PDA

View Full Version : Heisman - do fans/alumni care?

BeetDigger
8/30/2006, 10:34 AM
Just a quick question for the board. Does it matter if an OU player wins the Heisman? Do students, alumni, and/or fans care? I am just curious. I'm not just referring to this year where AD is front runner. I am also asking about previous winners too. My assumption is that they do.

I have spoken with some ND and Penn State fans who say they don't care of players from the schools they root for (they are not alumni of the schools they root for) win it. I say the fans (meaning non-alumni/students) and alumni do care.

TIA. :twinkies:

GDC
8/30/2006, 10:38 AM
I think this is a no-brainer, if you pull for the team you pull for the individual players too.

OKLA21FAN
8/30/2006, 10:41 AM
When a player like Jason wins it , to me it becomes more special then when are player wins it that was 'supposed' to win it. But either way it is a source of pride for any university.

tbl
8/30/2006, 10:42 AM
If we lose it then we don't care, if we win it, it's awesome.

4everasooner
8/30/2006, 10:43 AM
of course people care or they would not watch

Jason White's Third Knee
8/30/2006, 10:45 AM
Hell, yes. I care.

Heupel vs. Weinke?

Yeah. I care.

JonnyRed
8/30/2006, 10:52 AM
Ask your friends at the end of the year. If there is a OU, ND, and Penn St player in the runnings for it, they will care!

BeetDigger
8/30/2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the responses. Keep them coming. I sense that most fans and alumni care a lot. I suspect that most fans and alumni of PSU and ND care too.

Octavian
8/30/2006, 11:03 AM
OU is unveiling a larger-than-life statue of Steve Owens on Saturday a stones throw away from the stadium.

USC completely renovated Heritage Hall for their recent trio of winners.

The Heisman (regardless of how subjective and inaccurate it may be at times) is the most prestigous individual award in American sports.

It doesn't determine championships and doesn't end the debate on the who's the best player in the country but it does matter a lot.

soonerinabilene
8/30/2006, 12:46 PM
i think it gives a boost to the program the player represents. if you are recruiting a stud, and he narrows it down to you and another school, and you have a guy at his position that wins the heisman that year, i think it works to your advantedge. not as much as a national championship, but it does help.

Stoop Dawg
8/30/2006, 12:55 PM
Given the amount of money that the universities themselves spend pimping their players, I think we can assume that they care too.

SteelClip49
8/30/2006, 01:16 PM
IMO, with the exception of USC last few years with their 3 heisman winners and 2 national titles, teams with heisman winners and no national titles treat it as a big deal. To them, the heisman is a national title because of how prestigious the award is. Teams with national titles could care less about winning a Heisman or not. Titles are won together and a Heisman can be a team effort but at the end is won by just 1 person. USC fans make a big deal out of both titles and heismans because they are trying to compete with Notre Dame and Alabama for the #1 overall college football tradition even though Alabama has 0 titles. Alabama fans could care less about the heisman. They have 10 national titles (which is the right amount, 7 since the AP began). To me, Oklahoma is about winning championships and that is the main goal. Stoops never stresses about the Heisman over and over. The Heisman is all about the player. The championship is all about the university and the entire fan base. It's a nice addition to the overall success Oklahoma has. With the 2007 centennial coming up, Heisman Park will be complete with either 4 or 5 statues. The Switzer Center is only open 2 days a week and fans can't view the trophies like they can outside. It will be a nice addition to the university and a nice attraction for fans of all teams to enjoy.

To sum it up, for OU it's an added attraction and just personifies the great success and tradition of Oklahoma football. 3 of the 4 Heisman winners were members of national title teams. Also, these statues were made possible because of private donations and to tell the people out there that OU football is a valued treasure and want others to know what Oklahoma is all about. It doesn't matter if OU has or doesn't have heisman winners. At the end of the day, Oklahoma still has a lot to brag about and it will only continue to grow.

FTR, Josh Heupel losing the Heisman to Chris Weinke did not matter. Torrance Marshall, I believe, made the comment in the 2001 Orange Bowl about taking the Heisman back to our boy or some sort. At the end of the day, the Heisman wasn't even a thought because Oklahoma was the national champion.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/30/2006, 01:26 PM
OU is unveiling a larger-than-life statue of Steve Owens on Saturday a stones throw away from the stadium.

The Heisman (regardless of how subjective and inaccurate it may be at times) is the most prestigous individual award in American sports.

It doesn't determine championships and doesn't end the debate on the who's the best player in the country but it does matter a lot.

usc has 3 winners in 4 years... No, it's not the system there. In Lubbock, it's the system.

I hate the Heisman voting though. Paul Hornung over Tommy McDonald? Archie Griffin over Joe Washington? Charles White over Billy Sims? Weinke over Heupel? And Leinart over White? I can argue any one of those with ease.

OUmillenium
8/30/2006, 01:27 PM
Yeah, Sooner fans talk about Heisman stuff all the time. It is another category we own over the lucky-to-win-a-championship-every-35-years whorns.:texan:

Sooner_Bob
8/30/2006, 01:31 PM
If it came down to a Heisman or a MNC most fans worth their salt would say give us the MNC.

The Heisman is just icing on the cake.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/30/2006, 01:39 PM
Of course, the MNC. But I'd still give Lienart or Weinke a quick chop to the throat if I had the chance.

Octavian
8/30/2006, 03:11 PM

usc has 3 winners in 4 years... No, it's not the system there. In Lubbock, it's the system.

:confused:

TheGodfather889
8/30/2006, 03:18 PM
I care alot about who wins the Heisman. Growing up my dream was to always win the Heisman. Of course it turned out I didn't have that kind of talent.:D I've kept track of the winners in my lifetime. I know alot about the history of the Heisman. I revere and respect Heisman Trophy winners to a very high degree. When Jason White won the Heisman in 2003, I was ecstatic. I was so happy for him. Now it is preseason of 2006 and I want Adrian Peterson to win it very badly.

AlabamaSooner
8/30/2006, 03:28 PM
I would rather win as a "team" and win the NC over a Heisman every year, but winning the Heisman definitely brings you pride for your university. I definitely care about winning it, but more so about winning the NC.

BeetDigger
8/30/2006, 03:32 PM
If it came down to a Heisman or a MNC most fans worth their salt would say give us the MNC.

The Heisman is just icing on the cake.

Agree. But I also think that if it comes down to it, a fan would rather see someone from their team win it.

westcoast_sooner
8/30/2006, 04:13 PM
If you think about it, no Heisman winner ever wins it alone. A great running back, QB or whoever can only win the Heisman with the help and support of his entire team, so I think it's a great reflection of the team.

I would really like to see AD win it this year, but for him to do that, the O-Line has to block well, PT has to keep the defense honest by being able to hit some passes, and the D has to get the ball into the offenses hands.

Of course I care. It's a source of pride in a player, and in our Sooners.

goingoneight
8/30/2006, 09:25 PM
If you think about it, no Heisman winner ever wins it alone. A great running back, QB or whoever can only win the Heisman with the help and support of his entire team, so I think it's a great reflection of the team.

I would really like to see AD win it this year, but for him to do that, the O-Line has to block well, PT has to keep the defense honest by being able to hit some passes, and the D has to get the ball into the offenses hands.

Of course I care. It's a source of pride in a player, and in our Sooners.

Of course if PT doesn't do well passing and AD workhorses and wins it anyway... wow. Just sayin'. :D

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 10:36 PM
I like that we can claim both Heismans and MNCs. A Heisman trophy winner is a source of pride for the University. As to which is better? No brainer. I'd take 2000 (Heisman runner-up/MNC winner) to 2003 (Heisman winner/MNC runner-up) any day of the week. I would much rather AD lose the Heisman and we win the MNC this year than the other way around.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/31/2006, 09:38 AM
:confused:

I was referring to the media giving usc 3 heismans in 4 years, but when TT's qb's have astronomical numbers, they say that it's the system that makes them look so good.

If Tech had a defense, they'd win more games and get heismans. usc has had a pretty damned good D, so they get the offensive numbers AND win games. Yes, the USC players are great, but they are getting too many heismans to make it legit. It's the ****ing system there too people.

westcoast_sooner
8/31/2006, 09:46 AM
I like that we can claim both Heismans and MNCs. A Heisman trophy winner is a source of pride for the University. As to which is better? No brainer. I'd take 2000 (Heisman runner-up/MNC winner) to 2003 (Heisman winner/MNC runner-up) any day of the week. I would much rather AD lose the Heisman and we win the MNC this year than the other way around.

I'm with you there. If it's a choice between a MNC or a Heisman winner, I'll take the MNC every time. But it always seems like the teams that are in the picture for a MNC have at least one Heisman candidate.

rogcoley
8/31/2006, 11:05 AM
I don’t believe in god or fairy tales or voodoo, but if I did I would call it Heisman. Jeez Louise !!!! Look at the winners that have sucked out loud or had early injuries after winning the voodoo statue. Bo Jackson, Chris Weinerkee,Charles White, Archie Griffin,Eric Crouch, Ricky WillIplayagainWilliams,Rashaan Salaam ??? I’m glad to see Sooners win awards but damn, what is up with the Heisman ??? If you’re unfortunate enough to be as old as I am, go to this link and remember the ill fortunes of the vast majority of those listed.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/heisman/heisman_trophy_winners.htm

TheGodfather889
8/31/2006, 11:55 AM
I don’t believe in god or fairy tales or voodoo, but if I did I would call it Heisman. Jeez Louise !!!! Look at the winners that have sucked out loud or had early injuries after winning the voodoo statue. Bo Jackson, Chris Weinerkee,Charles White, Archie Griffin,Eric Crouch, Ricky WillIplayagainWilliams,Rashaan Salaam ??? I’m glad to see Sooners win awards but damn, what is up with the Heisman ??? If you’re unfortunate enough to be as old as I am, go to this link and remember the ill fortunes of the vast majority of those listed.

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/heisman/heisman_trophy_winners.htm
The Heisman Trophy once again is not about what you do in the NFL or project what kind of prospect you be. All those players you named,were all great college players. College is what counts and I think all those guys deserved it.

SteelClip49
8/31/2006, 12:17 PM
I believe the last school to have a Heisman winner and to this day with 0 national titles is Ron Dayne of Wisconsin in 1999. Perhaps beacuse Wisconsin plays in the Big 10+1 it's maybe not as big of a stand out because of the conference titles and Rose Bowls they have won.

To me, the last school to have recognition where now they are off the map is Houston with Andre Ware in 1989. For them it has to be the ultimate accomplishment in their history other than being the last team to score 100 points in a game back in 1968.

FlatheadSooner
8/31/2006, 12:23 PM
IMO, with the exception of USC last few years with their 3 heisman winners and ONE national title, teams with heisman winners and no national titles treat it as a big deal.

Fixed. :rolleyes:

rogcoley
9/3/2006, 07:27 PM
The Heisman Trophy once again is not about what you do in the NFL or project what kind of prospect you be. All those players you named,were all great college players. College is what counts and I think all those guys deserved it.

I didn't say the people I listed didn't deserve it, lame-brain. I was making reference to a perceived "curse" once a player won and was in the NFL. Capiche? You have trouble with directions and playing well with others, don't you? I'm well aware that the Heisman is a college award tater nuts.