PDA

View Full Version : The Critics/Analysts Are Already Coming Around

pgagolfpro77
8/29/2006, 02:13 PM
Mandel has decided that maybe he was a little too harsh on OU immediately following the RB thing. He calls it a knee-jerk reaction.

I think this is evidence that should we come strong out of the gate, as I hope we will, people will be all, "Damn, we were wrong on that one."

They have already begun to do so before the inital kick off....

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/08/29/college.football.power.rankings/index.html)

BOOMER, my friends.....

And I CANNOT wait till I leave for Norman on Sat.!!

:D

EDIT: LINK fixed!

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 02:24 PM
You need to edit out that second "http//" in your link, I was getting an error. Good article, though. Thanks!

jwlynn64
8/29/2006, 02:26 PM
Mandel has decided that maybe he was a little too harsh on OU immediately following the RB thing. He calls it a knee-jerk reaction.

I think this is evidence that should we come strong out of the gate, as I hope we will, people will be all, "Damn, we were wrong on that one."

They have already begun to do so before the inital kick off....

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/stewart_mandel/08/29/college.football.power.rankings/index.html)

BOOMER, my friends.....

And I CANNOT wait till I leave for Norman on Sat.!!

link fixed

I'm also excited about this weekend. I feel like a kid before Christmas. Let's hope that our package contains the sweetest PS2 under the sun and not a pair of gym socks. That would totally suck! ;)

bweezie
8/29/2006, 03:04 PM
link fixed

I'm also excited about this weekend. I feel like a kid before Christmas. Let's hope that our package contains the sweetest PS2 under the sun and not a pair of gym socks. That would totally suck! ;)

PS2? how about PS3... now that would be sweet

soonerreign
8/29/2006, 03:25 PM
Check out the last line ... Texas Longhorns (13-0)
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the two quarterbacks who are being asked to replace a college football legend and lead the Longhorns to another national championship. I'm not trying to be mean, but I think we should start soliciting nicknames. My suggestion: "Opie Squared."

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 03:38 PM
I like people that can admit mistakes...I am now a fan of Mandel.

jwlynn64
8/29/2006, 03:41 PM
PS2? how about PS3... now that would be sweet

I'm so far removed from video games I don't even know if you are joking or correcting me! :D

My oldest is two so I have a few more years before I have to worry about purchasing the latest virtual reality game for him. He'll probably have holographic emitters mounted on his ceiling!

Can you imagine playing Madden 2014 and seeing AD barrelling down on you in VR!!! yikes. I'll have to buy him some adult diapers the first time he plays! :eek:

AlbqSooner
8/29/2006, 07:47 PM
Let's hope that our package contains the sweetest PS2 under the sun and not a pair of gym socks. That would totally suck! ;)
I have NEVER enhanced my package with a pair of gym socks!

Readyfor8
8/29/2006, 07:53 PM
How about my new sig albq... Annoy a Conservative - Care about someone besides yourself, Practice Christian Values, Insist on Fact with your News.

clambe00
8/29/2006, 08:36 PM
ya

FlatheadSooner
8/29/2006, 08:38 PM
Check out the last line ... Texas Longhorns (13-0)
Ladies and gentlemen, introducing the two quarterbacks who are being asked to replace a college football legend and lead the Longhorns to another national championship. I'm not trying to be mean, but I think we should start soliciting nicknames. My suggestion: "Opie Squared."

I solicite "The Two-Headed Pimple".

Blues1
8/29/2006, 08:50 PM
Those Analysists Have Been Reading our Board -:) - and want to cover their A$$ as well as seeing & hearing good things from the practice field...After being on Sooner Boards for about 5 years I'm convinced they get at least half their material from our posts IF not more ....Why go out and Dig up your own material when with the click of a mouse they get all inside stuff right here.....

Everybody Keep R'

BOOMER SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONER...!!!!

SouthFortySooner
8/29/2006, 10:49 PM
Blues 1, you may very well be right. Being one who visits this site almost everyday it sometimes feels eerie how the media product so closely mimics what has been opined here. :D

Ash
8/30/2006, 12:18 AM
I have NEVER enhanced my package with a pair of gym socks!

heh

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 12:21 AM
My knee-jerk reaction following the idiot's dismissal was to send the Sooners plummeting into the teens. But after visiting OU's camp a couple of weeks ago, I came to realize that the Sooners are still loaded at nearly every other position and may actually be more versatile offensively with mobile QB ENA.

I'm impressed that he visited, and happy that he saw good things. I just hope nobody else changes OUr ranking. We need the underdog edge thing.

StoopTroup
8/30/2006, 01:00 AM
Colt = Saturday Night Special

RedstickSooner
8/30/2006, 05:07 AM
Mandel isn't bad.

That said, I would prefer he not move us up his rankings -- I don't care for having us highly touted, unless it's because we're sitting at #1.

I want to either be acknowledged as the best in the land, or I want to be left the bleep alone so we can fly under the radar.

This in-between crud is for the riff-raff. I've no interest in it.

soonerhubs
8/30/2006, 07:08 AM
Mandel would be wise to save time and visit this forum to find out the inside track on Sooner Football. That said... do you think he could find some way to cite this source?

GDC
8/30/2006, 08:07 AM
Stoops not spinning, but facing Bomar facts
By DAVE SITTLER World Sports Columnist
8/30/2006

NORMAN -- Has Bob Stoops entered the spin zone? Or is Stoops one of the few living in the real world these days when it comes to the quarterback situation on his Oklahoma football team?

The knee-jerk reaction is that the Sooners coach has attempted over the past few days to put a positive spin on a situation that looks awfully negative from the outside.

But the more you consider Stoops' point, the more sense he makes. Imagine that, a coach actually knows what he's talking about more than the doomsday media and the Chicken Little fans.

The response to Stoops decision on Aug. 2 to permanently dismiss starting quarterback Rhett Bomar was swift and universal. The media instantly eliminated OU from the national championship race, while a large portion of Sooner supporters were convinced the sky had fallen on their heroes' chances this season.

Stoops, however, had a different take this week as OU prepares for Saturday's season opener against Alabama-Birmingham.

On both the Big 12 teleconference Monday and his weekly press conference Tuesday, Stoops made a simple but overlooked point -- 10 and 10.

Stoops was referring to two key Bomar statistics from last season that were overshadowed by the brouhaha that followed

when he booted the quarterback off the team. The starter in 11 of OU's 12 games in 2005 after he replaced Paul Thompson, Bomar matched the touchdown passes he tossed with his interceptions.

"If you think about it, truthfully, most people got caught up in what maybe Rhett might have been some day," Stoops said. "The truth is, we lost a guy who finished the year with 10 interceptions and 10 touchdowns.

"It isn't like when you lose Ja son White, who (had) thrown for maybe 40 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Now that's different."

Stoops was close on White's numbers. The former Sooner All-American had 40 touchdowns and 10 interceptions when he won the Heisman Trophy in 2003. He came back his senior season and tossed 35 more TD passes, while having just nine balls picked off.

Stoops repeated Bomar's 10-and-10 stats again Tuesday when he met the press, and added, "That's not exactly lighting it up.

"In the end, I think people's perception was skewed on what might have been at some point in the future. But it's fair to say at this point maybe it wouldn't have been."

No kidding. And no spinning; Stoops' point is well taken.

Bomar would have been a redshirt sophomore this season had he not broken an NCAA rule and become an ex-Sooner. It's definitely a stretch to think he would have made the White-like quantum leap from 10 and 10 to 40 and 10 this year.

Not only this season, but in his career.

So what in the name of John Heisman were people thinking when they rated OU that high when Bomar was still on the squad? And why did the Sooners drop so far when he departed?

"The bottom line is, I think, a lot of people got carried away with what might have been. Maybe with a Bomar or anyone else," Stoops said. "The bottom line is we hadn't seen that yet."

While we're on this bottom-line kick, how would Thompson have fared last season had he been given the same amount of playing time as Bomar? Thompson was yanked before the end of the first half of the season-opening loss to TCU and eventually moved to wide receiver.

"Had Paul stayed there (quarterback) the entire year," Stoops said, "I think it's fair to say he could have thrown for at least that (10 TDs and 10 picks) or better."

That comment is reminiscent of Stoops' quote the summer before his first season in 1999.

Asked at the Sooner Caravan stop in Tulsa about disgruntled wide receiver Ahmed Kabba quitting the team because he had dropped on the depth chart during spring drills, Stoops said, "I think we can find someone else who can catch eight balls this season."

That line was classic Stoops. And now he gets to prove he's right that Thompson can better the 10-and-10 numbers Bomar posted last season.

"We understand the potential in Paul and what the possibilities are," Stoops said. "We feel he can be every bit as good or better."

Thompson better than the ballyhooed Bomar? Is that some Stoops spin, or has he grasped the reality of a situation that a lot of people missed?

My money's on the coach who knew what he was talking about in the summer of 1999. That fall, OU found 14 receivers who caught eight or more passes..

OUGreg723
8/30/2006, 10:00 AM
Awesome^!

OUGreg723
8/30/2006, 10:00 AM
Awesome^!