PDA

View Full Version : People Who Know A Lot About Computers

OUstud
8/29/2006, 09:22 PM
Alright, this may take awhile, but here goes:

In June, my computer was stricken with a crippling virus from Limewire that so crashed the computer that I couldn't even get into safe mode. When the computer did manage to load, it would take a minute just for the start menu to start crawling up the screen. Numerous attempts later, I gave up and there it lay. (note I used my dad's laptop downstairs for most posting during that time)

On a whim, in late July I decided to try again, and I managed to get into safe mode and get completely rid of Limewire and all of its non-music files. This freed up my computer, but there are still problems:

1. When I start my computer, and it gets to the desktop, a Security Alert reading "Your computer is at risk" with a checkbox (checked) then an "OK". Clicking "OK" causes it to disappear for a few seconds, then it pops up again, so I am forced to drag it to the lower left bottom corner. This is because...

2. ...when I click on an application, be it Mozilla Firefox or Norton Antivirus or whatever, a box titled "Open With" pops up, with a list of programs I can use to open the application. I can't open Norton, because it doesn't recognize that for whatever reason (I'm talking NISP, Auto-Protect Service, Norton Setup, etc.), so the popup continues. When I open any program, there is a checkable option below the program list that reads "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file", but it is grayed out and cannot be checked.

3. Paint, Word, and other Microsoft Office items cannot be opened because the "application cannot be found". (Word can be by going to recent documents, same with Microsoft Office Picture Manager).

So, can anyone help? Sorry if it was too confusing, but TYVMIA and mucho spek to helpers. :)

Zbird
8/29/2006, 10:03 PM
Format hard drive reinstall OS. (Consider Linux) Don't reload Norton AV, use AVG free from Grisoft for AV and a free firewall. Use open office for applications (also available free) -- update AVG free daily and stay off those pron sites.

garland sooner
8/29/2006, 10:17 PM
before you do that, i'd try system restore. it's under programs, accessories, then system tools. Try and go back to the day before you got the virus. If that doesn't work, do what zbird said.

OCUDad
8/29/2006, 10:56 PM
If you restore to the day before you got the virus, and it seems to work, remember that Limewire will be back in your program list. Uninstall it immediately. Go into regedit and look for Limewire entries afterward if you have to... that sucker can be a pain to uninstall.

yermom
8/29/2006, 11:33 PM
you may have downloaded a virus with Limewire, but it alone is harmless in my experience, not even bundled with spyware. Norton on the other hand is worse than some viruses i've had to clean

if you have data you need off you could install Windows in another directory without formatting the drive

Frozen Sooner
8/29/2006, 11:52 PM
(Don't steal music)

sooner_born_1960
8/30/2006, 12:03 AM
Don't share music. Take all you want.

soonerboomer93
8/30/2006, 12:25 AM
if you have a virus scan and spyware scanners installed, run them while you're in safe mode, other wise try the system restore

OUstud
8/30/2006, 09:05 PM
UPDATE: First, thank you for your suggestions. However, when I go programs-applications-system tools-system restore, even in Safe Mode, it prompts the same "Open With" screen. When I click browse underneath the list of programs, and go inside the start menu's folders to system tools, then system restore (rstrui.exe), and open system restore with that, a box with a red X says it is not a valid file name. (sorry again if it's confusing) What should I do now?

Norm In Norman
8/30/2006, 09:18 PM
Figure out a way to get your important crap off that computer and format the hard drive then reinstall the OS. If you don't format, you'll just have that same virus on there somewhere.

If you are just doing standard computer stuff (internet, email, word processing) then you might try linux (I hear UBUNTU is easy to set up). A clean hard drive would be the best time to mess with it.

If you are gaming or something you may as well reinstall the OS you have (XP?). ZBird was right. First install your OS. I'd advise installing a firewall like zonealarm or (my favorite) Sygate personal Firewall before you even think about plugging your computer into the internet. Then install AVG and get the latest updates. Then go to Windows Update and update your OS, which could take several hours. Then download and install firefox. Then OpenOffice.org. Then don't go downloading and installing **** randomly found on the internet. And never use IE if you can help it.

Geekboy
8/30/2006, 09:28 PM
Get a Mac. Problem solved.

BudSooner
8/30/2006, 09:47 PM
Get a Mac. Problem solved.

Not quite, there are viruses out there that infect macs as well as pc's, just not as many as your average pc.