PDA

View Full Version : Okay, let's ground ourselves.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 11:50 AM
At this point in the summer, we usually start hearing lots of coach-speak and excitement from players and coaches alike. Let us now take some time to look objectively at our issues and concerns.

At the end of last season, our concerns were:

OL - lost Davin, and it was pretty shaky to begin with. The line was servicable at the end of the year and AD was breaking off 100 yard games left and right, so this wasn't as big an issue as people made of it, IMO. Still, not a strong point

TE - Bubba is gone now, and with him went the major blocking at the TE position. This is essential in an I running game, unless you have an amazing and quick Oline like USC had against us in the OB. Joe John is obviously a better pass catcher, but his blocking left a lot to be desired. I don't remember him busting on his assignments much, but he just wasn't great there.

FB - JD is gone. Game over, man.

3rd WR - Travis is gone now, and we need a 3rd guy to step up. Iglesias and Kelly are awesome, but Johnson had alligator arms most of the season. He improved, but will he be able to be the guy?

DT - For all the returning talent we have here, we still lost an NFL-caliber guy here in Dusty. I don't think any one of us can predict how that will affect the whole unit, but we all know you can't just replace someone like that. Hopefully our depth will solve that problem.

SAM - I don't think anyone noticed, but the guy that won us the Holiday Bowl is gone now. Our best pass-covering LB is being replaced by... who? A Freshman?

Safety - While not a terrible weakness, it wasn't a strong point either. Smith is moving to corner, and now what? Clayton is taking over for Carter, but that just means less game-experience.

Now, that was what we started with. What has been resolved - for sure? We can cite scrimmages and practice stats all we want, but the fact is that only more questions were brought up with the departure of Bomar. Let's run down what we should expect at the very least from these positions.

QB - Good Lord, please provide us with a QB that does not make mistakes, and is good at managing the game. We all know Paul is loved, but can he REALLY, I mean GAME REALLY, make plays and lead this team? Please. For our team's sake... NEVER BOO THOMPSON.

OL - Wilson says we're fine. AD says we're fine. We're fine, right? Well, as much as I want to believe, I don't want to be disappointed even more. We should be no worse than we were last year, but I would not expect us to be much better until Oregon.

TE - Gresham Gresham Gresham Gresham. Show me in a game, and I will believe. Until then, our blocking still sucks here, and we already had a guy that could catch.

FB - JD is gone. Game over, man.

3rd WR - Reggie? Tennel? Johnson? With MJ injured and Reggie a... well, he's a corner... We might be in trouble here until MJ returns. Who knows.

DT - Redshirting McCoy. Is that good or bad? We have tons of depth all along the line, so we should at LEAST be as good in the 4th as we ever have been. That will do wonders for our offense as well. Here's hoping.

SAM - What the hell is going on here? Reynolds had it locked up until he blew a knee. Pleasant is doing well. Loftin is doing well.. Nic Harris is doing well? Whatever, man. I still say we're going to be running a lot of nickel.

Safety - We all know Clayton is a physical freak, but will he bust? All he needs to do is hit his assignments consistently, and we'll be fine. D-Will is a fairly proven commodiity.

Okay, so there it is. Pretty much low expectations on all fronts. As little hype as possible. This is my "Do not be disappointed if we don't score 50" post. I heard the line for UAB is what... 21? Are they insane? I don't want to be doom-and-gloom, because I think this team has the potential to go all the way. But with Stoops doing all this weird closed-practices stuff this fall, and with all the off-the-field distractions, I am very worried about the focus of this team. Do not take "We'll be fine" as a vote of confidence automatically. They might also be trying to convince themselves.

That being said, I am confident we can beat UAB handily. I am confident we will have a great season. I am confident this year will be a blast. So please, even if we're not 2003 good, don't be disappointed. Have fun, and cheer loud.

Beef
8/29/2006, 11:52 AM
I think we're doomed and should have cancelled the season after kicking those guys off the team. Especially Freeby. We better hope we score every possession bc we're doomed if we have to punt. Have I mentioned that we're doomed???

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 11:57 AM
I think we're doomed and should have cancelled the season after kicking those guys off the team. Especially Freeby. We better hope we score every possession bc we're doomed if we have to punt. Have I mentioned that we're doomed???

Special teams is something I forgot to mention. But I think we'll be fine there. Observations in scrimmages and practices seem a lot more reliable in those cases.

Really, I think we'll be fine. This is more for the fan that reads all the stuff on the pay boards and gets hyped up that we're gonna score half a hunnerd and walk away smiling.

4everasooner
8/29/2006, 11:59 AM
Ok I'm going in the bedroom and shoot myself in the head. THX.

4everasooner
8/29/2006, 12:00 PM
Reynolds, is this the 5 star LB from Vegas?

CtheB
8/29/2006, 12:09 PM
But with Stoops doing all this weird closed-practices stuff this fall, and with all the off-the-field distractions, I am very worried about the focus of this team.

Actually, the closed practices have encouraged me, because it actually means we might be drilling the entire team in what they will be doing on gameday, rather than running a few token or basic packages in practice for everyone to see.

And as for the off-the-field distractions, Bomar was one even when he was on the team. So it could be the case of a double negative being a positive.

That being said, great post. Guarded optimism is what we all should have right now. Can't wait til Saturday.

The Consumate Showman
8/29/2006, 12:20 PM
Reynolds, is this the 5 star LB from Vegas?

Yes, #8 Ryan Reynolds. Kid will be a STUD when he gets back healthy.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 12:27 PM
Actually, the closed practices have encouraged me, because it actually means we might be drilling the entire team in what they will be doing on gameday, rather than running a few token or basic packages in practice for everyone to see.

And as for the off-the-field distractions, Bomar was one even when he was on the team. So it could be the case of a double negative being a positive.

That being said, great post. Guarded optimism is what we all should have right now. Can't wait til Saturday.

Agreed on all points. I concur that closing practices was the right move, it just worries me that we had to do it at all. I think a lot of it was the Bomar crapfest, but we also heard snippets about young guys feeling like they'd already won games they hadn't played. You never want to hear that, and I think Stoops did the right thing. The reports now are about how the team has toughened up and how they're having fun. THAT's more like it!

The Consumate Showman
8/29/2006, 12:28 PM
NormanPride,

I don't know whether I should go jump off a bridge or simply nod my head!?!?!?!?

Good analysis, but you've got to remember our strong points, too. AD will carry this team not ENA and Rufus simply needs to become that "vocal" leader on the D, his play speaks for itself.

I have been comparing us to the tosu team that won the NC against Miami in 2002(?). Craig Krenzel was in NO WAY a great QB. Hell, you could probably make the case that they should have used their backup, BUT, he was a leader for that Offense and a senior to boot. Clarett carried the O for most of the season and a GREAT D won them many games that year.

What I can't understand is how the national media is missing this? They ALL say that UT is going to win the Big XII and some are saying another trip to the NC game... What? They are in WORSE shape than we are and everyone out there is diluting themselves if they think otherwise. Sure Colt and Jevan may look good in practice, but have either one of them taken a college FB snap?

People all over the USA are acting like we lost the heart and soul of our team...NO WAY! We just put him front and center and have asked him to go out, manage the games, and let our strengths win us #8.

In my book, PT will always be one of the "beloved" sooner FB players!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnnyMack
8/29/2006, 12:30 PM
:les:GO TO YOUR ROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Octavian
8/29/2006, 12:30 PM
This is more for the fan that reads all the stuff on the pay boards and gets hyped up that we're gonna score half a hunnerd and walk away smiling.

Shoulda been the thread title ;)

Seriously though, I hope we can win 2 or 3 games the next couple years

westcoast_sooner
8/29/2006, 12:34 PM
Nice post. Not sure whether to take the glass is half full or half empty position yet. I think that this Saturday and next will tell us a lot more about this team. I actually think that mentally we'll be OK. Once the guys get on the field and have 85,000 fans supporting them, they'll get rolling, probably in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 12:37 PM
NormanPride,

I don't know whether I should go jump off a bridge or simply nod my head!?!?!?!?

Good analysis, but you've got to remember our strong points, too. AD will carry this team not ENA and Rufus simply needs to become that "vocal" leader on the D, his play speaks for itself.

I have been comparing us to the tosu team that won the NC against Miami in 2002(?). Craig Krenzel was in NO WAY a great QB. Hell, you could probably make the case that they should have used their backup, BUT, he was a leader for that Offense and a senior to boot. Clarett carried the O for most of the season and a GREAT D won them many games that year.

What I can't understand is how the national media is missing this? They ALL say that UT is going to win the Big XII and some are saying another trip to the NC game... What? They are in WORSE shape than we are and everyone out there is diluting themselves if they think otherwise. Sure Colt and Jevan may look good in practice, but have either one of them taken a college FB snap?

People all over the USA are acting like we lost the heart and soul of our team...NO WAY! We just put him front and center and have asked him to go out, manage the games, and let our strengths win us #8.

In my book, PT will always be one of the "beloved" sooner FB players!

BOOMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Again, I was really concentrating on our issues. Note I never mentioned RBs (we are awesome), DEs (will destroy worlds), CBs (proven on the field) or the others WRs and LBs. We'll be great there, but we already know that. The point of this whole post is not to expect too much like we did last year. Last year was such a meltdown because we all expected WAY too much of the team. We then went in a slump of predicting no bowl games (how wrong were we!) and tons more losses. I just want to avoid all that this year.

badger
8/29/2006, 12:39 PM
your entry is too long for my attention span.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 01:49 PM
your entry is too long for my attention span.

So are many things, sweetie, but I still love you. :D

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 01:57 PM
I think these are the weak points of the team right now atleast based off of what they have done.

QB only because I don't think we have a great one like we had with Heupel or Jason. But this could be a strength in the end

FB-Runnels will be impossible to replace. But we could be okay here.

TE-We may have better recievers. But the blocking won't be as good here.

OL-It's just a young group and if there are injury problems it's not very deep.

DT-Youth is the biggest reason. We don't have a stud like DD also.

LB depth is a weakness but the top 3 or 4 guys are all very good players. If Reynolds didn't tear his knee this group is pretty good overall.

S-There's no great player here. It looks to me they are all just good players. In the past we've had one guy that is a pretty much a star or showed that potential. Roy Williams, Brandon Everage, Brodney Pool, I'm sure there's others.

I think punting could be a problem too but that's more cause it's an unknown part of the team at this point.

badger
8/29/2006, 02:26 PM
So are many things, sweetie, but I still love you. :D
btw, i should warn you now... my hair is a lot shorter than it used to be.

...but I still love you too, hehe.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
8/29/2006, 02:31 PM
6 million smilies and we don't have one for puking?

:bsmf:

badger
8/29/2006, 02:32 PM
6 million smilies and we don't have one for puking?

:bsmf:
create your own.
http://www.wm-talk.com/images/smiles/puking.gif

IGR
8/29/2006, 02:43 PM
Oklahoma will be fine this year. Can't keep a good program down.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 02:43 PM
btw, i should warn you now... my hair is a lot shorter than it used to be.

You say that like it's a BAD thing! :D

douxpaysan
8/29/2006, 04:48 PM
Grounded...http://www.stressbuster1.com/pics/puke.jpg

MamaMia
8/29/2006, 07:00 PM
I'm all grounded. As usual I will believe that we will win every single game, and celebrate each win with a couple of frozen cocktails. If we lose, I'll be totally shocked, have a good cry and drown my sorrows in a couple of frozen cocktails. :P

AlbqSooner
8/29/2006, 07:27 PM
I am taking the title to this thread to heart. I am now grounded this Saturday.

I am not allowed to leave my recliner from the start of College Game Day,
(8 a.m. local) until the end of the OU game.

The only exceptions are that I am allowed to leave the recliner to obtain more food and beverage or to go to the bathroom (suggested not mandatory).

And MAYBE while I am sitting there I will think about what I have done!!

Readyfor8
8/29/2006, 07:33 PM
I'm all grounded. As usual I will believe that we will win every single game, and celebrate each win with a couple of frozen cocktails. If we lose, I'll be totally shocked, have a good cry and drown my sorrows in a couple of frozen cocktails. :P

I'm the same way. I go out and celebrate a win with some drinks. If we lose I go out and wipe my memory of it with some drinks. Thats my excuse on gameday anyways, because most of the time I just go out and get some drinks.

I drink too much, I know I drink too much because my doctor asked for a urine sample and it had an olive in it. - Rodney Dangerfield

Blues1
8/29/2006, 09:08 PM
We are Gonna Beat The Crap out of EveryBody......!!!!!

R'

SouthFortySooner
8/29/2006, 10:23 PM
I'm sorry but, there will be such a hulaballoo on this board whether we win or lose, that grounded in no wise will describe it! :D

r5TPsooner
8/29/2006, 10:24 PM
I'll be happy if we have the opposite ending as we did in our season opener last year.

ADs_Agent
8/29/2006, 10:25 PM
I'm grounded in believing that Ruuuuuufus will break the all time sack record within the 2nd quarter of the first game and Peterson will have played so well this season that past Heisman winners will step down from there past greatness to award Peterson the only player in history to win 10 Heismans in one year.