PDA

View Full Version : The All-Stoops Team By Position(s):Offensive Backfield

FaninAma
8/30/2006, 11:02 PM
1.QB: Josh Heupel: Coach on the field
2.RB: Adrian Peterson: Once in a lifetime player with great work ethic.
3.FB: Seth Litrell: His performance and the team's success in 2000 gets Seth the nod over JD.

1st alternate: Quintin Griffin: Consumate Stoops' era player: unselfish and overachieving in college.

Paperclip
8/30/2006, 11:06 PM
No way could I pick Seth over JD. No way.

Soonerus
8/30/2006, 11:07 PM
What...Hybl at QB....

ADs_Agent
8/30/2006, 11:09 PM
to add onto this thread
at WR
Antwan Savage, Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley, and Tinker Owens

Soonerus
8/30/2006, 11:10 PM
Tinker played for Stoops ????

FaninAma
8/30/2006, 11:12 PM
to add onto this thread
at WR
Antwan Savage, Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley, and Tinker Owens

WR is another thread/topic.

TrophyCollector
8/30/2006, 11:13 PM
Put me down for either Lydell Carr or JD as the greatest FB in my OU memory banks. Loved Seth but he'd be a special teams only player on a team with JD.

Soonerus
8/30/2006, 11:14 PM
All-Stoops....ddduuuuhhhh!!!

All_Day_28
8/30/2006, 11:15 PM
Put me down for either Lydell Carr or JD as the greatest FB in my OU memory banks. Loved Seth but he'd be a special teams only player on a team with JD.
very true.. JD has to be ahead of Seth.

Egeo
8/30/2006, 11:30 PM
i like littrell alot - he a was an underrated blocker and could be given the ball here and there

but JD was an excellent blocker - and has good speed and hands - we just didnt use them much

HarrisTubbsFan
8/30/2006, 11:32 PM
I would put Q above AD right now. AD is a freak but Q is just my favorite there. Nothing against AD he's a stud and all.

Full back has to be JD. He may be Stoops favorite of any position. You can toss a coin between Josh and Jason. I'll go ahead and give Josh the nod.

Josh
JD
Q

All_Day_28
8/30/2006, 11:38 PM
AD>>>>>Q

usmc-sooner
8/30/2006, 11:40 PM
White

Runnells

AD

Josh Norman as an H back

FaninAma
8/30/2006, 11:40 PM
I admit that some of what factored into my choices was based on nostagic appreciation of what the 2000 team accomplished. When your team grabs the brass ring I think that elevates the individual players on that team a few notches.

I do think Josh Huepel was hands down the best QB to play for Stoops. Yes, Jason White put up gaudy numbers but he came up short at nut-cuttin' time.

TrophyCollector
8/30/2006, 11:43 PM
I would put Q above AD right now.

Good point, Q was one of the greatest in OU history. AD will be too but you could call that a coin toss right now.

Octavian
8/30/2006, 11:49 PM
the '04 backfield.

Jason: it's hard to not pick Josh but White's miscues in the NCGs (even the first one where he was a walking injury report) overshadow his dominance while he was at OU.

Adrian Peterson: 'nuff said.

JD: still confused why we didn't let him run the ball....

Which makes the '05 OB even more painful....

usmc-sooner
8/30/2006, 11:50 PM
Good point, Q was one of the greatest in OU history. AD will be too but you could call that a coin toss right now.

not putting Q down but AD would have been a higher NFL pick than Q if he came out after his freshman season. Were talking potentially the number 1 overall pick vs a 3rd rounder. An all pro vs a guy hoping for a back up role.

I love Q as much as anyone but AD is a better back.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/30/2006, 11:50 PM
I don't disagree too much with anyone picking AD. He's a freak. But I just loved watching Q. He was so special.

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 12:01 AM
not putting Q down but AD would have been a higher NFL pick than Q if he came out after his freshman season. Were talking potentially the number 1 overall pick vs a 3rd rounder. An all pro vs a guy hoping for a back up role.

I love Q as much as anyone but AD is a better back.

Sorry, I do not recognize the existence of the NFL. His name is #4 on the below rushing list dispite wasting more than 1/2 of his first season on a burned red shirt and then being a role player on two pass happy teams.

Also check out the OU career receiving leaders, Q is #12 and the only running back in the top 20.

Yea, AD is great, I agree but with everything he did - Q takes a back seat to nobody.

OU Career rushing leaders:

1. Billy Sims
2. Joe Washington
3. Steve Owens
4. Quentin Griffin
5. De'Mond Parker
6. Stanley Wilson
7. Greg Pruitt
8. Adrian Peterson
9. Lydell Carr
10. Mike Gaddis

OU Career Receiving Leaders

1. Mark Clayton
2. Antwone Savage
3. Eddie Hinton
4. Corey Warren
5. Curtis Fagan
6. Tinker Owens
7. Keith Jackson
8. Stephen Alexander
9. Trent Smith
10. P. J. Mills
11. Albert Hall
12. Quentin Griffin
13. Travis Wilson
14. Derrick Shepard
15. Josh Norman

All_Day_28
8/31/2006, 12:05 AM
So you guys mean to tell me that if you had Q and AD on the same team, you would start Q over AD? wtf?

Egeo
8/31/2006, 12:06 AM
i think peterson will probably drop that rushing record this year - i think its only like 1200 yards away

i thought Q had a special season in 2002 but peterson is the more talented guy and at this point, its who id have to take

HarrisTubbsFan
8/31/2006, 12:08 AM
So you guys mean to tell me that if you had Q and AD on the same team, you would start Q over AD? wtf?

Probably not. But I just enjoyed Q so much. It's kinda like the Billy Sims Little Joe arguement. Billy was probably a lot better, but Little Joe is so much more fun to watch.

FaninAma
8/31/2006, 12:19 AM
I don't think anybody in OU's history with the exception of Marcus Dupree or Billy Sims garners much playing time behind Peterson if OU is running a pro set or an I formation.

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 12:19 AM
i think peterson will probably drop that rushing record this year - i think its only like 1200 yards away

i thought Q had a special season in 2002 but peterson is the more talented guy and at this point, its who id have to take

AD needs 909 yards and 15 TDs to catch Q in rushing.

He'll need about 169 receptions for about 1,350 yards and 5 TDs to catch him in receiving.

Also, if he would outscore texass 36-14 in one game their stats would be pretty close.

Again, AD is great and certainly has more raw RB ability than almost anyone who every played college FB, but talent is what talent does and Q did more than any RB in the Stoops era, combine in his receiving numbers and his championships and he may have done more than any RB in OU history.

jackietreehorn
8/31/2006, 12:24 AM
I don't disagree too much with anyone picking AD. He's a freak. But I just loved watching Q. He was so special.

you can keep saying it, but it doesn't make it true.

"that's like...your opinion man"

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 12:25 AM

Depends on which team, if I needed to run out of the spread all day and throw 8 - 10 passes a game to my RB, I'd take Q.

If I had the ability to line up in the I and run over people on 1st and 2nd down, I'd take AD.

If I really had them both, I'd run both offenses and go with Bobby Jack at halftime to get a hot dog and let the GAs coach the 2nd half.

Desert Sapper
8/31/2006, 12:38 AM
First Team

QB - Josh Heupel - Cool as a cucumber, smart as a rocket scientist, and could slice and dice like a motherf***ing ginsu knife. Won a MNC and finished second to a 50 y/o p***y in the Heisman (bulls***, says I).

FB - JD Runnels - Come on. Nobody could do what JD could do. He was strong, a great blocker, and he could catch out of the backfield like nobody's business.

RB - Adrian Peterson - Simply the most amazing running back I've ever seen. He is super-fast, strong as an ox, has a work ethic second to none, and he is a lock (barring injury) to break the OU rushing record and could win the Heisman this year. I hope we win a MNC while he's here.

Second Team

QB - Jason White - Had some late season fubars in 2003 and 2004, but could easily have ended up as the starter with a little smarter decision making and better reads in those three big games. Won the Heisman.

FB - Seth Littrell - Seth was a great blocker and receiver, narrowly edged by JD.

RB - Q - Fast and strong, low center of gravity, great moves, and set a record with 6 TDs when we terminated Texas in 2000. Q was the man.

King Crimson
8/31/2006, 12:46 AM
put me in the JD over Littrell category. which is no direspect to Seth, at all.

the game had changed due to speed and strength sideline to sideline and the field is more vertical than horizontal......and AD is great, no doubt.....but Billy Sims out of the straight I/25 carries a game would have been pretty scary. he was a great one.

OUMallen
8/31/2006, 10:58 AM
1.QB: Josh Heupel: Coach on the field
2.RB: Adrian Peterson: Once in a lifetime player with great work ethic.
3.FB: Seth Litrell: His performance and the team's success in 2000 gets Seth the nod over JD.

1st alternate: Quintin Griffin: Consumate Stoops' era player: unselfish and overachieving in college.

You're letting 2000 cloud your vision.

Egeo
8/31/2006, 11:43 AM
Q did more than any RB in the Stoops era, combine in his receiving numbers and his championships and he may have done more than any RB in OU history.
just wait.

Pricetag
8/31/2006, 12:35 PM
You're letting 2000 cloud your vision.
You have to be talking about Littrell. Let's not forget that Seth had to suffer through 1997 and 1998 under Blake. As it is, he's very close to J.D., and there's no telling what he could have been under four years of competent coaches. I'll never forget the look in his eyes when they came out for the coin toss for the Orange Bowl. I had a great feeling that we would win when I saw him and the others.

Here's another feather in Q's cap, as well. Did anyone ever fear a blitz when Q was in the backfield? The guy sawed them in half every time they came.

sooner518
8/31/2006, 12:49 PM
Where is Brent Rawls?!

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 01:37 PM
just wait.

Hope you are right if AD can rack up 2,250 yards and 20TDs, score 6TDs on texass in one game and get a National Title - nobody will be happier about it than me!

HarrisTubbsFan
8/31/2006, 01:41 PM
Another thing about Q is he scored 9 or 10 TDs in 3 games against Texas. How many OU backs have scored 9 TDs in 4 games against Texas?

FaninAma
8/31/2006, 02:43 PM
I like Q a lot but his problem is he plays the same position a AD. If AD stays healthy this year I think he will define the RB position at OU. Sims, Pruitt and Q will still be legends but they will be rated behind AD if he has thetype of year I suspect he's going to have.

OklahomaRed
8/31/2006, 04:24 PM

Ditto. When he went off on Texas that one year. Awesome !

stoopified
8/31/2006, 04:43 PM
QB- J.White (,sorry Faninama but cant argue with THE TROPHY) J.Heupel

FB JD Runnels S.Littrell

TB AD Q or Q AD .AD is the better runner,but Q is better blocker,reciever.

Duke o Brewery
8/31/2006, 04:45 PM
QB: Heupel, White

RB: AD, Q

FB: JD, Seth.

No Question.

sooner KB
8/31/2006, 04:45 PM

That's a good way of putting it. Q is the feel-good choice, being that he was the little-bitty 5'6 170 lb RB that came out of nowhere and played on the NC team.

But when it comes down to physical ability, AD is miles ahead of Q.

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 04:48 PM
I like Q a lot but his problem is he plays the same position a AD. If AD stays healthy this year I think he will define the RB position at OU. Sims, Pruitt and Q will still be legends but they will be rated behind AD if he has thetype of year I suspect he's going to have.

I kind of agree with that. In looking through the numbers though, there could be a good argument that Q was maybe the best all-around player in OU history. 5,278 all purpose yards - 49 TDs and unlike Joe Washington who is the only one ahead of him, he never returned a kickoff or punt. Greg Pruitt is 3rd and he is over 800 yards being him.

I still think given the question of who would you start, I'd put the guy out there who is going to rush for a ton of yards, catch a dozen passes and score TDs. Give me Q. Based on the numbers, not on ADs potential or "wow factor" which he has tons of - this is a no brainer.

Geez, remember in 2002 when everyone wanted to bench Q for Kejuan Jones. What was that about?

douxpaysan
8/31/2006, 04:50 PM
All-Stoops....ddduuuuhhhh!!!
Aren't you the Granville Liggons guy?:rolleyes:

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 04:54 PM
But when it comes down to physical ability, AD is miles ahead of Q.

And in stats, Q is about 2,200 yards (literally over 1 mile) and 130 points ahead. Q is no "feel good" pick, he's one of the greatest players in school history.

All_Day_28
8/31/2006, 04:59 PM
And in stats, Q is about 2,200 yards (literally over 1 mile) and 130 points ahead. Q is no "feel good" pick, he's one of the greatest players in school history.
you guys also have to remember that for like 2 years Q got the ball on every play cuz Hyble couldn't hit anyone down field to save his life..

TrophyCollector
8/31/2006, 05:09 PM
you guys also have to remember that for like 2 years Q got the ball on every play cuz Hyble couldn't hit anyone down field to save his life..

Nate Hybl threw for over 5,000 yards and 40 TDs. Q had just over 1,300 yards receiving and 7 TDs - so I'm nos sure that is much of a true statement.

Also a lot of those passes that Q caught were really substitue run plays like designed swing passes and shovel passes.

FaninAma
8/31/2006, 06:23 PM
QB- J.White (,sorry Faninama but cant argue with THE TROPHY) J.Heupel

FB JD Runnels S.Littrell

TB AD Q or Q AD .AD is the better runner,but Q is better blocker,reciever.

I'll take THE RING over THE TROPHY anytime....as would most players.:D

Maybe we could sneak Q in as a midget fullback.

sooner KB
8/31/2006, 09:58 PM

True, but lets not forget Q played for 4 years, and AD only has about 1 3/4 years under his belt. So going by yardage is misleading. It would be more interesting to compare the two's yards per carry.

CatfishSooner
8/31/2006, 10:03 PM
Anyone that would take Q over AD is delusional...Not that I don't like Q, but who would you want running the ball w/ 5 seconds left on the 1 yard line?

goingoneight
8/31/2006, 10:45 PM
2004 offense. Why?

Mark Clayton and Mark Bradley. Is there any recieving records at OU they didn't crush???

JD Runnels, ran it caught it, blocked for someone else to run it or catch it. Everyone should lean more toward JD. Don't let his lack of an MNC distort his greatness.

On that note, I don't like running QB's generally, and I LOVED watching Jason White throw the ball a mile up the field and hitting guys directly, PERFECTLY in stride when he was healthy. Hi and Josh were both awesome at hitting WR's in triple coverage, but White made the more out-of-this-world kind of stuff happen. Don't think in anyway that I'd keep Josh out of the picture... remember he was Jason White's sort-of--"mentor" in 2003 and 2004.

Did anyone happen to note the running backs nucleus in 2004? I think there was a guy named Adrian Deterson, or something like that. He's kinda good, right?

Simply put, OUr 2004 team was exactly the same as SUC's 2005 team. All offense, with a rebuilding defense. We just had a bigger brain fart at the end.

All Stoops defense??? I think 2001 will do.

So, we have Bob Stoops as HC, Mikey and Brent as Co-DCs, gonna go ahead and say I'll give Mike Leach the nod over honorable mention Chuck Long at OC, and put Mr. 2000 at QB Coach.

Can you imagine a team with the likes of Jason White/Josh Heupel (you pick 'em), Adrian Peterson, Mark Clayton, Mark Bradley, the bad@$$ 2004 OL, old faithful JD Runnels, KR/PR Antonio Perkins mixed with the likes of Roy, Rocky, Tommie, Derek Strait, etc??? The only way it gets better is to petition for Torrance to get one more year of eligibility!!!

Now THAT, is the best team EVAR!!!

Egeo
8/31/2006, 10:57 PM
did bradley have any recieving records?