PDA

View Full Version : ***Un-Official Football Media Guide Thread

oupride
8/30/2006, 10:35 PM
Okay, I am pumped for the season! I received my 2006 Oklahoma Sooners Football Media Guide in the mail today and I think it could be the best lookin one ever! I say it could be cause I don't own all of them. Just the cover alone is worth the price of the guide. I was amazed with page after page of content, facts and pics that seemed to harmonize perfectly. I would like to say great job and thank you to the OU Athletic Department! Now, lets go get that next championship!!!!!!!!

GDC
8/31/2006, 07:59 AM
World Picks: Simple ways to not annoy the Picker's senses
By TULSA WORLD PICKER
8/31/2006

In a perfect world:

Joe Theismann gets hoarse right before the kickoff.

Phil Simms retires to sing tenor for a choir.

Injuries to either horses or football players are not replayed time and time again.

Referees who make terrible calls are held accountable at press conferences.

College players are paid.

Coaches have to honor contracts.

Announcers stop saying excetera when they mean etcetera.

The ridiculously bad angle from the belfry-cam at the Gallagher-Iba arena should be changed immediately.

Newspaper writers and ex-coaches on radio shows will not try to sound so cute.

ESPN would list in advance the anchors who will do the next SportsCenter so we don't tune in with high expectations and see a dog like Neil Everett.

NASCAR stops letting drivers catch up during a caution flag.

Announcers stop misusing compound subjects like "he and I," and "me and him" -- listen pinheads, if it's the subject, say I, if it's the object of a preposition, use me.

The camera never leaves the Russian women at the U.S. Open.

Ryder Cup players for team Europe cannot own more than five mansions in the

US of A.

The Picks

Thursday

Talk about starting the season with a bevy: there are 16 games tonight, there's a college game Friday, a thousand Saturday, three on the Sabbath, and Florida State-Miami is Monday night.

Stephen F. Austin at TU (-21): Great weather, fine team, superb coaching staff -- if this city doesn't support this team in, as Bob Stoops would say, a good way, then the community will officially become a burg and you people will be branded as the worst sports fans in America!

TU could be the best team in the state.

TU's turnaround is becoming as newsworthy as K-State's.

Cautionary consideration: TU has seven tossup games.

Good for TU, getting away from in-stadium beer busts.

The team is intoxicating enough.

TU by 30.

Toledo at Iowa State (-8 1/2): Kicks off worst Big 12 conference ever, Texas and the Munchkins. Not quite a big enough game for State to choke.

Home team by 9.

Saturday

UAB at OU (-21): When the Sooners are on offense, fans must show patience. Then kindness, then compassion, then tolerance, then a sense of humor.

They must be concerned about Peterson being held out of preseason combat -- fumbles, sprains are possible.

My, how things change: Time was, Sooner radio booster Al Eschbach sounded exactly like Stoops. Now Stoops sounds just like Al! Both suggest Bomar had peaked and would have wound up holding extra points had he not been on the con.

UAB runs the option and, outside of deflections, shouldn't complete more than a pass or two. OU by 24.

Missouri State at Oklahoma State (-24): You can't hang a blue velvet portrait of Elvis in the Taj Mahal. And you can't put a loser in the expanding OSU football palace. Pressure to succeed sizzles.

OSU's patty-cake nonconference schedule is a mistake for two reasons.

1. No TV.

2. It doesn't prepare you to compete against real teams.

Missouri State dropped the Southwest from its name.

Kind of reminds a person of Ohio State now, doesn't it.

OSU by 27.

USC (-8 1/2) at Arkansas: Ark. coach Nutt appears on the verge of hyperventilation going up against Southwest Eastern State. He could spin himself a couple of feet into the earth.

Global humiliation from rout a year ago should keep this close.

USC by 2.

Stanford at Oregon (-11): Cool.

Oregon by 4.

California at Tennessee (-2): Cal, like West Virginia, is supposed to be an overnight national power. Proof, please.

Tennessee by 3.

East Carolina at Navy (-12): Navy doesn't pass for many yards, but could pass for a real team.

Navy by 14.

Notre Dame (-9) at Georgia Tech: It's suddenly trendy to harass Notre Dame because its foes last year couldn't win. You can't blame a team for a decent opponent's shortcomings.

Great offensive coach overcomes upset fever.

Notre Dame by 2.

Utah at UCLA (-5): Quiet men venture to one of the Sin Cities.

UCLA by 6.

SMU at Texas Tech (-26): What Tech lacks in sportsmanship, it makes up for in postgame parties.

Tech by 28.

Houston (-13 1/2) at Rice: For bragging rights to Ship Channel.

Houston by 14.

BYU at Arizona (-7): Stoops No. 2 not exactly setting cacti on fire. Arizona by 9.

Sunday

Memphis at Mississippi (-2 1/2): Fair enough.

Home team by 3.

TCU (-8) at Baylor -- Dust to fly at tough Texas sandlot brawl.

TCU by 1.

Monday

Florida State at Miami (-3 1/2): Coker under fire. Bowden under the covers having a nap.

Smart scheduling -- winner hits top five, loser is not even close to out of the national championship picture because 10 or more teams figure to lose one this season.

Miami by 6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to play Out Pick the Picker

Think you have the smarts to beat the Picker at his own game? Play Out Pick the Picker.

Each week, from noon Monday to 11:59 p.m. Wednesday, make your picks on selected college and NFL football games during the season. Compare your picks against the Picker in Thursday's Tulsa World.

You missed the deadline to enter the first week of the season, but that doesn't mean you can't enter next week.

All participants, including the Picker, are playing "against the spread." The "spread" is the number of points by which the favored team is predicted to win. It's expressed as a "minus number" in parentheses after the favored team. The player and the Picker have to "beat the spread."

For example: Rhode Island A&M (-26) vs. Southern Vermont State. If the Picker selects Rhode Island A&M and the final score is RIA&M 26, SVS 10, then the Picker loses. Rhode Island A&M had to win this game by more than 26 points. If you had picked Southern Vermont State, you win that contest game, even though SVS lost. If Rhode Island had won by exactly 26 points, the game is considered a push, and doesn't count in the contest.

The number of games picked correctly "against the spread" is your score for each week's contest. If your score beats the Picker's score you win that week. The results will be published at tulsaworld.com by noon on Tuesday and in Wednesday's print edition of the Tulsa World.

Ten or more wins and you get a chance to win one of six recliners from Beeline Furniture,. Twelve or more wins qualifies you for a chance to win a set of Callaway golf clubs from Golf USA. Fourteen wins gets you a chance to win a 42-inch, flat panel plasma HD television from Video Revolution. Go to www.tulsaworld.com/picker.asp for complete rules and to enter..

GDC
8/31/2006, 08:05 AM
Depth Chart
By Staff Reports
8/31/2006

Offense

WR: Malcolm Kelly; Adron Tennell

TE: Joe Jon Finley; Jermaine Gresham

LT: Chris Messner; Cory Brandon

LG: Duke Robinson; Sherrone Moore

C: Jon Cooper; Chase Beeler

RG: Brandon Walker; Sherrone Moore

RT: Branndon Braxton; Trent Williams

WR: Juaquin Iglesias; Brandon Caleb

WR: Manuel Johnson*; Fred Strong; Reggie Smith

QB: Paul Thompson; Joey Halzle

FB: Matt Clapp; Dane Zaslaw

RB: Adrian Peterson; Allen Patrick

Defense

DE: Larry Birdine; Calvin Thibodeaux

DT: Carl Pendleton; DeMarcus Granger

DT: Steven Coleman; Cory Bennett

DE: C.J. Ah You; Alonzo Dotson

SLB: Demarrio Pleasant; Curtis Lofton

MLB: Zach Latimer; Curtis Lofton

WLB: Rufus Alexander; Lewis Baker

CB: Reggie Smith; Lendy Holmes

SS: Keenan Clayton; Nic Harris

FS: Darien Williams; Quinton Carter

CB: D.J. Wolfe; Marcus Walker

NB: Nic Harris; Lendy Holmes

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK: Garrett Hartley

P: Michael Cohen; Mike Knall

KR: Juaquin Iglesias; Reggie Smith

KR: Allen Patrick; Manuel Johnson*

PR: Reggie Smith; Juaquin Iglesias

H: Hays McEachern

DS: Derek Shaw; Eric Mensik

* Johnson is doubtful for Saturday's game vs. UAB/

GDC
8/31/2006, 08:07 AM
Dotson's OU debut is his second chance
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
8/31/2006

Third-year sophomore was declared ineligible prior to 2005 season.
NORMAN -- The news hit Oklahoma defensive end Alonzo Dotson harder than any offensive lineman's fist to the chinstrap ever did.

"It was right before (2005) preseason camp. I didn't have enough hours toward my major, so I couldn't play," he said. "I was torn up. You work while being behind players like Dan Cody and Jonathan Jackson. Then they leave the torch to you. And then to have that happen. . . . Shoot, it hurt."

Dotson had a choice. He could bury the pain and plow forward, three years at OU down but two still to go. Or he could let the pain bury him.

Dotson's decision crystallizes Saturday night at 6 p.m., when he joins the Sooners' defensive end rotation in their opener against UAB.

"I pushed through it and moved on," he said. "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

The key was not letting what happened take Dotson's football life. That wasn't easy at first.

He watched two seasons go by -- '03 while redshirting and '04 behind Cody and Jackson -- and then saw all the work he had done as an understudy, and all the promise he had shown in the spring of '04, circle the drain when he was declared ineligible.

"Most guys would just give up after being told they can't play after all that time," OU linebacker Rufus Alexander said.

Watching the Sooners' '05 opener against TCU from his living room didn't ease Dotson's pain any. But then something happened -- suddenly, his teammates hurt worse than he did.

"After the loss to TCU, I said, 'There's no point in me being down, too,' " Dotson said. " 'I gotta help turn a negative, a big negative, into a positive.' "

That meant chalk talks with starting ends C.J. Ah You and Calvin Thibodeaux.

" 'Zo' was probably one of our biggest critics," Ah You said. "He helped us a lot. You get a better look from the outside."

It meant checking his pride at the door and joining the scout team.

"Helping the offense get better," Dotson said.

It meant pumping weight-room iron while everyone else was in meetings or on road trips.

It meant coming to grips with position coach Chris Wilson.

"We sat down and talked about what his aspirations were, and let's focus on those," Wilson said. "We couldn't go back and beat him up twice. That was already done. We just moved forward and stayed as positive as we could and got him back on board."

At some point during the year, Dotson proved he indeed was back on board.

"We started seeing him make better grades," Wilson said. "He was consistently at the right places at the right times. He studied film. He became more of a leader.

"There comes a point as an adult that you have to form some expectations for you, instead of other people forming them for you. Alonzo reached that point and grew up a little bit."

It is a lesson as much about life as football that will be hammered home Saturday night at Owen Field.

"Sometimes it takes those things where you have full control over everything that occurred," Wilson said. "It gave Alonzo a chance to learn."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guerin Emig 581-8355
[email protected].

GDC
8/31/2006, 08:08 AM
Know the foe: UAB Blazers
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/31/2006

View in Print (PDF) Format

2005 record: 5-6

Coach: Watson Brown (12th year, 59-65; 21st year, 91-142-1 overall)

Web site: www.UABsports.com

Offense

Formation: Multiple, spread

2005 statistics: 64th nationally in rushing (142.6 ypg), 14th in passing (292.1 ypg), 21st in total offense (434.6 ypg) and 52nd in scoring (27.9 ppg).

Top players: Leading rusher Corey White (632 yards, 7 TDs, 4.9-yard average) is back, and he led a quartet of RBs. UAB is one of two schools with four RBs who have surpassed 100 yards in a game. OT Julius Wilson might become a star.

Defense

Formation: 4-3

2005 statistics: 59th in rushing defense (148.1 ypg), 70th in pass defense (224.3 ypg), 56th in total defense (372.4 ypg), 49th in scoring defense (24.0 ppg).

Top players: Leading tackler Orlandus King (85

tackles) and Butkus candidate Mastaki Smith (60) are back. DEs Larry McSwain (53 tackles, five sacks) and Jermaine McElveen (26 and four) are playmakers, and McSwain is the preseason C-USA defensive player of the year.

Special teams

2005 statistics: 113th in net punting (29.9), 104th in punt returns (5.9), 61st in kickoff returns (20.3).

Top players: PK Parker Mullins was 14-of-18 on FGs last year, but just 2-of-5 from beyond 40 yards. Mullins is also the punter and averaged 38.6 yards per punt in '05, but had two kicks blocked.

Notable

Brown was offensive coordinator at OU in 1993 and '94, and his quarterback coach in '93 was Sooners' running backs coach Cale Gundy. Gundy was on Brown's UAB staff from 1995-98 before returning to OU..

GDC
8/31/2006, 08:09 AM
Game day tips
8/31/2006

Weather

The National Weather Service forecasts a 40 percent chance of rain through Saturday and into game time. Fans are reminded that umbrellas are not allowed inside the stadium per Big 12 Conference rules.

Featured attractions

A statue of Steve Owens, Oklahoma's 1969 Heisman Trophy winner, will be unveiled during a 3:30 p.m. pregame ceremony at Heisman Park, across Jenkins Avenue east of Memorial Stadium. Among those scheduled to attend are Billy Sims and Jason White, two other Sooner Heisman winners whose statues will be added to the park in 2007.

Sooner Fan Fest, a free interactive area just north of the stadium, opens at 3 p.m. It features games, food vendors, autograph opportunities and radio pregame shows.

Parking

Public parking on campus is even more limited than in the past now that the limited spaces on Brooks Street north of the stadium are no longer available. Fans are encouraged to arrive early and either park off campus, or utilize one of the pay lots ($10 charge) on campus.

Free parking is available at the Lloyd Noble Center approximately one mile south of the stadium. For $2, fans may purchase a round-trip

shuttle ticket. The shuttle drops them a block south of the stadium before the game, and provides return trips to Lloyd Noble for one hour after the game's conclusion.

Entering

Bags, backpacks, video cameras and large purses are not allowed inside the stadium, unless they pertain to medical or child care. All carried items are subject to a security search at the gate.

Other items prohibited include outside food and beverage, alcoholic beverages, ice chests or coolers, banners and signs, baby strollers and noisemakers.

The general public may enter the stadium through Gates 1-7, 9 and 11-12. Public will call is located in the main ticket office in the Asp Avenue Parking Facility near Gate 1.

Travelers advisory

The only construction zone along the Turner Turnpike is a 2 -mile stretch near the Sapulpa exit. I-35 is wide open until Moore, where there is a brief stretch where the three lanes merge into two.

All access roads from the interstate to Norman are open, as are all streets in the vicinity of Owen Field..

GDC
8/31/2006, 08:10 AM
Notebook: Rhythm section
By GUERIN EMIG AND JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writers
8/31/2006

Quarterback Paul Thompson would probably do well to start out hot. He misfired early and, ultimately, often last season against TCU, and never found his groove. Completing passes early on Saturday against UAB would likely help in the long run.

"It would be good if it happened fast," said offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson. "I don't want to say he's a streaky guy, but he does go through periods.

"He does get where sometimes there's 5, 6, 7 or 8 throws in a row, whether it's 7-on-7 or team, where it's like, 'Wow, bang, bang, bang.' And then all of a sudden we're a little out of sync, whether the protection got him going or the route was ran wrong by a young guy or he just missed it."

Mr. Smith goes to offense: Athletically, cornerback Reggie Smith shouldn't have a problem playing wide receiver. Coach Bob Stoops said he anticipates 15-20 plays a game for Smith on offense, and Smith said he has a restricted package of just a few plays, so he should be fine mentally. He's in good enough shape, so stamina shouldn't hold him back. Still, there are challenges.

"The games are so hectic on the sidelines, can we find him?" Wilson said. "We tried to play Dan Cody some at tight end; Tommie Harris has done it. Can you find him? Sometimes

they're over there on the bench and they're talking defensively or they're tired. It'll be interesting to see in the heat of battle how much that really plays out."

That good? The Sooner defense has grabbed the attention of UAB coach Watson Brown.

"In my 12 years here, we've played some great teams. Defensively, this is maybe the best we've played," Brown said. "There was a Virginia Tech group with (1999 Lombardi Award winner) Corey Moore a few years ago. There was a Florida State team two, three or four years ago that was really good. This one compares to those two and may be better."

Heisman thoughts: SoonerSports.com, the official Web site for University of Oklahoma athletics, has a new feature called "All Day All Access", which amounts to a weekly Q&A between Peterson and a member of the OU sports information department.

The Web site says it'll ask Peterson -- nicknamed "All Day" by his father because of how long he could play as a child -- the best question posted by a reader.

This week's installment focuses on the Heisman Trophy. An excerpt:

"SS: Did you ever 'strike the pose' in the sandlot?

AD: Oh yeah, I struck the pose. Actually, I remember doing it a couple of times just out in the yard playing around with some guys from the neighborhood. I remember doing it that way in the mirror around 8 or 9.

SS: When was the last time you struck the pose?

AD: Probably my freshman year, just really as a joke. But since all of this hype has been going on, you're kind of hesitant to do it around people. They might take it in the wrong way."

Do you Yahoo AD? Peterson, according to data compiled by Internet search engine Yahoo, is the second-most searched college football player in the country. No. 1 was Notre Dame quarterback Brady Quinn.

Ohio State receiver Ted Ginn is third and Cal running back Marshawn Lynch is fourth..

GDC
8/31/2006, 08:11 AM
Questions with Jon Cooper
8/31/2006

What did you do for fun over the summer?

During May before we had to start workouts, I went to Puerto Rico with my parents. I had a really good time over there. Played golf, sat on the beach and relaxed. Nothing too stressful.

So you prefer the beach to the mountains of Colorado?

Oh no. Mountains, definitely. But just so long as I'm outdoors. I love to play golf, go camping, mountain biking, fishing, anything outdoors.

How long have you played golf?

I played off and on throughout high school, maybe a little in junior high. When I have time, I go out and hit balls or play nine holes. I love it.

Who's the best golfer on the team?

I know Coach (Kevin) Wilson is really good. The new quarterback, Sam Bradford, is really good. Joe Jon (Finley) isn't bad.

Seen any good movies lately?

That last 'Pirates of the Caribbean' ('Dead Man's Chest') was good.

Has a movie ever made you cry?

I wouldn't say I cried, but 'Brian's Song,' that's a sad movie right there./

SteelClip49
8/31/2006, 09:01 AM
as far as best looking media guides, the 2004 media guide I believe was the best one or it may have been the 2003 guide. One of them received best media guide presentation in the nation. All of them have been nice. The 2005 3D cover was a new interesting look.

StoopTroup
8/31/2006, 05:10 PM
Checkout the Highlight Video on Trent Williams.

He flattens a few guys. :D

SoonerSports - Trent Williams (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=507463&Q_SEASON=2006)

Cory Brandon's Video too. :D

SoonerSports - Cory Brandon (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=507445&Q_SEASON=2006)

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want Curtis to land on me. :eek:

Sooner Sports - Curtis Bailey (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPID=190&SPORT_TAB_SEL=02&DB_OEM_ID=300&SPSID=2470&ATCLID=507441&Q_SEASON=2006)

SicEmBaylor
8/31/2006, 08:18 PM
TCU by 1? HAH!