PDA

View Full Version : SO Shutterbugs

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 10:41 AM
I figured this deserved its own thread.

What cameras are you using for these photo contests? Also, what level of skill is required to use said camera effectively?

skycat
8/29/2006, 10:59 AM
I'm using a moderately expensive dSLR (all that means is that it's the interchangeable type).

But you certainly don't need a very expensive camera to take very good pictures.

Look at 12's pictures in these last two contests and see how he's using interesting light. I have no idea what kind of camera(s) he's using but it's clear that he would get good results with whatever tool you put in his hand. His subjects are almost never lit by "flat" light that illuminates the entire frame perfectly evenly.

Figuring out what kind of light to shoot in, and developing an eye for interesting compositions are two thing that will improve your shots a lot, no matter what kind of camera you use.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 11:21 AM
Leave it to a northern aggy to muck up a camera thread with lighting talk.

;) Thanks.

8/29/2006, 11:22 AM
On the job, I use a Canon D60, which I'm not even sure they make any longer. I've been using it for 6 years now and have no problems. It is interchangeable (lenses) and great for sports action and general photography.

I just purchased a nifty little Canon sd700is that isn't much larger than a pack of cigarettes. So far, so good. It has a really cool "macro" setting to get extreme closeups. I'll likely be using it from now on in the contests here. Shot my daughter's birthday party over the weekend and the photos turn out great. It has image stabilization so you can shoot without flash in relatively low light without a tripod; still getting a decent, clear shot.

You might want to avoid "digital zoom" cameras and go for the "optical zoom." Also, anything over 6 megapixels or so isn't really necessary unless you are shooting for a billboard.

I love the Canon camera line, but they are on the pricey side.

8/29/2006, 11:25 AM
Oh, and you might want to get a second opinion. Though I did win this round, I also placed last.:)

skycat
8/29/2006, 11:29 AM
Don't get me wrong, a good camera can make getting good pictures easier. There are some shots that aren't possible with this camera or that lens. For one thing, I would at least want some basic manual controls on any camera I bought. But in the end, it really is just a tool.

Think of a camera like a set of golf clubs. Sure, the right club may incrementally improve your game. And I wouldn't want to try to drive a par 5 with a putter. But if you gave a duffer Tiger's bag, and Tiger the duffers bag, it wouldn't really matter much in the end.

skycat
8/29/2006, 11:33 AM
Oh, and since when is Kansas "North".

You hillbillies are geographically challenged.

OU4LIFE
8/29/2006, 12:05 PM
I'm currently using the Cannon S1 IS.

10x optical zoom....I like it.

OU4LIFE
8/29/2006, 12:06 PM
But if you gave a duffer Tiger's bag, and Tiger the duffers bag, it wouldn't really matter much in the end.

For the duffer, no, for Tiger....very much so.

OUAndy1807
8/29/2006, 12:32 PM
I use a Canon Pro1. It's got a great lens and in automatic mode it's simple enough for my wife to use with no problems.

skycat
8/29/2006, 12:58 PM
For the duffer, no, for Tiger....very much so.

You think Tiger wouldn't blow the duffer off the course regardless of equipment used? 'Cause that's what I'm getting at.

Sure, if you have Tiger play Phil, and give Phil top of the line equipment, and Tiger gets crap it's going to make a difference in who will outplay whom. Just like if you gave two pro photographers equipment of vastly different quality.

But give a regular contributor to National Geographic your equipment, and you get the NG's gear, and the NG guy is going to make better pictures.

8/29/2006, 01:59 PM
I think the most important thing is to grill-blacken your subject before the shoot.

8/29/2006, 02:01 PM
Seriously, it is more about what and how you shoot than what you shoot with. That said, the right (CANON) gear can make your objective much easier to attain.

OU4LIFE
8/29/2006, 02:05 PM
I prefer to FIRE-blacken my subject.

But that's me.

I have NO IDEA how to shoot a real picture.

BlondeSoonerGirl
8/29/2006, 02:07 PM
YOU DIE IN A FIRE!!!

skycat
8/29/2006, 02:18 PM
Sorry to keep posting in here, but I can't help myself. :O

If you are in the market for a new camera the first thing I'd do is make a list of what kind of pictures you want to take. Because even though I've been downplaying equipment, it is a good idea to match gear to your shooting style.

So for instance, do you want to shoot kids indoors without flash? High iso performance is important to you.

Extreme close-ups like those wheat thins? You need a macro mode.

You like doing landscapes? It might be a good idea to get a camera with a wider lens than most (say 28mm equivalent or so).

Do you want to have control over how much of your image is in focus? Get a camera with some manual controls, at least aperature-priority mode.

You get the idea.

8/29/2006, 02:34 PM
Good advice from skycat.