PDA

View Full Version : How you know you're a Sooner

ADs_Agent
8/29/2006, 10:30 PM
I attend the prestigious University of Central Oklahoma for the simple reason that something that looks pretty in a dress goes there and I am shackled by a finger on my left hand to attend there as well, but today in my speech class we had to give a small speech about what makes us who we are and to bring props. I used the usual; a picture of the wife, a picture of my dog but finished it off with my favorite possession, my Adrian Peterson jersey that was a gift to me from my dad by marriage. Finishing the speech I stated

"I'm a Bronco by marriage, but a Sooner by birth and once the wife graduates I'm migrating back to Norman."

Snrfn4ever08
8/29/2006, 10:32 PM
I attend the prestigious University of Central Oklahoma for the simple reason that something that looks pretty in a dress goes there and I am shackled by a finger on my left hand to attend there as well, but today in my speech class we had to give a small speech about what makes us who we are and to bring props. I used the usual; a picture of the wife, a picture of my dog but finished it off with my favorite possession, my Adrian Peterson jersey that was a gift to me from my dad by marriage. Finishing the speech I stated

"I'm a Bronco by marriage, but a Sooner by birth and once the wife graduates I'm migrating back to Norman."
i'm proud of you. i think i'm gonna cry:D

ADs_Agent
8/29/2006, 10:33 PM
in summarizing the speech I said,

"to conclude, my life involves a pretty girl, goofy dog, and BOOMER SOONER's!"

Snrfn4ever08
8/29/2006, 10:33 PM

"to conclude, I'm about a pretty girl, goofy dog, and BOOMER SOONER"
i might have to borrow that line some day;)

ADs_Agent
8/29/2006, 10:35 PM
:D

boomersooner28
8/29/2006, 11:07 PM
Careful! There are those around here that believe that you are not a true "Sooner" unless you attend/attended the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. And, if you have not or do not attend OU, you are not supposed to be cheering for the Sooners. :rolleyes:

I think that is retarded by the way. :pop:

ADs_Agent
8/29/2006, 11:08 PM
my father and father-in-law both attended and I am going to graduate school there in the next 1 1/2 years.

All_Day_28
8/29/2006, 11:10 PM
dude, how could you ever let a girl keep you from OU

Jimminy Crimson
8/30/2006, 01:55 AM
"I'm a Broncho by marriage, but a Sooner by birth and once the wife graduates I'm migrating back to Norman."

fixed! :)

olevetonahill
8/30/2006, 02:07 AM

"to conclude, my life involves OU football , Knothead my dog , and BOOMER the Bird . Oh and BOOMER SOONER !"
Fixed :D

OUGreg723
8/30/2006, 10:05 AM
I go to OU!!:D

AlabamaSooner
8/30/2006, 12:51 PM
Careful! There are those around here that believe that you are not a true "Sooner" unless you attend/attended the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK. And, if you have not or do not attend OU, you are not supposed to be cheering for the Sooners. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I've seen that discussion on here many times. I think it's retarded too. I'm an OU alum and feel that if you are a fan of the Sooners, then you are a FAN of the Sooners. Non-OU alumni are just as much fans as I am (an OU alum).

start8
8/30/2006, 12:57 PM
If you know who ENA is...

Blues1
8/30/2006, 01:26 PM
Both of my parents were from the Southwest - Ark and texas - they went north for jobs - I was born in Chicago and had no say about it -- :D

When they bought a summer home outside of Oklahoma City when I was 5 years old - I then spent about half my growing up years in Oklahoma and half in Chicago -- The kids in Oklahoma thought I was yankee - the kids in chicago thought I was southern boy..You might say - I got to see both sides of fence...I'm a Sooner - Because I choose to be.......:)

Everybody get Rockin' -We are gonna Kick A$$ this Season....!!!!

Jason White's Third Knee
8/30/2006, 01:42 PM

If you are a bandwagoner, good to see you. But if you get off, STAY THE **** OFF!!!!

All_Day_28
8/30/2006, 01:50 PM
I go to OU!!:D
me too:D

jwlynn64
8/30/2006, 02:00 PM
Yeah, I've seen that discussion on here many times. I think it's retarded too. I'm an OU alum and feel that if you are a fan of the Sooners, then you are a FAN of the Sooners. Non-OU alumni are just as much fans as I am (an OU alum).

As far as rooting for sports go, anyone can ( and should ) be a Sooner Fan. But as far as being a fan of the School in general, I think that it carries much more weight if you attended the University.

I live in Dallas now and I have met quite a few Sooner fans during my 10 years here. Generally I'll ask if they attended and when? It is a little disappointing when they respond with "Oh, I didn't go there, I just like the team."

There is a shared bond when someone answers that they attended or graduated. You can chat about the different watering holes, Engineers week (especially Green Beer day), changes in the stadium, apartments you lived in etc....

Not attending doesn't make you less of a fan but it does diminish the shared experiences and feeling of brotherhood.

I also find that having attended gives you extra ammunition when arguing with fans of other schools. Being able to brag about the number of Rhode Scholars that OU graduates, graduating percentage of athletes, etc... so, if you didn't attend, arm yourself with the history and tradition of the school and you'll win a lot more arguments about what school is the best.

MiccoMacey
8/30/2006, 02:01 PM

Your opinion doesn't matter unless you attend/attended OU. :D

Jason White's Third Knee
8/30/2006, 02:13 PM
As far as rooting for sports go, anyone can ( and should ) be a Sooner Fan. But as far as being a fan of the School in general, I think that it carries much more weight if you attended the University.

I live in Dallas now and I have met quite a few Sooner fans during my 10 years here. Generally I'll ask if they attended and when? It is a little disappointing when they respond with "Oh, I didn't go there, I just like the team."

There is a shared bond when someone answers that they attended or graduated. You can chat about the different watering holes, Engineers week (especially Green Beer day), changes in the stadium, apartments you lived in etc....

Not attending doesn't make you less of a fan but it does diminish the shared experiences and feeling of brotherhood.

I also find that having attended gives you extra ammunition when arguing with fans of other schools. Being able to brag about the number of Rhode Scholars that OU graduates, graduating percentage of athletes, etc... so, if you didn't attend, arm yourself with the history and tradition of the school and you'll win a lot more arguments about what school is the best.

Rhode Scholar smack? I'll pass. I did attend OU, albeit breifly, but I am a superfan.

I would have been a superfan regardless, because I was raised a superfan. Every damned thing I owned had OU on it growing up and I loved it. I know more about OU football than 95% of the OU fans out there. Not being egotistical. I was obsessed. My dad and I drove from NM to Norman pretty frequently to go to the games. My dad STILL drives from southeast NM to just about every home game and he's 74. I live in IL, so I get the satellite feeds and hit a few games a year.

That's what is great about this board is that it's a nice place for fans to rub elbows. I never talk about or argue about dorms or bars, because I am not a dorm or bar fan. God bless the gymnastics team and the wrestlers, but...

I am a OU Football fan.

Word.

soonersweetie
8/30/2006, 02:38 PM
I agree, I went to OU in 85-86. However, my dad has had season seats in the North Endzone and has been a ticket holder for over 30+ years. He did not attend OU but chose to serve our country in the Air Force. He eats, sleeps and breathes OU Football. He took me to my first OU game when I was 3 yrs old and I have been an OU fan ever since.

My husband thinks I walk on water since I am such a sports nut. We have two tv's in the living room, both ESPN Gameplan and NFL Sunday Ticket. And I would much rather watch football than a movie or go to the mall or some place fancy. My weekends are spent glued to the college and pro football games with much emphasis on our Sooners. As for our kids, they are a product of their environment and live for Sooner football as well.

I believe that you can definitely be a fan of a school even if you did not attend there.

Boomer Sooner!!!

jwlynn64
8/30/2006, 02:45 PM
JKTK, your post proves my point. Attending (obviously for longer than you did, ;) ) is part of what makes you a fan of the school and not just the football team.

When you attend the games, do you participate in the OU Chant?

My path to being a Sooner Fan is just the opposite from you. Since I was the first person to attend college in my familty, no one in my household had any college loyalties. I really didn't root for any college teams.

It was only after I attended, that I started to pay attention to OU sports. I can remember the glorious day in the early ninties that we derailed aTm when there were expected to compete for a MNC. I had to watch the game at O'Connels that day because there wasn't any place to stand or sit in the student section.

In my case, I was a fan of the school before I was a fan of the team.

The Maestro
8/30/2006, 02:51 PM
I didn't go to the Dallas Cowboys, but I cheer for them.

jwlynn64
8/30/2006, 03:07 PM

Are you a fan of the city of Dallas?

Attending a campus gives you a sort of home town mentality towards the school.

I also think that I'm arguing a different point than you are. I have never questioned anyone being fans of the football team. I have only argued that attending the university helps to make you a fan of the school.

AlabamaSooner
8/30/2006, 03:35 PM

I gotta say that that was a pretty good one :P

ADs_Agent
8/30/2006, 07:56 PM

Blue
8/30/2006, 08:02 PM
I agree, I went to OU in 85-86. However, my dad has had season seats in the North Endzone and has been a ticket holder for over 30+ years. He did not attend OU but chose to serve our country in the Air Force. He eats, sleeps and breathes OU Football. He took me to my first OU game when I was 3 yrs old and I have been an OU fan ever since.

My husband thinks I walk on water since I am such a sports nut. We have two tv's in the living room, both ESPN Gameplan and NFL Sunday Ticket. And I would much rather watch football than a movie or go to the mall or some place fancy. My weekends are spent glued to the college and pro football games with much emphasis on our Sooners. As for our kids, they are a product of their environment and live for Sooner football as well.

I believe that you can definitely be a fan of a school even if you did not attend there.

Boomer Sooner!!!

God Bless You! :D

Usually Soonerfans that are born and bread are more knowlegeable and passionate than someone who just happened to go to OU.

We're all Sooners.

douxpaysan
8/30/2006, 08:23 PM
You know you are a Sooner when, one side yells "Booomer" and the other screams "Soooner", and you get chills. Sooner Nation is a "Big Top" circus with every variety of fan. Some of the crowd have trapeze licenses(grads) but all our welcome. http://www.visit.ou.edu/HTML/images/History_Schoner.gif

ADs_Agent
8/30/2006, 08:28 PM
I consider myself the guy who sells the overpriced cotton candy

AlabamaSooner
8/30/2006, 08:34 PM
I have been to a ton of college football games and a lot of stadiums, but when we do "Boomer" and "Sooner" back and forth like that....that's unreal. SO loud and it does give you chill bumps. That's one of my favorite things in college football. A friend of mine who is currently a student at Alabama came out for the game in '02 and was amazed at how loud that is when we go back and forth.

Sooner Sig Ep
8/30/2006, 09:14 PM

Nicely done. I've been a Dallas fan since I watched Roger Staubach at age 5. It sure makes it tough to cheer for them w/ T.O. this year though. I hope they win it all and he never suits up a game.

Soonerus
8/30/2006, 09:24 PM
It does not matter if you attended OU or not, a Sooner is a Sooner...I attended and graduated from OU but was a Sooner long before I attended....

FlatheadSooner
8/30/2006, 09:36 PM

(Slow Motion Sound) Nnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Did someone say Scooter?
;)

goingoneight
8/30/2006, 09:40 PM
Heh... I know people from Pepperdine, OSU, Texas A&M, Tulsa U., and Colorado that all love OU. Funny how you don't see the reverse effect... ;)

I think the guy who brought up the Sooner "Fans" thread is just a guy who wasn't able to get good seats or something. My second-cousin is a UT alumni and he hates it when some redneck gets front-row seats to one of his home team's games because he's a "fan."

I, for one, do not hate on "fans." Although I went to OU, I've seen at several events and several companies donating money to OU academics/athleitcs/scholly funds and I question... "how many OU students work there?" A lot of people at selective schools are sour to "fans" but don't realize those "fans" may be rich folks or donors who simply paid the (outrageous) price for their ticket to enjoy a game. I have always faithfully sat in front of the TV and went to all the good games my during and before my tenure at OU, notably was my freshmen year when it really started getting good again (there were about 13 good games that year, for those wondering how old I am).

How you know you're a Sooner...

Hmmm...

... when you post and post and post jokes about Mack and Watson Brown.

Soonerus
8/30/2006, 09:42 PM
Being a Sooner transcends going to OU...

OUfan7
8/30/2006, 09:49 PM
I want to thank all you great people for understanding that it just was'nt in the cards for some of us to actually go to school at OU. I feel like i'm just as big of a fan as the rest of you all the way from Nashville. I make it out there at least once every season, i've stood on the sidelines (OU vs. KSU 86'--Thanks again Coach Switzer), i've still got my copies of "The Sooner Sportsletter (before Sooners Illustrated), I was there when Troy broke his leg, I was there for #7 (so sweeeeett!!! & ready for #8) and I have a ball everytime I make it out there (other OU fans trip out when they find out I come all the way out there for a football game). OU fans are the best, bar none!!! I do consider myself a FAN. BOOMER SOONER

P.S. I get chills just like the rest of ya'.

ADs_Agent
8/30/2006, 11:06 PM
being a Sooner is a way of life, it isn't just about a school or a team. It's about greatness, transcending mediocrity, and awe at the spectacle of pure competitive awesomeness.

ucosooner
8/30/2006, 11:18 PM
I tell people that I was Sooner Born, and Sooner Bread, I just wasn't Sooner educated. My biggest dream was to go to OU, and I ended up at UCO (I had some bad grades), but I love the school, and encourage people to think about going to UCO, but have I ever been to a UCO football game? Nope, why? Cuz then I'd hafta miss an OU game. I feel like I'm just as passionate about OU as anybody. I don't go to school there, but I have friends that do/did, and I want to see the university succeed in everything, not just sports.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/31/2006, 09:44 AM
JKTK, your post proves my point. Attending (obviously for longer than you did, ;) ) is part of what makes you a fan of the school and not just the football team.

When you attend the games, do you participate in the OU Chant?

My path to being a Sooner Fan is just the opposite from you. Since I was the first person to attend college in my familty, no one in my household had any college loyalties. I really didn't root for any college teams.

It was only after I attended, that I started to pay attention to OU sports. I can remember the glorious day in the early ninties that we derailed aTm when there were expected to compete for a MNC. I had to watch the game at O'Connels that day because there wasn't any place to stand or sit in the student section.

In my case, I was a fan of the school before I was a fan of the team.

So you cheer for the school? Go academia?

jwlynn64
8/31/2006, 10:18 AM
Academia is a part of the school overall. High regard in academics is just one more reason to be proud of your school.

It seems that you would advocate taking all the Div I programs, moving them off campus and making them into a minor league for the NFL.

Of course that is only my opinion since you seem to devalue every other aspect of the school except it's football team.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/31/2006, 11:47 AM
Academia is a part of the school overall. High regard in academics is just one more reason to be proud of your school.

It seems that you would advocate taking all the Div I programs, moving them off campus and making them into a minor league for the NFL.

Of course that is only my opinion since you seem to devalue every other aspect of the school except it's football team.

Maybe you should be on the academia forum and not the FOOTBALL FORUM.

I am simply a rabid OU football fan. I am also a rabid college football fan. You'll find many on here, so take it easy there sparky. You could go to the SO and talk about how good the OU cafeteria is vs. Kansas State's cafeteria. On the football forum, you'll find that most of us like football.

jwlynn64
8/31/2006, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure why you are getting on edge. We were talking about being a Sooner fan and if there was any distinction between going to the school or not. My contention is that if you attend the school, it increases your love of everything about the school, including academia, cafeterias, etc....

Maybe the difference is that when I say that I am a Sooner fan, I'm referring to more than just the football team.

When I asked you if it would make a differnce if the football team was removed from the school and established as it's own entity, I wanted to see if it would make a differnce to you. If so, then I think that you are more invested in other aspects of the School (aspects other than football) than you have let on so far.

AlabamaSooner
8/31/2006, 12:51 PM
The academic reputation of OU gives me a lot of pride. As much as the football team itself. OU is afterall an institution of LEARNING first and foremost. The changes and improvements that President Boren has made have really improved our image academic-wise. The numbers of Rhodes Scholars and National Honors Scholars is truely awesome. Not to mention having the best meteorology program in the nation. ;)

Doged
8/31/2006, 02:47 PM

There is a difference between being a fan and being an alumni. Not all alumni are fans, not all fans are alumni and some are both. Alumni should be proud of the shool they attended and fans should be proud of the team they support.

I'd argue that the most ardent fans are those who were raised as Sooners from childhood regardless of where they went to school. My own time at OU didn't change my fanaticism at all.. I was a Sooner fanatic long before I walked into my first university classroom and would have remained so to this day whether I went there or not.

A Sooner's a Sooner.. it's a way of life, not a statement of colleges attended. :)

AlabamaSooner
8/31/2006, 03:18 PM
There is a difference between being a fan and being an alumni. Not all alumni are fans, not all fans are alumni and some are both. Alumni should be proud of the shool they attended and fans should be proud of the team they support.

I'd argue that the most ardent fans are those who were raised as Sooners from childhood regardless of where they went to school. My own time at OU didn't change my fanaticism at all.. I was a Sooner fanatic long before I walked into my first university classroom and would have remained so to this day whether I went there or not.

A Sooner's a Sooner.. it's a way of life, not a statement of colleges attended. :)

I think that's the best way to sum it up right there.

jwlynn64
8/31/2006, 03:45 PM

I agree with most of your post but I can't agree with the totallity of your last statement though. Sometimes becoming a Sooner is all about attending the University.

I guess that I just see it as one of the many paths that people can take to becoming a Sooner.

I also think that you are over generalizing by saying that the most ardent fans are those that were raised as Sooner Fans. Just because you didn't grow up in a household where your parents were Sooner Fans doesn't make you second class fans.

ADs_Agent
9/1/2006, 12:19 AM
I've never taken a single class at OU and have probably spent more time at the university than you. I remember being 5 or 6 and my father's professor letting me sit in the back of the class and color quietly while my dad got his degree. I remember bringing all of my relatives to a tour of the campus and to Memorial stadium. I remember in jr high and high school running stadium stairs at Memorial Stadium. I remember the first ever OU game I went to and the jerk who knocked the nachos out of my hand and didn't replace them.

Blue
9/1/2006, 12:22 AM
I agree with most of your post but I can't agree with the totallity of your last statement though. Sometimes becoming a Sooner is all about attending the University.

I guess that I just see it as one of the many paths that people can take to becoming a Sooner.

I also think that you are over generalizing by saying that the most ardent fans are those that were raised as Sooner Fans. Just because you didn't grow up in a household where your parents were Sooner Fans doesn't make you second class fans.

Answer these 3 easy questions and let's see if you're really a sooner.

In 1985 when we won MNC #6

1. Who was our coach?
2. Who was #44?
3. Who was #4?

Lets see if Jwynn can get this. I bet she can't.

jwlynn64
9/1/2006, 12:50 AM
I'm guessing that you need to take some remedial reading classes since you didn't read my post stating that I didn't really become a fan until I attended starting in 1991. But since I grew up in Lawton, I'll take a crack.

1. Barry Switzer
2. The Boz
3. Holieway

I'm guessing that you are very brave since you choose to insult me on a chat board. Way to be a man Blue.

Octavian
9/1/2006, 12:59 AM
I swear I've read this gawd awful thread before....

Blue
9/1/2006, 01:09 AM
I'm guessing that you need to take some remedial reading classes since you didn't read my post stating that I didn't really become a fan until I attended starting in 1991. But since I grew up in Lawton, I'll take a crack.

1. Barry Switzer
2. The Boz
3. Holieway

I'm guessing that you are very brave since you choose to insult me on a chat board. Way to be a man Blue.

I haven't begun to insult you. By your statements, I just think you have no clue what being a Sooner is all about. Otherwise, you wouldn't say that only attending OU gives you a more complete appreciation of the University and team.

I attended Ou for a semester but couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition. I graduated from Auburn but there will never be a second place team in my heart. I was born a Sooner and I'll die a Sooner.

I don't doubt your love for OU, but I do doubt your understanding of what's going on when that ball is kicked off at 6:00 on Saturday.

Also, don't get your panties in a wad when someone calls you out on here. You won't last long. Believe me, I know.

jwlynn64
9/1/2006, 01:11 AM
I've never taken a single class at OU and have probably spent more time at the university than you. I remember being 5 or 6 and my father's professor letting me sit in the back of the class and color quietly while my dad got his degree. I remember bringing all of my relatives to a tour of the campus and to Memorial stadium. I remember in jr high and high school running stadium stairs at Memorial Stadium. I remember the first ever OU game I went to and the jerk who knocked the nachos out of my hand and didn't replace them.

You win AD. You're officially the biggest fan.

Here's your prize. :twinkies:

Enjoy while you color.

jwlynn64
9/1/2006, 01:21 AM
Blue, I'm guessing that you are getting upset at something I'm not saying. I'll chalk it up to me being an engineer instead of a journalist or writer (I'll be happy to do you up a great User's Manual though). ;)

My point was to just say that I think attending the University adds to the experience. IMHO I never meant that not going made anyone a second class fan.

Hell, I really don't know what my initial point was I have argued this in so many circles.:confused:

Whatever the point. You guys win. I'm done. Put me on the shelf with Big Hat Guy :stunned:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
9/1/2006, 01:21 AM
they bought a SUMMER HOME outside of OKLAHOMA CITY when I was 5 years old!!!!! - My gawd, a summer home in OKC! not much different than a summer home in PHX.

Blue
9/1/2006, 01:28 AM
Blue, I'm guessing that you are getting upset at something I'm not saying. I'll chalk it up to me being an engineer instead of a journalist or writer (I'll be happy to do you up a great User's Manual though). ;)

My point was to just say that I think attending the University adds to the experience. IMHO I never meant that not going made anyone a second class fan.

Hell, I really don't know what my initial point was I have argued this in so many circles.:confused:

Whatever the point. You guys win. I'm done. Put me on the shelf with Big Hat Guy :stunned:

Fair enough. I really wasn't angry. Just pumped for some football. Now get out there and root for those who can't be there.

jwlynn64
9/1/2006, 01:31 AM
I'll be there but in the nose bleed section. Look for me in section 101, row 34.

AlabamaSooner
9/1/2006, 01:55 AM
Amazing how fans of the same team can snap back at each other regarding where you are on the "who's who" list of Sooner fans. If you're a Sooner fan, that's good enough. You don't have to prove it to anybody to get their approval (no matter how many OU facts you may know). Boomer Sooner!

Readyfor8
9/1/2006, 02:11 AM
Amazing how fans of the same team can snap back at each other regarding where you are on the "who's who" list of Sooner fans. If you're a Sooner fan, that's good enough. You don't have to prove it to anybody to get their approval (no matter how many OU facts you may know). Boomer Sooner!

Says the guy with 46 posts ;)

Desert Sapper
9/1/2006, 02:13 AM

Amen! Sooner Born, Sooner Bred, or Sooner by choice, it's all the same, baby. We all love the Sooners!

KYHonorarySooner
9/1/2006, 09:06 AM

"to conclude, my life involves a pretty girl, goofy dog, and BOOMER SOONER's!"

That is pure genious

Jason White's Third Knee
9/1/2006, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure why you are getting on edge. We were talking about being a Sooner fan and if there was any distinction between going to the school or not. My contention is that if you attend the school, it increases your love of everything about the school, including academia, cafeterias, etc....

Maybe the difference is that when I say that I am a Sooner fan, I'm referring to more than just the football team.

When I asked you if it would make a differnce if the football team was removed from the school and established as it's own entity, I wanted to see if it would make a differnce to you. If so, then I think that you are more invested in other aspects of the School (aspects other than football) than you have let on so far.

I thought that you were being petty and presumptuous. That's what got me edgy.

You are coming off as a little self righteous. I don't give a frog's fat *** where you went to school. If you believe that it enriched your life, great. Say so and move on.

I am not going to argue with a 'horn about how great our Bio Chem program is compared to their's because our Bio Chem team doesn't play their's.

Even with my brief scholastic stint at OU, I still have enjoyed Denco's (Coach's now), the Mont, Pinks, O'connells, Othello's, and a ton of other popular hang outs. I'd get a Darlin' with 2 lookin' atcha. I am so enriched.

Go Sooners. (Football only, I should indicate.)

jwlynn64
9/1/2006, 09:40 AM
JWTK see dead horse.
JWTK pulls out stick.
JWTK starts beating the hell out of it. ;)

douxpaysan
9/1/2006, 10:58 AM
http://www.bjacked.net/LuvToHunt/forums/phpBB2/modules/gallery/albums/album01/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg