PDA

View Full Version : OUr toughest games

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 02:46 AM
I don't remember if there was another thread about this, and my server doesn't let me do the search, so here we go.

The obvious toughies are Oregon at Autzen and Red River.

Oregon should be a big challenge, given that it's supposed to be the west coast version of Kyle and the Duckies will be looking to prove something to the world. Their QB is good (Dixon or Leaf, take your pick), their sophomore RB - Jonathan Stewart is awesome, they have great receivers like any PAC 10 team, and their D should still be good (despite losing Ngata to the NFL).

I don't even need to mention saxet. Their QB situation is their only question. They are loaded across the board everywhere else...hey, kinda like some other team I know that's just north of the red river from them...

The real question is -- what is OUr next toughest game after that?

I'm going to say aTm. Before the negspekkers come out, I'm saying it mostly because of OUr seemingly superhuman challenge overcoming the Aggies at Kyle. We won by TM's brilliant INT in 2000, we lost to Freshman QB McNeal in 2002 when he beat us deep, and that beauty of a pass from JW to Mark Bradley was all that saved us in 2004. aTm was positively crappy last year, but they were plagued by injuries and we still only won by 6 in Norman.

Their young QB, McGee, didn't look all that great passing against us, but he had some nice runs and he did a great job against Tejas the following week. All those injuries have given them some quality starters this year. They have three starters back on the line. They have Martellus Bennett at TE, and he is a star. They signed Mike Goodson out of HS, and he could be a superstar in the near future at RB.

They have some good defensive starters back, including D-Linemen Red Bryant and Jason Jack and LB Justin Warren. Their transition to the 4-2-5 under Darnell should be a good one, especially with some of the quality depth they have in the secondary. Mark Dodge (http://www.aggieathletics.com/bios.php?SID=MFB&PID=7804&YOS=2006), an older guy and Juco transfer who used to be a Soldier (and was at the Pentagon on 9-11), could be a real leader from his LB spot.

I never feel good about going to Kyle field, but I think the Aggies will be underrated this year. I am worried about that trip more than any other game on OUr schedule (other than the two previously mentioned contests). Aside from 2003 and 2001 (both in Norman), we've had a rough time putting aTm away.

The Mizzou trip is another possibility, given that the last time we played them at Faurot (I was there) in 2002, we needed Matt McCoy to toss a pass to Chris Chester on a fake FG. Brad Smith toyed with OUr rock-solid D all day long. Their new QB, Chase Daniel, is supposed to be a spread offense master (same offense he ran at Southlake Carroll).

Thoughts?

Readyfor8
8/30/2006, 03:29 AM
Good post, it has been discussed beyond nausea, but I think its worth talking about it.

I think this team is lacking in two major areas. Mojo is the first, and while I think this team feels like they have something to prove, I think they are going to need what every MNC winner has always had and thats Mojo. Second is confidence, this team needs to know that they can put on the pads and play with anyone in the country.

The way this schedule is layed out, Mojo and Confidence can be built just like any one peice of talent. UAB is the first hurdle and if they can start these games and keep focus, this schedule will fall like dominos.

Play loose, keep focus, and just win baby. Mojo and Confidence will carry this team from there.

MamaMia
8/30/2006, 05:27 AM
I think our toughest games will be Oregon, Texas and Texas A&M, but then again who am I to judge? I would not have thought in a million years that TCU would have beaten us, and at home no less.

Harry Beanbag
8/30/2006, 06:54 AM
A&M should be much improved and their schedule is a joke. They could even be undefeated when the Sooners roll into town.

4everasooner
8/30/2006, 07:08 AM
Oregon has lost a starting DE. Read it somewhere yesterday and can't remember where, damn beer.

soonerlaw
8/30/2006, 09:12 AM
Agreed with TAMU. Kyle field is a hard place to play. The other one that worries me is that damn OSU game. It seems everytime its in stoolwater, those guys always play beyond themselves. I still think we win, but it could be a tough one.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/30/2006, 09:20 AM
Every game is tough. But I'll probably say Texas is the toughest right now. They have the best defense. All the road games will be tough for such a young team.