PDA

View Full Version : Manuel Johnson out for 1st game, Reggie in?

colleyvillesooner
8/29/2006, 08:56 AM
with nagging ankle injury. Stoops said Fred Strong or Reggie Smith would start at 3rd receiver.

Two-way starter?
Sooners coach Bob Stoops buzzed an otherwise ordinary post-practice report Monday with this teaser: Reggie Smith could conceivably start at wide receiver.
Stoops said Manuel Johnson, listed as the third wide receiver, would likely miss Saturday's game against UAB with a nagging ankle injury. Asked if Fred Strong would step in as the third wideout, Stoops said, "Or Reggie Smith."

Smith is already a starter at cornerback. Should the Sooners open the game in a three-wide set, and Smith is indeed the third wideout, he'd qualify as a two-way starter and a throwback to a long-ago time.

Stoops said earlier this preseason that coaches would seek the right balance for Smith's workload. And Stoops also made the point Monday that the Sooners would send out many in their deep corps of receivers.

So Smith's actual time at wide receiver could be limited.

How many snaps could Smith see for himself on offense?

"As many as they need me for," Smith said Monday. "I know they're going to spread it out and give me a lot of rest. Whenever I'm needed, I'll go out there and try to do my best."

Smith played wide receiver, running back and defensive back during his high school career at Edmond Santa Fe.

As a senior, he rushed for 935 yards and nine touchdowns and also caught 47 passes for 607 yards and eight more scores.

Warning shot: After sizing up UAB on film, Adrian Peterson offered his take on the Blazers' defense.
Peterson noted the size of the defensive line and linebackers.

Then he took note with the UAB secondary.

"Just looking at the secondary, they're a little shady with their tackling," Peterson said. "They like to hit low. I don't know if they'll be able to hear this, but they better wrap up.

"I'm going to see if I can't make those guys pay for going low."

Thompson time: ESPN was in town Monday to shoot a feature with quarterback Paul Thompson.
The feature, which will focus on the respect of Thompson among teammates, will be shown as part of the network's Saturday GameDay package.

A writer from ESPN The Magazine also was in Norman on Monday doing a feature story on Adrian Peterson.

Backfield in motion: Recently named OU's starting fullback, sophomore Matt Clapp is readying for his most meaningful playing time as a Sooner.
A year ago, Clapp played exclusively on special teams. Now he's a key component in the success of the running game.

"I'm nervous, but I'm ready to go, because every day I go against one of the best defenses in the nation," Clapp said. "Going against them, I feel I can go against anybody."

Linebackers TBA: OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables said he's still undecided on his third starter at linebacker.
"Still competing," Venables said. "Might be a game-time deal."

Seniors Rufus Alexander and Zach Latimer are set, but junior Demarrio Pleasant and sophomore Curtis Lofton are vying for the Sam spot. And Venables suggested that Nic Harris is pushing for time, as the nickel back or at linebacker.

Or both in one.

"We call him a nickel-backer," Venables said with a laugh.

Q school: While running out of the spread attack may require nuances that differ from the I-formation, Peterson isn't sweating the transition.
Nor is he looking for tips in the styles of other spread-formation backs. But Peterson did admit to taking note of former Sooner running back Quentin Griffin during casual film sessions.

"They show a lot of tape of Q making crazy moves on people," Peterson said. "You can sit back and absorb a little of that."

By John Helsley

Blues1
8/29/2006, 09:34 AM
thanks for the info.....

4 days to go....!!!!

BOOMER SOONER

mrowl
8/29/2006, 09:37 AM
sounds like Bob is starting the smoke screen...

I like the new old Bob. :D

JonnyRed
8/29/2006, 09:41 AM
Nice. thanks for posting!

instigator
8/29/2006, 09:52 AM
That would be sweet if he is a two way starter.

achiro
8/29/2006, 10:05 AM
Anyone else getting a little excited?:D

r5TPsooner
8/29/2006, 10:14 AM
Some good news would be appreciated.

NormanPride
8/29/2006, 10:24 AM
I would say we'll be running more 2 TE sets than normal, then. Remember, Reggie only knows a few routes, and he hasn't had much time to develop a relationship with the QBs. He'll be in, but only 15 or so plays, methinks.

Personally, I'd rather save his stuff for bigger games like Oregon and Texas. While this may be exciting and fun to watch, it may hurt us in the long run as we'll have fewer things to surprise opponents with.

OUGreg723
8/29/2006, 12:44 PM
This is awesome. I LOVE ADRIAN'S ATTITUDE TOO!!

You can tell our boys are ready to rumble!

msteudem
8/29/2006, 01:12 PM
I would say we'll be running more 2 TE sets than normal, then. Remember, Reggie only knows a few routes, and he hasn't had much time to develop a relationship with the QBs. He'll be in, but only 15 or so plays, methinks.

Personally, I'd rather save his stuff for bigger games like Oregon and Texas. While this may be exciting and fun to watch, it may hurt us in the long run as we'll have fewer things to surprise opponents with.

You are correct. Bob said in his weekly press conference today that RS would play between 15 to 20 plays on offense.

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 01:15 PM
Anyone else getting a little excited?:D

[shamelessly stolen from another poster] Like Michael Jackson at a recess. [/shamelessly stolen from another poster]

MiccoMacey
8/29/2006, 01:15 PM
You are correct. Bob said in his weekly press conference today that RS would play between 15 to 20 plays on offense.

A game? Or for the year, total? ;)

I_Live_In_OK
8/29/2006, 01:20 PM
dahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh certainly. we would love to see reggie anymore.

HarrisTubbsFan
8/29/2006, 01:24 PM
Woolfolk was the last 2 way player for OU in 2001 mostly. Maybe some in 2000 and 2002 also.

CapitolSooner
8/29/2006, 01:31 PM
Warning shot: After sizing up UAB on film, Adrian Peterson offered his take on the Blazers' defense.
Peterson noted the size of the defensive line and linebackers.

Then he took note with the UAB secondary.

"Just looking at the secondary, they're a little shady with their tackling," Peterson said. "They like to hit low. I don't know if they'll be able to hear this, but they better wrap up.

"I'm going to see if I can't make those guys pay for going low."

I dont know about you guys but that gets me excited right there!! I can just picture AD pummeling their SS on the way to endzone.

snp
8/29/2006, 01:35 PM
My man crush on Reggie is reaching AD proportions.

bweezie
8/29/2006, 01:37 PM
hope they don't go too low in the dogpiles and twist his ankle full circle like last year.

JohnnyMack
8/29/2006, 01:41 PM
That would be sweet if he is a two way starter.

Instigator sighting!