PDA

View Full Version : depth chart notes

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 05:52 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&KEY=&ATCLID=24705&SPID=190&SPSID=4465

4 sophs and a senior on the OL - wow

where is huggins in the WR depth chart? both true freshmen have passed him?

love seeing youth and depth at DT. woot

anyone else worried about our LB depth?

quinton carter has moved ahead of jason carter? where is my recruiting hype thread ;)

are we going to have a punter controversy?

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 05:54 PM
The youth at OL and DT may make it tough some this year.

KC//CRIMSON
8/29/2006, 05:58 PM
WR

4 Malcolm Kelly
1 Manuel Johnson or
80 Adron Tennell or Reggie Smith;)

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 06:00 PM
We've got Pendleton in there, and most of them have game experience. Also having the senior-laden DEs there will help.

Harry Beanbag
8/29/2006, 07:33 PM
This team was building up to be something truly frightening in '07. Instead it'll be just another year breaking in a new QB. :(

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 07:53 PM
If we can be servicable at QB in 07 we'll be a top 10 type team. If Bomar could have stayed and progressed another then it may be a top 5 type team. We will have a big loss in Rufus and AD next year but losing only 8 other players will be good for the 07 team as far as overall team experience.

Collier11
8/29/2006, 09:03 PM
Even more interesting is that we have 3 fresh, 4 soph, 2 juniors on the two deep for o-line, if these guys develop we should have a great line for the next two-three years atleast

sooner518
8/29/2006, 09:14 PM
My roommate is super ****ed that Quentin Chaney sucks balls and isnt on this depth chart. I just laughed at him

boomersooner28
8/29/2006, 11:12 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&SPORT_TAB_SEL=01&DB_OEM_ID=300&KEY=&ATCLID=24705&SPID=190&SPSID=4465

4 sophs and a senior on the OL - wow

where is huggins in the WR depth chart? both true freshmen have passed him?

love seeing youth and depth at DT. woot

quinton carter has moved ahead of jason carter? where is my recruiting hype thread ;)

are we going to have a punter controversy?

OL is young...hopefully they will gel THIS year.

Huggins and Chaney haven't lived up to the coach's expectations.

Youth AND Talent at DT...WOOT!

LB depth, could be a problem. Thats why we keep hearing about Nic Harris as a hybrid backer...we'll probably see alot of nickel with Harris on the field.

I thought we were going to RS Quinton Carter? He will be a special player, but we are pretty deep in the secondary.

Cohen will be the punter. I think.

emoinwinter
8/29/2006, 11:14 PM
The thing that worries me is that we have 3 amazing DEs. Are we going to have players next year that can stepup?

Reggie Smith should be the holder. We could run some amazing fakes with him in there.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 11:19 PM
John Williams, Alan Davis, Alonzo Dotson are a good start. After Larry Birdine went down last year no one thought our DEs were going to do that much. Thibs led all DEs in sacks I believe.

Egeo
8/29/2006, 11:23 PM
i dont see lb depth as a problem...
i think lofton and baker are serviceable backups

dt's are a little worrysome, but we always pull through with the talent we recruit
and ill take this years young talented oline over last years old injured oline

lastly, im not big on darien williams coverage skills and ive been impressed with jason carters cover skills yet one finds the starting spot and the other doesnt...

nic harris has some skills though - nicklebacker with him sounds promising in pass coverage

Desert Sapper
8/29/2006, 11:31 PM

I'm just hoping nobody gets hurt. Lofton is good, and if Reynolds heals up he should be good, too, but nobody else has my confidence (minus breaking Crow's redshirt). On the other side of it, Ruuufus could have a legitimate claim to the Butkus at the end of the year if he stays healthy.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 11:36 PM
I think Reynolds redshirts if possible. It'll be better for him to be completely healthy. Next year he can take over for Rufus and hopefully be a star.

The only thing keeping Rufus from he Butkus is the PSU LB that won it last year Posluskny or whatever it is.

TheHumanAlphabet
8/29/2006, 11:37 PM
Is Hays on scholly or is he still a walk-on. Do they scholly the kick holder? Good move for fakes...

Egeo
8/29/2006, 11:40 PM
im really just worried about the safties
in the past, darien williams has been a liability in coverage (spring game for example) and opposite of him is a redshirt frosh

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 11:41 PM
I don't think any of our snappers have been on scholarship. A holder wouldn't be any different.

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 12:14 AM
The only thing keeping Rufus from he Butkus is the PSU LB that won it last year Posluskny or whatever it is.

I agree, but the last guy to come back after winning the Butkus was Andy Katzenmoyer, and he wasn't even a finalist for the award as a Junior. Also working in Ruuufus' favor is that only Brian Bosworth has won twice. I'm just hoping for a big consensus All American year.

I think Poslusny winning the thing was bogus (ie; only because he went to 'Linebacker U'). He wasn't even the best Linebacker in his conference. So if Dick can give the award for some BS reason one year, he can do it again.

He has 251 career tackles, tied with Jack Ham, and needs less than 100 tackles to become school career leader. Earlier this season, Posluszny became the first Big Ten student-athlete selected Football Player of the Week (Offense, Defense or Special Teams) three consecutive weeks since the conference began the selections in 1987.

That is the (*cough*bulls***cough*) rationale.

I just hope Ruuu is so good this year, that there is absolutely no question who deserves recognition.

Jimminy Crimson
8/30/2006, 01:56 AM
Reggie Smith should be the holder. We could run some amazing fakes with him in there.

When else is he supposed to take a breather!? :cool:

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 02:09 AM
When else is he supposed to take a breather!? :cool:

Dude...this is Reggie we're talking about here. Superman doesn't need a breather.

OU4LIFE
8/30/2006, 05:48 AM
I've been saying this for months, and it still seems that I'm the only one saying it, out DT will wind up being a huge strength for this team. Sooner rather than later.

Depth at LB is an issue with the loss of Reynolds, but barring any other injuries, we'll be fine there.

fwsooner22
8/30/2006, 07:49 AM
DANG IT...........CAN SOMEONE MAKE IT SATURDAY ALREADY

GDC
8/30/2006, 08:05 AM
Warning signs
By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
8/30/2006

After a questionable work ethic last summer, OU's loss to TCU in the season opener did not surprise coach Bob Stoops
NORMAN -- Now, one year removed from the great hurricane of 2005, those who knew it was coming, those who faced the immense task of rebuilding, say they have learned from their mistakes.

This hurricane didn't have wind and rain, and it didn't hurt anyone or leave anyone homeless. But it did flood the Sooners' 2005 season with a lot of painful memories.

In the cleanup after last year's 17-10 season-opening loss to TCU, coach Bob Stoops said he saw it coming. The evidence, he said, was a lackadaisical work ethic in the offseason that led to an embarrassing defeat and a disappointing 8-4 season.

"It was kind of like the hurricane's coming, but no one's listening to you," said strength coach and director of sports enhancement Jerry Schmidt. "You give 'em warning, you give 'em warning, you give 'em warning and they think, 'Oh, it's going to veer off. It's not going to hit us.' Then all of a sudden it's right on you and it's too late. Sometimes it takes a storm to wake 'em up."

Those hit the hardest say now they did see it coming.

"We knew we didn't work to our potential last year. Everyone

knew it. It wasn't a secret," said senior defensive end C.J. Ah You. "But we just had to learn the hard way the first game."

The clues were there long before the storm hit.

"I saw during the summer there were a lot more guys who were falling out and weren't completing the workouts. You could see it," said senior linebacker Zach Latimer. "It did carry over into the season."

One year later, have the problems been fixed?

"I think so," said senior offensive tackle Chris Messner. "It started in the winter and carried on in the summer, and I believe we had a very strong offseason. We didn't have guys falling out and stuff like that."

Said Ah You, "Last year, they said that was one of the worst summers we'd had in this program. . . . So we took a lot of pride going into this summer, we had to work out harder and work through these things and make us a better team."

The 10th-ranked Sooners open the season against Alabama-Birmingham at 6 p.m. Saturday, and the although the Blazers were 5-6 last season, they were a Hail Mary pass from 6-5, another one-point loss from 7-4 and nearly won at Tennessee. They come to Norman with the same record TCU had the previous year.

What proof is there, so far, that OU's offseason was better than '05? "I thought everything really started after the bowl game," Schmidt said. "It's not one of those things that, in summertime you say, 'Let's kick it in.' It starts in January. We felt the winter months were good."

Apparently, Schmidt has strengthened the levee to prevent another disaster.

There is no one to blame for Hurricane TCU. Believe it or not, it was the culmination of a process that may have started with guys like Roy Williams and Rocky Calmus. Follow the timeline:

Williams and Calmus had other options, but went to OU despite the losing that had occurred. They, along with Josh Heupel, J.T. Thatcher and others, stopped the losing and won a national championship.

Then came classes that included players like Jammal Brown, Vince Carter, Mark Clayton, Dan Cody, Dusty Dvoracek, Jonathan Jackson, Derrick Strait and Jason White, among others. Those players left with All-American accolades, Heisman Trophies and NFL contracts, but were largely unheralded as high school recruits. Having seen the work ethic of those who came before, the ensuing classes turned themselves (with the coaches' help) into great players.

When the 2004 seniors left -- taking with them 16 starting positions -- they also took a whole lot of game experience and the proper way to take care of business in the offseason.

"I could kind of sense when they left," said running back Adrian Peterson, "that a lot of other guys came in and felt like, you know, they were going to do the same thing those guys did because they had OU on the side of their helmet."

Defensive coordinator Brent Venables said that instead of landing recruiting classes filled with blue-collar guys hungry to prove themselves, OU signed classes full of high school stars.

"That's what's hard," he said. "A lot of times, you recruit a higher-ranked guy that's gotten a lot of attention, that's been told how good he is, he maybe had special treatment in high school and next thing you know, he doesn't have the type of characteristics it takes to become a great one."

It wasn't just leadership and work ethic OU lost in 2004. "You don't want to minimize the fact that you lost 10 guys that were drafted," Venables said. "Bad timing to not work hard and not have experience.

"Sometimes you're a victim of your own success."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John E. Hoover 581-8384
[email protected].

Rhino
8/30/2006, 10:54 AM
I don't think any of our snappers have been on scholarship. A holder wouldn't be any different. Mensik is on scholly. Rice was on scholly.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/30/2006, 11:01 AM
Derek Shaw is the snapper not Mensik. And I don't think Rice was given a scholly till his Jr or Sr year. Same with Ben Painter.

Trey DiCarlo was a walk-on his first season if I remember right.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/30/2006, 11:03 AM
rice was on scholarship for 4 years. dicarlo was given one as soon as he won the job. he took the scholly of that flake kicker from montana...

Rhino
8/30/2006, 11:11 AM
If you'd have said, "I don't think our starting snapper is on scholarship" rather than "I don't think any of our snappers have been on scholarship", then I would have agreed with you. Mensik is the back-up DS and Rice was our DS, so both make sense.

And like jkm said, Rice wasn't recruited, but was on scholly for four years.

proudsoonergal
8/30/2006, 06:07 PM
DANG IT...........CAN SOMEONE MAKE IT SATURDAY ALREADY

I mean, you substract showers and meals, it's like twenty minutes!

Rock Hard Corn Frog
8/31/2006, 11:52 AM
I've been saying this for months, and it still seems that I'm the only one saying it, out DT will wind up being a huge strength for this team. Sooner rather than later.

Depth at LB is an issue with the loss of Reynolds, but barring any other injuries, we'll be fine there.

I noticed McCoy was listed on the 2-deep. Is he battling an injury or is he simply #5 right now? The depth is exceptional at DT but I thought he was good enough to make an immediate impact. Being that all 4 DT on the 2-deep are underclassmen that is just scary.

Collier11
8/31/2006, 12:40 PM
Stoops said that they would decide sometime soon about mccoy, so they might still be trying to make that decision??

MiccoMacey
8/31/2006, 12:44 PM
Doesn't have to be made today...if he needs to redshirt because our DLine is solid, redshirt him. If he deserves to play, we can play him as needs be.

Widescreen
8/31/2006, 04:21 PM
I'm a little disappointed that Messner isn't closer to 300 lbs. I figured he'd gain more weight in the offseason.