PDA

View Full Version : How many people still write checks on a regular basis?

royalfan5
8/30/2006, 03:27 PM
I write one check a month right now, everything I else I do via debit card or cash. I might write addidition check a year for taxes and other special things where I don't have the option. I was just wondering how many people still write checks for everything?

JohnnyMack
8/30/2006, 03:28 PM
We probably write 3 to 4 a month.

colleyvillesooner
8/30/2006, 03:30 PM

Rent and a haircut every other month.

Boomer.....
8/30/2006, 03:31 PM
Probably about 2 to 3 a month. Just the bills which don't have auto draft.

NormanPride
8/30/2006, 03:31 PM
http://www.bouncesheets.com/images/home/bounce_logo.gif

rebmus
8/30/2006, 03:35 PM
about 5... car, house, credit card, baby's momma, daycare.

and wtf does child support not cover daycare???

JohnnyMack
8/30/2006, 03:37 PM
H2o bill.

Sam's.

My speeding ticket. :O

That was all last month.

salth2o
8/30/2006, 03:50 PM
1 monthly check for h2o
3 at the end of the year for taxes

everything else is online...

8/30/2006, 03:51 PM
Maybe once a year.

GDC
8/30/2006, 03:56 PM
I haven't written a check in 4 or 5 years.

Rhino
8/30/2006, 03:56 PM
About five or so a month.

Gotta get rid of these checks, they're from two addresses ago.

tbl
8/30/2006, 04:01 PM
When I'm standing behind somebody in Home Depot, Grocery Store, etc., and they write a check, I follow them out to their cars and slowly bludgeon them with a tire iron. I do give the over 65 exemption since there's no WAY they're trusting those dadgum credit cards, but anybody from 64 down... tire iron.

It never fails. After waiting for 7 minutes for the checkout girl to scan all their items, they wait until they see the total to even break out a pen. WHAT - A - WHIP!!!!

TUSooner
8/30/2006, 04:05 PM
I still write lots of checks, but they're for mailing some bills or sending to school with the kiddoes & such.
I'm all for applying the tire iron to check writers in store lines.

rebmus
8/30/2006, 04:08 PM
applying the tire iron to check writers in store lines.
not a bad t-shirt slogan.

yermom
8/30/2006, 04:25 PM
checks are the debil

i think i have written 1-2 in the last 3 years

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2006, 04:51 PM
4 a month.

mrowl
8/30/2006, 05:14 PM
zero until the biz opened. now its about 20 a month. sucks. hard.

proud gonzo
8/30/2006, 05:22 PM
my mom writes checks all the time

Oldnslo
8/30/2006, 05:50 PM
I still have an account I write checks on. And you bastards can just cool yer jets for the 12 seconds it takes for me to fill the damn thing out.

:mad: I've got your tire iron RIGHT HERE:mad:

:hot:

MamaMia
8/30/2006, 05:57 PM
I write corporate checks for the office supplies here and there and tax deductible things. I also write corporate checks checks for medical. I write personal checks for whatever the children come selling at the door for their fund raising projects, like for girl scout cookies and such. I also write checks for things my kids need.

I'm thinking about writing a check as a donation to Anger Management Anonymous to help the patient impaired. ;)

TUSooner
8/30/2006, 06:20 PM
I still have an account I write checks on. And you bastards can just cool yer jets for the 12 seconds it takes for me to fill the damn thing out.

:mad: I've got your tire iron RIGHT HERE:mad:

:hot:
2 words:
DEBIT
frikkin
CARD

OK 3 words.

MamaMia
8/30/2006, 06:43 PM
2 words:
DEBIT
frikkin
CARD

OK 3 words.Do the Girl Scouts of America take DEBIT frekkin' CARDS? :D

rebmus
8/30/2006, 07:45 PM
Do the Girl Scouts of America take DEBIT frekkin' CARDS? :D
no... but they'll take the tire irons and by gosh LIKE IT!:hot: ;)

Geekboy
8/30/2006, 07:53 PM
I don't think prostitutes take checks, debit cards or credit cards.

At least that's what I've heard.

Frozen Sooner
8/30/2006, 08:03 PM
The assorted banks and credit unions of the world thank you for your ability to use a safer and quicker method of payment.

We'd also like to point out that the federal government will, in fact, take payment by VISA Check Card.

OCUDad
8/30/2006, 08:34 PM

Rent and a haircut every other month.You write a check to your barber? (or hairstylist/beautician if you're from Baylor?) :eek: Dude, nut up and hand over the kizash and a nice tip.

royalfan5
8/30/2006, 08:35 PM
I don't think prostitutes take checks, debit cards or credit cards.

At least that's what I've heard.
I'm sure they can set up a paypal account though.

Oldnslo
8/30/2006, 09:32 PM
2 words:
DEBIT
frikkin
CARD

OK 3 words.
The entire frikkin point of not having a debit frikkin card on this frikkin account is to make it a little more frikkin difficult to use so that when I want to buy some frikkin toy, there's some frikkin dough in the frikkin account to frikkin buy the frikkin gd thing.

capiche?

TUSooner
8/30/2006, 10:46 PM
The entire frikkin point of not having a debit frikkin card on this frikkin account is to make it a little more frikkin difficult to use so that when I want to buy some frikkin toy, there's some frikkin dough in the frikkin account to frikkin buy the frikkin gd thing.

capiche?
Really, what's more important? Your frikkin fiscal reponsibility, or OUR frikkin convenience? Besides, if you just shopped at frikkin WalMArt you wouldn't have to worry about the frikkin bucks!

;)

In fact, I need to go to WalMart and get a tire iron. I mean a frikkin tire iron.

rebmus
8/30/2006, 11:04 PM
You write a check to your barber? (or hairstylist/beautician if you're from Baylor?) :eek: Dude, nut up and hand over the kizash and a nice tip.

see, i've never heard of this chit until a couple of years ago. this is another WTF to me.

if i go to a barber that charges $10 for a haircut... it's a $10 haircut! now, if it's a she barber and i get a "happy ending"... no problem leaving a tip. where the heck did "tipping a barber" come from?

if someone asks me to fill out their taxes... it's a set rate. i don't expect a "tip". if they wanna leave one, fine. but EXPECT to be tipped for doing my job???

OCUDad
8/30/2006, 11:24 PM
see, i've never heard of this chit until a couple of years ago. this is another WTF to me.

if i go to a barber that charges $10 for a haircut... it's a $10 haircut! now, if it's a she barber and i get a "happy ending"... no problem leaving a tip. where the heck did "tipping a barber" come from?

if someone asks me to fill out their taxes... it's a set rate. i don't expect a "tip". if they wanna leave one, fine. but EXPECT to be tipped for doing my job???Well, see, that's because barbers, waiters, cab drivers, etc., are in what's known as "service occupations" and often depend on tips for their living. Whereas tax accountants and lawyers are in what's known as "screw the client occupations," make reasonable money, and don't deserve tips. :D

rebmus
8/30/2006, 11:38 PM
Well, see, that's because barbers, waiters, cab drivers, etc., are in what's known as "service occupations" and often depend on tips for their living.
i totally understand tipping waiters/waitresses/cab drivers. those employees are paid BELOW minimum wage and tips are AT LEAST 1/2 of their income. (this is a big gripe of mine against restaurants and cab companies, but that's another rant. imo, pay the employee for the job. charge me for the service.)

as far as barbers... i can understand tipping a barber working in a 10 man shop and he's possibly getting paid too little for his job (the owner's fault). my gripe... around her a barber opens a shop (by him/her self) and we're expected to "tip"??? imo, "tips" should be for an employee going "above and beyond". they should be EARNED, never EXPECTED. unfortionately, it's not set up that way.

lastly, i'm not a tax accountant... i'm a corporate accountant that does my own taxes and sometimes taxes for a few friends on the side. and even a tax accountant wouldn't reach quite the depths of hell as a phuggin lawyer.

soonerspiff
8/30/2006, 11:45 PM
I work in the music department at a Barnes and Noble... you'd be surprised at the number of people that will write a checks for $18 and less.

Why so many people don't carry around at least $20 in their wallets baffles me.

King Crimson
8/31/2006, 12:00 AM
i really like having a debit card. i write checks for rent and the vietnamese place i go to for lunch a few times a month. sliced beef rice noodle bowl, spring roll with hoison sauce, marinated cucumber salad and tea. that's the shizz.

and the credit card bill. I've had the same checking account for 10+ years and i'm on check 2442.

King Crimson
8/31/2006, 12:05 AM
but, i will second TU's tire iron comment. the closest grocery to my house is the most dysfunctional, bad attitude, crap store i've ever seen. but, due to convenience i buy a few things there if need be. like bread, deli turkey, some veggies, and club soda. they always only have the ABSOLUTE minimum of cashiers working and so there can be 10 customers in the store at 7 AM on Saturday and you'll wait in line for 10 minutes with 2 items. and someone is ALWAYS writing a check to multiply the absurdity.

OCUDad
8/31/2006, 12:08 AM
even a tax accountant wouldn't reach quite the depths of hell as a phuggin lawyer.Obviously you have never met my tax accountant. :D

rebmus
8/31/2006, 12:12 AM
Obviously you have never met my tax accountant. :D
and you've never met my ex wife... a phuggin lawyer. :mad:

Harry Beanbag
8/31/2006, 12:14 AM
but, i will second TU's tire iron comment. the closest grocery to my house is the most dysfunctional, bad attitude, crap store i've ever seen. but, due to convenience i buy a few things there if need be. like bread, deli turkey, some veggies, and club soda. they always only have the ABSOLUTE minimum of cashiers working and so there can be 10 customers in the store at 7 AM on Saturday and you'll wait in line for 10 minutes with 2 items. and someone is ALWAYS writing a check to multiply the absurdity.

That's why God invented self checkout lines. Those things rock.

King Crimson
8/31/2006, 12:16 AM
That's why God invented self checkout lines. Those things rock.

i agree. but this place doesn't have them.

the place i go to most of the time does.

Frozen Sooner
8/31/2006, 12:37 AM
i totally understand tipping waiters/waitresses/cab drivers. those employees are paid BELOW minimum wage and tips are AT LEAST 1/2 of their income. (this is a big gripe of mine against restaurants and cab companies, but that's another rant. imo, pay the employee for the job. charge me for the service.)

as far as barbers... i can understand tipping a barber working in a 10 man shop and he's possibly getting paid too little for his job (the owner's fault). my gripe... around her a barber opens a shop (by him/her self) and we're expected to "tip"??? imo, "tips" should be for an employee going "above and beyond". they should be EARNED, never EXPECTED. unfortionately, it's not set up that way.

lastly, i'm not a tax accountant... i'm a corporate accountant that does my own taxes and sometimes taxes for a few friends on the side. and even a tax accountant wouldn't reach quite the depths of hell as a phuggin lawyer.

You're confused on your tipping ettiquette.

You do not tip the owner of an establishment, ever. At least, you're not expected to. Whether that establishment is an eatery or it is a barber shop, they don't get tipped.

You DO tip the person who cuts your hair if they are not the owner-even if they booth rent, as most people in the hair industry do. The prices charged are set by the owner of the shop, and the owner typically takes a large percentage of the price. I always tip the girl who cuts my hair well. For one, it ensures that she takes time on my hair-much more than the small amount I have left warrants. For two, she rubs her boobies on my head and the back of my neck while snipping. I figure that's worth a sawbuck.

Harry Beanbag
8/31/2006, 12:41 AM
For two, she rubs her boobies on my head and the back of my neck while snipping.

I'm about due for a trim, where does she work?

rebmus
8/31/2006, 12:44 AM
You're confused on your tipping ettiquette.

You do not tip the owner of an establishment, ever. At least, you're not expected to. Whether that establishment is an eatery or it is a barber shop, they don't get tipped.

You DO tip the person who cuts your hair if they are not the owner-even if they booth rent, as most people in the hair industry do. The prices charged are set by the owner of the shop, and the owner typically takes a large percentage of the price. I always tip the girl who cuts my hair well. For one, it ensures that she takes time on my hair-much more than the small amount I have left warrants. For two, she rubs her boobies on my head and the back of my neck while snipping. I figure that's worth a sawbuck.
see... that's my complaint.

again, i can understand tipping a barber/stylest that works for a "company". understand, i'm in MS where most shops are single proprietors that work for themselves and themselves only. they have NO ONE working for them... it's a ONE person shop. yet...i'm expected to "tip" that ONE person that OWNS the business?

again, i don't have a problem with throwing a buck or two to the person if i'm very happy with the results... but i shouldn't be "expected" to tip in this instance.

Frozen Sooner
8/31/2006, 12:50 AM
I'm about due for a trim, where does she work?

Alaska. Her name is Jen. Come on up and I'll buy you a beer AND show you where she works. Then the magic can happen.

Frozen Sooner
8/31/2006, 12:50 AM
see... that's my complaint.

again, i can understand tipping a barber/stylest that works for a "company". understand, i'm in MS where most shops are single proprietors that work for themselves and themselves only. they have NO ONE working for them... it's a ONE person shop. yet...i'm expected to "tip" that ONE person that OWNS the business?

again, i don't have a problem with throwing a buck or two to the person if i'm very happy with the results... but i shouldn't be "expected" to tip in this instance.

You're not. Don't. I can't put it any plainer than that.

Harry Beanbag
8/31/2006, 12:53 AM
Alaska. Her name is Jen. Come on up and I'll buy you a beer AND show you where she works. Then the magic can happen.

Very tempting. :) I was in Anchorage about 9 years ago, but I'm afraid I'll most likely never make it up there again, no even for booby rubbin'.

rebmus
8/31/2006, 12:54 AM
so... to get things back to the fun/wonderful world that the SO is... give me directions! :D

Frozen Sooner
8/31/2006, 12:57 AM
Corner of Denali Street and Tudor Road. Ask for the new Jen, not the old one. The old one is still good lookin' but she doesn't do as much of the boobie rubbin.

rebmus
8/31/2006, 01:11 AM
Corner of Denali Street and Tudor Road. Ask for the new Jen, not the old one. The old one is still good lookin' but she doesn't do as much of the boobie rubbin.
old or young... the boobie rubbin ranks WAY above age.
just sayin

King Crimson
8/31/2006, 01:30 AM
old or young... the boobie rubbin ranks WAY above age.
just sayin

to quote the immortal Lightnin' Hopkins: she may be old, she may have years....but she ain't to old to shift dem gears.

though, i'd prob prefer new Jen, all other variables being equal.

SteelPanz
8/31/2006, 09:47 AM
So basically, to illustrate how often I write checks, the address on the top left of my checks is like 5 addresses ago.

MamaMia
8/31/2006, 09:53 AM
I'm on my way to get some things for the clinic. You check writer haters may be happy to know that I have filled out all but the amount and signature, so I don't cost anyone behind me in line a whole 20 seconds of their day. :O

GDC
8/31/2006, 10:09 AM
...she rubs her boobies on my head and the back of my neck while snipping. I figure that's worth a sawbuck.

The dentist I go to has a young hot assistant or hygienist that does that as well, should I tip her?

C&CDean
8/31/2006, 10:22 AM
I write checks. For bills, for feed, for farm implements, for taxes, and for supplies for the SF.com tailgate. I use a debit card for fuel. Momma uses a debit card at the Super WalMart.

And while whoever it was that gets ****ed off when I write a check at the Home Depot or Atwoods can kiss my ***. I'm sitting there waiting behind you while the clerk is going "sir, your credit card is not being accepted......."

And my biggest credit card pet peeve is students. I'm at Padthai the other day, some schmo orders fried rice, and pays the $3 bill with a card. WTF? Take your card next door, get you a couple hundred in cash and quit holding me up.