PDA

View Full Version : attorney/shark folks. I got a ?

olevetonahill
8/29/2006, 11:32 PM
Its been over 4 yrs since I got hit from behind by an 18 wheeler :eek:
Dayum minnow that I let take the case on a a 25% thing has Done Nothing:mad: . He has kept the thing alive by filing all the correct reponses and suits . then dropping em only to refile later
If I tell him to go kiss doleo, can I hire another attorney that will get something done ? without Owing this idiot anything ?
THIA

Ardmore_Sooner
8/30/2006, 12:02 AM
If I tell him to go kiss doleo,

Why would you wish that upon any human being? ;)

Okla-homey
8/30/2006, 05:10 AM
Its been over 4 yrs since I got hit from behind by an 18 wheeler :eek:
Dayum minnow that I let take the case on a a 25% thing has Done Nothing:mad: . He has kept the thing alive by filing all the correct reponses and suits . then dropping em only to refile later
If I tell him to go kiss doleo, can I hire another attorney that will get something done ? without Owing this idiot anything ?
THIA

Lighting the Oldnslo signal.

AlbqSooner
8/30/2006, 06:38 AM
If you fire him, he is entitled to be compensated on a "quantum meruit" basis. He would probably get something if push came to shove. However, it would be based on what value he added to your case. Frequently, the inquiry will be what was the best offer he obtained by the time you axed him and he would be entitled to 25% of that. Plus, any costs he has paid on your behalf up to this time would be compensable. These would include Court costs for filing the suit, deposition costs and so forth. Because he is a lawyer, everything is negotiable. If you do not have any faith in this guy, get rid of him. Even if you get someone who is no better, but who you trust, you will be better off in the long run, IMO.

Phil
8/30/2006, 07:59 AM
Good advice from Albq. Square on the button.

If you want to talk to a good lawyer about taking it over, you can PM me or OldnSlo. Lid is not eligible, 'cause he's not admitted to practice in Oklahoma. And he's a Horn.

GDC
8/30/2006, 08:03 AM
Lid is not eligible, 'cause he's a Horn.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA:texan:

olevetonahill
8/30/2006, 08:25 AM
Why would you wish that upon any human being? ;)
your right Doleo don't deserve that kinda treatment ;)

olevetonahill
8/30/2006, 08:29 AM
If you fire him, he is entitled to be compensated on a "quantum meruit" basis. He would probably get something if push came to shove. However, it would be based on what value he added to your case. Frequently, the inquiry will be what was the best offer he obtained by the time you axed him and he would be entitled to 25% of that. Plus, any costs he has paid on your behalf up to this time would be compensable. These would include Court costs for filing the suit, deposition costs and so forth. Because he is a lawyer, everything is negotiable. If you do not have any faith in this guy, get rid of him. Even if you get someone who is no better, but who you trust, you will be better off in the long run, IMO.
he has told me that they have offered 5000
2 yrs ago
now he says they wont even talk to him
filing fees are 180 or so the 1st time he filed things again in june but Ive yet to hear a word from him .
Im just real tired of Not ever being able to hear from him or get a response as to whats going on :mad:
Im gonn Peem Phil

Okla-homey
8/30/2006, 09:01 AM

Might some of these conditions be addressed in the retainer agreement Vet and the lawyer signed -- which vet should still have somewhere in one his footlockers or ammo cans there in his quanset hut?

MamaMia
8/30/2006, 09:04 AM

If you want to talk to a good lawyer about taking it over, you can PM me or OldnSlo. Lid is not eligible, 'cause he's not admitted to practice in Oklahoma. And he's a Horn.
Lid still gives good advice though, plus he is a gentleman. I can only think of one time that he was really annoying. :)

olevetonahill
8/30/2006, 09:10 AM
Might some of these conditions be addressed in the retainer agreement Vet and the lawyer signed -- which vet should still have somewhere in one his footlockers or ammo cans there in his quanset hut?
I have never seen anything Nor signed anything with this guy
As far as I know its all been verbal
My Doc said after the mris that it wasnt IF i needed surgerey it was a matter of when I said Ok im tired of hurting lets get it on . But I can still place one foot in front of the other and I aint gonna let some one come up behind me with a knife . Hell Ill charge Hell with a collander full of water but I just cant submit to letting someone Cut me .

olevetonahill
8/30/2006, 09:11 AM
Lid still gives good advice though, plus he is a gentleman. I can only think of one time that he was really annoying. :)
I remember that time it was when
Oh yea he was being a :texan: :P

TexasLidig8r
8/30/2006, 09:14 AM

PRO HAC VICE!!! PRO HAC VICE!!! :D

Okla-homey
8/30/2006, 09:22 AM
PRO HAC VICE!!! PRO HAC VICE!!! :D

You stay on your side of the river please.;)

GDC
8/30/2006, 09:59 AM
I remember that time it was when
Oh yea he was being a :texan: :P

heh

OCUDad
8/30/2006, 10:48 AM
PRO HAC VICE!!! PRO HAC VICE!!! :DFor the layperson, that's Latin for "even if I'm not allowed to practice in your state, I can still take your money."

Oldnslo
8/30/2006, 11:01 AM
Late to the party, 'cause I'm busy protecting my clients' rights and all.

Choose Phil. Or me. Or someone else who you have confidence in.

The single biggest factor in picking an attorney is communication. In my opinion, the crushing majority of issues which come up between clients and counsel is from a lack of communication.

Or if they're Latin-spouting whorns.

TexasLidig8r
8/30/2006, 11:16 AM
I have never seen anything Nor signed anything with this guy
As far as I know its all been verbal

YIKES! In Texas, an attorney is required to have a contingency fee contract in writing.. also, it's a violation of the Canon of Ethics NOT to have it in writing.

If not, and there is a dispute, the attorney is not allowed to recover his fees, costs incurred or under quantum meruit.

Taxman71
8/30/2006, 01:01 PM
I don't see how any lawyer worth his degree on the wall could ever take a case on contingency without a written engagement letter. As Lid said, it is likely an ethical violation.

Sounds like this guy has done all he could for you. I would cut the cord now and get a more experienced P.I. guy, preferably a well-known guy who can make the other side move. Anything due to your current lawyer is negotiable and highly questionable without a written engagement letter. The fact he failed to inform you of the previous settlement offer is indicative of his shortcomings. 4 years withhout significant discovery, briefings and negotiations indicates he is not zealously advocating your interests.

GDC
8/30/2006, 01:07 PM
The only time I got hit like that, the Mexican's insurance had expired the night before at midnight.:mad:

TUSooner
8/30/2006, 02:09 PM

Absolutely.
Fortunately, I am also not eligible. :cool:

Perhaps you could also ask VK about how to file a complaint with the Okie Bar association, if the guy has been neglecting a legal matter entrusted to him.

AlbqSooner
8/30/2006, 07:50 PM
The single biggest factor in picking an attorney is communication. In my opinion, the crushing majority of issues which come up between clients and counsel is from a lack of communication.
Bar statistics bear this out. The highest category of Bar greivances filed is failure to adequately communicate with a client.

olevetonahill
8/30/2006, 09:30 PM
Bar statistics bear this out. The highest category of Bar greivances filed is failure to adequately communicate with a client.
Thats what Im talking about
. Last Nov mid 12th 15th ? He had his sec. set up an appointment . Im ok with that . I go in and he tells me all this horse****. Then tells me call him in 30 days . Thats about Dec 15th rite ?
Ive called more than I can count but to this Day I have not spoken to him , Nor gotten any correspondence . Ill call and his sec . says do you want his voice mail? I say hell no he never returns my calls anyway . Then I say Ya Ill leave another message !:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oldnslo
8/30/2006, 09:35 PM
hmmm. and my phone number, 918-582-0582, is so difficult to forget.