PDA

View Full Version : UAB - Minimum for OU Faithful

BermudaSooner
8/29/2006, 01:13 PM
What kind of stats do we need to see this weekend to feel good about our prospects for the year?

UAB averaged 435 yards a game last year (292 passing, 143 rushing), 27.9 points a game, and Hackney had a 144.5 passer rating (the Idiot had a 113.5). They lost in the first game of the season 17-10 at Tennessee.

This is a decent football team. They went 5-6 last year, but lost by 1 point to SMU and at Marshall, beat #24 UTEP, kept it close at Tennessee and beat Rice by 19. Their other losses were by 9 points to Southern Miss, and 8 points to East Carolina.

The 21 point spread in the OU game is 12 points higher than their biggest loss last season, and 14 points higher than their 7 point loss to a #3 ranked Tennessee team. Their 10 points against Tennessee is the only time all year they didn't score at least 20.

That being said, I'm happy if:

We hold them to 10 points and less than 300 yards.

We score 27 or more, and put up 425 yards of offense, with PT completing 55% of his passes (11 for 20) for 190 yards, AD for 140+.

Prediction: 23 - 9, lot of Sooner fans grumbling about the lack of offense.

auto
8/29/2006, 01:14 PM
AD runs for 200+ PT passes for 300+

Stitch Face
8/29/2006, 01:15 PM
Our points > their points

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 01:16 PM
What kind of stats do we need to see this weekend to feel good about our prospects for the year?

UAB averaged 435 yards a game last year (292 passing, 143 rushing), 27.9 points a game, and Hackney had a 144.5 passer rating (the Idiot had a 113.5). They lost in the first game of the season 17-10 at Tennessee.

This is a decent football team. They went 5-6 last year, but lost by 1 point to SMU and at Marshall, beat #24 UTEP, kept it close at Tennessee and beat Rice by 19. Their other losses were by 9 points to Southern Miss, and 8 points to East Carolina.

The 21 point spread in the OU game is 12 points higher than their biggest loss last season, and 14 points higher than their 7 point loss to a #3 ranked Tennessee team. Their 10 points against Tennessee is the only time all year they didn't score at least 20.

We score 27 or more, and put up 425 yards of offense, with PT completing 55% of his passes (11 for 20) for 190 yards, AD for 140+.

i was going to post this but got bored with it. remember, vanillar offense and defense...

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 01:17 PM
2 or less turnovers. I'm not worried about yardage or scores (as long as we have more points at the end of the day).

OK2LA
8/29/2006, 01:20 PM
PT passes for 300+

Wow!

soonerhubs
8/29/2006, 01:23 PM
Something I don't think we've accounted for regarding our team is the amount of turnovers our secondary WILL cause versus last year.

OUDoc
8/29/2006, 01:23 PM
2 or less turnovers. I'm not worried about yardage or scores (as long as we have more points at the end of the day).
Exactly. Although I was thinking 1 or less turnovers.

CU Sooner
8/29/2006, 01:26 PM

UAB lost their qb and have only 11 returning starters from last year's 5-6 team. Hackney was there best player. I don't think we will see such a vanilla offense as we have in the past because we need to build confidence in our offense. Although we won't be running trick plays we will open it up more than in the past. I think we pass for 175+, rush for 250+ and hold UAB to no td's and maybe a fg or two. We score 40+ and the nation takes a second look at what the season will have in store.
However, if KW resorts back to the Long playbook on opening day I will be happy with a win and 20 pts.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 01:28 PM
However, if KW resorts back to the Long playbook on opening day I will be happy with a win and 20 pts.

sweet, we've already figured out how to blame offensive suckiness on long

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 01:30 PM
Exactly. Although I was thinking 1 or less turnovers.

One int and/or one fumble.

It happens. Just minimize the mistakes.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 01:30 PM
I think 20-35 points is about right for the first game in a new offense with a new QB. But if AD goes wild it could push to around 40. I predict 31-10. I bet after the game this board will be filled with posts about how Kevin Wilson sucks. But hey that's nothing new. The current offensive coordinator will always suck.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2006, 01:42 PM
My minimum requirement is to not see 4 offensive linemen blocking 1 man. Anyone have that clip?

BermudaSooner
8/29/2006, 01:46 PM
I bet after the game this board will be filled with posts about how Kevin Wilson sucks. But hey that's nothing new. The current offensive coordinator will always suck.

ding ding ding...we have a winner

Maybe the initial question should have been, how many yards and points do we need to have 3 or less threads started about KW's suckiness. My guess there is 500 yards and 40 points.

oKOIhoma fan
8/29/2006, 01:49 PM
My minimum requirement is to not see 4 offensive linemen blocking 1 man. Anyone have that clip?

Thats some funny stuff!

fadada1
8/29/2006, 01:52 PM
i see AD in the 180-210 range with one/two decent (40+) runs.

i'd like to see PT with anything over 200 yards passing (about 40 rushing). i think that would exceed our expectations for offense. some of the back up backs with around 80 or so yards would be delicious.

no turnovers on offense.

defense: 4+ sacks and 3 turnovers. maybe get a score or a set up for an easy one.

Flagstaffsooner
8/29/2006, 01:57 PM
They went 5-6 last year, but lost by 1 point to SMU And SMU whapped TCU for their only loss the week after our meeting with them. Just saying.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2006, 02:10 PM
I'd also like to see our TO margin increase this year. Our young O-Line is going to need all the help it can get. Short fields created by turnovers that are converted into points are a good way to increase confidence.

badger
8/29/2006, 02:37 PM
I just want the players, the coaches and the fans to have a good time and not turn on eachother after OU doesn't "beat the spread" or whatever it's called.

AZSOONER
8/29/2006, 04:27 PM
I at any point during the 2nd quarter I feel "comfortable" and it continues till the end of the game, I will be happy.

UABinBHM
8/29/2006, 04:28 PM
How do you expect to get 4+ sacks when none of our QBs are pocket-passing types of QBs? They'll be rolling out on the bootleg, playing the option, etc. They wont be in the pocket long enough for OU to get 4+ sacks. If we still had Hackney, 4+ sacks might be reasonable... but not with our current QBs.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 04:44 PM
UABinBHM have you seen the OU D play? Despite not being great last year and getting our asses kicked by Texas we sacked Young 3 times that game. Against A&M we sacked McNeal and McGee 5 times. McNeal we sacked 4 times alone. Webb is a speed QB for KSU last year. He has since transfered but OU sacked him 5 times. The only other mobile QB we played was against Oregon but we got a sack on him too and he really didn't look good against our constant pressure

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 04:46 PM
that prolly will depend on the score. if you are throwing more, you'll get sacked more.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 04:47 PM
How do you expect to get 4+ sacks when none of our QBs are pocket-passing types of QBs? They'll be rolling out on the bootleg, playing the option, etc. They wont be in the pocket long enough for OU to get 4+ sacks. If we still had Hackney, 4+ sacks might be reasonable... but not with our current QBs.

You know, A&M said the exact same thing and we sacked them 5 times.

UABinBHM
8/29/2006, 04:48 PM
UABinBHM have you seen the OU D play? Despite not being great last year and getting our asses kicked by Texas we sacked Young 3 times that game. Against A&M we sacked McNeal and McGee 5 times. McNeal we sacked 4 times alone. Webb is a speed QB for KSU last year. He has since transfered but OU sacked him 5 times. The only other mobile QB we played was against Oregon but we got a sack on him too and he really didn't look good against our constant pressure

I have, but I also know UAB wont be passing very often in this game unless they're having success doing so. In the type of offense we're running right now, pretty much all of the passes are quick 5-10 yard passes. We're not going to be throwing it down the field 20+ yards very often (if at all), so unless they can break through the line and sack the QB in about 2 seconds, I dont anticipate 4+ sacks. OU will get a couple most likely, but not 4+.

Readyfor8
8/29/2006, 04:51 PM
Just win baby!!! Win the games and everything else will take care of itself!

douxpaysan
8/29/2006, 05:02 PM
i see AD in the 180-210 range with one/two decent (40+) runs.

i'd like to see PT with anything over 200 yards passing (about 40 rushing). i think that would exceed our expectations for offense. some of the back up backs with around 80 or so yards would be delicious.

no turnovers on offense.

defense: 4+ sacks and 3 turnovers. maybe get a score or a set up for an easy one.
I want world peace, a longer lasting lightbulb and morehttp://koolaide.onesite.com/images/thumb/koolaidman.jpg

TheGodfather889
8/29/2006, 05:53 PM
I don't UAB has seen a team as talented as OU. However, I think they could be tough. It's hard to judge them because it's not like anyone around here has watched them practice or watched their games from last year. I'll be happy if OU can win by 21 and both the offense and defense play well.

Pepper
8/29/2006, 06:24 PM
OU should have 200+ yards passing, 100+ yards for AD, 20 first downs
UAB should be held to <150 total yards, no TD's

soonerinabilene
8/29/2006, 06:41 PM
35+ for us, with at least 7 coming straight from the d.
i think thompson starts out throwing to back the d out of the box, and ad takes over the 2nd half. ad will have at least 80 in the final 20 mins of playing time.

if uab scores more than 10, i will be shocked. i think our d is going to be the #1 d in the nation this year.

SoonerGM
8/29/2006, 06:56 PM
i just want to see PT on his feet more than he is on his back.

AlbqSooner
8/29/2006, 07:39 PM
We score 40+ and the nation takes a second look at what the season will have in store.
I have to disagree. If we score 40+ points "the nation" will say that UAB must have serious problems on defense. The sports writers have already informed "the nation" that our entire offense went off the team with that guy from Sam Houston State or wherever.

I want a win and very few mistakes. Mental discipline showing up in few procedure penalties; a minimum of turnovers; and good in your face effort on every play will satisfy me.

goingoneight
8/29/2006, 08:49 PM
Something I don't think we've accounted for regarding our team is the amount of turnovers our secondary WILL cause versus last year.

One chicken, two chickens, three chickens... ;)

Howsaboot we just kickoff here in say, 15 minutes. I'll go tell Coach Stoops... :D

clambe00
8/29/2006, 08:51 PM
pt will not pass for more than 300

goingoneight
8/29/2006, 08:51 PM
I think 20-35 points is about right for the first game in a new offense with a new QB. But if AD goes wild it could push to around 40. I predict 31-10. I bet after the game this board will be filled with posts about how Kevin Wilson sucks. But hey that's nothing new. The current offensive coordinator will always suck.

At least we won't have someone wanting to fire Coach Stoops. ;) pwned!!!

Blues1
8/29/2006, 08:54 PM
I say --- LOTS of Sooner Fans Happy as Hell with the Offense.....!!!

OU 45 UAB 6

Still R'

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 08:56 PM
I have, but I also know UAB wont be passing very often in this game unless they're having success doing so...

Or unless they're having absolutely no success in the running game.

Not saying that'll happen (although I hope it does). But if you can't run, you have to pass.

goingoneight
8/29/2006, 08:56 PM
pt will not pass for more than 300

Damn... I guess 300 will HAVE to do... :D

swardboy
8/29/2006, 08:58 PM
UAB comes up with the surprises occasionally. Saw them beat a 17th ranked somebody one year when UAB had to go with a 2nd string qb. They beat LSU a few years ago....real unknown quantity this year. I hope it's a stroll in the park but I'm not counting on it.

OH, and I want to be officially on record here that KW does not suck thus far in the football season.

FlatheadSooner
8/29/2006, 09:03 PM
ding ding ding...we have a winner

Maybe the initial question should have been, how many yards and points do we need to have 3 or less threads started about KW's suckiness. My guess there is 500 yards and 40 points.

I was happy with Wilson after the Holiday Bowl. Hope he continues.

clambe00
8/29/2006, 09:03 PM
ya

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 01:33 AM
I just want a win. The minimum is more points than UAB. I want to see the D thoroughly dominate, especially given how one-dimensional UAB should be. Their receivers are young and inexperienced, but their run game may be the best in Conference USA this year. I want to see the offense looking comfortable, especially passing the ball. I want to see the O-Line playing disciplined, aggressive football (no penalties and big holes for AD to run through, coupled with great pass protection for ENA). UAB has a great D, but it's not going to be the best D we face all year. The O needs to get early confidence throwing the ball, and AD needs to have a big game. Bottom line: the minimum is a comfortable win by three TDs, a 200-yard game for AD, and a solid defensive performance. Anything else is icing.

olevetonahill
8/30/2006, 02:10 AM
I just want a win. The minimum is more points than UAB. I want to see the D thoroughly dominate, especially given how one-dimensional UAB should be. Their receivers are young and inexperienced, but their run game may be the best in Conference USA this year. I want to see the offense looking comfortable, especially passing the ball. I want to see the O-Line playing disciplined, aggressive football (no penalties and big holes for AD to run through, coupled with great pass protection for ENA). UAB has a great D, but it's not going to be the best D we face all year. The O needs to get early confidence throwing the ball, and AD needs to have a big game. Bottom line: the minimum is a comfortable win by three TDs, a 200-yard game for AD, and a solid defensive performance, by shutting em out . Anything else is icing.
Fixed
nOOb lol

william_brasky
8/30/2006, 02:51 AM
D pitches a shut out.

We score at least 3 TDs offensively.

Anything else is unacceptable. :twinkies:

cschellman
8/30/2006, 12:17 PM
I don't think the game will be close at all, and I think AD will put up gaudy numbers. Probably around 225 on the ground. PT? I think he'll get about 250+ passing. The team will be really fired up. I mean, REALLY fired up. We might even open the game with a home run ball deep downfield for a TD.

Luthor
8/30/2006, 12:56 PM
UAB will line up about the same way against your O as NT will line up against our O. Put 9 in the box and deny the run and see if you can throw. I think the 1st half of the season will be just like that for both of us. Oposing Ds taking risks to stop the run in hopes of forcing errors when we pass.

The 1st 5 games will be...interesting for us all.

BermudaSooner
8/30/2006, 01:01 PM
I don't think the game will be close at all, and I think AD will put up gaudy numbers. Probably around 225 on the ground. PT? I think he'll get about 250+ passing. The team will be really fired up. I mean, REALLY fired up. We might even open the game with a home run ball deep downfield for a TD.

I'm afraid you may be in for a rude awakening. I hope you are right though.

BermudaSooner
8/30/2006, 01:03 PM
I just want a win. The minimum is more points than UAB. I want to see the D thoroughly dominate, especially given how one-dimensional UAB should be. Their receivers are young and inexperienced, but their run game may be the best in Conference USA this year. I want to see the offense looking comfortable, especially passing the ball. I want to see the O-Line playing disciplined, aggressive football (no penalties and big holes for AD to run through, coupled with great pass protection for ENA). UAB has a great D, but it's not going to be the best D we face all year. The O needs to get early confidence throwing the ball, and AD needs to have a big game. Bottom line: the minimum is a comfortable win by three TDs, a 200-yard game for AD, and a solid defensive performance. Anything else is icing.

I'm confused Desert. You will be satisfied with just a win, or only satisfied if we dominate both sides of the ball? Be prepared for UAB putting some points on the board, and the chance that AD doesn't run for 200.

OUmillenium
8/30/2006, 01:18 PM
Less early season vanilla!

More Paul T

oKOIhoma fan
8/30/2006, 01:50 PM
I'm just glad there on TV out here. God bless TBS.

MiccoMacey
8/30/2006, 01:55 PM
UAB will line up about the same way against your O as NT will line up against our O. Put 9 in the box and deny the run and see if you can throw. I think the 1st half of the season will be just like that for both of us. Oposing Ds taking risks to stop the run in hopes of forcing errors when we pass.

The 1st 5 games will be...interesting for us all.

The more times a defense does this, the better our OLine will become and the better our QB will be. Same goes for Texas. It's all about getting as much experience as possible at this stage of the game.

And it's better they see it now against somewhat inferior opponents (save Oregon for us and tOSU for the Longhorns) than against the Big Twelve teams, when it really matters.

Jason White's Third Knee
8/30/2006, 01:57 PM
Our points > their points

Ding!

Soonerwake
8/30/2006, 06:22 PM
I at any point during the 2nd quarter I feel "comfortable" and it continues till the end of the game, I will be happy.

Me too......

Desert Sapper
8/30/2006, 07:34 PM
I'm confused Desert. You will be satisfied with just a win, or only satisfied if we dominate both sides of the ball? Be prepared for UAB putting some points on the board, and the chance that AD doesn't run for 200.

I'm prepared to eek out a win. I said that was the minimum, but I was really just saying we better f***ing win. I didn't say we had to pitch a shutOUt. Olevet said that. I hope we shut them OUt, but I'm not holding my breath. I think OUr D is good enough to terminate UAB, especially if they have trouble passing. I think if AD doesn't wear down the UAB D by the second half, OUr O-Line isn't doing it's job. If he gets in his swing after carry 20 or so, I expect AT LEAST 200 yards (most in the second half). Like I said, 'Bottom line: the minimum is a comfortable win by three TDs, a 200-yard game for AD, and a solid defensive performance. Anything else is icing.' I won't be happy unless we look halfway decent. Be prepared for us to come out ready to prove we are wayyy ahead of last year's opener.

AzianSooner
8/30/2006, 08:34 PM
OU will score big this Saturday.

BermudaSooner
8/31/2006, 08:08 AM
Like I said, 'Bottom line: the minimum is a comfortable win by three TDs, a 200-yard game for AD, and a solid defensive performance. Anything else is icing.' I won't be happy unless we look halfway decent. Be prepared for us to come out ready to prove we are wayyy ahead of last year's opener.

I'm with you--exactly what I'm looking for. Basically I'm hoping not to be screaming at the TV at all in the 2nd half.

BOOMERBRADLEY
8/31/2006, 08:52 AM
AD's dad is in the stands for the FIRST TIME EVER!

The team respects Paul and the O line will do everything to protect him

AD will get passes thrown to him and AD said it himself about how the UAB db's were not very good at tackling and tend to go low.

Readyfor8
9/1/2006, 01:33 AM
I am really dissappointed with some of the posts here. A win by 1 point is just as good as a win by 3 TD's. If you win by 1 point 12, 13, or 14 times in a row you hold the crystal ball (19 times out of 20).

If you think running up the score or we must win by 3 td's to be considered a good game, maybe you should ask 2000 FSU how much it helped them. Oklahoma is about winning first, stats will come later. If our team shows up this weekend and they pour themselves into the game they will win, and thats all I ever takes to make me happy as an OU Faithful.

Blue
9/1/2006, 01:38 AM
I am really dissappointed with some of the posts here. A win by 1 point is just as good as a win by 3 TD's. If you win by 1 point 12, 13, or 14 times in a row you hold the crystal ball (19 times out of 20).

If you think running up the score or we must win by 3 td's to be considered a good game, maybe you should ask 2000 FSU how much it helped them. Oklahoma is about winning first, stats will come later. If our team shows up this weekend and they pour themselves into the game they will win, and thats all I ever takes to make me happy as an OU Faithful.

You know you like the blowouts, too. :D

Blowouts are as Sooner as Bob Barry looking for his hotdog.

Readyfor8
9/1/2006, 01:40 AM
You know you like the blowouts, too. :D

Blowouts are as Sooner as Bob Barry looking for his hotdog.

I love blowouts, but this is about the Minimum to be happy. And like most men I don't have to love something to be happy with it.

Lets hang half a hundred on them, but the minimum is to win, brosef... That's how we roll...

Desert Sapper
9/1/2006, 01:53 AM
I love blowouts, but this is about the Minimum to be happy. And like most men I don't have to love something to be happy with it.

Lets hang half a hundred on them, but the minimum is to win, brosef... That's how we roll...

I think maybe we can all make the claim that a win is the 'minimum'. But, by God, we all know that not a damn one of us will be happy about just barely squeaking by UAB in NORMAN. This is OUr house, dammit! Let's take the motherf***er back!

I know Ohio State won the same Crystal football in 2002 that we won in 2000 by being the cardiac kids, but that takes it's toll on the fan. We want to win and do it in a big way, especially against the weaker elements of OUr schedule. I'm all about Sooner Magic, but we need to save it for when we really, really need it (like Oregon, RRS, @Mizzou, @aTm, @o-state, CCG, Glendale). WE need to show the world how back we are. Half a hundred by halftime. Second half reps for Halzle. That'd make me happy. :cool:

BermudaSooner
9/1/2006, 08:17 AM

Against Texas, yes. Against UAB, no. The point isn't about running up the score, but looking ready to take on better opponents. If we were to win by 1 point, but got absolutely screwed by bad calls and just some really unlucky bounces, then OK. If we were to win by 1 point, for example, on a fumble recovery with 10 seconds to go as UAB were in the victory formation, then there will be all kinds of doubts throughout the program.

I want to see the team gelling, not 4 OL blocking the same man, protecting PT, not making him rush throws that look like wounded ducks.

If we win them all by 1 point, then yes we are national champions. If we can only beat UAB by 1 point, then the likelihood of winning 13 more games is very small.

Sooner-N-KS
9/1/2006, 08:21 AM
We need to have a big win.

Look at how people are talking about Iowa St. this morning after a 3 OT win.

BermudaSooner
9/1/2006, 08:36 AM
Readyfor8,

Don't tell anyone, but part of my motivation for this thread was to get a few of our whiners on the record prior to the game, saying all they wanted was a win.

UABinBHM
9/1/2006, 08:57 AM
I wouldnt necessarily say that. You may say that barely beating UAB makes you a worse football team, but who is to say that UAB wouldnt just be very underrated? I can understand the tendency to say that you're in trouble if you win by less than what you expect, but it could maybe possibly be that this is because UAB is better than the prognosticators believe. The only way to know which one is true is to see how the season plays out. You may only beat UAB by 3pts, but that doesnt mean you cant go undefeated.

BermudaSooner
9/1/2006, 09:52 AM
I wouldnt necessarily say that. You may say that barely beating UAB makes you a worse football team, but who is to say that UAB wouldnt just be very underrated? I can understand the tendency to say that you're in trouble if you win by less than what you expect, but it could maybe possibly be that this is because UAB is better than the prognosticators believe. The only way to know which one is true is to see how the season plays out. You may only beat UAB by 3pts, but that doesnt mean you cant go undefeated.

Agree, but a big win sure would help the confidence and get the team off to a great start.

Good luck the rest of the year--we may need those scheduling points for the computers.

Bermuda Sooners Dad
9/1/2006, 01:34 PM
Big win is in order! Boomer Sooner!:D

turkey123
9/1/2006, 01:36 PM
I hope we win big, but the offensive line is a big question mark for me. I hope we pass protect well and open up some big holes for AD.

melbitoast
9/1/2006, 04:52 PM
Here's what I see: RUNNING -- same as OSU last year; slow start 1st half, O-line get comfortable in 2nd, and AD closes out 2 TDs and just under 200 yds.
PASSING -- see same game; more utilization of the TEs, a couple of shots down the field (Malcolm Kelly will wow us twice), PT will throw ~175yds, 2 TDs and 1 int from a drop or deflection.

CatfishSooner
9/1/2006, 04:59 PM
Ad will open the game w/ an 80 yard touchdown run and finish w/ 260 yards rushing and 3 td's...PT throws for 250 yards and runs for 30 w/ 1 td...UAB gets a total of 40 yards and their QB throws 3 INT's w/ 2 going back for TD's...52-0 OU

Readyfor8
9/1/2006, 05:04 PM
If we win we don't move down, and thats all thats important in College Football. You people who need 52-0 to be happy are being rediculous.

But then again I'm happy with a top 10 finish and 9-10 wins, some of you expect a championship every season and thats retarded considering where we were 10 years ago. As to the "whiners on record saying they just wanted a win" I don't know if you thought that out, because I guarantee I will be happy tomorrow night, while you will be whining about a QB that didn't throw 200+ yards and still won by 7.

Points are for Vegas, Oklahoma is about winning.

CatfishSooner
9/1/2006, 05:05 PM
ok...

westcoast_sooner
9/1/2006, 05:16 PM
Points are for Vegas, Oklahoma is about winning championships.

Fixed.