006, 12:50 AM
oops sorry.. I tried

FaninAma
8/31/2006, 12:52 AM

Man, I couldn't agree more. It seemed like our receivers didn't drop a ball all year long in 2000. everytime we needed someone to make a play they were there. Of course Josh Huepel always put the ball in very catchable locations.

Desert Sapper
8/31/2006, 12:53 AM
I think a lot of that has to do with ball placement by the QB, something we were sorely lacking last season.

Partially, I agree, but those guys were catching stuff that there was no way they should have caught. Mark Clayton made JW look REALLY good. I think Josh Heupel had one of the best touches of any QB in OUr history.

OUMallen
8/31/2006, 10:57 AM
WR: Mark Clayton. No brainer
WR: Antwone Savage. Again, the 2000 factor.
H:Back :Josh Norman: Incredible year in 2000 with several highlight catches.

TE: Trent Smith. Really good player but really doesn't have much competition since the position withered on the vine under Chuck Long.

You're letting 2000 cloud your vision.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/31/2006, 11:00 AM
Partially, I agree, but those guys were catching stuff that there was no way they should have caught. Mark Clayton made JW look REALLY good. I think Josh Heupel had one of the best touches of any QB in OUr history.

MC will make any QB look good. But Jason also made some great plays to Mark Bradley and Brandon Jones who weren't as perfect at running routes as MC was.

DoubleDown
8/31/2006, 11:08 AM
Brandon Jones had A LOT of drops. Really hard to put him on this list considering the competition.

FaninAma
8/31/2006, 02:48 PM
You're letting 2000 cloud your vision.

Maybe. But when I think about the players who I would want starting on my team I look for the guys who made the clutch plays and won the clutch games even if they didn't have the dazzling stats of another player.

Josh Norman was clutch in 2000.

Duke o Brewery
8/31/2006, 04:59 PM
WR: Clayton
WR: Bradley
WR: Savage
TE: Smith

BudSooner
8/31/2006, 05:05 PM
It's pretty amazing that Travis Wilson wasn't higher on that list of receptions.